My Biggest Frustration With This Game

My issues/concerns over the school setting greatly depend on whether or not we are going to be there for the whole game or only there as part of a sort of extended Prologue. 

If it's just a temporary setting used to establish the character's relationships and stuff for dramatic effect later on in the game then great. I think it's a fantastic idea. But if this is how the entire game is going to operate and where we'll be the whole time, then I'm a bit worried as the typical "high school" stuff has a much higher chance of being included. And simply the setting itself just seem at odds with the kind of grand story and series of events I expect out of FE and make certain things a bit more complicated. It's hard to create a real sense of drama and tension when you're still in a school picking out lesson plans and tutoring 40 hours into the game. And just things like bringing in non-students into the army just 

22 minutes ago, Enduin said:

My issues/concerns over the school setting greatly depend on whether or not we are going to be there for the whole game or only there as part of a sort of extended Prologue. 

If it's just a temporary setting used to establish the character's relationships and stuff for dramatic effect later on in the game then great. I think it's a fantastic idea. But if this is how the entire game is going to operate and where we'll be the whole time, then I'm a bit worried as the typical "high school" stuff has a much higher chance of being included. And simply the setting itself just seem at odds with the kind of grand story and series of events I expect out of FE and make certain things a bit more complicated. It's hard to create a real sense of drama and tension when you're still in a school picking out lesson plans and tutoring 40 hours into the game. And just things like bringing in non-students into the army just 

I mean, I know I keep referring to it, but Harry Potter wouldn't have ever been a critically acclaimed series if you couldn't make a story that takes place mostly in a school interesting and good.

Granted, the simple fact that Hogwarts is magical as a whole and full of all sorts of little secrets and mysteries helps.  But you can make a good, serious "school story" that's rather grand in scale.  While there are plenty of slice-of-life, tropey stinkers out there, there are plenty of good stories that take place in schools.

So at the end of the day, while I am cautious about it due to all the ways I know how it can turn out poorly, I am open to the idea because I know of ways it's done right.  And besides, I think it works well towards the gameplay narrative because the whole point of a school is to learn and grow, and those are gameplay elements that are emphasized rather strongly in the latest trailer.

1 minute ago, Ertrick36 said:

I mean, I know I keep referring to it, but Harry Potter wouldn't have ever been a critically acclaimed series if you couldn't make a story that takes place mostly in a school interesting and good.

Granted, the simple fact that Hogwarts is magical as a whole and full of all sorts of little secrets and mysteries helps.  But you can make a good, serious "school story" that's rather grand in scale.  While there are plenty of slice-of-life, tropey stinkers out there, there are plenty of good stories that take place in schools.

So at the end of the day, while I am cautious about it due to all the ways I know how it can turn out poorly, I am open to the idea because I know of ways it's done right.  And besides, I think it works well towards the gameplay narrative because the whole point of a school is to learn and grow, and those are gameplay elements that are emphasized rather strongly in the latest trailer.

It's not a matter of whether or not school settings can ever be interesting or grand it's a matter of FE being a series about continental wide war and the idea that we would spend the entire time in a school setting as a teacher with their students whilst also going off on real military campaigns is absurd.The two just don't mix. How do you justify fighting dozens of battles across Fodlan for the fate of the world but still needing to make sure we put some time aside in order have our Fundamentals of Lances lecture and tutoring time for those struggling with their Axe skills? When the world is at war with itself is maintaining school life for those fighting in said war really that important and necessary?

2 hours ago, Zihark11 said:

I guess everyone has there own ways of identifying characters. 

It’s almost as if (gasp) wait for it...

People have different opinions from yours and you don’t speak for the whole fanbase.

1 hour ago, Enduin said:

I think its more the base system. So before chapters we can train /prepare for combat etc. or at least that's the vibe i got. I could see us spending the majority of the game there depending on how long Support conversations/Training take as they highlighted those as the key features of the Academy.  

1 hour ago, Enduin said:

a matter of FE being a series about continental wide war 

Honestly the only games that felt like that were the Jugdral and Tellius games. The other were pretty much your typical RPG adventure but instead of Hero + Party of 4-8 it was Prince + Party of 15-25

1 hour ago, Enduin said:

teacher with their students whilst also going off on real military campaigns is absurd.

Maybr the school could act as a camp later on when the war gets started? 

This iteration of Fire Emblem seems to be made for a particular portion of the fanbase, and I'm not it.  What is going on with the clothes in this game? These students are in a war college dressed in that way? The trailer also felt like it was implying a relationship simulator which was also a failure in Fates. I'm not sure I'm liking what I'm seeing. 

On 2/16/2019 at 7:57 AM, grinus said:

This iteration of Fire Emblem seems to be made for a particular portion of the fanbase, and I'm not it.  What is going on with the clothes in this game? These students are in a war college dressed in that way? The trailer also felt like it was implying a relationship simulator which was also a failure in Fates. I'm not sure I'm liking what I'm seeing. 

These students are in an officer's school for the rich and powerful. Their uniforms are going to be snazzy. Though it's a little weird that they still wear them on the battlefield, let's not pretend that FE has ever shied away from characters wearing grossly inappropriate clothing for the battlefield.

Considering how Persona has become the hot property for RPGs, it's clear that school settings are completely fine with audiences on either side of the Pacific. Furthermore it's something new for Fire Emblem and puts a unique spin on things. Heck, even the school setting has a couple of unique twists by 1) being set in a military academy and 2) the main character being a teacher rather than a student. Those create new dynamics and allow for a different sort of progression.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:59 AM, dragonlordsd said:

So, a lot of people have been talking about the issues they feel this game will probably have, whether they don't like the style, don't like the obvious influences from other games, etc. etc.

For me, though, my biggest problem is that I feel like this game is going to waste its ideas.

Of course, I have to add the caveat that like almost everyone else, I know very little about this game. In fact, I'd love to be proven wrong. And possibly, in spite of my complaints, this game may still be really good without giving me what I want. But at the same time, I feel like this game is such a waste of an opportunity.

A lot of people have complained about the game's school setting, and I feel like it's pretty central to the objections people are having about the series' direction. But for me, I think that a game set in a school could be absolutely fascinating. The problem I have is not that this game is set in a school, but rather that from everything we've seen so far, this game seems to be set in a HIGH SCHOOL. Specifically, it seems to be set in a Japanese high school. A very stereotypical Japanese high school. In fact, I would not be surprised if there was some form of "club activities." And possibly even (shudder) a "school festival."

The thing is, this seems to me to be such a missed opportunity, just because of how fascinating a REALISTIC medieval school could be. Education in the middle ages was radically different from modern education. Indeed, it sprung out of a hybrid of monastic life and the mercantile guild system. "Scholastic guilds" had more in common with kung-fu monks than what we think of as schools. Even just browsing wikipedia reveals a ton of interesting facts, like that professors were granted actual papal bulls from Rome certifying their "right" to teach other people (from which we derive diplomas). Students were not obligated to attend classes, but rather would organize themselves based on which teacher they would become a disciple (lit. student) of. A "university" was not a physical place, but a collection of students following a single teacher or ideology or field.

I think a lot could be done with these ideas, but I feel like they really won't be used.

But who knows. Maybe what we get will be better than my ideas. I hope so. But I just think there are cool ways of doing things that are just not being used. What do you guys think?

I think you are correct in your assertion. Intelligent Systems said that Fates' plot would be better than Awakening's plot and we know what that ended up like. It was debatably worse than Awakening's plot. Those who are worried about the plot have every right to be worried despite the entire thing obviously not being shown. Intelligent Systems can not be trusted to deliver a plot with detail (attention to detail.) like the examples you gave up above. At best all we can hope for is a passable plot. I've already seen some characters wearing modern-like clothes (Why is the female avatar wearing fucking short shorts/denim shorts?!?). If they can't be bothered to put care into the type of clothes they give the characters I doubt they care much about being historically accurate with middle ages education.

My hype died after the trailer. This looks so incredibly boring and believe me when I say that I don't want to feel that way.

What I love about FE is that every character is a "class" and now it seems I have to choose everything for myself. Just that idea makes me feel like "...meh". Awakening/Fates/Echoes characters had a base class with some exceptions at least and that's how I like it. Yes I may be old fashioned and I know that new doesn't need to be all bad but... 

And then there is the school setting which also seem like a chore more than something fun. I am afraid it's going to be like "Yeah... Skills.. Weapon experince.. yeah yeah.. BUT HEY DID YOU HEAR ABOUT SUPPORTS?!?" (I am reheeeally sick of unnecessary supports just because of "waifus" and whatnot).

Christ... I love FE and here I am hating. I really hope everything here has a twist or something and turns out to be really fun.

Sorry guys, needed to get this off my chest.

Guest Edelgard for Smash
On 2/15/2019 at 12:28 PM, Cysx said:

Yeah, not sure I agree either. And also, while I definitely see the Hogwarts parallels, there don't seem to be any grades, and age doesn't seem to matter. Apparently, if you can learn how to fight, you can study there. Plus, we have a bunch of supposedly grown men that got revealed already, namely these guys:

W3VNyjr.jpg  mtW3JHf.jpg  u6VbDNp.jpg

The white haired dude looks like he jumped straight out of Mobile Suit Gundam(which is awesome btw)

The black haired dude just looks evil no matter what.

The purple haired dude is definitely going to be a myrmidon for me.