Can we talk about the price of the special edition?

Zalphory

For 100 dollars, Three Houses special editon comes with a steel case (which is usually gotten for free when preordering some ps4 games), a calendar, cd with music, and an artbook. Looking at other games special editions like Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, they actually get a figurine, physical map, artbook, coin replicas, steel case, and a soundtrack which all only costs 90 dollars. Even fates special edition was worth the price because it came with 3 games and some nice stuff like a bag. Im really trying to wrap my head around the justification for a 40 dollar increase provided what we actually get. If they actually included a byleth figurine, i could justify the price. Is there something im not seeing?

6 minutes ago, Maimishou said:

Seems pretty standard pricing to me. Looking at another LE I own (Atelier Lydie & Suelle's American LE), that one was $99 for the game, a CD, an artbook, a set of pins, and a cloth with the main characters on it.

At least a cloth is less lazy than a printed calendar that'll only be usable for one year.

3 minutes ago, Etheus said:

CEs with statuettes typically run over $100. 

Like the example i gave, sekiro comes with one for 90 dollars. Looking at Valkyria chronicles 4, it came with a tank figurine for 100. Seems lately, they dont :/

Edited by Zalphory

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I think this thing is overpriced. I don't like it. I would've gotten it if it was more like $75.

I preordered back when Amazon had the prime deals so a regular copy is costing me only $50. If i were to get the special edition, its $50 dollars more x.x

16 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I won't be buying it because an artbook for a game I don't like much of the artwork for has no value to me, the soundtrack will inevitably be on youtube, and cloth/pins aren't my collectible of choice (I prefer statuettes).

I preordered the special edition for now just in case they announce that the game is split into multiple games. Idk why people are speculating there may be multiple like fates but if it isnt, ill cancel my preorder for the SE.

4 minutes ago, Zalphory said:

I preordered the special edition for now just in case they announce that the game is split into multiple games. Idk why people are speculating there may be multiple like fates but if it isnt, ill cancel my preorder for the SE.

I don't think that will happen, for the simple reason that Switch games have an inherently higher MSRP than 3DS ones.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Fire Emblem isn't Pokemon, and I don't think it can get away with the same anti-consumer shit as Pokemon all the time.

Also, I think Nintendo would have the decency to tell retailers that the game will be split. Allowing pre-orders to happen and then forcing the stores to cancel them all is going to sour business relations.

Edited by Etheus

14 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I don't think that will happen, for the simple reason that Switch games have an inherently higher MSRP than 3DS ones.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Fire Emblem isn't Pokemon, and I don't think it can get away with the same anti-consumer shit as Pokemon all the time.

Also, I think Nintendo would have the decency to tell retailers that the game will be split. Allowing pre-orders to happen and then forcing the stores to cancel them all is going to sour business relations.

I hope you're right. I didn't think they would pull another pokemon considering preorders for the SE are up already. If it was split, they should have mentioned it during the direct. It's people talking about it being potentially so that makes me nervous. I feel like its even less of a chance considering its the first main ip for the switch.

8 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Standard price for these sorts of things these days. It’s not abnormal at all.

Yeah i agree that the standard for SEs nowadays are on average $100. But the point im trying to make is that i feel like they're trying to market their SE at the same price, with less things or less quality. The examples i provided in the posts above are games that recently released or are about to be released which shows the discrepancy between the content of SEs. Another good set of examples is looking at the "gold" edition of games that have come out for the other consoles priced at $100; they at least come with season passes in addition to some extras like the steel case.(im sorry, im just upset that all we get is an easily printed paper calender and a CD instead of a USB drive in the US edition D:)

The special edition will probably end up being around $120 dollars for Canada because our dollar stinks but I'll end up buying it because I'm very much an avid collector of art books (drawing and game making inspiration) and the cover for it looks really really pretty, in my opinion. 

It feels pretty standard especially since Switch games are $90 on average including tax in Canada so the additional artbook, soundtrack, calendar, and steel book for the additional $30 feels about right. Whatever the special edition ends up costing, I'll buy it regardless since I rarely buy special editions to begin with.

Yeah this is normal pricing to me, every Switch SE I have really looked at cost the same amount.  I have my preorder in.  my TMS SE cost me $99, so me paying $99 for this one is fine.  If you think this is too much just get the base game.  I think people complaining about the price a bit too much, the Fates SE was $89 so not much difference.

17 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I agree with all of this, specially the fact that they would have said so by now. The game even has a launch date already, it's not like they can hide it and then surprise people with a split game the moment it comes out.

Moreover... 3H isn't generating half of the hype Fates did. Sales wouldn't go well even if they had the nerve to split the game again. Besides, the Switch can handle more than one path in one game, although I don't think this will be the case.

And on that topic... I don't think the artbook in this one is worth paying for this special edition :>_<:

Well, it's not the best price for what's in it, but it could be worse.

That being said, I wouldn't pick it up for that much as it (or the others, I picked SoV for 45 because it was on sale. Absolutely more than worth that much.).

As we are all FE fans, i was just thinking that the devs could have come up with something a little better than a paper calendar to set itself apart from all the other SEs for other games. Otherwise everything else is standard content that's in every SE. I mean wouldnt you guys be excited for a Byleth figurine or something along those lines instead? Even if it was priced a bit more?

I may be old fashioned, but Mechwarrior 2's game disk DOUBLED as music CD when you put it in a CD player. I just don't see $100 as a good price point, it's on the high side for me even if it included a figure, which it doesn't.

Besides, I prefer the USB drive Europe has, so I'm out of luck anyway.

15 minutes ago, Zalphory said:

As we are all FE fans, i was just thinking that the devs could have come up with something a little better than a paper calendar to set itself apart from all the other SEs for other games. Otherwise everything else is standard content that's in every SE. I mean wouldnt you guys be excited for a Byleth figurine or something along those lines instead? Even if it was priced a bit more?

I think it depends on what you're looking for! It'd be hard to find something that would please everyone so I think people will always disagree on what should be in it. Personally, I'm not big on figurines mainly because I don't have the space for it but if it was something like a Three Houses themed Switch case, than that would be pretty cool. 

Edited by carefreejules

It's standard pricing and anything cheaper is usually that way to entice more buyers. Or the items themselves aren't of high quality. Packaging costs a lot more than one might think and the artbook is deceptively pricey as well. Hardcovers always cost more than paperback and it's usually by a significant margin. The limited amount ramps up the price as well since limited stuff is always more expensive because of the demand. That being said, this isn't a good deal for me because I just want the game + artbook. 

Edited by ChickenBits

1 hour ago, Zalphory said:

For 100 dollars, Three Houses special editon comes with a steel case (which is usually gotten for free when preordering some ps4 games), a calendar, cd with music, and an artbook. Looking at other games special editions like Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, they actually get a figurine, physical map, artbook, coin replicas, steel case, and a soundtrack which all only costs 90 dollars. Even fates special edition was worth the price because it came with 3 games and some nice stuff like a bag. Im really trying to wrap my head around the justification for a 40 dollar increase provided what we actually get. If they actually included a byleth figurine, i could justify the price. Is there something im not seeing?

there will be 2 versions for NA/EU actually, with the main difference being the calendar for NA, and a pin set for EU.

both versions will have everything else, except for the music wich will be on cd for NA, and on USB key for EU.

to be honest, it looks overpriced for what it has to offer, especially because a calendar isn't really a great collectible item, and the 3 pins of the game badges aren't a big deal either.

a collector will probably aim for the EU version, if they really want some unique stuff. an Amiibo would have probably been a way better item for a special edition, since so far we had all main characters from Shadow Dragon and further titles onward turned into Amiibos( with the only exceptions for Roy and Ike ).

as for me, i think i'll pass. most of what's inside in terms of art and music will be found on the internet soon or later anyway, so i'll just wait.

It's certainly a bit of a let down when compared to SoV's LE (especially the European version which came with two amiibo), however I'm probably still gonna buy it since I really want the artbook since I actually like the art so far. I don't actually know the price since it's not up for preorder anywhere for me, but if it's like €100~, I wont mind cashing out, as long as it's not like Fates' which was €120 (then Sov's was €110 which made no sense considering SoV's had way more stuff).

I wouldn't get it. I got them for Fates and SoV and both were a let down. The art and sound track (as in the whole thing, not just the sample they give here) will be available online later which just leaves the steel case and a callender which aren't worth a $40 mark up.