Best 3DS Game

Jotari

Best 3DS Fire Emblem  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Best 3DS Fire Emblem

2. 2. Best 3DS Fire Emblem (with route split)

• Awakening
    • Fates: Birthright
    • Fates: Conquest
    • Fates: Revelations
    • Shadows of Valentia
  3. 3. Best 3DS Fire Emblemish game

• Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. Corrin's trailer makes it cannon to fates IMAO. Certainly has enough Fire Emblem characters)
    • Hey, Project Steam was a thing...anyone play that?
    • Project X Zone 2 had Fire Emblem characters, right?
    • Oh yeah, Fire Emblem Warriors has a 3DS port

21 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Yeah the 1st 2 games are more hated around here but that's because SF is a place that has existed since 2004-ish so a lot of people here came before FE13 but if you were to gather the community as a whole like everyone who likes FE and ask them if FE13 and 14 were good games you would get a landslide yes. Remember forums are like a secluded corner of the internet so you may hear a lot of things here but the entire FE fan community is way different in their opinions.

Thing is, most of the rest of the FE community from my experience say things that make me want to die.  All it is with them is they want to be suffocated by Camilla's... "assets", they want to do certain things to Nowi and Elise, they think a girl's only worthwhile if she's a little girl or has big breasts, and I just hate everything I read out of them.

I only care about the opinions of this community because I actually like the people here and would like to relate to them more.  It's just they're so dogmatically bitter about every aspect of those games, and I'd just like to find some common ground in those respects that aren't negative opinions.  Only common thing I've seen people say that I agree with is they think Oboro's one of the better characters in Fates.

And to @Jotari, again I'm not talking about people who found genuine enjoyment in Echoes.  But I know people here compare it to the other 3DS titles whenever it comes up.  I refuse to list examples because I don't want to make enemies with folks or start a flame war, but the air here is quite palpable with the sentiment of disdain towards the other games.  I can tell the difference between those who genuinely love Echoes and those just trashing on the others by how much they actually have to say about Echoes in particular.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fates and Fates: Conquest for me.

Sure, the story is trash, but it beats the other two in just about everything else, and the stories in the other two aren't exactly stellar, anyway. I liked Echoes, but I don't think I would ever play it again. I liked Awakening, but I don't think I can really go back to it after all the fixes Fates made.

7 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Thing is, most of the rest of the FE community from my experience say things that make me want to die.  All it is with them is they want to be suffocated by Camilla's... "assets", they want to do certain things to Nowi and Elise, they think a girl's only worthwhile if she's a little girl or has big breasts, and I just hate everything I read out of them.

I only care about the opinions of this community because I actually like the people here and would like to relate to them more.  It's just they're so dogmatically bitter about every aspect of those games, and I'd just like to find some common ground in those respects that aren't negative opinions.  Only common thing I've seen people say that I agree with is they think Oboro's one of the better characters in Fates.

And to @Jotari, again I'm not talking about people who found genuine enjoyment in Echoes.  But I know people here compare it to the other 3DS titles whenever it comes up.  I refuse to list examples because I don't want to make enemies with folks or start a flame war, but the air here is quite palpable with the sentiment of disdain towards the other games.  I can tell the difference between those who genuinely love Echoes and those just trashing on the others by how much they actually have to say about Echoes in particular.

Ah yes, I don't want to come off as a Casual either, the other side of the community is pretty weird.

You've got that right :P

There aren't many people who say FE15> 13/14 because FE15 =/= 13,14. Usually people either hate FE15 for being "outdated" or for being different than 13 or 14. The other big majority genuinely likes it and then there are those who just like it and then there's those who like only because it's not the other 3DS games. No matter what, we can all agree on something (except the weeaboos and the casuals, and when I say casuals I mean Elitists of Fateswakening) that Echoes did not deserve a 7.5 from IGN for, and to demonstrate one of the particular reasons "Not being able to marriage anyone to someone else, like Celica X Saber".

8 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I think a comparison is naturally going to happen, hell that's why I made this thread. But someone saying "I like SoV better than Fates because Fates had X" doesn't necessarily mean "Fates is a shit stain on humanity that deserves to be eradicated." A lot of people who give Fates guff might still like it. I like Shadows of Valentia yet you'll see me complaining about several different aspects on it. I even have critisism in my signature. Doesn't mean I don't love it though. All I'm saying is that you're making pretty broad statements that might only appear to be true on a surface level. I have no doubt there are people out there who revile Fates and that you even have examples in mind, but I don't think it's anywhere near as high as you're suggesting, at least in this community.

Edited by Jotari

The existence of Project X Zone 2 is the reason why I still have hope to see a Fire Emblem fighting game sometime. It is also the reason why I started to like Awakening a bit more. Chrom and Lucina were represented fabolously. I like their appearence way more than in Smash where they both, especially Lucina, are just fillers.
I really hope that FE characters will return in a hypothetical third part.

As for best FE maingame it's Conquest without any doubts for me. Its story might be bad, but I do not play FE for the story. Therefore its gameplay and difficulty are great. It is the first and only part after Radiant Dawn with an actual good gameplay. Some mission objectives returned and the extend of the weapon triangle was a great idea. Only the removal of weapon durability was a thing I did not like. Otherwise it feels like a mature FE to me.

Awakening was two steps in the wrong direction for multiple reasons and Echoes is pretty much the opposite to Fates. Great story (part 4 excluded), but mediocre map gameplay at best.

I have to go with Shadows of Valentia for my favorite Fire Emblem game. Awakening is close behind, but I have a lot of personal attachment to Echoes.

The game grabbed my attention immediately when it was announced. I was intrigued by the morally gray story setup, the fast paced combat animations, and the fact that it was a remake of an older game at a time I was curious in how to try out the other games in the franchise. I remember searching up every bit of information I could about the game when it was announced, which lead to me discovering SF, some lets plays, and finding out how emulators worked. It was the first game I ever pre-ordered.

Did the game deliver? Hell yes. I know full well that the gameplay isn't for everyone, but I love what's here. I love how everyone is usable and useful on every map. I love the games quirks and unique gameplay. I love the additions of arts, forging, Mila's Turnwheel, etc. that made a great game even betterHeck, I even enjoy a few of the maps for feeling more like puzzles to solve than strategic obstacles to overcome, as well as cantors for being more predictable that reinforcements. I enjoy what this game provides, and while I can understand why some people don't like the gameplay, I do, and that's enough for me.

As for the story, I do like it. I don't find it amazing, and I'd be among the first to say that it's greatly flawed, but I enjoy what it got right. Especially when it follows in the originals footsteps and subverts several cliches that are common in in Fire Emblem, such as both nations being morally grey instead of the normal "militaristic empire attacks peaceful kingdom" setup and how few members of the Rigelian army and even Duma himself aren't actually evil. They even kept the child murder, regicide, patricide, a zombie apocalypse, and having the biggest a-hole in the series not only be dead before the game begins, but he was the leader of the "good" nation, from the original Gaiden. I do fully admit I'm not the biggest fan of several of Echoes additions story-wise (with the exception of Conrad as a character and unit), and that the potential of a sequel fixing/expanding upon some of the things in the base game is a reason I don't harp on it as much as I could, but I still enjoyed what was offered.

With the above said, I still enjoy Awakening. The game can easily be broken, yes, and I'm not a fan of how IS tried to balance out the difficulty, but I personally find that the amount of replayability and freedom the player is given makes up for it. The story is nothing to write home about,  but I can say that about about so many games I don't see that as a criticism. I love the cast of both Awakening and Echoes, and for different reasons. The characters of Awakening are quirky and fun, yet they still have more to them than what first meets the eye, and Echoes down to earth cast is a nice change of pace, and there is a lot of connections between characters that is shown outside of supports. I still play Awakening every few months, with the intention of trying out a new challenge run or combination.

In short, Echoes wins in the end personally, but Awakening is a good runner up. I haven't played Fates, so I can't comment on it.

Fates and Echoes are pretty neck and neck imo. Fates has better gameplay, I feel, but Echoes has a story and graphics, so its hard to decide which is better. Awakening is my least favorite game in the series since its gameplay is by far the weakest, despite the story and characters being pretty decent overall.

19 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

As for best FE maingame it's Conquest without any doubts for me. Its story might be bad, but I do not play FE for the story. Therefore its gameplay and difficulty are great. It is the first and only part after Radiant Dawn with an actual good gameplay. Some mission objectives returned and the extend of the weapon triangle was a great idea. Only the removal of weapon durability was a thing I did not like. Otherwise it feels like a mature FE to me.

I wholeheartedly second this.

I will not open the Comparison War Box, but I can tell you that I have been playing Conquest since I got the game, about a year and a half ago. Its gameplay, objective diversity, challenge and replayability are outstanding. Sure, the story is silly, but if I were looking for an actually great story, my 3DS would never be my first stop. I just press Enter and play, that is why I got this game.

One of the two reasons why I got a 3DS in 2017 was because it could be hacked and I would be able to try plenty of games of this and previous Nintendo platforms. The other reason was the Conquest trailer that I had watch on YouTube. And it was a great purchase, for I have had hundreds of hours of fun. And many, most of them have been playing Conquest.

We're going to go with "the game I sunk the most time in", and that's Awakening by a mile.

For the 3DS-like thing, it's Project X Zone 2, because it becomes way more fun when going for low turn counts.  Even if Chrom/Lucina were terrible.

It's funny how much Gaiden/Echoe's story anger me.

Echoes has better a story than Fate by a landslide & yet it's more irritating than Fates. At least I can laugh how bad Fate's story is.

I'm not even sure why people think Echoes is under rated. It sold decently & got solid reviews

On 20.2.2019 at 10:20 PM, eclipse said:

For the 3DS-like thing, it's Project X Zone 2, because it becomes way more fun when going for low turn counts.  Even if Chrom/Lucina were terrible.

What do you mean with that?

You meant they have no good skills (like buffing attack)?

Otherwise Idk how they are terrible.

In general I find no one in Project X Zone 2 bad or worse. I know a few characters like Hiryu had advantages by having more movement, but it was not unbalanced overall imo.

23 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

What do you mean with that?

You meant they have no good skills (like buffing attack)?

Otherwise Idk how they are terrible.

In general I find no one in Project X Zone 2 bad or worse. I know a few characters like Hiryu had advantages by having more movement, but it was not unbalanced overall imo.

Memory's fuzzy, so take this with a few grains of salt.

I value juggling, damage, and mobility a lot.  IIRC, Chrom/Lucina failed at least two of those (possibly all three).  I need to replay the game, but I remember that they were perpetually behind because of it.  Plus, their characterization was, uh, bad to say the least.

Favorite 3DS FE game with Fates route split is Conquest, no questions asked. Sure the story sucked but out of all the 3DS games it is the most challenging yet fun game and has great replay value. Also, I just find the Nohrians more interesting than the boring and bland Hoshidans. If we don't count Fates as different games I would say Awakening is second best.

However, I will say that Shadows of Valentia has my favorite cast of characters so the game does at least have that going for it. Really though I like all three games even though they all have their ups and downs.

I think I had most fun while playing Echoes. Short maps along with dungeons seems the way to go for me. I tend to play for a short(er) amount of time since I got children, so playing a map that takes more then 20mins is mostly a "no" for me.

Awakening being the second best. I played that for hours before being a dad. But I don't like it as much without modifying my units like crazy. Sure, you can play it traditionally, but I (for some reason) never feel like it.

CQ is just great. Much more fun then the other Fates episodes. Too bad they really rush the story at some point, making the story worthless too follow past that point, while it should've been more interesting near the end. Never been a fan of Hosido and actually till date didn't try Revelations, even though I bought the special edition just because of it...

• 3 weeks later...

Ranking the 3ds games now that this era is over is quite weird for me since I started I playing Fire Emblem during this period and by ranking them like this I'm acknowledging that this era is over. It's not tragic as it is weird since it's the only era I was active in. But enough sentimental stuff, my ranking. Also I put my opinions in spoiler tags otherwise the post would become too long.

1. Shadows of Valentia

Spoiler

I feel really wrong for ranking this as my favourite since I acknowledge the flaws that this game has and often agree with them. But this really is the sort of game in which I'm able to overlook most of the flaws because they don't bother me personally and the things that it does well are things that I value a lot. While I wouldn´t call the story good, I do feel that the story is good at showing us the world of the game, the people of this world and how the events in this world affect these people. The production value and presentation are also really high which makes the story and characters feel a lot more dynamic. I also really like small details like Alm & Celica's overworld interactions which gives them a lot more charm. Overworld interactions from side characters are also one the better editions in this game since they make these characters feel involved in the events that take place at the moment. I could go on about all these small details but the what I'm trying to say is that it feels like the game rewards you for paying attention and because of that I'm invested.

Something I was less invested in was the gameplay. While I'm not against more basic gameplay it simply wasn't interesting. Games like fe6 & fe11 also have basic gameplay compared to prior games but they where still interesting, fe15 isn't. I once said that I hated route maps and that also counts for this game. While I wouldn't call it bad, it also isn't good and the major part that keeps this game from being great (if the gameplay was good, it would probably be one of my favourites).

Overall while I certainly understand why people would dislike the game the problems don't bother me that much and the good parts are good enough to make it my favourite 3ds game (if ranked with all the other games it would be 7th, behind fe11 and before fe13)

2. Awakening

Spoiler

Awakening was my first fireemblem game and it even was my favourite game for a while and even though my overall opinion of this game has become a lot more negative, I still like the game. 

The main reason why I still like this game despite the fact that it has aspects that I despise at the moment is how fun and accessible the game is. To put it simply, it's my ideal game to just pick up and play. This is also helped by the tone of the game which due to the generally relax music, silly character interactions at the beginning of the game and the use of color gives it a very relaxing tone to it (if this game used to much contrast in it's colors the game wouldn't have this feeling).

The story isn't good but it also isn't horrible and the interactions outside of the story are also solid on their own. While many characters feel one-note when introduced, don't have the most subtle design and often don't influence the story in a meaningful way, these supports give them enough debt for those interested in it. While I'm generally not a big fan of games that use supports as the only way to develop their characters (which is a major reason why I don't like the game as much as I did in the past) the generally relaxed tone of this game does make reading supports a lot more bearable and sometimes even fun.

And that word is the reason why I still like the game, it's fun. Even though the game itself isn't great and I can't appreciate it as much as fe15, the fact is that I still have a good time despite all of this. It's like that one movie that has so many flaws yet you really enjoy watching that movie even though you know you should probably watch better movies you haven't seen yet.

3. Fates

Spoiler

I don't like this game. It's the opposite of fe15 in that, yes, it does things right, But the things it does wrong are so important to me that I can't enjoy the game. 

First the things I like. The music is great  and while the leitmotif is quite overused it at least is a good theme. I also like how pair-up works. There are also ideas that I like such as dragon veins, my castle and the idea of skill emblem, even though I don't like how they're implemented.

Everything else I dislike. I could go on about this but I don't want to and I doubt that most of you want to read the 1000th fe14 rant. If you like the game, fine. Your reasons for liking it are just as valid as my reasons for disliking it (maybe even more valid). 

That's my opinion on every 3ds Fire Emblem game. While I'm not exactly hyped for 3houses, I'm still curious about the future and interested in how we will look back on these games in a couple of years when other games have come out.

Edited by LJwalhout

Echoes by a longshot, IDC for the others too much like almost everyone because I wasn't introduced to FE by it. I was introduced to Fe by echoes and I generally liked it when I saw my dad play it. I had a blast playing it and for being able to capture the attention of a total noob I give it some credit.

• 2 months later...

Fates no doubt, Lots of fun replaying it, and I enjoy the map design and especially the my castle features. It was also my first Fire Emblem. I find saying Fates's poor storyline the reason to despise it is silly because between the other two 3DS games, the story wasn't top notch. Awakening had a cool concept of time travel, but they never went any further after Lumina's identity was revealed. And with Echoes, the I found Celica's story completely irrelevant because only Alm can save everyone because of Falchion, and Celica essentially becomes a trophy for Alm. Speaking of Alm, the whole build up is "commoners being equal" is dashed when Alm is revealed to be the prince. So if Alm, were die, are we all doomed because no one can use Falchion due to lacking Duma's blood? 

Fates > Awakening > Echoes.

Awakening was good. I have some issues with it for sure, like pair up being poorly balanced, ninja reinforcements, and some shaky map design, but darned if it wasn't a lot of fun. Branching promotions and a stronger reclass system, good characters. Fire Emblem kinda lost me in the DS era, this game pulled me back in.

Fates is outstanding. Conquest gameplay and map design is the best in the series, and it's not even that close to be honest. The other two routes were merely more-polished versions of Awakening with same-turn reinforcements excised, better pairup, no weapon durability, better skill system... just all-around good. Great characters (there's a reason this game tears up CYL every year), great music. Pretty close to perfect outside plot, and it's not like any 3DS game wins awards for that.

Echoes I... enjoyed well enough at the time, it was fresh and different and I liked how magic worked in this game + archers feeling like they had a niche instead of being almost strictly worse than someone with a javelin. But a number of other things were clunky (the forge system, only having one equip slot, no party choice, dungeons and map design being bleh) leaves me with little desire to replay it, and I really, really did not like the plot/themes/misogynistic undertones present in the game.

Awakening > Echoes > Fates

I think Echoes outdid both Awakening and Fates in terms of story and character writing, but in terms of gameplay I think Awakening takes the cake. I also think Awakening wins the battle in map design; a lot of Echoes maps seem a bit...overly big and boring, I suppose? There isn't as much variety, from a design and aesthetic point of view. So for gameplay and map reasons, Awakening nudges Echoes into 2nd place, while all three Fates routes fall in last.

• 2 months later...

Awakening by itself is probably the best 3DS game when you combine gameplay and story. However, for route splits I picked Fates Conquest. That game has a lot of replayablity thanks to great lunatic mode is for conquest. Great maps with plenty of unit variety and build options. Best spin off game is the warriors 3DS port.

Edited by wissenschaft

• 2 weeks later...

1. Conquest

It's just the best gameplay experience the series has to offer on the 3DS.

2. Echoes

It was fun on a first playthrough, but every time I've tried to pick it back up again I get sick of playing really quickly. Still, the first playthrough was fun.

3. Shit

Plop.

4. Awakening

It was my first Fire Emblem so I have it to thank for getting me into my favorite series, but the game is just so bad from a gameplay perspective that I simply do not enjoy playing it. Won't be playing it again any time soon.

5. The rest of Fates

Awful. BR is a boring joke to play and Revelation is a chore.

Edited by De Geso

• 6 months later...

Awakening By Far...

The Blazing Blade was the first Fire Emblem game I played and was the one that got my intrigued with the series. But Awakening was the first Fire Emblem game that I truly fell in love with and is now the reason Fire Emblem is my favorite video game series of all time. I love the characters, Chrom and Lissa especially,  and Robin is my favorite Avatar, I personally liked the marriage and child mechanic, child characters had a reason for being important to the story, unlike Fates where they were there because of Pair Up. However I found the map design to be underwhelming compared to other games in the series and Lunatic Mode was just bad. Dispute its flaws Awakening is one of my favorite video games of all time and is by far my favorite and most played game on the 3DS.

I´d rank them something like this:

Conquest > Revelation/Awakening > Echoes/Birthright

I´ve read enough criticism of these games in regard to story to understand peoples gripes with the games, but things such as story, characters etc. don´t concern me. I build an army & trust nobody.

1) Conquest

What can I say? I like the games challenge, I enjoy most maps (Except chapter 16. This thing has my completionism raging. I want all the money). I like the classes I get to work with, the stacking options are as real as they get and every now and then I´ll indulge in a DLC supported roflstomp.

2) Revelation/Awakening

Rev: This purely based on the fact it gives me full access to the entire Fates cast, all classes, all weapons. I don´t mind it´s map design and there´s a few maps that allow for very easy grinding to get your units up to snuff. 10/10 sandbox.

Awakening: Pretty much the above but in Ylisse. Maps are not especially noteworthy, but the amount of dumb stuff this game let´s you get away with… just hrrr. I will never, NEVER get tired of my 1-2 range options not running out of uses. Also 10/10 sandbox, but an entire game.

3) Echoes/Birthright:

Echoes: It was… not fun playing through it the first time, but that´s partly my fault (did Celicas part 3 final map before Grieths fortress, among other things). On my second playthrough I got the item DLC and spent a few hours getting me some Star Jacinths, thereupon proceeding to flatten the entire game. That was a whole lot more fun than I thought. But the game gets, quite literally so, bogged down by move inhibiting floors. If, at the very least there´d be some more, non respawning enemies to fight on the way to the boss.

Birthright: For me it suffers from the fact it has only Hoshido cast, while not having particularly remarkable map design. The only real disappointment on this route though, was chapter 16 and the map where you fight Xander (ffs, the guy gets weaker by chapter).