Unimportant, but on the topic of female Byleth...

Chopper...

Look, just...

https://imgur.com/a/7c665Hs

She's beautiful, but her clothes are ruining my life, how can one make a cosplay of that? It's like at the top she's all Camilla-like and then suddenly from waist down she becomes a terribly badly dressed teenager (and I should know, I was one of them). Like, it doesn't make any sense, on the upper half it's all armor and details that make it elegant or aristocratic or something, then suddenly the lower half are plain shorts and some dirty-looking, ripped leggins???

And on the topic of cosplaying, I noticed almost everyone was wearing slight variations of the same uniform, and said uniform doesn't look all that interesting either. I just hope it gets better when they acquire a class or whatever it is they do now.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at Edelgard's clothes in particular for this, you can see that at these two timestamps (sorry for doing this very quick and dirty), that class changes (which seem to be by completing an exam) do change the dress somewhat.

You are right though, that is a rather weird lower half, looks like some sort of embroidered leggings (definitely a pattern going on in that picture) but still doesn't excuse the inconsistent design.

https://youtu.be/8OwUB8gf5Ac?t=264 

https://youtu.be/8OwUB8gf5Ac?t=247

Edited by Tamult

15 minutes ago, Tamult said:

Looking at Edelgard's clothes in particular for this, you can see that at these two timestamps (sorry for doing this very quick and dirty), that class changes (which seem to be by completing an exam) do change the dress somewhat.

You are right though, that is a rather weird lower half, looks like some sort of embroidered leggings (definitely a pattern going on in that picture) but still doesn't excuse the inconsistent design.

https://youtu.be/8OwUB8gf5Ac?t=264 

https://youtu.be/8OwUB8gf5Ac?t=247

That's right! the fact the class change seems to change the clothes too is my only hope, haha :lol:. Also it seems the characters will all start as "Noble" and then they can get upgraded to an actual class, sort of like the villager units such as Donnel. So I guess I'll wait for when the designs of each class come out, and hope they're not as senseless as Female Byleth's :>_<:

Thank you for posting :lol:

14 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Oh this looks just beautiful. :lol:

What do you mean :>_<:?

6 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Reactions to Female Byleth are reminding me of initial reactions to Corrin.

"What the f-where are her shoes!?"

That said this design is very...extra. Dress as the male version instead.

I actually always liked Corrin's design, including the fact they wore no shoes, something about it just looked cool to me? I don't know, I guess I'm a monkey :P: 

It also made sense, like the whole design was the same style. Poor Byleth just looks weird.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

That it looks completely stupid. Especially with that neutral expression on her face. It's a worthy successor to female Corrin.

Oh, how saddening that you think that way of Corrin :(: But okay.

I didn't actually notice any of the weird cutouts or shorts when I watched the trailer, so it's easy to miss. That, or I was still in a half-asleep daze. Looking at the screenshot, and I do agree that it's a bit much, though the it's possibly just as well most of the detail will be lost in the action when it comes to actual gameplay. Though surely current hardware is powerful enough for FE to finally implement outfit swapping that's not linked to class.

I was hoping it'd be a nice elegant pantsuit myself. :P

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

OH MY GOSH SHE'S WEARING SHORTS!  THIS IS GREAT!

No, I'm not being sarcastic.  Weird leggings aside, this is a vast improvement IMO.

You know a lot of people were complaining about her outfit including the belly button window, but eh, I'm fine with it, aside from one thing: the weird leggings, as you mention. If they were just normal tights, I'd be fine. If they were tights with a fancy pattern, I'd be fine. But as they are, they just look weird. It's like someone took a pair of scissors to them to try and cut out some fancy crosshatch pattern, but did so while drunk and while using their toes to hold the scissors.

I'm not a fan either. I generally don't mind sexualized outfits in general, but this outfit just doesn't look good to me. The ripped tights is certainly the biggest offender to me, but the "breastplate" itself looks mighty strange. It's like an open corset, with a row of separate plates in between (with convenient tummy hole), and then under that something that might or might not be fabric?

Not to mention the colors: We have pure black for the pants, dark gray for the breastplate and shoulders, very slightly lighter gray for the fabric (?) of the chest piece, light gray for the arm armor and cape, and a different gray for the tights.

I have concerns like you regarding how samey everyone looks too. All black with some white, with only minor differences for each character. Even the three houses don't seem to be visually different: same basic outfit for everyone.

I'm also concerned with the two promoted outfits we've seen for Edelgard: both were dull red everywhere. Where's my colors? :(

17 minutes ago, Ayra said:

I'm also concerned with the two promoted outfits we've seen for Edelgard: both were dull red everywhere. Where's my colors? :(

Isn't that called having a character palette?  I'm pretty sure we've had those since Genealogy of the Holy War.

I'm certain other characters will have different color sets for their non-Noble classes.

Anyway, I'll second the notion that the leggings are a much worse aspect of Female!Byleth's design than the exposed belly button.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

10 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Isn't that called having a character palette?  I'm pretty sure we've had those since Genealogy of the Holy War.

I'm certain other characters will have different color sets for their non-Noble classes.

Anyway, I'll second the notion that the leggings are a much worse aspect of Female!Byleth's design than the exposed belly button.

People refuse to believe that just because they're all in a similar colour palette because of the school uniform that their palette won't change again that promote.

The exposed belly button isn't that big a deal I didnt even notice it at first, but the armour is much less practical compared to Male Byleth's armour which I guess makes me like Male's Design more 

4 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

What a surprise. 

The community is bothered by something a female character is wearing.

Yep water is wet....only thing that bother me is honestly her eyes are a little bit wide I don't mind her outfit as much as other people even though I'm obviously going male.

16 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Oh, I'm sure certain characters will have different color sets in other classes. There's two problems though:

1) We haven't seen any vibrant color anywhere, except for arguably Claude's cape thing and the soon-to-be-dead father. Every color everywhere is a very dull shade. Even the "Tiki" and the female teacher (who has some green, yay) are mostly faded.

2) Their portrait, cutscenes and basically all their art is going to feature their default black costume. This means Heroes characters, Cipher, promotial art, fan art, cosplay, etc is all going to be black everywhere.

Overall I like her design more compared to Corrin and Robin. Finally an avatar I feel more catered with, both versions. The students are wearing uniform, so maybe they just had to put the fanservice on teachers. Also guess this is there the choice can be questioned. The students have to wear uniform (by default at least) and she kind of looks how she wants. xD

She looks a bit expressionless compared to the male though. Like she is starring into my soul. I will customize her/him anyway depending on how much it is possible, but I take these two in Heroes any time. Of course after I played the game and I may know more.

I secretly hope that the Avatar is the only one you cannot pair this time. Don't know how many will react to this and it would be more likely for me to pick the female avatar. 

All things considered, F!PC is not as bad as some of the other designs in the past (looking at you, Camilla). However, she's a teacher (a military instructor at that), so it looks bad. Not to mention that the male gets to look professional, so it has some sexist vibes. I have no idea what her leggings are supposed to be. Pattern? Ripped? I do like her default hair, though. I am hoping we have at least some customization. If we can change classes (and not sure why we wouldn't be able to), I'd like to see those uniforms and judge what I like out of them.

Also, her chest looks disproportionate. It's like someone took Camilla/Kagero's unrealistic bust and put it on a more realistic skinny girl. Here's hoping we can change body type/size, with height being a separate option.

37 minutes ago, Stroud said:

She looks a bit expressionless compared to the male though. Like she is staring into my soul

The teacher knows all! "You broke another training dummy. Don't lie."

49 minutes ago, Stroud said:

Overall I like her design more compared to Corrin and Robin. Finally an avatar I feel more catered with, both versions. The students are wearing uniform, so maybe they just had to put the fanservice on teachers. Also guess this is there the choice can be questioned. The students have to wear uniform (by default at least) and she kind of looks how she wants. xD

She looks a bit expressionless compared to the male though. Like she is starring into my soul. I will customize her/him anyway depending on how much it is possible, but I take these two in Heroes any time. Of course after I played the game and I may know more.

I secretly hope that the Avatar is the only one you cannot pair this time. Don't know how many will react to this and it would be more likely for me to pick the female avatar. 

It'll be very bad so that won't happen.

Yeah, I'm not feeling her design. It'd be a ton better if they just covered up her exposed bellybutton and maybe more of her upper body. It kinda feels like they're trying to make the F!Avatar appeal more to male players than female ones, which is disappointing.

1 hour ago, PrincessAlyson said:

The teacher knows all! "You broke another training dummy. Don't lie."

Now of to the detention room! 

Her chest may look a bit bigger because of her half chest guard hmm. Maybe its even customizable, they might have different models anyway. I may also like to choose another design, would like her to look like a veteran Warrior who is very strict with her students. But I try not to expect too much of it. 

Agree that its obvious that this the the female avatar is our fanservice, which I do not mind. They are not forbidden to do this and after Robin and Corrin they can dare to do this one time. I see a pattern there, I cannot imagine what they will do in the next game. xD

Edited by Stroud

I'm really hoping we have tons of custom options for the PC. I want to be a tall woman that looks intimidating but really pretty. And can I say again that I really like F!Avatar's haircut???

Edited by PrincessAlyson

22 minutes ago, PrincessAlyson said:

I'm really hoping we have tons of custom options for the PC. I want to be a tall woman that looks intimidating but really pretty. And can I say again that I really like F!Avatar's haircut???

Byleth showing up in pre rendered cut scenes doesn't bode well for this. The reason you never saw Robin or Corrin's body or face in cutscenes was to not have to deal with customized appearances, and thus only have to make one version of the scene. I think we could be looking at the least customizable Avatar yet since they seem to be struggling to put these together in the first place (based off the abysmal frame rate) and realistically they have to make a version for for M and F Byleth. I'm honestly wondering how even just hair color is going to work. That being said the game did get delayed, again, so who knows what's going to be in the final product.

I think as far as the weird leggings go, it could also just look weird as it seems to be a low-res texture. If they show official drawn artwork, I'd like to see how it looks on that. I don't really care too much either way, I just think the belly-button hole is an odd choice.