First game to have no name changes (so far)!

VincentASM

I know at least person was wondering if any characters had different names in the Japanese version versus the English version. Since every Fire Emblem game has featured name changes--even Heroes and Warriors and all the Japanese-only titles thanks to Heroes.

But strangely, so far, out of all 20 named characters--none have any name changes. Or any noticeable ones. I find this odd because names are frequently changed to make them more appealing for Western audiences.

What this could mean is that names were chosen for Western audiences first and then translated to Japanese. Perhaps the simultaneous global release date allowed them to do this.

Anyway, here's a list of all the Japanese and English names.

Bear in mind that Japanese is a phonetic language so you're not supposed to read the words literally. Rather, you should let the words kind of "flow".

Via the main site

You and the Enigmatic Girl

Japanese name Romaji English Name
ベレト Bereto Byleth (male)
ベレス Beresu Byleth (female)
ソティス Sotisu Sothis

Black Eagles

エーデルガルト Ēderugaruto Edelgard
ヒューベルト Hyūberuto Hubert
ドロテア Dorotea Dorothea
フェルディナント Ferudinanto Ferdinand
ベルナデッタ Berunadetta Bernadetta
カスパル Kasuparu Caspar
ペトラ Petora Petra
リンハルト Rinharuto Linhardt

Blue Lions

ディミトリ Dimitori Dimitri
ドゥドゥー Dudū Dedue
フェリクス Ferikusu Felix
メルセデス Merusedesu Mercedes
アッシュ Asshu Ashe
アネット Anetto Annette
シルヴァン Shiruvan Sylvain
イングリット Inguritto Ingrid

Golden Deer

クロード Kurōdo Claude
ローレンツ Rōrentsu Lorenz
ヒルダ Hiruda Hilda
ラファエル Rafaeru Raphael
リシテア Rishitea Lysithea
イグナーツ Igunātsu Ignatz
マリアンヌ Mariannu Marianne
レオニー Reonī Leonie

Church of Seiros/Officer’s Academy

レア Rea Rhea
マヌエラ Manuera Manuela
ハンネマン Hanneman Hanneman
セテス Setesu Seteth
フレン Furen Flayn
イエリッツァ Ieritssa Jeritza (TBC)
トマシュ Tomasyu Tomas

Knights of Seiros

ジェラルト Jeraruto Jeralt
カトリーヌ Katorīnu Catherine
アロイス Aroisu Alois

Other

炎帝 Entei Flame Emperor
死神騎士 Shinigami-kishi Death Knight
クロニエ Kuronie Kronya
ソロン Soron Solon
タレス Taresu Thales

Although none of the characters have name changes, funnily enough, the continent's name is different. In the Japanese version, it's Fodra, whereas it's Fodlan over here. Funnier still, the world map in the Japanese trailer straight up uses all the English names, including Fodlan.

Also, there's something neat that's sadly lost via translation.

Each of the three houses is written with katakana and kanji forms, to make them look fancier. The kanji form is exactly the same as the English name, so Black Eagle etc. But the katakana form is the house's name in German.

Black Eagle is Adler Klasse (Eagle Class), Blue Lions is Löwen Klasse (Lion Class) and Golden Deer is Hirsch Klasse (Deer Class).

A similar thing happened with all the class names in Radiant Dawn. Eg. Sanaki's class was Kaiser/Empress. Lance Paladin was Glory Knight/Lance Riding General. So, in some cases, we only got "half" of the class names.

Edited by VincentASM

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is pretty neat, I didn't even think about that! While on the topic of names, so far it seems like we'll have more family names than usual, what with not only the three house leaders having surnames, but also Sylvain.

That's cool, I realize though that in japanese the R is usually translated to an L, even in fan translations they do stuff like this is it just to sound better?

9 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

That's cool, I realize though that in japanese the R is usually translated to an L, even in fan translations they do stuff like this is it just to sound better?

The Japanese don't actually have separate sounds that differentiate between the "r" and "l" sounds of English. Their "r-" is like a combination of the two instead, and comparable to the Spanish "r' in how you pronounce it. As far as I know there's no actual rule on how to translate this, so whichever makes sense, is more conventional, or just sounds better in English is usually chosen (e.g. "Linhardt" is an actual last name that has some German roots, "Rinhardt" doesn't really exist).

This is pretty neat, think this may be a sign that IS is more intrested in the west than they are at home?

24 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

As a Spice & Wolf fan nothing grinds my gears like Horo

Interesting. Makes me wonder if that will hold up. I would actually be surprised if at the end of it there really are no name changes at all.

11 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

and comparable to the Spanish "r' in how you pronounce it.

Just to clarify here, the soft 'r' sound, not hard sound.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Interesting. Makes me wonder if that will hold up. I would actually be surprised if at the end of it there really are no name changes at all.

Just to clarify here, the soft 'r' sound, not hard sound.

Yeah, forgot to say that. Thanks.

I wonder if there will be name changes in French.

The houses names are already different, it's the Jet Eagles (the je tis a black stone), the Sapphire Lions and the Gold Deers.

The localization seems of quality too. The subtitles didn't take word by word what was said in English, but changed the phrases formulation to make it more educated and dignified.

Now it gets me hoping there will be dual audio, if there is full English dub it will be confusing with a different French text X)

19 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

Are Sylvain's two surnames (Jose Gautier) the same in Japanese as well?

Fireemblemwiki.org gives his full name as シルヴァン=ジョゼ=ゴーティエ (Shiruvan Joze Gōtie), which appears to be the same as what is used in the Japanese trailer both from the text and the audio, so essentially the same. The pronunciation of "Jose" though is closer to what it is Portuguese than Spanish which, though it's hard to tell since the audio mix for the English trailer has the character dialogue much quieter than the Japanese trailer for whatever reason, I assume will be the pronunciation the English dub will be using.

7 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Nice to see, although I wonder why they felt the need to reuse already used names, like Claude and Raphael.

Well, it happens from time to time. Also Rafiel ( ラフエル ) and Raphael ( ラフエル ) are different. Unless you were referring to somebody else.

2 hours ago, Cysx said:

Well, it happens from time to time. Also Rafiel ( ラフエル ) and Raphael ( ラフエル ) are different. Unless you were referring to somebody else.

They sound the same, though.

12 hours ago, RexBolt said:

Do they in english? As someone not 100% used to anglo phonetics they spund like completely different names (in portuguese and spanish too).

10 hours ago, VincentASM said:

In Japanese, they're pronounced Ra-Fee-El and Ra-Fey-El. I pronounce them like that in English, but it probably varies depending on the person.

Raf-eye-el for both for how I say them.

11 hours ago, VincentASM said:

In Japanese, they're pronounced Ra-Fee-El and Ra-Fey-El. I pronounce them like that in English, but it probably varies depending on the person.

I mean, if I use the Katakana spelling as a reference, Raphael seem to be pronounced as Ra-Fah-El like it's done in Latin-based languages...

• 2 months later...

I wonder if Mariannu will be translated to Marianna and Ignatsu would be something like Inatio, Ignace or simply Inis. There's already two Ignatius, I don't see they repeating the name 

Edited by Mylady

I personally think they might go with Marianne and Ignaz. But I honestly do not know how an American translation team thinks about these names.

From my standpoint it fits really well with names like Edelgard, Hubert or Hilda. A little old-fashioned.

But I think it is always interesting to learn something about names that are similar to those that I know. So I am looking forward to what the localisation team will do.

This name thing is interesting, yeah!

On the topic of Rafiel vs Raphael, I'm on Vincent's side. I say Rah-fee-ehl for the former and Rah-feye-ehl for the latter. I always thought it was supposed to be this way and that they were two different names. And this is why I used Raphael for a Tellius OC.

Edited by Anacybele