So About Byleths Father, Jeralt...

Hawkwing

Will he live or die?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Will he live or die?

• He's a-gonna die.
    • It'll look like he's going to die, but they'll end up subverting the cliche.
    • He'll "die", but then he'll come back in some way.
    • He's going to be present throughout a good amount of the story.
    • He won't die, but he won't be involved much in the overall story.
    • He'll be a normal unit, so it's in the players hands.
    • Zombie Jeralt!
    • Other
  2. 2. Will he be playable?

• I already said he's gonna die!
    • He'll be a normal unit.
    • He'll be the Jeigan of the game.
    • He'll be the Gotoh of the game.
    • He won't be playable.
    • He won't be playable, but he'll be involved in the story.
    • He's going to be a New Game + reward
    • Other

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Morning Star

I really hope for him to live (who doesn't) but chances are...he won't. :( 

Not just FE Series. Anime in general like to kill off MC parents! Harhar.

I do like the thought of disbanded mercenaries joining later on in the game. FE has been traditionally having a cast of random people (not just nobles and knights) that I'd like there to be a NOT noble in the cast. A mercenary would be a great add. Gives a spice to a cast of supports that, otherwise, would only contain Byleth and his school peeps (teachers, students, etc.)

If his father lives and if everyone's prediction of him not being the biological dad it would be great to see an adoptive son/father support. Kinda like grandpa Mycen and Alm.

This topic of Byleth's dad just made me realize: how likely is it that Byleth's mom will actually be a character? The only protagonist's mother that I can think of that was actually a character in the story was Ike's mother Elena, and, even then, she was a posthumous character. 

10 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

This topic of Byleth's dad just made me realize: how likely is it that Byleth's mom will actually be a character? The only protagonist's mother that I can think of that was actually a character in the story was Ike's mother Elena, and, even then, she was a posthumous character. 

Good point. I'd really like to actually see a character's mother for once. 

45 minutes ago, PrincessAlyson said:

Good point. I'd really like to actually see a character's mother for once. 

Thanks. To be honest, at this point, I'd be happy with just plot relevance and the character still being alive at the start of the story; I don't even need to see the character. But yes, I agree that it would be good to actually see the protagonist's mother. 

Guest This Guy

I want nothing more in terms of this character to just leave Byleth in charge of the class and goes and does Mercenary work elsewhere til the end or after the end and then just comes back and goes "I LEFT YOU ALONE JUST A FEW WEEKS/MONTHS! HOW DID YOU GET INTO THAT MUCH TROUBLE!?".

On 2/21/2019 at 9:20 PM, vanguard333 said:

The only protagonist's mother that I can think of that was actually a character in the story was Ike's mother Elena, and, even then, she was a posthumous character. 

Eliwood’s mom. She’s alive during the story too.

I’m hoping Geralt lives. Keep him far from the story once Byleth becomes a teacher and maybe have him join in the last few chapters. That’s what I’m hoping for.

22 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

Eliwood’s mom. She’s alive during the story too. 

Oh. Okay. Thanks for letting me know. 

22 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

I’m hoping Geralt lives. Keep him far from the story once Byleth becomes a teacher and maybe have him join in the last few chapters. That’s what I’m hoping for.

His name's Jeralt. Geralt is a Witcher. Agreed; I'm hoping that he lives, simply because it would be a good change of pace. 

I'm guessing if he does live and join way later he'll be relegated as a Byleth only and obviously non-romancable(as Female) support if he truely is our biological father but I'm leaning he won't make it by early in the game and will be one of our characters growth push to start our adventure.

Considering he seems to be well known within the Academy and probably everywhere else as some kind of badass warrior(which is really the only reason a punk like Byleth got the job)I am guessing he is either going to live and be the Jeigan relatively quickly after the field trips are over, or he is going to appear to be killed and later join as a ridiculously overpowered unit late game.

Then again Greil was consider a "badass" and look what happened(yes there's was a certain circumstance) but being a strong well known warrior doesn't mean your safe. With the track record of powerful FE parents of main characters getting offed(excluding Eliwood) this very likely won't be different.

He has to be some kind of bigshot, otherwise I don't see why the Church would hire a bunch of mercs for teaching purposes. Maybe they're looking for rougher, more practical approach to teaching, to prepare the students for war; I wonder why they wouldn't just gather the top commanders from the respective territories to oversee the learning of the nations' future leaders.

Also has there been any info on how long the school has been a thing? I might have missed it, but if it's a recent thing and Jeralt/Byleth are meant to be newer instructors (along with those already present; old man in brown coat, glamorous-looking lady) then it might be a case for preparing for some conflict that only the higher-ups know about.

3 hours ago, SorrowOfAcheron said:

He has to be some kind of bigshot, otherwise I don't see why the Church would hire a bunch of mercs for teaching purposes.

Yeah, I'm sure Jeralt and his mercenaries are well-known, though maybe not everywhere in Fodlan. The recent trailer mentioned that since Byleth's mysterious power emerged, s/he got accepted as a professor. So it might be the power and the fact that as a merc, Byleth would have real fighting experience. That's all I can think of. Maybe they recruit individuals with experience and rare skills/magic/etc.

33 minutes ago, PrincessAlyson said:

Yeah, I'm sure Jeralt and his mercenaries are well-known, though maybe not everywhere in Fodlan. The recent trailer mentioned that since Byleth's mysterious power emerged, s/he got accepted as a professor. So it might be the power and the fact that as a merc, Byleth would have real fighting experience. That's all I can think of. Maybe they recruit individuals with experience and rare skills/magic/etc.

That could be a possibility. It actually makes sense, if the Church is on the more sketchy side, and use Crests for unsavoury things like it's being discussed in another topic. Recruiting someone with a weird skill would be good for them.

I'm also wondering if the Church hires Byleth because his father apparently won't make it to that stage (maybe trigger his 'mysterious power') or because his father recommends him (and stays alive).

7 minutes ago, PrincessAlyson said:

I am hoping Jeralt stays alive for the entire game. Give him to us as a late-game unit, maybe a Gotoh or an Athos type.

Prepare your disappointment

I could see him coming back after supposedly dying, unless we bury him or something. Maybe like how Basilio and Flavia worked; you knew them almost the whole game, they were with you in everything but gameplay for part of the first arc and most of the second arc and then they joined near the conclusion. Basilio even had the whole 'Not really dead' thing going.

4 minutes ago, SorrowOfAcheron said:

I could see him coming back after supposedly dying, unless we bury him or something. Maybe like how Basilio and Flavia worked; you knew them almost the whole game, they were with you in everything but gameplay for part of the first arc and most of the second arc and then they joined near the conclusion. Basilio even had the whole 'Not really dead' thing going.

Their not a already parental character though and got told before hand of the events.

• 2 months later...

So we get a new view of Byleth's father now. Opinions? Is he still doomed to die? He's going to rejoin the knights...will he become an enemy of Byleth? Which Emblem game was it where someone told the other that Mercenaries are bound to eventually fight old allies on the field, all of them? I wouldn't be surprised.