Something special about Byleth’s sword? (Speculation)

IEatLasers

think Byleth’s sword may have divine ability of a goddess and it may be a whip too? Unit can counterattack regardless of space? 

Whip Sword?

Sorry for keeping the annoying bars there I felt people may want to see timestamps! 

Edited by IEatLasers

16 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

think Byleth’s sword may have divine ability of a goddess and it may be a whip too? Unit can counterattack regardless of space? 

Whip Sword?

Sorry for keeping the annoying bars there I felt people may want to see timestamps! 

I wonder when he will obtain the sword because it seems to be in the possession of at least 2 major characters before Byleth, but I guess one of them could take it from him and then he gets it back.

I'm personally dying to see the whip sword animation, most likely tied to a combat art.

Thane theorized that the grand battle we saw in trailer 1 was from the past, and considering we got two lookalikes in it(the blond church warrior and the older enemy general, looking like the current head of the church and Jeralt respectively), it makes a lot of sense to me. If that's correct and those are ancestors, Byleth can use the whipsword due to his lineage.

In any case, it ends up in possession of the church at some point, but also seems to be cursed in some way, so maybe Byleth obtains it as a poisoned gift? And as Vincent pointed out in his analysis, it used to house a crest that is now gone. So clearly there's a lot going on here, and this thing is probably going to be Yato levels of importance.

Edit: Also, someone else(I can't remember who, apologies) pointed out that the flaming sword of the swordswoman jumping at the screen(Vincent's analysis has a good shot of it) looks a lot like the sword of Seiros on the mural, with that distinct lightning design... so maybe these two blades are representing opposing forces, and while she's the warrior of light so to speak, Byleth is the warrior of dark. Or something like that.

Edited by Cysx

I've been speculating a few things about Byleth's sword:

One thing that I've speculated is that, where legendary swords like the Falchion were forged from a dragon fang, this one was forged from either a dragon's tail or its spine. I believe this to be the case because of its colour, its magical properties, and all the strange notches on one side of the blade that look like the back parts of a tail or spine. If this is the case, then the dragon more than likely was killed or injured before this blade was forged, which ties into my next piece of speculation. 

Legendary swords in Fire Emblem typically have heroic histories behind them; the Falchion, for example, was forged so that humanity had a way of defending themselves if the maddened Earth Dragons ever broke free, and it was used by Anri to defeat Medeus and topple the Dolhr Empire. One of the few things I liked about Fates was the reveal that the Yato actually had a history of evil behind it, as it was used to get humans involved in the War of the First Dragons, and so the story of Fates was a redemption arc for the sword and the one who forged it: The Rainbow Sage. It also was one of the few things in the game that impacted Corrin without making them more of a mary sue: it chose Corrin because of their desire for peace; the same thing The Rainbow Sage now wants. 

For this game, I think that they may be trying again at something like what they did in Fates: the hero's sword having originally been intended for something horrific, rather than something heroic. I think this is the case not just because of the dark magic that is unleashed when Byleth and the old guy use it, but also because of the woman who holds the sword in the first trailer (picture below). Look at how emotional she's getting when she holds he sword; almost on the verge of tears, and the angle of the lighting, among other things, suggests that this may be the morning after a horrific battle.

Spoiler

Related image

All this, to me, suggests that the sword has a dark and troubled history, complete with a tragic backstory, and that this game's story may be a redemption arc for it. 

4 hours ago, Cysx said:

Edit: Also, someone else(I can't remember who, apologies) pointed out that the flaming sword of the swordswoman jumping at the screen(Vincent's analysis has a good shot of it) looks a lot like the sword of Seiros on the mural, with that distinct lightning design... so maybe these two blades are representing opposing forces, and while she's the warrior of light so to speak, Byleth is the warrior of dark. Or something like that.

Wait; when was that sword on fire? Also, interesting. But the sword on the mural doesn't have a lightning design. If you look at something like the Levin Sword; the blade is very angled; giving the distinct lightning bolt appearance. The blade on the mural is a wavy blade; much like an actual Flamberge, which would actually fit the idea of it being a fiery sword quite well. 

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Wait; when was that sword on fire? Also, interesting. But the sword on the mural doesn't have a lightning design. If you look at something like the Levin Sword; the blade is very angled; giving the distinct lightning bolt appearance. The blade on the mural is a wavy blade; much like an actual Flamberge, which would actually fit the idea of it being a fiery sword quite well. 

I don't know, the edges look just sharp enough to evoke lightning, to me at least, but, your point definitely makes sense here. And I did misspeak, it's not literally engulfed in flames, there's just a bright red aura emanating from it.

9 hours ago, Onestep said:

If you look closely, you can actually see Byleth wield the sword in gameplay. It's just before the Gambit Attack section.

Oh okay! It’s just a normal sword though, maybe he needs to find the crest before it can be a whip? 

11 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

Oh okay! It’s just a normal sword though, maybe he needs to find the crest before it can be a whip? 

It's also absolutely massive and glowing brightly, which suggests some degree of magic. Likely, the blade morphs between being a blade or a chain-sword depending on range.

4 hours ago, Onestep said:

It's also absolutely massive and glowing brightly, which suggests some degree of magic. Likely, the blade morphs between being a blade or a chain-sword depending on range.

Maybe the chain-sword explosive death attack we saw the old guy in the trailer use is a Combat Art?

26 minutes ago, Zhilai said:

Hopefully the sword will have high durability then, if you can break it.

I doubt that the sword will have a durability if it's a legendary weapon that Byleth has for a decent chunk of the game. They might revert to HP draining for this art specifically.

Maybe a cooldown mechanic could work too, the sword glows like it was shown to in the gambit boost scene when it's ready to use the art and when it's cooling down it's dull like when the deity lady is holding it in the first trailer.

37 minutes ago, Zhilai said:

I find it extremely unlikely it'll have durability maybe a cooldown.

1 hour ago, Zhilai said:

I don't think so.

It'll probably function as the Falchion of this game, which has always been unbreakable even though Shadow Dragon and Awakening both had durability.

13 hours ago, Zhilai said:

I rather doubt that this sword will have durability. Besides the fact that it's a plot-relevant legendary weapon, it also looks like it is forged from dragon bones, and weapons forged from parts of powerful dragons are indestructible in FE.