Chinatsu Kurahana is Three Houses New Artist

10 minutes ago, starburst said:

Want to bet who will be the # 1 gay pick of this game, by far?

Today is February 17th, shall we give it until release date to collect? A month later perhaps?

That gay friend who told me that line is back in Ireland, I think, and I am currently overseas. But if I won, it would be great to invite him, share a drink and tell him how profound his words are ten years later. He he he.

and how are we going to count the gay vote?

Well i am gay and i dont vote claude.... are u? cause if u are not it seems like i am winning so far....

Edited by Pegasus Knight

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a gay person, I can confirm that our likes and dislikes are just as diverse as heterosexual people and while Claude may appeal to some gay men, others may have different opinions. I'm sure that he'll be popular in general with that audience since he's a good looking young guy, but I'm not convinced he was designed exclusively with the LGBTI community in mind; I'm pretty sure the "pretty boy" look also appeals to heterosexual women.

35 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

As a gay person, I can confirm that our likes and dislikes are just as diverse as heterosexual people and while Claude may appeal to some gay men, others may have different opinions. I'm sure that he'll be popular in general with that audience since he's a good looking young guy, but I'm not convinced he was designed exclusively with the LGBTI community in mind; I'm pretty sure the "pretty boy" look also appeals to heterosexual women.

this!! Its silly how str8 people patronize us.... As they like good looking people so are we... but its not like we have some super specific "profile" that all gay men share...

Edited by Pegasus Knight

12 hours ago, Pegasus Knight said:

and how are we going to count the gay vote?

It is not that difficult; noise will cast its vote.

12 hours ago, Book Bro said:

As a gay person, I can confirm that our likes and dislikes are just as diverse as heterosexual people and while Claude may appeal to some gay men, others may have different opinions. I'm sure that he'll be popular in general with that audience since he's a good looking young guy, but I'm not convinced he was designed exclusively with the LGBTI community in mind; I'm pretty sure the "pretty boy" look also appeals to heterosexual women.

And I cannot see how any woman would find that design (sexually) appealing. He he.

Anyway, I get your point and I am only telling you this in the context of a casual conversation. Nothing serious, mate. All cool.

11 hours ago, Pegasus Knight said:

Its silly how str8 people patronize us...

That was not my intention.

As silly as all this argument may be, I am still convinced that Claude will be the # 1 Gay Pick. At the same time that I am not trying to get any conclusion out of this. The bet was just that, a harmless bet. 

Edited by starburst

5 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Woah, I'd much rather have it the other way around.  The main series is the meat and potatoes, the main course.  Heroes is just a side dish to keep fans satisfied in between main entries.

Either way the best would be to not have much fanservice at all, and whatever is there have some for both genders and make it optional.  I wonder if this is a strategy though, having a yaoi artist directed towards females, to bring in a much larger female fanbase.  The large male fanbase is already there.  

I didn't mean that post all too seriously, more with a lighthearted joviality. 

Also, I'd rather have a bare minimum of fanservice any way at all as well. I'm not big on it.

And just in case you have not seen and read this, a 1996 Kaga interview recently translated, well here you go. It's alllllll about Genealogy, with lots of good stuff.

Relevant, towards the very end, Kaga said he made Genealogy according to his own desires, he NOT want to appeal to the fanbase. Although he did exercise a little restrain on his desires.

That sounds terribly selfish and arrogant, and in certain contexts, I can see that producing terrible results. But! I can see there being some value to not always appealing to the fanbase.

What do I mean? Fates. If we assume the "Family that raised you vs. family that shares your blood" was a developer desire, and "let us copulate with everyone" was something the developers thought fans wanted. Then we might have an instance where appealing to fans might have backfired and IS should should have stuck with what it wanted- which would have avoided the "not actually related to Hoshido" plot issue.

1 hour ago, carefreejules said:

Did a few more edits for fun!

Hide contents

tumblr_pn3pjcuBy91rzdrddo1_1280.png

tumblr_pn3pjcuBy91rzdrddo2_1280.png

tumblr_pn3pjcuBy91rzdrddo3_1280.png

tumblr_pn3pjcuBy91rzdrddo4_500.png

Sorry if Female!Byleth is considerably smaller - my computer has issues opening up the image file that I saved from the wiki so I had to screenshot instead.

I really like that Ashe edit because now it doesn’t look like he’ll kill me in my sleep.

7 hours ago, Jedi said:

FE has always taken inspiration from anime, so this point makes no sense whatsoever. 

latest?cb=20170507144644

This is from FE3, and it's clearly taken from late 80s/early 90s in style. 

So I don't think "FE being TOO anime" is a reasonable complaint. In the looks department.

Just to clarify, I meant the character designs for Otome Yusha may be 'too anime' for FE games from the perspective of the FE community. And by 'too anime', I'm talking more about the over the top, exaggerated designs more than the art style. I can guarantee that if the characters for Otome Yusha were introduced in an FE game, there will be outrage from the FE community.  I don't have a problem with the art styles and designs being heavily inspired by current anime trends and styles but if you look at how people reacted to Kozaki and Hidari, I think you'll see that people do in fact complain about designs that are ' too anime'. 

7 hours ago, Chopper... said:

I don't see how nationality makes us that different, but that aside, I believe Kozaki is more infamous than famous, since even now I can see people are still complaining about his designs in this very forum. I'm one of the apparent few who likes his designs, they're not perfect or anything, it's just because they are creative and colourful. But from the moment they came out to the present time, people have been and are still complaining about Kozaki's designs and many are happy he's gone, so that hasn't changed at all. The fact I'm not happy with the designs in 3H really has nothing to do with him either, it's simply that I consider Kurahana's designs for this game to be bland so far, and sort of unfit, out of their own accord.

I completely agree with this and I'd like to add that I do believe nationality does make a small difference in preferences (in a very general sense). I live in Asia and when I showed my friends (both that plays FE and don't) the characters for Three Houses so far, they all said it's too boring and bland and I agree with them. When I showed them Kozaki, they all really loved the designs because it's more colourful and unique. Whereas online, I see a more diverse reaction between Kozaki and Chinatsu's designs so far (however, it seems that many people have an issue with the art style but not the designs of Chinatsu's characters and the opposite for Kozaki). 

My hypothesis is that since FE is set in a fantasy setting with magic, dragons and beasts, people from the East and West have different preferences for the designs. I feel like the audience from the West wants characters that are more realistic and relatable hence you get designs that are more 'bland' and people hating on Kozaki's designs (shoeless Corrin, Camilla etc.). In East Asia, however, it seems like people prefer over the top, unrealistic and colourful designs (if you look at the fantasy themed mobile games that are exclusive to Japan/South Korea/China, it is really apparent). 

Edited by zuibangde

8 hours ago, starburst said:

Want to bet who will be the # 1 gay pick of this game, by far?

If you're going to bet on that (though this does feel patronizing, as others have said, even though as a wlw I'm not the intended target), you have to keep in mind that Claude has an unfair advantage over any competition except maybe male Byleth; he was in the first trailer, so people had the time to become fond of his design when they were only 4 characters to pay attention to, and we knew he was a lord of some kind and thus would have some plot relevance. Male Byleth was already identified as "you" (and I would love for him to be "the gay pick" if it means he can act on it, but I'd rather not get my hopes up yet) and Dimitri is held back by his hair, so if gay male players had "picked" anyone before last week, it was likely going to be Claude. Supporting characters who will get less screentime in the game proper might have trouble beating that headstart.

(Plus, yeah, communities aren't a hive mind. I know lesbians who find Camilla attractive while she does pretty much the opposite for me.)

Anyway, awesome edits again, @carefreejules ! Ashe looks as adorable as he's meant to be now, M!Byleth doesn't look like an unfeeling robot, and if this was F!Byleth's in-game portrait I would no longer have any hesitation about picking her, booty shorts be damned.

She's a bit of an odd pick. Maybe they went with her because we have more of a royal school setting and that sounds like something right up an otome author's ally? Although some of her past work is great, it is obvious her forte is pretty boys. Although we saw designs for about 25ish characters (still have yet to see more of the cast; there could be WAY more characters on their way), it seems to me that she's great at creating young, idol-esque teens, but struggles with anyone that doesn't really fit that description. Sylvain, Ferdinand, and Claude are definitely indicative of her usual style. I do like that her style definitely seems to be less fanservice-y. It will take me some getting used to, but perhaps down the road a character will be revealed with a design that really appeals to me.

14 hours ago, Pegasus Knight said:

this!! Its silly how str8 people patronize us.... As they like good looking people so are we... but its not like we have some super specific "profile" that all gay men share...

Exactly, like i may not have been clear on my previous post but Raphael being cute was just to me, not all of us in general. I may not see what's so ugly you find in him but i also don't feel much into the 2 main dudes beyond the chance of them being cool friends to have. Now Raphael looks like he could easily big spoon me (i'm way taller than i want to be).

Edited by RexBolt

5 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

Exactly, like i may not have been clear on my previous post but Raphael being cute was just to me, not all of us in general. I may not see what's so ugly you find in him but i also don't feel much into the 2 main dudes beyond the chance of them being cool friends to have. Now Raphael looks like he could easily big spoon me (i'm way taller than i want to be).

It just proves that it all comea down to preferences.... and saying that a character is gay bait (solely on his appearance) its silly...  Personally not only i dont find Raphael good looking but i hate this over the top masculine body....   My FE crushes are Shiro  lucas, Lonqu ... From the ones i played... from others Ike is definitely a snack! :P:

52 minutes ago, Pegasus Knight said:

It just proves that it all comea down to preferences.... and saying that a character is gay bait (solely on his appearance) its silly...  Personally not only i dont find Raphael good looking but i hate this over the top masculine body....   My FE crushes are Shiro  lucas, Lonqu ... From the ones i played... from others Ike is definitely a snack! :P:

I understand, but there will be never a time where i'm not all over a (possible) Gentle Giant archetype. :lol:

It's my favorite archetype together with the money-hungry schemer (Anna's my eternal BFF)!

10 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

I understand, but there will be never a time where i'm not all over a (possible) Gentle Giant archetype. :lol:

It's my favorite archetype together with the money-hungry schemer (Anna's my eternal BFF)!

It seems we have a common! My ultimate BFF is Charlotte.... they way i staned her when she was introduced in conquest.... Best introduction ever!

22 minutes ago, Pegasus Knight said:

It seems we have a common! My ultimate BFF is Charlotte.... they way i staned her when she was introduced in conquest.... Best introduction ever!

I'm kinda playing Conquest right now (got burned out of the final chapter and didn't do endgame yet) and i was kinda sad i never got to use her and know Charlotte better because i had better axes and she couldn't hit anything ever. Maybe i will have better luck with her when i try Revelation.

I wonder if in a cast, until now, so noble rich we will have a all-new character like this or it will only be left to Anna.

14 hours ago, carefreejules said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry if Female!Byleth is considerably smaller - my computer has issues opening up the image file that I saved from the wiki so I had to screenshot instead.

...and now i've got mixed feelings.

it's nice to see how such small details can make tons of difference in terms of vitality, especially when they're done properly like you did.

but it also pains me to know that we'll never get that kind of vibe from the actual game due to different art style, wich is really a shame in my opinion, considering how hollow that style is.

at this point, i can only hope that at least the gameplay and story development will be good enough. it's the only two aspects of the game that have not disappointed me so far.

16 hours ago, carefreejules said:

Reveal hidden contents

Gosh, they look finished now.

On 17/2/2019 at 3:39 PM, Chopper... said:

I don't see how nationality makes us that different, but that aside, I believe Kozaki is more infamous than famous, since even now I can see people are still complaining about his designs in this very forum. I'm one of the apparent few who likes his designs, they're not perfect or anything, it's just because they are creative and colourful. But from the moment they came out to the present time, people have been and are still complaining about Kozaki's designs and many are happy he's gone, so that hasn't changed at all. The fact I'm not happy with the designs in 3H really has nothing to do with him either, it's simply that I consider Kurahana's designs for this game to be bland so far, and sort of unfit, out of their own accord.

As for Lucina and Edelgard... I didn't say Edelgard wouldn't be popular, she's actually the character I like the most so far :lol: But what I meant to say is that she alone can't save the game and make people like the character designs in general. Lucina didn't do such a thing, Awakening has many incredibly popular characters just as much as her or more in the case of Chrom.

Nationality matters in this case since the focus group that IS based their desicion on artist is inherently japanese so wether this desicion was the correct one or not will be decided by their recepion.

Also Kozaki IS the most popular artist, the forums reception are rather inconsequential. Like how you will read Camilla hate on the internet while she is very popular for the general public. So my point is mainly that despite the reception you read around this artist in the internet might has been of the liking of the general public.

Lucina actually did it, to the point that Nintendo basically ignored Chrom's status as the Lord protagonist and put Lucina in Smash first and she has the most alts in Heroes compared to the other popular characters i believe.

On 2/17/2019 at 9:59 PM, carefreejules said:

Hide contents

Wow! It's amazing what a difference that makes. I didn't even think Chinatsu's eyes were that weird until seeing your edits side by side with them lol, especially Ashe. Good job though, your versions have so much more depth and life to them^^

On 2/17/2019 at 9:19 PM, starburst said:

And I cannot see how any woman would find that design (sexually) appealing. He he.

I'm a woman and I find Claude to be pretty appealing. Everyone has different tastes and preferences no matter their sexuality, you know?

On 18.2.2019 at 3:19 AM, starburst said:

And I cannot see how any woman would find that design (sexually) appealing. He he

You clearly haven't spent much time around female fans of the series. I have seen loads fangirls gush about him. He isn't personally my type (those would be Sylvain and Dorothea), but I can see how people of any gender would find him attractive. He is pretty well designed. Also you may want to rethink your posting style, it makes you come across as incredibly arrogant.

10 hours ago, kratoscar2008 said:

Nationality matters in this case since the focus group that IS based their desicion on artist is inherently japanese so wether this desicion was the correct one or not will be decided by their recepion.

Also Kozaki IS the most popular artist, the forums reception are rather inconsequential. Like how you will read Camilla hate on the internet while she is very popular for the general public. So my point is mainly that despite the reception you read around this artist in the internet might has been of the liking of the general public.

Lucina actually did it, to the point that Nintendo basically ignored Chrom's status as the Lord protagonist and put Lucina in Smash first and she has the most alts in Heroes compared to the other popular characters i believe.

It should also be stated that Japan has had more exposure to the series and the most popular games according to this poll (https://s.inside-games.jp/article/2017/09/20/109838_3.html) are FE4, FE7 and PoR. It had like 2000 people, but that's the best you're gonna get out of events like these

Unless you have a link to some kind of poll, I'd recommend people taking "Kozaki is the most popular artist" with a grain of salt.

Lucina being in Smash first is due to more popularity than Chrom or something, no? Robin was apparently a no-brainer, but they still fitted Chrom in Smash as part of Robin's final smash. My guess is that they wanted all three, but would face backlash for 3 characters from the same game coming out at the same time

Your info about alts is a bit outdated. Camilla technically has 7 with the brave alt coming later this year. It should also be stated that the devs or at least the director of FEH has stated that they really like the royals. However, Lyn is the most popular female in FE (at least before Echoes). In fact she got her 5th alt before Lucina. Those two are also sharing spots with Azura and Tiki, though Tiki having 5 alts shared between her child and adult might have justifications for arguments to be made

14 hours ago, kratoscar2008 said:

You keep saying that without no true basis, though... And when I mentioned these forums I did it as an example, it's not like I don't use the internet myself, don't read the news and don't communicate with other beings or something.

Really. What you're saying to me here, since it's in answer to what I said, is that most of the people who played Awakening did it just for the character of Lucina.

I understand you may like Lucina that much, and she's truly very popular, but her character didn't save the game nor was she the reason people liked Awakening's rooster (for those who did, anyway).

Moreover, I belong to a community  of gamers who are (like me) absolutely obsessed with Fire Emblem, and we're like seventeen people. Out of those seventeen, only one loves Lucina (and one Corrin, but that's not important), the rest don't care about her, and there's also a guy who doesn't like her for whatever reason. Again, this is just an example for the statistics.

Edited by Chopper...
Grammar...

FE has become a global franchise so pretty sure Japanese nationality doesn't matter anymore....  Not to mention that NA has close to double the Japanese sales...

Look for example pkmn Gen5 was popular in japan but its the least popular everywhere else.... so for 2 str8 gens now GF parents to the global market and their nostalgia for gen1....

I think what's lacking about this new artist has something to do with cell-shading. Her cel-shading seems really blocky, as if the "fill" paint tool was used. True, Kozaki used cell shading too, but he also used gradient shading and different "pencil" textures to create a sense of motion. On the other hand, Kurahana seems to be flatter, without much motion or energy. 

Here we have default Corrin. Though we have obvious cel-shading in the hair and the right side of the body, we also have gradient shading in the hair, the cape, and the armour. Certain watercolour textures on the armour and cape and pencil stroke textures in the cel-shadows give Corrin a more lively look. The pencil strokes are especially helpful because they give some colour diversity in the cel-shadows and also seem to imply the positioning of the source of the light. Not sure about the water-colour textures, but they help a little in defining shape by making it seem less flat. Also notice that Corrin has a lot of subtle shading, like the white in his hair, or the small silver-ish flecks on his right shoulder (our left). I've also put in a few different characters just to show that his art direction is consistent.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20150620062413 joker.png?w=545cyrus.png?w=545Portrait_selkie_fe14.png

I'm now going to check the Three Heroes art. Luckily, there is also some gradient shading here, as Claude's skin tone changes around his nose, chin, and neck. But the rest is really flat, especially the clothing. We may be inclined to say that his hair has texture, but I would argue otherwise because the shadow is very clearly two different colours of cel-shading. If his hair wasn't curly, we'll think that it's rather flat. As for the clothes, it lacks texture so it's hard to see any kind of definition. Apart from lacking texture and energy, the three main lords are actually quite good. The flatness may be an artistic choice to give a clean looking portrait. That is not to say, however, that her art style is consistent. Other minor characters are not so lucky to be blessed with the saving-feature of skin-tone gradient shading that renders a character more life-like. Have Hilda, Bernadetta, and Ferdinand as start examples. All three have very minimal texture in terms of gradient shading. 

Spoiler

250?cb=20180613034841180?cb=20190215084247    latest?cb=20190214003321latest?cb=20190214004222

That's not so say that the new art is bad. It's quite clean. It's just not as lively or energetic. Perhaps quite a departure from what we expect in a Fire Emblem game, but being in a school-setting, it might make sense that we would want the art direction to be a little calmer and down-to-earth. 

I personally, am not a fan, but given that Three Houses is an original concept for Fire Emblem, we may need more data and gameplay experience to truly judge the compatibility of the new art. 

Edited by leocanta
Forgot the hide the pictures! Sorry!