First game to have no name changes (so far)!

VincentASM

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good to see. Sometimes it made sense, like not using "Mark" for a potentially female character (Morgan). But almost always it was totally pointless. It made it feel like some early 90s anime dub where the Japanese schoolkid main character was renamed to Colin Smith or something. Like, why change Selena (or Serena, it could've been either) to Severa? It feels like someone rudely overlaying their own fanfiction onto someone else's work. Anyway, good to see they've finally caught up with most other localisers at last and are keeping the names. I mean, imagine if Cloud and Squall were renamed Clive and Steve. Ugh...

9 hours ago, Matroska said:

Anyway, good to see they've finally caught up with most other localisers at last and are keeping the names.

That's a big relief. I definitely agree with everything you said. Too bad they've already ruined localisation in other series with reoccurring characters. Hopefully Fire Emblem stays safe in the future.

Personally, I'm happy because multilingual people don't have to remember two sets of names.

A friend of mine was moaning how it's hard to talk to English FE fans because half the cast had different names.

Meanwhile I saw one Japanese fan recently who seemed surprised there are no name changes xD

7 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Personally, I'm happy because multilingual people don't have to remember two sets of names.

A friend of mine was moaning how it's hard to talk to English FE fans because half the cast had different names.

Meanwhile I saw one Japanese fan recently who seemed surprised there are no name changes xD

I'll have a laugh when American youtubers try to pronounce all those German names correctly lol 

29 minutes ago, Owain Dark said:

I'll have a laugh when American youtubers try to pronounce all those German names correctly lol 

Normally I'd say the same(many french names in there too), but I've endured almost two decades of Guy, so I'm pretty numb to it at this point:)

13 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Normally I'd say the same(many french names in there too), but I've endured almost two decades of Guy, so I'm pretty numb to it at this point:)

Knowing the correct pronunciation from the start, I still find it funny. Though I don't watch a whole lot of videos so I haven't gotten used to it.
People get the Scandinavian names wrong too by the way.

3 minutes ago, Owain Dark said:

Oh yeah, will be fun to hear how they'll pronounce the norsk/Scandinavian names too

Might be, but I don't think the known names in Three Houses so far will be as mispronounced as some of the earlier ones. Though you never know!

4 minutes ago, Siskan said:

Might be, but I don't think the known names in Three Houses so far will be as mispronounced as some of the earlier ones. Though you never know!

People will have a hard time, pronouncing Hraesvelgr tho

2 minutes ago, Owain Dark said:

People will have a hard time, pronouncing Hraesvelgr tho

Hah, I forgot. Yes that'll be interesting. I'll have some sympathy in that case though. A lot of the time I feel like it's just ignorance.

1 hour ago, Siskan said:

Hah, I forgot. Yes that'll be interesting. I'll have some sympathy in that case though. A lot of the time I feel like it's just ignorance.

Meh. Can't know everything.

1 minute ago, Siskan said:

No I don't expect everyone to know everything either if that's what it sounded like.

That's not what it sounded like.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:01 PM, Druplesnubb said:

You know, since even the Japanese version of the world map is in English, is it possible that the English names were made first, and then translated into Japanese? It would explain the unusual lack of changed names, too.

This honestly doesn't make any sense.

Names are names. They don't need to be translated. Transliterated? Sure. But Marth was always Marth, even in the original Japanese. Kaga didn't write down MARUSU in katakana and think in his head "hm what would this be in English?" He knew the character was named Marth.

17 hours ago, Matroska said:

It's good to see. Sometimes it made sense, like not using "Mark" for a potentially female character (Morgan). But almost always it was totally pointless. It made it feel like some early 90s anime dub where the Japanese schoolkid main character was renamed to Colin Smith or something. Like, why change Selena (or Serena, it could've been either) to Severa? It feels like someone rudely overlaying their own fanfiction onto someone else's work. Anyway, good to see they've finally caught up with most other localisers at last and are keeping the names. I mean, imagine if Cloud and Squall were renamed Clive and Steve. Ugh...

Yep. 100% of the name changes in the past have been completely pointless. They were changing already legitimate western names into.. different western names? What the fuck!

Worst part is that I've seen idiots on reddit actually try to defend these localization decisions. Makes me think they are former or present employees of said localization teams.

33 minutes ago, bufkus said:

Yep. 100% of the name changes in the past have been completely pointless. They were changing already legitimate western names into.. different western names? What the fuck!

Worst part is that I've seen idiots on reddit actually try to defend these localization decisions. Makes me think they are former or present employees of said localization teams.

Yeah agreed, although like I said, the one that does actually make sense is Mark becoming Morgan because it'd be weird as hell to have your daughter being called Mark.  At least it hasn't been as bad as the Persona 2 US version where they literally coloured in the skin of one of the characters to turn him into a black guy (as well as westernising all the names). 🙄

2 hours ago, bufkus said:

I wouldn't say all of them are bad. I like Cordelia a lot more than Tiamo.

2 hours ago, Matroska said:

Yeah agreed, although like I said, the one that does actually make sense is Mark becoming Morgan because it'd be weird as hell to have your daughter being called Mark.  At least it hasn't been as bad as the Persona 2 US version where they literally coloured in the skin of one of the characters to turn him into a black guy (as well as westernising all the names). 🙄

Slight correction, it was the first Persona that did that, not the second.

16 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Slight correction, it was the first Persona that did that, not the second.

Ah right. It had two parts didn't it? I think that somehow got muddled up in my memory as part 2 as there were 2 parts. All the same, let's be glad we don't have this in our FE. 

Masaomark.jpg

28 minutes ago, Matroska said:

Ah right. It had two parts didn't it? I think that somehow got muddled up in my memory as part 2 as there were 2 parts. All the same, let's be glad we don't have this in our FE. 

Masaomark.jpg

Just to clarify, Persona 2 had two parts, but it was Persona 1 who did the example you brought up.

And to be fair, it was the late 90's and Atlus might not have believed that the Japanese school setting would have worked internationally at the time. That was during a time where many anime/games were adjusted for international markets.

It's obviously not the case now, but it was a different time back then.

Edited by Sentinel07

On 6/26/2019 at 10:00 PM, Matroska said:

Yeah maybe Terra would've been renamed Tina or something. 😉

12 hours ago, goodperson707 said:

Yeah maybe Terra would've been renamed Tina or something. 😉

Ha, though to be fair that's a change that makes SOME kind of sense, at least. Tina sounds like a 60-year-old woman that works in a laundrette. It really doesn't go with this supposedly exotic, otherworldly, non-human character. It's like having a character called Grand Emperor of Earth, Dave. I put that near the category of Mark becoming Morgan.

3 hours ago, Matroska said:

Tina sounds like a 60-year-old woman that works in a laundrette.

Is that how people would have seen it 25 years ago (when the translation happened) as well though?

I don't live in a country where it's a common name (for any generation), so I wouldn't have a clue.