Chinatsu Kurahana is Three Houses New Artist

Since I haven’t seen much talk going on here about this, I figured I’d be the first one to bring up that Chinatsu Kurahana is the artist for 3H.

As you can read in Twitter post, she’s most famous for her UtaPri work but I’m personally more familiar with her work with Samurai Flamenco. She’s also worked on other animes and mangas and apparently even on some Nitro+chiral stuff.

Here’s some of her non-FE related artwork:

Spoiler

BiqzjRi.jpg

FLLKIK1.jpg

DMTlAHH.jpg

LGRSzAH.jpg

gsVxvwG.jpg

8x8RNOs.jpg

55lbrXK.jpg

zTRbMQe.jpg

wnV3Xph.jpg

YFwrchT.jpg

NZrH2Fd.jpg

6gyfcj9.jpg

zWMw9zM.jpg

KYmYsIi.jpg

ATCJWgv.jpg

f0SVkCJ.jpg

rqC9835.jpg

Hlx5Rsd.jpg

1wp49Ci.jpg

This to me really explains a lot of the male designs in the game honestly. I felt like they were much more fanservicey than the girls this time around and now I know why.

I’m not a fan of how she tends design women. They’re not bad but something about them look odd compared to her men. Although I did like Dorothea’s and Petra’s designs so I guess it’s not all bad. But then again, female Byleth... *shudders*

I hope we get a character doing Masayoshi’s poses in the first and third pictures because those are just great.

Overall, I like her art (not surprising since I think I’m her target demographic) and I like what we’ve seen of it in Three Houses but she does seem like an odd choice for a Fire Emblem game since her designs tend to be very “modern day” and not medieval at all, which is really noticeable with Three Houses giving it more of a Persona vibe rather than an FE one but it doesn’t bother me too much since everything about Three Houses seems a bit more modern than previous Fire Emblems.

What are everyone else’s thoughts on our new artist and what little work we’ve seen of her’s so far in the game?

Edited by NegativeExponents-

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, picture number 4 is like Claude and Dimitri. OTP?

Yeah, the clothing for the characters is very chic. To the point of being distracting in my opinion. You've got Petra dressed for a secretary desk job and cutting up dudes with a sword. It's a weird juxtaposition. It feels like these should be some goofy, unlockable costumes and not the actual armor designs, hence why I'm with people in hoping there's some visual customization to make this game look more like Fire Emblem. It's not a deal breaker, of course. I'm pretty sure I've riffed on character portraits in every fire emblem game I've ever played. It's just that modern Fire Emblem games have much less difference between the artwork and the in-game models, to a point where there doesn't appear to be any difference in the case of this game.

I'm not familiar with the artist, but there are many designs that I like, like Mercedes and Petra. The artstyle is also very easy on the eyes, compared to Fates' artist, who used a lot more bright colours and harsher edges, which I'm happy with. 

Feleth's outfit tho... Idk what is going on down there. Or with her chest for that matter. My girl is busty yeah, but it looks... odd. 

I am very thankful to Kurahana for the existence of Raphael's shirt buttons though. 

Seeing those other pieces makes me wonder what they saw in her work that made them think she was a good fit for FE. I get that trying out new styles is good, but... I can't find anything to like about her style even disregarding the fact that it lacks any tone of seriousness, which I would consider pretty important for a game about war.

I really wish they'd gotten Hidari again, or, imho, PenekoR who's done some characters for Heroes like Eldigan and Valter.

3 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Seeing those other pieces makes me wonder what they saw in her work that made them think she was a good fit for FE. I get that trying out new styles is good, but... I can't find anything to like about her style even disregarding the fact that it lacks any tone of seriousness, which I would consider pretty important for a game about war.

IS obviously trying to make a Persona knockoff ?

I'm pretty familiar with her work on UtaPri especially, though I'm more of an IDOLiSH7 type of gal; but I find it really interesting that they got an artist who's well known for idol illustrations, to do a game like Fire Emblem. It's a stark contrast but there's something visually fitting about how her work for Three Houses blends in with the environment and UI of the game, in my opinion. Like, if I were to imagine Kozaki or Hidari's style of art in Three Houses instead of Kurahana's, it feels a lot different. I think it might be because her style is very clean but also kind of flat in terms of colouring, whereas Kozaki and Hidari's style are more detailed in shading and even textures that Kurahana's style pops out more because of its simplistic look against the graphics of Three Houses - but that's just me.

I won't lie, this is pretty much exactly what I expected. I don't dislike it though. The style itself is only decent in my eyes, but she seems to have a lot of experience so the result isn't too bad, Dimitri uniform aside.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

hence why I'm with people in hoping there's some visual customization to make this game look more like Fire Emblem.

Byleth is wearing a dark swordmaster(probably, looks a lot like Awakening's version) outfit in the US trailer and a white one in the japanese one. Same for edgey mc edge wearing a black and a red robe respectively. While it could be different versions, I doubt they ever considered actually making the swordmaster(probably) outfit white, so light customization elements might indeed be a thing.

I find it hilarious the people who were complaining about Kozaki's art-style and how they wanted someone else to take the helm. Now Chinatsu has, and they don't like their art either lol. 

Anyways, Chin's art is okay. It's interesting seeing it applied to an FE game.

Edited by Decerd
Forgot a word.

8 minutes ago, Decerd said:

I find it hilarious the people who were complaining about Kozaki's art-style and how they wanted someone else to take the helm. Now Chinatsu has, and they don't like their art either lol. 

They will only like 90s style long hair art

3 hours ago, redlight said:

IS obviously trying to make a Persona knockoff ?

I still don't see why people are saying it looks like a Persona game when it doesn't even look Persona-like. Is it because school uniforms? Because even then the only similar thing is the color black in then, the style both of drawing and fashion is totally different.

So far, the designs seem pretty hit or miss. Like that one girl with the Jojo hat? Definitely a hit. That one short orange haired gal? Definitely a miss. I really need to learn character names. I still prefer Hidari's. Kozaki's was also hit or miss, but at this point I think there were more hits with him. 

11 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

Like that one girl with the Jojo hat? Definitely a hit. That one short orange haired gal? Definitely a miss.

You say definitely but it's the exact opposite as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Cysx

I know her from Togainu no Chi. A friend of mine was very surprised to know they really had chosen her to be the character designer for a Fire Emblem game, given what Togainu no Chi is all about :P:. I thought it awesome at first, that she would bring fresh, creative ideas for the design of the characters, but so far I've been midly disappointed. What I've seen is not bad, just... plain.

Don't like it.  There is a lifeless doll quality to it, like the eyes there is nothing going on there.  No expression no light of life, just a dead hollow look.  Then something about the shading/skin tone, it doesn't look like flesh and blood but like paper cut outs.  She does look to have a lot of experience with academy clothing so maybe that factored into why she was chosen, also very different from any FE artist we've had thusfar.  It does also look much much closer to Persona than Fire Emblem, and Persona is super huge that could be another factor.

I don't know why they didn't let Hidari do this, his art for Echoes was easily the best of the entire series.  

Edited by Lewyn

I must ask... WHO? Because that name ain't familiar to me.

8 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

I don't know why they didn't let Hidari do this, his art for Echoes was easily the best of the entire series.  

Hidari's female...

Edited by Shadow Mir
Goddamn autocorrect

1 hour ago, Aiddon said:

After putting her name into Google Image Search, we'll be fine. Heck, here are some samples of her other work

Wow if she's capable of that I have been underestimating her. I think she works best with vibrant backgrounds and not portraits given the images.

I personally really love the art style! I'm generally incredibly picky about designs, so I was really happy with how it turned out. My favorite designs in the series have been SoV, Sacred Stones and Awakening, in that order. To be honest, I think this fits very well as an evolution of Awakening's designs which really took the series in a more modern, stylistc direction.

In that capacity I really appreciate it, and it has a more serious, mature tone than Awakening, making it my 3rd favorite art style from what I've seen.

Also the eyes are my favorite part because they're so unique and different and something about it is captivating.

1 hour ago, Chopper... said:

I know her from Togainu no Chi.

.....me too.

Although to my understanding, she only worked on merchandise like the art book or CD cover when it came to that and not the actual game or anime.

2 hours ago, Decerd said:

I liked Kozaki in Awakening but he had to go when Fates came around. Lobster armor 2.0 (Walhart was original lobster), Camilla’s atrocious outfit, the Corrins (especially male Corrin), among many others, it was clear he overstayed his welcome. I never really liked how over-designed his outfits were and he amped that part up to an 11 with Fates.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

They will only like 90s style long hair art

I would love a 90s anime aesthetic similar to that of Genealogy :wub:

5 hours ago, Book Bro said:

I really wish they'd gotten Hidari again, or, imho, PenekoR who's done some characters for Heroes like Eldigan and Valter.

Hidari was a real gift after the long reign of Kozaki. I loved Echoes character’s designs to pieces. Real shame they let him go.

I personally would have preferred the return of Sachiko Wada or Senri Kita since they’re both my favorites.

If had to be someone new then I really would’ve liked Yamada Akihiro. I know some people didn’t like his work in Heroes but I personally was a big fan of them and here, look at some of his other stuff:

Spoiler

VTumJ5I.jpg

xDGmeN1.jpg

suAnn8Z.jpg

KV2F898.jpg

eeTq5mr.jpg

dnT7tvs.jpg

1 hour ago, Aiddon said:

After putting her name into Google Image Search, we'll be fine. Heck, here are some samples of her other work:

Those were all really great additions. Thank you.

16 minutes ago, Kiran_ said:

I personally really love the art style! I'm generally incredibly picky about designs, so I was really happy with how it turned out. My favorite designs in the series have been SoV, Sacred Stones and Awakening, in that order. To be honest, I think this fits very well as an evolution of Awakening's designs which really took the series in a more modern, stylistc direction.

In that capacity I really appreciate it, and it has a more serious, mature tone than Awakening, making it my 3rd favorite art style from what I've seen.

Also the eyes are my favorite part because they're so unique and different and something about it is captivating.

The eyes make me think of Kazuma Kaneko. They're done very vibrantly, making you zero in on them immediately