Best 3DS Game

Jotari

Best 3DS Fire Emblem  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Best 3DS Fire Emblem

2. 2. Best 3DS Fire Emblem (with route split)

• Awakening
    • Fates: Birthright
    • Fates: Conquest
    • Fates: Revelations
    • Shadows of Valentia
  3. 3. Best 3DS Fire Emblemish game

• Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. Corrin's trailer makes it cannon to fates IMAO. Certainly has enough Fire Emblem characters)
    • Hey, Project Steam was a thing...anyone play that?
    • Project X Zone 2 had Fire Emblem characters, right?
    • Oh yeah, Fire Emblem Warriors has a 3DS port

Oh wow. I never noticed but the 3DS sections have finally been merged. Was expecting that to happen for quite a while now. Well now that there's a convenient place for the thread, the question has to be asked, which 3DS Fire Emblem fire emblemed the best of all the fire emblems?

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going with the very biased take that Echoes was the best just because I was really, really happy to be able to play through a less clunky version of Gaiden (even if I prefer the original in some areas), as I have a thing for oddball second installments (the Western Super Mario Bros 2., Zelda II: Adventure of Link, Castlevania II, Final Fantasy II with it's lack of exp, Metroid II with it's linearity, Starfox 2 with it's not being released until well after the console it was developed for was discontinued). You don't get much more oddball than Gaiden, even if it's ideas such have gradually returned to the series.

Also, the characters felt less one note to me (with the obvious exception), perhaps because of less supports meaning higher quality to the supports. An achievement when they were originally Archanea-tier lacking of personality.

So, I'll understand anyone who wants to argue the point, but I have my favourite picked, and it's the remake.

I will say Awakening.

Not as good gameplay as Fates, but the story is massively better.

Better balanced and more reasonably challenged than Echoes.

As much I'd want to say Fates due to it containing my favorite character, I just can't say I liked the story as much as the other games and that's a pretty big mark against it.  There were moments during Awakening's story I actually felt something.  Every plot element in Fates either felt too contrived or just empty.  The one fire death in Birthright is a great example of both.  Either that, or the story's just too asinine for me to remain immersed.  Conquest was like this since the moment they revealed the truth about Garon, and it felt even worse that I actually was hyped for the story until that moment.

Echoes is a decent contender, but it certainly has its flaws.  I like Mae, Boey, the Ram Villagers, Sonya, the Whitewings, and a slew of other terrific characters in that game, but obviously the gameplay is just really bizarre, I'm not a great fan of the protagonists, and the story is messy at points.  Story isn't as bad as Fates by any stretch (in my opinion, anyway), but I liked Awakening's story more.

I took the advice of some people on the forum and got Echoes. Having beat it just a few weeks ago, I can say it was pretty good. I personally found it a little easy, even on hard difficulty (though I haven't gone to Thabes yet), though I wasn't really playing for efficiency or anything and did do a little grinding here and there. I think I most the different mechanics. Especially the way weapon types were handled. Bows are actually useful. Swords and lances feel more distinct than ever, avoiding the general trend to try and give every non-Javelin lance a sword equivalent or something. They feel like they fulfill different functions, rather than act as different parts of a spectrum / weapon triangle.

Ocarina of Time 3D. It's a fantastic remake and the way I was able to experience the story since I'm not old enough to have been around for the original release. I think that it greatly improves upon everything that Ocarina of Time had already done masterfully, and is currently my most replayed game to date.

Oh, you mean Fire Emblem.... I guess Echoes is pretty good.

5 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Oh wow, maybe echoes wasn't as underrated as I thought it was.

Yeah, it is a bit surprising. It's not just considered the best, it's overwhelmingly considered the best. Unfortunately I expect given it's release in relation to the other two, it probably sold less than the other two which were mega hits. On a less surprising note, Revelation is the least liked, and least liked meaning not a single person thus far as voted for it.

If anything I find Shadows of Valentia highly overrated on these forums. What it does well, it really does well. However, its flaws outweigh those of Awakening, though it's about on par with Fates' faults

Awakening is the best all-around package of the 3DS games.

Conquest has the best "main" gameplay.

Edited by Slyfox

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, it is a bit surprising. It's not just considered the best, it's overwhelmingly considered the best. Unfortunately I expect given it's release in relation to the other two, it probably sold less than the other two which were mega hits. On a less surprising note, Revelation is the least liked, and least liked meaning not a single person thus far as voted for it.

Yeah, that part didn't surprise me at all as Revelations took the map gimmicks to the limit of bad ideas with Ice breaking and moving platforms and that door gag that only is going to trick a first time player or someone who forgets about it, but I completely expected to be told I had shit taste in games for liking Echoes more than the others in spite of it's map design tending towards barebones plains or a slog through desert and swamp.

4 hours ago, Slyfox said:

If anything I find Shadows of Valentia highly overrated on these forums. What it does well, it really does well. However, its flaws outweigh those of Awakening, though it's about on par with Fates' faults

Yeah, that’s basically how I feel.  A lot of people here say it has the best story of the 3DS era, but a lot of my problems with the game are similar to @Thane‘s gripes about the story.  No, I think its story is nowhere near as good as Awakening’s, and a lot of those maps are torturously bogged down.

Granted it does do a better job with the overarching conflict between two nations and worldbuilding than Fates, but that’s like saying a teenager could beat a baby at a spelling bee.

Honestly, it just feels like Echoes is appreciated here less for being a good game and more for not being like the other 3DS games, and I just find that kind of pitiful and petty.

1 minute ago, Ertrick36 said:

Honestly, it just feels like Echoes is appreciated here less for being a good game and more for not being like the other 3DS games, and I just find that kind of pitiful and petty.

This pretty much, I feel like some people would have liked FE15 no matter what becasue it wasn't like FE13 and FE14, but it's really not shocking looking at how much hate those two games get around here sadly.

Yeah.

And it isn’t to disparage those who did genuinely loved Echoes the most; more power to anyone who could find more enjoyment out of it than I could (and for the record I did enjoy it well enough).  It’s just I see a lot more disdain for the first two games than praise for the third one.

41 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I'll agree with this. Echoes had many strengths that it gets lauded for and rightly so; the presentation, music, voice acting, etc. are all top notch. At the end of the day, however, that's not the meat and potatoes of a game. Important, yes, but not enough to offset its flaws. 

I think it's fair to say a lot of Echoes' gameplay is rather dated. Large, uninteresting maps, frustrating movement, cantors... I know some people like it, but I don't think many would object to admitting that it's hardly the best gameplay in the series, and that Intelligent Systems couldn't have done more to spice things up. I mean we've literally got several maps showing up more than once. 

What gets me the most is people praising the story though. I don't think it would've been glanced over this way if it didn't release just after Fates. I'm at work and can't go into detail, but take the praised worldbuilding, for example: how does this work out in the actual story? The broken country inhabited by supposed ly lazy, corrupt, and weak Zofians repel and then invade the empire made up of the resilient, militaristic  Rigelians. The topics of tactics, morale, supplies, climate, equipment etc. get lip service at best, but are mostly ignored. Alm and his soldiers can just push forward relentlessly without needing to alter their course or seemingly plan at all. There's so little happening between maps at this point and nothing really revolves around the military campaign.

Alm also completely breaks the writing in half at the expense of Celica.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

Eeeeeh, yes and no. 

Liking Echoes by virtue of it not being the other two 3ds games does come off a bit petty at first but there are reasons that the 3ds style didn't win certain people over. The 3ds style was good at some things and bad at others so if the 3ds style didn't win you over its perfectly normal to like a game that returned to a style that suits you better. If things like the overly anime designs were a deal breaker than the more conventionally medieval Echoes would naturally be a breath of fresh air in that regard. 

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Yeah, that’s basically how I feel.  A lot of people here say it has the best story of the 3DS era, but a lot of my problems with the game are similar to @Thane‘s gripes about the story.  No, I think its story is nowhere near as good as Awakening’s, and a lot of those maps are torturously bogged down.

Granted it does do a better job with the overarching conflict between two nations and worldbuilding than Fates, but that’s like saying a teenager could beat a baby at a spelling bee.

22 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Eeeeeh, yes and no. 

Liking Echoes by virtue of it not being the other two 3ds games does come off a bit petty at first but there are reasons that the 3ds style didn't win certain people over. The 3ds style was good at some things and bad at others so if the 3ds style didn't win you over its perfectly normal to like a game that returned to a style that suits you better. If things like the overly anime designs were a deal breaker than the more conventionally medieval Echoes would naturally be a breath of fresh air in that regard. 

As I said earlier, I like Echoes because it is different. Not just from the 3DS games but from the whole series by and large. The only one I have any real grudge against 3DS-wise is Revelations for reasons pretty much beat into the ground in other threads (the pacing, some of the maps, and to a degree the fact it barely gave the answers it was supposed to and left them for DLC). I enjoyed Awakening a lot the first time... even if later playthroughs pulled some of the veneer away. But then the same applies to Birthright and Echoes. Conquest and Revelations my opinion stayed somewhat more stable on. But I unironically loved OG Gaiden. I mean a lot. So much so that other than Awakening, Echoes was the most hyped I'd ever been for a Fire Emblem. So as admitted, I have a bias that stems less from dislike of the other games more from love of Gaiden... and a number of other oddball second installments.

So basically, my argument here is that I also believe there are other reasons than pettiness to prefer a game for being different. Because in the end the unusual games have a way of being more memorable for their strange choices than the games that play it safe. After all, my favourite Zelda of the lot is Majora's Mask, and that one went right down the unusual path, with some serious departure from the Zelda idiom of using an item from a dungeon to progress in the overworld to the next dungeon and more of an emphasis on side-quests. Not forgetting the time limit or dungeon items rarely being used for bosses.

1 hour ago, Thane said:

I'll agree with this. Echoes had many strengths that it gets lauded for and rightly so; the presentation, music, voice acting, etc. are all top notch. At the end of the day, however, that's not the meat and potatoes of a game. Important, yes, but not enough to offset its flaws. 

I think it's fair to say a lot of Echoes' gameplay is rather dated. Large, uninteresting maps, frustrating movement, cantors... I know some people like it, but I don't think many would object to admitting that it's hardly the best gameplay in the series, and that Intelligent Systems couldn't have done more to spice things up. I mean we've literally got several maps showing up more than once. 

What gets me the most is people praising the story though. I don't think it would've been glanced over this way if it didn't release just after Fates. I'm at work and can't go into detail, but take the praised worldbuilding, for example: how does this work out in the actual story? The broken country inhabited by supposed ly lazy, corrupt, and weak Zofians repel and then invade the empire made up of the resilient, militaristic  Rigelians. The topics of tactics, morale, supplies, climate, equipment etc. get lip service at best, but are mostly ignored. Alm and his soldiers can just push forward relentlessly without needing to alter their course or seemingly plan at all. There's so little happening between maps at this point and nothing really revolves around the military campaign.

Alm also completely breaks the writing in half at the expense of Celica.

I actually like Echoes for it's gameplay more than anything else and would even go as far as to say it has my favorite gameplay in the series. Enemy unit quality is higher yet less numerous and the new skill system gives you a lot of fun new ways to deal with situations that, unlike other games, are actually reliable thanks to the HP cost rather than RNG (though I do wish skill weren't limited to a single weapon, or if they were, the weapon is the thing that learns the skill rather than the unit so any other unit that gets their hand on that weapon can use the skill right out the gate. Being able to equip shields/rings alongside weapons would have been nice too). And while I think they should have removed the repeat maps from the game, I do actually like the maps in general. I even made a thread about how about how the criticism of Gaiden's maps was undeserved before Shadows of Valentia was released.

I do have a lot of gripes with the story. Though I think people's acclaim of it is less to do with it coming after Fates and more to do with it's top notch voice acting. Presentation is really, really important. Almost more so than writing in some cases.

Edited by Jotari

13 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Eeeeeh, yes and no. 

And i consider the artstyle being a dealbreaker petty to begin whit. Der Langrisser's character design was made by an hentai artist, the average female armor of that game make Camilla look like a nun, and i am not a fan of the guys armors either because they often have pauldrons the size of a truck and similar stupid stuff. But this hasn't prevented Der Langrisser from being the best SRPG of it's age in my opinion(wich also make it better than any fe now that i think about it, as Thracia was in that age and is my favourite fe.)

When so many people vote the game whit boat map hell and desert map hell as the best one over Conquest, that has one of the most refined if not the most refined gameplay in the series, i feel like they are not giving fates and awakening a fair chance on the thing they have done right. I can ignore Corrin stupidity by pressing start on cutscenes, i can't skip Echoes desert maps like that.

Also, imo fe plots and characters were never good in the first place so neither awakening nor fates could ruin anything, but i suppose this is an higly controversial opinion that would require a discussion on it's own.

12 hours ago, Rose482 said:

This pretty much, I feel like some people would have liked FE15 no matter what becasue it wasn't like FE13 and FE14, but it's really not shocking looking at how much hate those two games get around here sadly.

11 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Yeah.

And it isn’t to disparage those who did genuinely loved Echoes the most; more power to anyone who could find more enjoyment out of it than I could (and for the record I did enjoy it well enough).  It’s just I see a lot more disdain for the first two games than praise for the third one.

Yeah the 1st 2 games are more hated around here but that's because SF is a place that has existed since 2004-ish so a lot of people here came before FE13 but if you were to gather the community as a whole like everyone who likes FE and ask them if FE13 and 14 were good games you would get a landslide yes. Remember forums are like a secluded corner of the internet so you may hear a lot of things here but the entire FE fan community is way different in their opinions.

16 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Yeah the 1st 2 games are more hated around here but that's because SF is a place that has existed since 2004-ish so a lot of people here came before FE13 but if you were to gather the community as a whole like everyone who likes FE and ask them if FE13 and 14 were good games you would get a landslide yes. Remember forums are like a secluded corner of the internet so you may hear a lot of things here but the entire FE fan community is way different in their opinions.

Liking Echoes better doesn't mean one has to be of the opinion that Awakening and Dates are bad games. I think they're downright good games, flaws and all. I just thing Shadows of Valencia is better.

Edited by Jotari

14 hours ago, Jotari said:

Liking Echoes better doesn't .want one has to be of the opinion that Awakening and Dates are bad games. I think their downright good games, flaws and all. I just thing Shadows of Valencia is better.

Yeah that too, people should learn that there are people who like FE15 for being FE15 and not because it's not 13-14

40 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

Yeah that too, people should learn that there are people who like FE15 for being FE15 and not because it's not 13-14

I just noticed my comment had spell corrected Fates as Dates. That's so amusing I'm not even going to fix it XD

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

I just noticed my comment had spell corrected Fates as Dates. That's so amusing I'm not even going to fix it XD

Oh you just edited that comment, I remember not understanding it at all before you edited it bu tried my best to understand