First game to have no name changes (so far)!

VincentASM

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FB_IMG_1557772120445.thumb.jpg.79e69e40b2ea24b5fe97ec1ef42e13b1.jpg

The three students from last week's profiles have been confirmed to have the names Dedue; Hubert and Lorenz respectively. Dedue is an interesting name it's better than what could've been. Hubert and Lorenz not being changed doesn't really surprise me.

To be fair, Dedue isn't really a name change.

One common translation for the kana was "de deux" found in "pas de deux". That wasn't a name but I still found it interesting.

I'm still of the belief that the developers and localisers have been coordinating the names. If so, Dedue was probably chosen as the English name first and they fit the kana around it.

From some people's perspectives, it can seem like a change because his name doesn't "look" like his Japanese one. But that's not the point. You should be looking to see if the name still "sounds" like the original.

Not a post directed at you in particular, but anyone that doesn't know.

1 hour ago, VincentASM said:

To be fair, Dedue isn't really a name change.

One common translation for the kana was "de deux" found in "pas de deux". That wasn't a name but I still found it interesting.

I'm still of the belief that the developers and localisers have been coordinating the names. If so, Dedue was probably chosen as the English name first and they fit the kana around it.

From some people's perspectives, it can seem like a change because his name doesn't "look" like his Japanese one. But that's not the point. You should be looking to see if the name still "sounds" like the original.

Not a post directed at you in particular, but anyone that doesn't know.

Kind of reminds me of when I saw many complaining about "Silas" being a localization change in Fates when it was really just one of a few ways his Japanese name could have been translated. So many people got hooked on to that "Cyrus" translation.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

We have a name change now.

Leah is now Rhea.

You're the first I ever see calling her Leah, but they're the same in japanese. Both are written "レア"

In other words, that's not a change, just a different interpretation. Both are valid.

2 minutes ago, Cysx said:

You're the first I ever see calling her Leah, but they're the same in japanese. Both are written "レア"

In other words, that's not a change, just a different interpretation. Both are valid.

I saw her called Leah in another thread here. But okay...

Edited by Anacybele

On 13/05/2019 at 7:36 PM, HappyHawlucha. said:

Lorenz not being changed doesn't really surprise me.

Considering there is another FE character called Lorenz, you'd have thought that they would have changed it.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

3 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Considering there is another FE character called Lorenz, you'd have thought that they would have changed it.

I don't think that matters to them. They're leaving Hilda the same which is also reused (both here and in Japan), and have used variations of Arthur on 3 characters.

Heck, even Japan has reused names. They got two Kamui's after all.

Edited by Sentinel07

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, makuroh said:

Ignace is now a Ignatz for some reason, so there you go.

According to @Thane the kanji can translate to Ignatz, it's just Ignace/Ignaz is a more literal translation of the romaji I presume. So it's kinda like with Leah/Rhea in that it's the same thing in Japanese, so really, no name changes still.

28 minutes ago, makuroh said:

Ignace is now a Ignatz for some reason, so there you go.

6 minutes ago, Azz said:

According to @Thane the kanji can translate to Ignatz, it's just Ignace/Ignaz is a more literal translation of the romaji I presume. So it's kinda like with Leah/Rhea in that it's the same thing in Japanese, so really, no name changes still.

His name is written イグナーツ in Japanese. Translated directly, it'd be "Igunaatsu". 

Like I said before, Silas in Japanese is サイラス, which is Sairasu. That can be both Silas and Cyrus; pre-Fates, we assumed the latter but it turned out to be localized the former. It wasn't wrong, just not what the localizers went with.

I'm just happy I guessed Lysithea (and I suppose Marianne) right. I dunno what I was smoking when I settled on Ignace, haha.

Seteth being neither Thani's Setes and my Ceteth, but a mix of both was pretty amusing as well.

But I do love how we still haven't seen any name changes. Seems like they're trying something really different here.

Yeah if a name is just an altered spelling (Leah/Rhea, Ignace/Ignatz) then it's still the same name. It's only a name change if it's something infuriatingly pointless like Kilroy -> Rhys. Seriously fuck the old localization teams.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Druplesnubb said:

You know, since even the Japanese version of the world map is in English, is it possible that the English names were made first, and then translated into Japanese? It would explain the unusual lack of changed names, too.

The game is heavily inspired by medieval Europe/Germany/Greek/France and by Shakespeare's book, which I forgot the name of. 

I doubt the English names were made first. But maybe some good translation team had its hands on FE16, who knows? (I laugh if Atlus secretly translated it) 

Considering the game is getting a worldwide release, I'm sure deciding on names and stuff was collaborative so that a worldwide release was able to be done

They definitely collaborated. Don't forget the world map was slightly different during the debut trailer. After that, all the names matched up in English and Japanese.

I will say, besides the characters and places, there will probably be subtle name changes for stuff like abilities and weapons. Mostly because of space limitations and also because some of the names sound dull when translated straight from Japanese to English.

Like I'm pretty sure the Shaver spell was renamed to Cutting Gale. Both have the same meaning, but one of them sounds a lot cooler XD

The Sword of the Creator and its Ruptured Heaven Art are very accurate to the Japanese though.

So, we know that they changed the Japanese 'night crawlers' to 'those who slither in the dark'. Not really much of a name change though, since it seems to be more to be a description and not a name.

9 minutes ago, Hauke said:

So, we know that they changed the Japanese 'night crawlers' to 'those who slither in the dark'. Not really much of a name change though, since it seems to be more to be a description and not a name.

I don't think they're literally called "Nightcrawlers" in Japanese.