Fodlan World Map with Transcribed Locations

VincentASM

I wanted to do this when the first trailer came out, but I wasn't sure how important the map locations are. Plus a lot of them were hard to see. But now there are a lot more angles and zoom ins, so here goes...

fodlan-world-map-v1.jpg

Please note that I tried my best, but some names might be slightly or, in some cases, very off.

You can usually tell a name is correct when you Google it and you get a mythological or geographical reference.

Some locations don't have any obvious references though. This could either be because they're wrong or adapted. For example, Varley (no results) was originally Váli in the first version of the map (from E3). Likewise, Morfis was previously Morpheus. Bergliez was Vergilius, etc.

The main ones I'm unsure of are Boramas (used to be something completely different) and Kupala.

One of the reasons I looked into the world map again is because of a certain location near the far north: Gautier. You may know that there's a character called Sylvain Jose Gautier and a monster wielding a Crest Stone of Gautier. It's very possible we'll encounter other characters and monsters related to other locations on the map.

Also, two small locations stand out to me--one near the far east and another near the far west. They are Fodlan's Throat and Fodlan's Fangs. With that info in mind, stand back and look at the world map again...

Unless my eyes deceive me, I think we're looking at the face of a dragon. What if the game is pulling a Dragon Marked For Death? In other words, the continent is a deceased dragon.

Ooo, nice. How detailed this map is really gives the feeling that Fodlan is a real, developed place. Infinitely better than what we got with Fates and its no-name continent. Hopefully we can finally get an official name for Fateslandia when the artbook drops? I'm not counting on it unfortunately.

So, some quick analysis here. We currently know 4 full names of the characters in this game: Edelgard von Hresvelgr, Dimitri Alexander Blaiddyd, Claude von Riegan, and Sylvain Jose Gautier. Ignoring spelling differences, all 4 have their surnames as locations on the map, meaning they likely indicate the different noble territories within Fodlan. For now, I'll operate under the assumption that every single noble house shares their surname with their noble territory. So, ignoring map names that obviously describe geographic locations (Fodlan's Fangs, Brionac Plateau, etc.) or institutions (Western Church, Eastern Church), we can probably figure out the names of all the noble houses in Fodlan:

Spoiler
  1. Gautier
  2. Itha
  3. Fraldarius
  4. Fhirdiad
  5. Blaiddyd
  6. Conand
  7. Galatea
  8. Charon
  9. Gideon
  10. Mateus
  11. Kleiman
  12. Teutates
  13. Rome
  14. Arianrhod
  15. Gaspard
  16. Magdred
  17. Arundel
  18. Nuvelle
  19. Oche
  20. Hevring
  21. Remire
  22. Oghma
  23. Varley
  24. Merceus
  25. Hresvelg
  26. Enbarr
  27. Boramas
  28. Rusalka
  29. Aegir
  30. Bergliez
  31. Airmid
  32. Hyrm
  33. Myrddin
  34. Ordelia
  35. Goneril
  36. Riegan
  37. Derdriu
  38. Edmund
  39. Kupala
  40. Ailell
  41. Daphnel
  42. Gloucester

Assuming that all these names I picked out actually are noble territories and not single-word geographic locations or other such places, that's 42 noble houses total.

We also know from the mural with the goddess we saw in the first trailer, there are only 21 crests. With all this information, we can make two assumptions:

1. Not every house will have a crest. This could be for multiple reasons, such as some noble houses emerging recently or perhaps not ever being associated with a crest to begin with. This could be an interesting plot detail, with crest-bearing houses potentially having greater control or power? This could serve as a source of internal conflict within each country too.
  2. Assuming every noble house has at least one child that attends the Officer Academy, there will be at least of 42 students in the monastery. Obviously, there could be more through siblings and such, and there's always the possibility that some noble houses won't have any children of age to attend the academy, but if there really is 42 students in the academy, it's entirely possible to have a decent-sized FE roster that consists of only students and maybe some teachers if we really are able to recruit the students from the other houses at some point.

8 minutes ago, SageOfAnys said:

We also know from the mural with the goddess we saw in the first trailer, there are only 21 crests. With all this information, we can make two assumptions:

I've also been looking into that. I broke it down by number of Houses/Locations/Cities in each region, and found a really cool pattern.
Will continue to look into.

PTmzY1y.jpg

We know the Crests of the 3 main protagonists because they are shown on the map. Gautier (part of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus) also has a crest, but which one is unknown. But looking at the Seiros Mural and the locations of the Main 3 Crests, the breakdown worked out perfectly. 

This could all be a coincidence and pure speculation, but it works out so well.

Brigid just has an entire ocean named after her in an entirely different continent.

Or maybe it's a collective of islands.

Either way, I like to imagine that Brigid just came around to this continent and left a big enough impression that they named an entire area after her.

Yes, I know IS likes to interchange already-used names a lot, I'm making a joke.

12 minutes ago, Lord_Grima said:

I've also been looking into that. I broke it down by number of Houses/Locations/Cities in each region, and found a really cool pattern.

PTmzY1y.jpg

We know the Crests of the 3 main protagonists because they are shown on the map. Gautier (part of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus) also has a crest, but which one is unknown. But looking at the Seiros Mural and the locations of the Main 3 Crests, the breakdown worked out perfectly. 

You may be on to something.

I think this may be the crest for Gautier, from what might be the Crest Stone of Gautier:

crest-stone-300x169.jpg

It's also looking like Sylvain is from Faerghus, so that matches up with the order.

Edited by VincentASM

5 minutes ago, DuckPhoenix said:

We can already see the 4 crests from Leicester Alliance and although I like your theory, they do not match with it.

The number of crests might be a possibility though.

What 4 crests? Pretty sure the only one we know for sure is from Leicester is the moon symbol.

10 minutes ago, Lord_Grima said:

PTmzY1y.jpg

2 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

You may be on to something.

I think this may be the crest for Gautier, from what might be the Crest Stone of Gautier:

crest-stone-300x169.jpg

It's also looking like Sylvain is from Faerghus, so that matches up with the order.

Nice! It'll be interesting if the pattern does end up with crests being grouped by country.

Also for future reference, I've grouped each house by country in the two spoilers below for easy allegiance identification:

Visual representation

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.10f5dc6c274ea15f7bcfeb8c38397fcf.png

Text representation:

Spoiler
  1. Gautier
  2. Itha
  3. Fraldarius
  4. Fhirdiad
  5. Blaiddyd
  6. Conand
  7. Galatea
  8. Charon
  9. Gideon
  10. Mateus
  11. Kleiman
  12. Teutates
  13. Rome
  14. Arianrhod
  15. Gaspard
  16. Magdred
  17. Arundel
  18. Nuvelle
  19. Oche
  20. Hevring
  21. Remire
  22. Oghma
  23. Varley
  24. Merceus
  25. Hresvelg
  26. Enbarr
  27. Boramas
  28. Rusalka
  29. Aegir
  30. Bergliez
  31. Airmid
  32. Hyrm
  33. Myrddin
  34. Ordelia
  35. Goneril
  36. Riegan
  37. Derdriu
  38. Edmund
  39. Kupala
  40. Ailell
  41. Daphnel
  42. Gloucester

Bolded names are ones that we know have crests.

I'm surprised to see that there are that many named locations. Shows that they at least that they pay more attention to the world they're creating, at least compared to Fates.

Curious to see what Almyra is about. It's rather large and it's separated from all the other three territories. 

8 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

What 4 crests? Pretty sure the only one we know for sure is from Leicester is the moon symbol.

5c68a74ae8a18_FE3H6.thumb.png.8456d4f7811e03990a7f4176b9de011e.png

If you look closely at this leicester alliance crest/emblem/whatever ot is called in english...

Top left is the moon we all know.

Too right is the symbol that is also in the center of the healing spell from Linhardt. It is also next to Dimitris crest.

Bottom left has the weird circle that is under the woman who is on her knees and dressed in white.

Bottom right is a little hard to make out, but the center of the alliance had these 4 crests in mini again and I think this one is the crest that is to the right of the 'weird circle'.

Sorry for not being able to provide more pictures. I am on my phone and it is the middle of the night.

9 minutes ago, DuckPhoenix said:

5c68a74ae8a18_FE3H6.thumb.png.8456d4f7811e03990a7f4176b9de011e.png

If you look closely at this leicester alliance crest/emblem/whatever ot is called in english...

Top left is the moon we all know.

Too right is the symbol that is also in the center of the healing spell from Linhardt. It is also next to Dimitris crest.

Bottom left has the weird circle that is under the woman who is on her knees and dressed in white.

Bottom right is a little hard to make out, but the center of the alliance had these 4 crests in mini again and I think this one is the crest that is to the right of the 'weird circle'.

Sorry for not being able to provide more pictures. I am on my phone and it is the middle of the night.

Oh, I see what you're talking about. You mean these, right?

image.png.5714dbf015cfc0bf8da00a41a7080fd3.png

It's interesting how the emblem of Leicester emphasizes these crests in particular, it really suggests that the country only has 4 crests, as it would be strange for it to have more but also have them not represented.

EDIT: Also, the rightmost circled crest has been seen before during the two times magic was cast in the trailer - first the healing magic by Linhardt and then the offensive fire spell cast by the Western Church soldier. Unless it was just a placeholder crest for trailer purposes (which part of me really doubts) I guess crests that appear during magic spells cannot be tied to the house of the caster.

Edited by SageOfAnys

Thank you for marking them on the picture. :)

What I think is weird about them is, that if Dimitri's crest and Claude's crest were to change places in the order, the alliance crests would be right next to each other.

Oh...you are right. This crest was also in the center of the magic spell. I totally forgot about that. 

Maybe the family under this crest is well known for their magical aptitude? If I had to make a guess on who that could be...right now I would chose the boy/girl with the glasses from Golden Deer.

Edited by DuckPhoenix

1 hour ago, DuckPhoenix said:

We can already see the 4 crests from Leicester Alliance and although I like your theory, they do not match with it.

The number of crests might be a possibility though.

37 minutes ago, DuckPhoenix said:

If you look closely at this leicester alliance crest/emblem/whatever ot is called in english..

Interesting. I didn't notice those before.

fHaWlfl.png

Those symbols also appear in the center of the Crest/Emblem as well. That does make things more complicated.

sbyY8G6.png2Z6aTRG.png

Both Adrestian and Faerghus only have the main crest symbol (of their leader's houses) on their banners. So, really interesting how Leicester focuses on four. Maybe because they are an alliance instead of the empire and kingdom?

Then there is the fact that both Linhardt and a Western Church Soldier use the same symbol in their magic. Linhardt is from the Black Eagles (Adrestian Empire) and the Western Church is located on the border of the Adrestian Empire and Faerghus.

Bow9ZCr.jpgxOEb72t.jpgZCEdiqF.jpg

Edited by Lord_Grima

Guest This Guy

I'm more interested in those other countries outside the 3.

Sreng looks to be Denmark/Scandinavia meaning Vikings. Albinea is clearly Albion.....which depending on if they are focusing on historical or lore, could mean England perhaps Anglo-Saxon England back when they had Huskarls still, before the Normans came and conquered it, or it could mean a Fairy Kingdom. Brigid I have no idea, the closest that comes to mind is Brittany, the only Celtic Nation outside the British Isles (Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Cornwall, Isle of Mann. England was founded by Saxons, a Germanic Tribe.) that was left prior to it's annexation by France, but even that is weird as it was a nation that was completely connected by land. Almyra is either Middle Eastern, Armenian, Romanian, or Slavic based I'd guess. Morfis I'm utterly baffled as to what it can be, the closest thing coming to mind being Australia, which would be weird. Then there's that little bit of land west of Srang and North of Faerghus.

And real quick Let's talk about the 4 factions that are Relevant.
Based on the name and the fact we saw Kilt wearing soldiers, Faerghus is either Scottish or The Highlands. The Empire is probably the Holy Roman Empire And thus mostly Germanic. Despite the English name, Leicester is probably closer to the merchant Republics of Venice, Amalfi, Genoa, Pisa, Gotland, Ancona, and the Hansa.
The Church.......is obviously the Papacy.

2 hours ago, DuckPhoenix said:

Western church looks like it is in the area that is neither part of Adrestia nor Faerghus. If you look in the new trailer, when they colored the territories, then you can see it around that area.

I was looking for someone else who pointed that out, couldn't find anyone, so I took a blurry picture with my phone, doodled on it, got ready to post... and then found this thread. I'm still posting my blurry picture just because I can.

Spoiler

IMG_1255.jpg.thumb.jpg.76425ca8dd7855f3aae81318f3b9de44.jpg

Betting it's going to be plot relevant in someway, and having it be church territory was my first guess. The question now is, is it the location of an actual church? Or maybe a fort that the church used to instill peace in that area some years ago.

Edited by GreyJedi

1 hour ago, DuckPhoenix said:

Thank you for marking them on the picture. :)

What I think is weird about them is, that if Dimitri's crest and Claude's crest were to change places in the order, the alliance crests would be right next to each other.

Everything that's being discovered here is so fascinating.

By the way, did you check this against the image of the soundtrack CD? This image seems to be still from the first trailer, while the CD brings new information revealing the Crests that were hidden before. But i didn't get the chance to see if the order is the same.

12 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

Everything that's being discovered here is so fascinating.

By the way, did you check this against the image of the soundtrack CD? This image seems to be still from the first trailer, while the CD brings new information revealing the Crests that were hidden before. But i didn't get the chance to see if the order is the same.

The order is indeed different. 

cd-crests.jpgcrest-stone-circle.jpg

Edited by Enduin

31 minutes ago, Enduin said:

Great, it's still not exactly how @Lord_Grima presented it and the Riegan Crest isn't visible, but going by it's previous locations the other Crests is the Leicester Alliance flag now are all adjacent to one another.

41 minutes ago, Enduin said:

On the CD the order is different, but the order of the crests on the artbook is the same. Most likely so they didn't have to redo the artwork.

fire-emblem-three-houses-seasons-of-wayfare-edition.jpg

itiBAhF.jpg                             LxH0O1C.png

First one here is the order on the artwork/mural, the second is what i saw on the CD. The three symbols on the side were obstructed in the image, so no idea exactly where they go. It definitely changed the order, but @RexBolt the Leicester symbols are still mixed around the Dimitri/ Blaiddyd Symbol.

2 minutes ago, Lord_Grima said:

On the CD the order is different, but the order of the crests on the artbook is the same. Most likely so they didn't have to redo the artwork.

fire-emblem-three-houses-seasons-of-wayfare-edition.jpg

itiBAhF.jpg                             LxH0O1C.png

First one here is the order on the artwork/mural, the second is what i saw on the CD. The three symbols on the side were obstructed in the image, so no idea exactly where they go. It definitely changed the order, but @RexBolt the Leicester symbols are still mixed around the Dimitri/ Blaiddyd Symbol.

I see (also i don't, your image doesn't show up). Maybe this will mean that Leicester, with it's a little bit more modern way to rule, is a relative recent creation and they were once territories from the other kingdoms? But that's a stretch if i ever wrote one. If anything the order represents nothing because in-universe the artwork predates all countries besides maybe the Adrestian Empire (who may be over 1000 y.o. if we consider a previous dynasty).