Chinatsu Kurahana is Three Houses New Artist

4 minutes ago, carefreejules said:

I actually did my own edits last night and posted them on my tumblr and my art thread so here's the link if anyone is curious! 

It's not perfect by any means but it was a fun experimentation! 

Those are so much better than the official portraits.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Kori said:

Seeing all these examples of what she can do, I'm even more disappointed that the art direction for this game went with her more plastic/cold/lifeless-looking UtaPri style rather than her art for Captive Prince or Samurai Flamenco. There was real potential there.

For reals! I love how expressive and lively the characters look in Samurai Flamenco and I haven’t read her Captive Prince series but just the cover art already looks so good.

I think this was a case of Nintendo/IS requesting that her art look more like UtaPri though since doesn’t that have a huge female following? They probably wanted to attract the Otome with that art style.

2 hours ago, Fenreir said:

*cough* someone tried already. original:

2019-02-15.jpg

customized:

f-byl.jpgf-byl-2.jpg

...and that took me just 5 minutes.

I like the first edit. That truly looks so much better than the original. Also, I never noticed how much I like F!Byleth’s design when you ignore the lower half.

1 hour ago, carefreejules said:

I actually did my own edits last night and posted them on my tumblr and my art thread so here's the link if anyone is curious! 

Same thing with your edits. I love that style of eyes on them :wub:  Edelgard in particular sees such a huge improvement imo.

To those who saw and liked my edits, thanks! I think the eye style itself looks way better on the male characters than female since female eyes are typically drawn bigger than males. Adding depth does wonders to make the characters look a lot more alive especially if their expressions are neutral.

5 hours ago, carefreejules said:

It's amazing how much more alive they look when you simply add some depth to their eyes... :o: Much nicer to look at, too. Great job!

Edit: welp, that's pretty much what you just said, I didn't see it. orz

Edited by Kori

38 minutes ago, carefreejules said:

To those who saw and liked my edits, thanks! I think the eye style itself looks way better on the male characters than female since female eyes are typically drawn bigger than males. Adding depth does wonders to make the characters look a lot more alive especially if their expressions are neutral.

pretty much this.

all it took to improve the eyes and overall "vitality" of the characters was just to add more depth with different color shades and eventually bigger pupils.

the official portraits look just like dolls to be honest. your edits at least gave them some life and humanity.

i can already see future hacks requests for improved custom portraits...

I like the first edit. That truly looks so much better than the original. Also, I never noticed how much I like F!Byleth’s design when you ignore the lower half.

don't mind the second one, it was just to show the background colors i used to change the eyes.

together with bigger pupils, it made quite the difference.

Edited by Fenreir

4 hours ago, starburst said:

I am not into anime, and thus cannot give a contrasted criticism, but I dislike the eyes of the characters, specially on the women.

I also think that characters lack solemnity, heroism. This is, I cannot picture a scene where one of these characters sacrifices their life for their countrymen or performs a last-minute save in the chaos of the battlefield.

I am fine with the nod to gay men, like the Lord with the darker skin tone. I would prefer them not too homoerotic, but I like handsome male characters. The thing is that all characters seem bland for the main theme of the game: war.

I am not implying that gay men are bland soldiers. I am saying that the particular design of these characters seems very odd on a battlefield. Which is rather ironic, since now that Lords are able to command divisions, they inspire nothing.

Oh!, and I hate the girl with the stripper hat. 

emmmm what? am i missing something? is he confirmed to be gay?

59 minutes ago, carefreejules said:

i saw your edits and the characters became way better!

22 minutes ago, Pegasus Knight said:

I think they’re talking about Claude looking like the guy from Captive Prince in the first page.

Spoiler

LGRSzAH.jpg

gsVxvwG.jpg

Personally, I don’t see the similarities between him and Claude outside having a dark skin color but eh. I mean he’s just so much more muscular, different hair, rougher face, sharper eyes. Very different from Claude.

Although I do think the blonde one looks like Dimitri with an actual good looking hairdo.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

3 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I think they’re talking about Claude looking like the guy from Captive Prince in the first page.

Hide contents

LGRSzAH.jpg

gsVxvwG.jpg

Personally, I don’t see the similarities between him and Claude outside having a dark skin color but eh. I mean he’s just so much more muscular, different hair, rougher face, sharper eyes. Very different from Claude.

Although I do think the blonde one looks like Dimitri with an actual good looking hairdo.

we would WISH for claude to look that HOT!!... Unfortunately he doesnt with that weird hair she has given him.... i dont see anything gay in her FE characters... not that u can see "gayiness" anyway...  YAOI artists are known for pretty boys aesthetics... and so far the characters we have seen are actually pretty diverse (in the pretty department)..... if anything Fates had way more hotter boys...

Anyway my issue with her characters is that only the main 4 are actually distinct and memorable the rest are pretty much the same with very generic hairstyles... and for the love of god that modernized clothes are the pits!

I don't really have too much of a problem with the art though the eyes and the shading are offputting to me. If anything it's more the models I have a problem with. Like for the most part I think Edelgard's character portrait/artwork is beautiful but then I look at her model and I'm disappointed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Kurahana Chinatsu did the art and design for Otome Yusha? I searched up the art for the game and quite like the art...they seem a bit 'livelier' and more memorable than the characters from Three Houses shown so far.  It might be because the character portraits for Three Houses are literally just them staring right back at you with a neutral expression.  It's also definitely way more 'anime' though and doesn't really fit into an FE game I think.

Regardless, I think her art is generally pretty good but it isn't really translating well to the FE characters for some reason.

Also, it seems like she's fairly capable of drawing fanservice-y characters (is that a good or bad thing...hmmm...). She definitely draws way more males than females though...

resize_image.jpg

61a27168885f61c62395beb99ac5ca7a.jpg

Edited by zuibangde

1 hour ago, Pegasus Knight said:

we would WISH for claude to look that HOT!!...

Hey! I think Claude looks HOT too. Just in a different way than him.

12 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Kurahana Chinatsu did the design for Otome Yusha? I searched up the art for the game and quite like the art...they seem a bit 'livelier' and more memorable than the characters from Three Houses shown so far.  It might be because the character portraits for Three Houses are literally just them staring right back at you with a neutral expression.  It's also definitely way more 'anime' though and doesn't really fit into an FE game I think.

Regardless, I think her art is generally pretty good but it isn't really translating well to the FE characters for some reason.

Also, it seems like she's fairly capable of drawing fanservice-y characters. 

resize_image.jpg

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/08/01/first-look-at-level-5s-otome-yusha-previews-characters-a-1-pictures-animation

I don’t know how reliable Crunchyroll is but according to them yeah. Chinatsu Kurahana is the character designer.

And yeah, I think the biggest problem is that the neutral portraits themselves are boring. Hopefully we’ll see some more variety with them later.

I’m not surprised about the fan service part. It is pretty much her forte.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

44 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Kurahana Chinatsu did the art and design for Otome Yusha? I searched up the art for the game and quite like the art...they seem a bit 'livelier' and more memorable than the characters from Three Houses shown so far.  It might be because the character portraits for Three Houses are literally just them staring right back at you with a neutral expression.  It's also definitely way more 'anime' though and doesn't really fit into an FE game I think.

Also, it seems like she's fairly capable of drawing fanservice-y characters (is that a good or bad thing...hmmm...). She definitely draws way more males than females though...

resize_image.jpg

now i am mad! why coulfnt this be the cast of 3Houses!! The third one in the third lane... :wub:

12 hours ago, Chopper... said:

To be honest, as part of the female fanbase, or at least the one that's into guys, I have found most male characters very uninteresting. I also have friends from the male fanbase who are into guys too, and they have said the same. Of course, we have yet to see many other characters (I think?), but so far, not so good.

One character can't save them all, though, specially not in a series of videogames where we tend to have like 40 playable units.

I dunno, i think the japanese fanbase POv would be a better metric of this reception, would be interesting to know.

Looking at Awakening threads both here and gamefaqs when the characters were posted i saw a similar reaction towards kozaki's designs and art and how nany people thought it was inferior was to previous games and look at and behold now he is the most popular artist the series ever had.

I at least like the designs i have seen, i look forward to see how much this reception remains or changes when it has been a good while on the market.

One character can do wonders actually, just look at Lucina. I think Edelgard has the potential to become as popular.

Edited by kratoscar2008

16 minutes ago, kratoscar2008 said:

I dunno, i think the japanese fanbase POv would be a better metric of this reception, would be interesting to know.

Looking at Awakening threads both here and gamefaqs when the characters were posted i saw a similar reaction towards kozaki's designs and art and how nany people thought it was inferior was to previous games and look at and behold now he is the most popular artist the series ever had.

I at least like the designs i have seen, i look forward to see how much this reception remains or changes when it has been a good while on the market.

One character can do wonders actually, just look at Lucina. I think Edelgard has the potential to become as popular.

Lucina sucks.... i will never understand why people like her... blue haired lord privilege i guess

Edited by Pegasus Knight

1 hour ago, kratoscar2008 said:

I don't see how nationality makes us that different, but that aside, I believe Kozaki is more infamous than famous, since even now I can see people are still complaining about his designs in this very forum. I'm one of the apparent few who likes his designs, they're not perfect or anything, it's just because they are creative and colourful. But from the moment they came out to the present time, people have been and are still complaining about Kozaki's designs and many are happy he's gone, so that hasn't changed at all. The fact I'm not happy with the designs in 3H really has nothing to do with him either, it's simply that I consider Kurahana's designs for this game to be bland so far, and sort of unfit, out of their own accord.

As for Lucina and Edelgard... I didn't say Edelgard wouldn't be popular, she's actually the character I like the most so far :lol: But what I meant to say is that she alone can't save the game and make people like the character designs in general. Lucina didn't do such a thing, Awakening has many incredibly popular characters just as much as her or more in the case of Chrom.

The thing u guys misunderstand with kozaki is the "overstaying" part .... Artists especially manga/anime artists tend to have a style and thus repeating it over and over again, thats the nature of their art....  Mashima's Fairy tail character designs are the same as his previous work for example and thats true for almost any manga artist.... Kozaki also had to draw some of the biggest casts in FE history, so his style became repetitive pretty quickly.... so while he was good in Awakening and even in Fates one more entry would be an overkill...  Echoes designs were a breeze of fresh air...

So in conclusion Kozaki's art was fine but a series like FE should change his artists after 1 or 2 at most entries...

2 hours ago, zuibangde said:

It's also definitely way more 'anime' though and doesn't really fit into an FE game I think.

FE has always taken inspiration from anime, so this point makes no sense whatsoever. 

latest?cb=20170507144644

This is from FE3, and it's clearly taken from late 80s/early 90s in style. 

So I don't think "FE being TOO anime" is a reasonable complaint. In the looks department.

4 hours ago, Pegasus Knight said:

Claude does not need to be. But the target of his design is clearly not women. That is the nod.

As a gay friend told me years ago about a guy at a party: ‘Oh, dear, but with that look, he surely is. He might simply not know it yet.’

Edited by starburst

6 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I think this was a case of Nintendo/IS requesting that her art look more like UtaPri though since doesn’t that have a huge female following? They probably wanted to attract the Otome with that art style.

Actually Nintendo has opened up a Japanese minisite just for advertising Otome games (dating sims for straight females for those who don't know) on Switch.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/software/feature/otome.html

3 hours ago, zuibangde said:

Well it isn't like FE has to cater to straight men anymore with its mainline games. FEH has that covered, 3/4s of male sexual fanservice in FEH, 3/4s female sexual fanservice in mainline, sounds like a good balancing act to me.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

16 minutes ago, Jedi said:

FE has always taken inspiration from anime, so this point makes no sense whatsoever. 

latest?cb=20170507144644

This is from FE3, and it's clearly taken from late 80s/early 90s in style. 

So I don't think "FE being TOO anime" is a reasonable complaint. In the looks department.

Where exactly does Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn's style lie?640cd86d39aa2cbd089cb0daadeeb20c.jpg

14 minutes ago, starburst said:

Claude does not need to be. It is his design what was clearly not conceived to draw woman’s attention. That is the nod.

I think you have no idea about what you talking. If Claude doesn't do it to you fine  but straight women is the artist #1 target demo and Claude and Dimitri are influenced by that.

If we are talking designs to draw a gay guy attention we can get more with Raphael's design frankly.

20 minutes ago, starburst said:

Claude does not need to be. But the target of his design is clearly not women. That is the nod.

As a gay friend told me years ago about a guy at a party: ‘Oh, dear, but with that look, he surely is. He might simply not know it yet.’

u are talking about 2 different things here.... Also claude's design definitely doesnt target to gay man....

3 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

I think you have no idea about what you talking. If Claude doesn't do it to you fine  but straight women is the artist #1 target demo and Claude and Dimitri are influenced by that.

If we are talking designs to draw a gay guy attention we can get more with Raphael's design frankly.

ew no offence but i dont think u know what u are talking about either...   who would chose raphael when he has that kind of face

The reason the 'looks too anime' complaint is given much more to recent games is old anime of the 80s, 90s looks a lot closer to western animation than new anime.  When people say the old Fire Emblems were anime or SF2 was anime, everyone is like 'What?  Seriously?' Cause doesn't seem very different from western animation, most people had no clue back then and still don't now.  With a lot of recent anime it looks very foreign to the western eye if they aren't already familiar/fans.

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well it isn't like FE has to cater to straight men anymore with its mainline games. FEH has that covered, 3/4s of male sexual fanservice in FEH, 3/4s female sexual fanservice in mainline, sounds like a good balancing act to me.

Woah, I'd much rather have it the other way around.  The main series is the meat and potatoes, the main course.  Heroes is just a side dish to keep fans satisfied in between main entries.

Either way the best would be to not have much fanservice at all, and whatever is there have some for both genders and make it optional.  I wonder if this is a strategy though, having a yaoi artist directed towards females, to bring in a much larger female fanbase.  The large male fanbase is already there.  

2 minutes ago, Pegasus Knight said:

Also claude's design definitely doesnt target to gay man...

Want to bet who will be the # 1 gay pick of this game, by far?

Today is February 17th, shall we give it until release date to collect? A month later perhaps?

That gay friend who told me that line is back in Ireland, I think, and I am currently overseas. But if I won, it would be great to invite him, share a drink and tell him how profound his words are ten years later. He he he.