How do you think the routes will work?

Denomon

How will the routes work?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Will the routes merge?

• The routes will only be split in the early game, and will then merge.
    • The routes will merge in the late game.
    • The routes will not merge.
  2. 2. Will the plots be different?

• The plots will be the same.
    • The plots will be mostly the same.
    • The plots will be different.
  3. 3. Will you fight the other houses in a war?

• Yes.
    • No.
  4. 4. What about the other students?

• You will only get the students from your house.
    • You will recruit the other houses' students.

How do you think the routes will work?

Do you think that the routes will only be split in the early game, and will then merge? Or that they'll merge later on, or perhaps never?

Do you think that the plot will be the same, mostly the same, or different depending on your route?

Will you fight the other houses in a war, depending on what path you choose?

And lastly, what about the other students? Do you think you will only get the students from your house, or that you'll recruit the other houses' students as well?

Edited by Denomon3144

After fates make us pay for other routes...we will get a limited route splitting, in tactics ogre term, if academy was chapter 1, each house is chapter 2-3 and all converge for a mega chapter 4, all little and limited unlike fates, IS is very cheap nowadays

I don't think there will be different routes. The biggest difference I would expect when choosing a house, apart from the units you get, is something like what they did in Sacred Stones. But in this case, I think that the ability to choose between three different groups of units will be mostly for gameplay purposes instead of the plot. Things like strategy and replayability.

Moreover, more than one route implies more than one final villain or enemy, and these three houses just look too friendly for them to suddenly want to kill and destroy each other later.

Maybe the ending will focus on the lives of the house you chose and their leader.

Edited by Chopper...

I'm not especially confident in any of my choices but these are my guesses for now:

1. The routes will merge in the late game. I think it will work somewhat similarly to Sacred Stones; choose your route, but it all ends up converging.
  2. Mostly the same. See above.
  3. No. I could see some skirmishes and the like, but I don't think the major conflict of the story will involve the houses fighting each other.
  4. You will recruit other houses' students. Again, kind of like Sacred Stones. I think they'll want all players to be able to meet all, or at least most, of the characters in a single run.

I can't see them selling a game for a standard release price and have it choices that have game changing consequences like Fates so far that reason I think:

1. The routes will merge in the late game. Just like SS we'll only have some chapters that are changed.
2. Mostly the same.
3. Yes but it probably would only be a few chapters at most.
You will recruit other houses' students. Could be that they won't let us recruit 2 characters or so at most for replay value like how you could only recruit Yukimaru in Birthright but I expect to be able to recruit most of them on any route.

They've yet to mention different versions, at least, so it should hopefully not be major route shifts like in Fates. I love different routes in theory but it's not easy to make; splitting the entire game in three again would worry me. 

Honestly, I think this will mostly affect what units you get in the early to mid game. You teach the students, supervise them in combat, and then when bad stuff inevitably starts happening, the other Houses will join you, at least after another story arc where you fight against/recruit the two you didn't choose. 

I wonder how Byleth's decision could affect the plot in a major way. I'm not saying it's impossible, but merely that I'm curious. Unlike Corrin's choice, the entire plot probably doesn't hinge on Byleth's favorite color. Perhaps whichever house Byleth chooses, they and their class will take part in a mission which sets off the rest of the story. 

So far it seems that most non-school enemies come from Dimitri's country.

Here's some theorizing on my part:

When shit goes down, the students from the other houses won't immediately turn hostile. Say there is a religious schism or a major rebellion. They end up defeated, broken, and scattered. Some of them die, others become hostile as their loyalty to their own nations supercedes any globalism or comraderie they had felt at the academy. Some of them will become recruitable, including recruitable enemies, while others will be slain by you over the course of the story. Which students end up recruitable will vary by route, but the overall endgame story will be similar. 

I personally think that you start off controlling characters of one faction, but by the time the first third of the game finishes we'll start getting access to characters of other houses due to a major conflict requiring an alliance.

What I’m hoping they’ll do is that they take an approach similar to Sonic Adventure (maybe not the best example since Sonic is exactly known for its intriguing and thoughtful storytelling but eh... it was the only example I could come up with atm) where the overarching story is the same regardless of your choice but you experience it through a different point of view with the big conclusion of the story happening after you’ve cleared all routes. I really like that set up because it allows each route to be independent and unique but still connected to each other without having to deal with the hassle of writing three separate stories like Fates did.

Anyway, my answers right now are:

1. The routes will merge late game.

2. Plots will be mostly the same. By “mostly” I mean very minor differences like for example if the Black Eagles and the Golden Deer got into a battle with each other then the victory will go to whose side you’re currently on but the outcome of said battle will still yield the same results otherwise.

3. Yes. I definitely see the houses being at odds with each other because of conflicting goals but it’ll probably only be temporary and not the main focus of plot.

4. You will recruit the other students but either the recruitment order will change or you won’t get them until endgame or even post-game (assuming there’s any) just like in Echoes.

It's interesting that the winning options for question 2 and 3 almost directly contradict one another, unless the conflict is extremely short.

Honestly while most of us have been too burned by Fates to be optimistic, it is a very ambitious idea they went for once again. There's a lot going on here, with characters that are friends with different allegiances and us having to pick one of three potentially very different sides. Thing is, considering they don't have to sell us on several versions, they didn't really need to make things that complicated on themselves, so maybe this design choice actually is a result of ambition rather than smoke and mirrors. But yeah, they outright lied to our faces with Fates and it's going to take quite a bit for me to trust them again when it comes to story elements in trailers.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for this one. Maybe the reason thr game's been so delayed is that they wanted to be really ambitious and include 3 distinct campaigns or substantial branching but I feel like they would have made that clear. The marketing so far makes it damn near impossible to actually discern the true nature of the game's main conflict and that's very intentional. The story, in content or structure, is likely not a selling point here so they focused on what they thought was the biggest selling point i.e. the school stuff.

24 minutes ago, colossus86 said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up for this one. Maybe the reason thr game's been so delayed is that they wanted to be really ambitious and include 3 distinct campaigns or substantial branching but I feel like they would have made that clear. The marketing so far makes it damn near impossible to actually discern the true nature of the game's main conflict and that's very intentional. The story, in content or structure, is likely not a selling point here so they focused on what they thought was the biggest selling point i.e. the school stuff.

Might also be a result of them revealing things progressively. They have an FE-focused expo coming, potential months of coverage in Famitsu, and a golden opportunity to generate hype at E3 since the game releases a month later.

Plus the first trailer was pretty story focused.

9 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Might also be a result of them revealing things progressively. They have an FE-focused expo coming, potential months of coverage in Famitsu, and a golden opportunity to generate hype at E3 since the game releases a month later.

Plus the first trailer was pretty story focused.

I'd say the first trailer was lore focused with some story implications. Learning about the history of the Continent and church is important but it doesn't tell us anything about what happens during this game.

The two routes are Claude’s and Dimitri’s. In a new game, you will start with Edelgard’s team, which is neutral, and your actions will lean towards one route or the other, affecting who you can recruit. The end will basically be the same but your final party will depend on the faction you chose. Or so I read.

As long as I can easily kill the stupid girl with the stripper hat, I will be fine.

1 minute ago, colossus86 said:

I'd say the first trailer was lore focused with some story implications. Learning about the history of the Continent and church is important but it doesn't tell us anything about what happens during this game.

That's true, but it could be a consequence of it being a reveal trailer rather than the story being basic. I mean look at Botw, the story elements weren't revealed until very late.

... actually, do not look a Botw. Let's forget I said that.

Early game, mostly the same, no house war, can recruit other house students.

I see it as a mix between the FE5-8 route splits with a helping of Pokemon. (Both the choice of a game out of a pair and the choice of a starter. Three Houses is all one game, but Fates, which wasn't, had a much more extreme split than paired Pokemon games.) Go through the same basic story and recruit most or all of the same units, but with variations in the order you recruit them, and in which ones get emphasized in the story and customization system. Some differences in maps, especially early on when you're only using students from one school, but also some variation later on (like the Durandal/Armads chapters and Four-Fanged Offense in FE7).

The three house leaders all seem to be cooperating. It looks like we'll fight the other students in training, but when things get serious, they should be all on the same side. It's possible that we won't recruit all of them on each route, if some of the ones from other houses die or have other reasons to be absent, but I think we'll get most of them.

Revelations may be a good comparison for all three routes, the way you build an army out of multiple nations to fight a common foe but don't get everyone.

Edited by Othin

I’m hoping that the choice of house determines which characters get the most dialogue. One thing I really loved about SoV is that most of the army was involved in the story’s dialogue. This is a major rarity in the series as a whole which maintains focuses on royals, their allies in positions of power, and the villains. It’s a bit harder to do this with a large cast, but focusing on one house could make it work.

I imagine you’ll get the other houses as the game progresses, with recruitment order being different.

I feel that the houses won’t be in conflict, apart from friendly training and Hogwartz-esque competitiveness.

I do hope there are some unique  maps and events depending on choice of house, but I certainly am not expecting too much.

I wonder if there’s a Byleth’s choice of house means removal of a character from the story. Presumably, there is a teacher for each house if Byleth doesn’t choose it

Edited by Arcphoenix

I think I've settled on a theory for now. I think we'll visit each country during the course of the story to help out with whatever is going on there, and your choice of house just affects where you start. When you're finished, you meet up with the class/leader from another country and pick up the plot from there, segmenting the story. Then when you've got everyone the story continues and begins reaching its climax. 

I think we'll get a situation similar to Birthright and, since I haven't played it, presumably Conquest: the routes start out the same but diverge early on. Towards the end the different houses come together, similar to how the Nohr siblings join you in Birthright towards the end. However, unlike Birthright where you couldn't play as the Norh siblings even when they came around to your side, I think you will be able to use students from the other houses towards the end.

As for the plot: I definitely think maybe the first third will be the same, the second third will be completely different depending on which house you choose, and the final third will be mostly the same but with notable differences depending on house. I definitely think there will be a war between houses that starts at the end of the first third of the game and ends at the end of the second third/early on in the final third of the game.

Edited by Maimishou

I'm unsure, partially because almost all of the maps we've seen have been very early in the game. The one example otherwise (the quick Gambit Boost scene, where characters were seemingly promoted) didn't show any units outside of Edelgard's Black Eagles. 

It could be that the the entire middle of the game, post-school prologue, is different. They could all follow similar paths, just with different casts. It could be that only the school prologue is different.

I'd say "maybe each path deals with its own country's Crests," except we know Edelgard's Black Eagles eventually visit Faerghus' Gautier, even though Sylvain may not be with them. (Could Sylvain and Ferdinand — who is present in the Gambit Boost scene in Gautier – be twins, even though they're in different Houses? They're almost identical, with similar hair colors to boot.) 

Guest ShadowEmblem

Optimistically it's been a few years since RD and POR and although I haven't played the majority of both of those games I've heard they are very challenging both map wise and long which id be totally for I want a longer fire emblem game, but hopefully all 3 routes will effect the story in 3 varying but somewhat similar stories, I think it will take place in 3 different ways, going off of my experience with Shining megami tensei I hope they take a page with the Chaos,Neutral, and Lawful routes 

Dimitri:(Lawful) maybe sides with the church even if they seem to be evil. Maybe because he is the heir of a holy kingdom so he has more faith in the church (Get it Faith ?) and as such his story might be him and the blue Lions siding with the church.

Edelgard:(Neutral) I see Edelgard is siding with neither the church or Claude but trying desperately to make peace between Claude and Dimitri and preserve the camaraderie between nation's but maybe she just ends up fighting and subjugating both nation's until the main conflict is resolved.(I realized after how Revelations this sounds)

Claude:(Chaotic) Claude who seems to be the most rebellious of the 3 lords and maybe being from a nation that I'm thinking acts more like a council them a type of monarchy and maybe his parents are just one of the most influential of the council members and maybe he'll lead a rebellion against the church after a neutral unit or Ally of the 3 houses is killed by the church(burned at the stake) fueling his desire for separation of the church and country.

I'm just hoping for something more mature story wise maybe a darker story overall!

I'm assuming that each house is its own platoon and you can only field one or two of then at a time. Or just assign each one to an mission like XCOM does.

Besides 8-10 is kind of small for an FE army, especially when it comes to having an healer and archer in the back.

Edited by Armchair General

I would like supports to affect the story somewhat, maybe unlocking different endings if main units are involved. I do think the stories are gonna merge which is kinda ehh to me because what's the point of three choices if they amount to mostly the same? If the routes merge then in my mind that guarantees a mostly similar story.

Not sure if we'll fight the other houses; haven't seen anything that tells me they might have any reason to, yet.

On the students, depends on if the story merges. I can see a few of them being in more than one route, though.