Best 3DS Game

Jotari

Best 3DS Fire Emblem  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Best 3DS Fire Emblem

2. 2. Best 3DS Fire Emblem (with route split)

• Awakening
    • Fates: Birthright
    • Fates: Conquest
    • Fates: Revelations
    • Shadows of Valentia
  3. 3. Best 3DS Fire Emblemish game

• Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. Corrin's trailer makes it cannon to fates IMAO. Certainly has enough Fire Emblem characters)
    • Hey, Project Steam was a thing...anyone play that?
    • Project X Zone 2 had Fire Emblem characters, right?
    • Oh yeah, Fire Emblem Warriors has a 3DS port

Reading this thread has really made me realise I enjoy gameplay systems far moreso than things like encounter designs, if we're talking overall gameplay. Especially seeing people build up Conquest's "gameplay" so much while tearing down Birthright's. They're... mostly the same gameplay? Progression and strategy felt pretty similar to me when playing them - I did Birthright first, and then Conquest, and it didn't distinguish itself that much in my mind. Are different map objectives really all we care about here?

On that note, Echoes had some of my favourite gameplay in the series, and it's my pick for best 3DS game. I love the FFT style abilities learned from weapon EXP,  that really made me enthusiastic to kit out my units. I loved the combat arts and magic all being tied to HP, it made me use the powerful ones more instead of saving things for later. Difficulty wise it felt balanced around you popping things Invoke in a lot of chapters, which would be absolutely OP in other Fire Emblems. I loved the progression of the 3-tiered promotes.The dungeon crawling and point-and-click town segments are also part of the Gameplay, and I liked the variety they offered. None of those really have anything to do with the maps, and the maps never got in the way of them.

There are big and bland maps for sure, but you're mostly fighting cavalry and teleporting witches on them, so those battles always resolved quickly for me. One thing I thought would be a slog was the dungeon segments - breaking up dungeon exploration with top down SRPG encounters is such a clunky idea that has no right to work. And yet... those battle maps are all really small, and also resolve quickly, so the dungeons played far smoother than I expected. The only part of the game that actually made me want to throw my 3DS was Nuibaba's Abode, and that's truly one of a kind.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually when people talk about gameplay they do include encounter designs, so yeah, that's why Conquest gets praised, and why Echoes is considered weak. If you don't care about encounter design then yeah Echoes will benefit and Conquest will suffer, for all that I still personally feel Fates has the best gameplay system of the three.

3 hours ago, Lynsanity said:

Reading this thread has really made me realise I enjoy gameplay systems far moreso than things like encounter designs, if we're talking overall gameplay. Especially seeing people build up Conquest's "gameplay" so much while tearing down Birthright's. They're... mostly the same gameplay? Progression and strategy felt pretty similar to me when playing them - I did Birthright first, and then Conquest, and it didn't distinguish itself that much in my mind. Are different map objectives really all we care about here?

On that note, Echoes had some of my favourite gameplay in the series, and it's my pick for best 3DS game. I love the FFT style abilities learned from weapon EXP,  that really made me enthusiastic to kit out my units. I loved the combat arts and magic all being tied to HP, it made me use the powerful ones more instead of saving things for later. Difficulty wise it felt balanced around you popping things Invoke in a lot of chapters, which would be absolutely OP in other Fire Emblems. I loved the progression of the 3-tiered promotes.The dungeon crawling and point-and-click town segments are also part of the Gameplay, and I liked the variety they offered. None of those really have anything to do with the maps, and the maps never got in the way of them.

There are big and bland maps for sure, but you're mostly fighting cavalry and teleporting witches on them, so those battles always resolved quickly for me. One thing I thought would be a slog was the dungeon segments - breaking up dungeon exploration with top down SRPG encounters is such a clunky idea that has no right to work. And yet... those battle maps are all really small, and also resolve quickly, so the dungeons played far smoother than I expected. The only part of the game that actually made me want to throw my 3DS was Nuibaba's Abode, and that's truly one of a kind.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia doesn't have maps, it has arenas. And this is a good thing (though there was no need for Camus's map to be a rehash).

Edited by Jotari

Considering how Awakening put me off the series for years, SOV is a very easy pick for me considering how Its pretty much the only 3Ds FE game that I actually enjoy. (I'm even a weirdo who actually enjoys the map design and thinks Nuibaba's abode is an actually kinda fun map, If admittingly not very well designed for if you've lost Silique though I guess it's technically optional.)

As for 3, I really only played a small bit so far of Codename:Steam but that actually appeals to me rather than a Dynasty Warriors clone.

• 3 weeks later...

As a whole I'd have to consider all three of the 3DS Fire Emblems to be disappointing in one way or another. I'd be likely to say SoV is the best because it felt the most like a classic FE game to me, but it inherited Gaiden's heinous map design. 

Edited by Wraith

• 2 years later...

Echoes.

i am playing Awakening but the story...

Is super cliche, i love games with story " anime", but for Fire Emblem NO. just.. NO.

Awakening characters?  what a joke, anime cliche without personality and damn.. Maribelle is so horrible, idk how people can like her, she's not even a tsundere.

the gameplay... there's some good cool things, the pairings, but the rest.. feels so weird, slow.. 

BSO is pretty generic, i only like conquest and that's all. 

horrible graphics, every character looks the same and why the chars doesn't have feet? feels so weird and unrealistic..

And Fates.. i'm not gonna talk about that horrible thing...

Edited by Neezy