Weekly Fatesawakening Support Discussion Thread (Week 1 Redux: Male Robin)

Just as it says on the tin. Weekly, I will prompt discussion of a certain pair and their supports (whether or not they are of the same gender). Whether you like the pairing, what details there are that possibly change things, etc. If SoV is wanted, I will change this up.

I’ll give my thoughts on a pairing later on in the week, after reading up on the support myself.

First one up is a favorite of mine, Robin (M) x Tiki in Awakening.

Edit: Now note that we will talk about one person from now on each week. As of this writing, that is Male Robin.

Edited by Azure in a Roundabout

I'll leave the link to it on SF here.

I find it interesting that the B support hints at Sigurd also being an ancestor of Chrom, though it's kind of weird to have an avatar character be compared quite closely to Marth personality wise (hence why maybe avatar character isn't accurate in FE) from early on in the conversation, almost like Tiki has some attraction to Marth still that lingered and then kind of passes on to Robin, even if she can differentiate pretty clearly later on as she becomes more attached to Robin. It's interesting as well to see Robin talk himself down when he funnily enough he is the intended vessel for Grima and thus has some exceptional and draconic heritage and could know this by the time the conversation's triggered. Her mention of Gharnef sadly doesn't go much anywhere either sadly. Also, I kind of hope Tikiwiki makes it into Heroes somehow.

Not a pairing I dislike, but not exactly up there for me.

16 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

I click and hold the title, but nothing happens.

Looks like you'll have to do it the clunkier way - edit the first post.  The title should be at the top.

Robin/Tiki is my second favorite pairing in Awakening, second only to Lucina. Tiki and Robin work so well together that it's honestly adorable. 

Their support chain is Tiki sensing so many similarities Robin shares with Marth, not in blood relations, but in spiritual side. Robin, being someone without memory, is surprised, but also touched at being mistaken for someone else. He even makes a cute nickname for her, Tikiwiki, which is adorable. And Tiki falling for Robin ends up because she fell in love with Robin himself, not simply because he reminds her of Marth which makes this even better.

The best part about their support chain is that the entire thing flows perfectly in tune. Unlike many S Supports that seems to have a shoehorned marriage proposal, it feels perfectly natural. No proposal or rings or anything. Rather, Tiki confesses her love, and Robin then laments that he feels inferior to many people Tiki must have met throughout the ages, and then says the sweetest line:

Are my fears truly groundless? Can I...allow myself to love you?

This is just so heartwarming. 

And Tiki's line at the end:

I know that to love another, I must watch the world move past him. But such short years make an eternity worth living.

Tiki knows that she will outlive Robin. She knows that the time they spent will be so short for Tiki. But that time is something that Tiki never wants to miss the chance of ever having. And after a long 3000 years of life, I feel she deserves this.

In terms of Tiki's comparison of Robin to Marth, I could sort of see it.

In New Mystery of the Emblem, one thing they really drive home is the fact that Marth hates sacrificing allies.  "He truly thinks that he can save everyone. In war, losing just one companion is unbearable for him..."  "Even if I'm deluding myself... I don't want to let even a single one of my comrades die."  Marth even goes so far to imply that he isn't willing to make the decision of "sacrificing a few to save many".

Compare that to Robin's support with Virion.  "No, this army needs a tactician who loathes the sacrifice of even a single man. It needs you, Robin."  This trait of loathing the sacrifice of allies seems to be shared with Robin as well.

And as that seems to be one of Marth's more defining traits and that Marth seems to also be the man that made all the tactical decisions in the Wars of Shadows and Heroes, it's easy to see how that compassionate trait sticks out enough that Tiki might mistake Robin for him despite the fact that they look nothing alike.  It's sort of like how my father would get my brother and his brother confused sometimes; they don't look too terribly alike, especially given the age difference, but there are similarities in other traits that could lead to those kinds of mistakes occasionally.

Also, the name "Tikiwiki" reminds me of the Teletubbies.  Because one of them is named "Tinkiwinki", which is pretty much "Tikiwiki" with two "n"s jammed in between, and I remember that one the most because he literally sounds like a grown man pretending to be a baby.  I know this because of Vinesauce, I'd never watch the trite that is baby shows willingly.

8 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

The best part about their support chain is that the entire thing flows perfectly in tune. Unlike many S Supports that seems to have a shoehorned marriage proposal, it feels perfectly natural. No proposal or rings or anything.

imo, that's actually a number of Robin supports.

Robin's the kind of character you can see naturally falling into a relationship with various different characters.  As a character who's meant to be able to form friendships with anyone, he's handled the best out of all the avatars in the series.

If anything, Fates is the one with shoehorned marriage proposals more than Awakening is.  That isn't to say Awakening doesn't have its share of... less admirable S-supports (why do they have to have Nah threaten to vore Inigo in their marriage?), but it's surprising how many of Robin's relationships feel natural.

2 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

imo, that's actually a number of Robin supports.

Robin's the kind of character you can see naturally falling into a relationship with various different characters.  As a character who's meant to be able to form friendships with anyone, he's handled the best out of all the avatars in the series.

If anything, Fates is the one with shoehorned marriage proposals more than Awakening is.  That isn't to say Awakening doesn't have its share of... less admirable S-supports (why do they have to have Nah threaten to vore Inigo in their marriage?), but it's surprising how many of Robin's relationships feel natural.

Actually, thinking on it now, the marriage proposal might actually be only for the mothers, due to how their child brings back a ring that the mother owned. 

The Avatar & Tiki is my 2nd favorite pairing for the avatar, but I'm little annoyed on why Tiki compare him to Marth. Robin never really has charisma that Marth has.

F!Avatar & Tiki is just silly & probably could've been done better

1 minute ago, Zangetsu said:

The Avatar & Tiki is my 2nd favorite pairing for the avatar, but I'm little annoyed on why Tiki compare him to Marth. Robin never really has charisma that Marth has.

F!Avatar & Tiki is just silly & probably could've been done better

It isn't about charisma. It is about what kind of person they are. One doesn't need to be some born leader to have the same personality. Also, Robin is plenty charismatic with how he had earned the trust of others quickly. Also, he's very interactive with the others and helps out when he can, a trait that Tiki noticed in Lucina which she notes is something similar to Marth. 

15 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

It isn't about charisma. It is about what kind of person they are. One doesn't need to be some born leader to have the same personality. Also, Robin is plenty charismatic with how he had earned the trust of others quickly. Also, he's very interactive with the others and helps out when he can, a trait that Tiki noticed in Lucina which she notes is something similar to Marth. 

It also defeats the purpose of an avatar. That support conversation implies that Robin could lead an entire nation, which admittedly isn't all that hard to believe.

2 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

It also defeats the purpose of an avatar. That support conversation implies that Robin could lead an entire nation, which admittedly isn't all that hard to believe.

Not quite. You're sort of missing how the support chain ultimately goes. Tiki ends up eventually loving Robin for ROBIN, not because he's like Marth. She first sees him as someone similar to Marth. Then she starts seeing Robin for himself, which is partially what Robin was fearful of at the end when he thought that any feelings she might have for him were just for the other guy. 

Also, storywise, the paragon of leadership and ideals is Emmeryn. Chrom feels that he cannot even hope to compete with her. But Robin and Chrom working together ultimately surpass Emmeryn. Where Emmeryn is able to endure the burden herself, Robin and Chrom can take more together. Two halves of one whole.

24 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Not quite. You're sort of missing how the support chain ultimately goes. Tiki ends up eventually loving Robin for ROBIN, not because he's like Marth. She first sees him as someone similar to Marth. Then she starts seeing Robin for himself, which is partially what Robin was fearful of at the end when he thought that any feelings she might have for him were just for the other guy. 

Also, storywise, the paragon of leadership and ideals is Emmeryn. Chrom feels that he cannot even hope to compete with her. But Robin and Chrom working together ultimately surpass Emmeryn. Where Emmeryn is able to endure the burden herself, Robin and Chrom can take more together. Two halves of one whole.

Yes, I'm aware of this. That is why it's my 2nd favorite pairing.

On 2/19/2019 at 6:12 PM, Jingle Jangle said:

I think it would be better if the thread was changes to supports about a certain person rather than rather than just one. That way there is more to discuss.

It’s just for one week, and many people can have different ideas about one support.

But, I do not know. Maybe we can change it all next week.

I suppose I can add my thoughts to the mix. I like how she recognizes the player behind the character with the "similarity" between Marth and Robin. Plus the implication that Marth may be descended from Sigurd adds to my head cannon that the brands of the exalt and the two from Valentia are the physical signs of Jugdral style Holy Blood. Although I find the implications that Robin is the only one she loved odd. At first I thought it might be a hint that she recognized the dragon within him, but the confession part makes it clear that she thinks she will outlive him as if he were a human. However that confession sounds an awful lot like Robin isn't the first human she married and outlived so perhaps she was just stroking his ego with all that singular talk.

24 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I suppose I can add my thoughts to the mix. I like how she recognizes the player behind the character with the "similarity" between Marth and Robin. Plus the implication that Marth may be descended from Sigurd adds to my head cannon that the brands of the exalt and the two from Valentia are the physical signs of Jugdral style Holy Blood. Although I find the implications that Robin is the only one she loved odd. At first I thought it might be a hint that she recognized the dragon within him, but the confession part makes it clear that she thinks she will outlive him as if he were a human. However that confession sounds an awful lot like Robin isn't the first human she married and outlived so perhaps she was just stroking his ego with all that singular talk.

Not a lot of people like that idea that Marth is a descendant of Sigurd, as, by extension, that means Anri is also Sigurd's descendant, and people preferred Anri to be this badass no name or connection peasant that destroyed Medeus.

Also, Tiki's thing with Robin is that it's heavily implied that Tiki was in love with Marth. And she DID outlive Marth, along with everyone else in the Archanea series. 

Also, though Robin is a vessel of Grima, he is still ultimately a human. He does not possess the life of a Manakete.

22 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Not a lot of people like that idea that Marth is a descendant of Sigurd, as, by extension, that means Anri is also Sigurd's descendant, and people preferred Anri to be this badass no name or connection peasant that destroyed Medeus.

That's never stopped people from thinking of Ike as the peasant lord, despite him being the son of Gwain, one of the Four Generals of Daein who would have been noble (either entitled by blood or deed). Plus Anri could still be unrelated to Sigurd, if Marth's mother or grandmother were descendants of Sigurd.

27 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Also, Tiki's thing with Robin is that it's heavily implied that Tiki was in love with Marth. And she DID outlive Marth, along with everyone else in the Archanea series. 

Sure, and 2,000 years is plenty of time to have other Marths and Robins enter into and leave Tiki's life.

3 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

That's never stopped people from thinking of Ike as the peasant lord, despite him being the son of Gwain, one of the Four Generals of Daein who would have been noble (either entitled by blood or deed). Plus Anri could still be unrelated to Sigurd, if Marth's mother or grandmother were descendants of Sigurd.

You aren't wrong. However, people tend to think that a link to one is a link to all. 

And people will argue the semantics about Ike's status and such with Greil.

4 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Sure, and 2,000 years is plenty of time to have other Marths and Robins enter into and leave Tiki's life.

Tiki is a very honest woman. If she made any indication that there were others that made an impact on her like that, she'd have mentioned it. Tiki has only ever made mention to Marth if anything.

It's a pretty good support, well written and I like it.

I find it funny that Robin's dorky side is in full effect during these supports. He's trying to play it cool but it seems obvious throughout that he's crushing on her. I actually cringe a bit whenever I read his lines.

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Gonna parrot omegaxis1 a little here. While there is the possibility that she has found other "Marths and Robins" in her life, she pretty much has spent her time either sleeping through those 2000 years or being worshiped as a divine being. Not much opportunity to make friends there. Look at how Say'ri treats Tiki and she's a close friend of hers. I imagine it was even worse from people who weren't close to her.

There is also I line she can say to Morgan where she expresses surprise that she even could have a child. Seems to me like she hasn't found much love in her life, if at all (yes, love doesn't mean you need to have babies but it sure as heck does in Fire Emblem).

30 minutes ago, Slyfox said:

(yes, love doesn't mean you need to have babies but it sure as heck does in Fire Emblem).

What about Pent and Louise (at least in FE7), or Harken and Isadora, or Midia and Astram? Or even Marth and Caeda? None of those pairing produced children in those games.