So I just started playing FE 4 any tips?

Ottservia

I've heard a lot about this game so I decided to try it out cause I got bored. One of the things I've heard is that a guide is very much necessary for one to enjoy this game so any and all tips or tricks are greatly appreciated

I'm not the biggest FE4 expert but here's some things.

1.- 1 more AS means you double. Also weight is taken directly from your speed.

2.- Watch Mekkah pitfalls 4

3.- You need pursuit sill to double, if you don't have it then you don't double. Unless you have other skills.

4.- The only way to trade items is by either handing down from families or having someone sell in a castle to the pawnshop then another unit goes to thecastle town and buys it from the pawnshop but at a higher price

5.- Cavaliers are best. Roads increase your movement, basically each road tile costs you 0.75 movement, from what I calculate.

6.- Villages burn down in 10 turns after starting to get ransacked. But the sooner you get there the higher the reward (for money atleast I dont kno about other things)

7.- Ayra is good but because of Astra. She is fast too so there's that. 

8.- Arden sucks but take him out of the castle in prologue, no enemies threaten you in the prologue so if you want give him a few kills or ust to do something helpful.

9.- Lovers like Ethlyn X Cuan can give all their gold to their significant other.

10.- Swords are light and accurate although not so powerful but they are really good. Weight balance in this game is kinda weird. Also for negative numbers in weight I think you need to have more so if Enemy AS= -3 but yours is -2 you double if you have pursuit.

I haven't played the game yet myself, but I've absorbed enough advice reading stuff on here that I can offer some of the more general tips to start.

First, special secret events exist, all of which SF has listed here. Some really nice stuff from it. Non-secret events you'll see listed in the menus if you check SF also has a list of.

Second, there are two generations as you are well aware. If you don't pair a woman off by the end of Chapter 5, you'll get substitute kids later. There is no way to see how many Love Points a couple has exactly, thought the fortune teller can give you a rough idea. There is no way to block a marriage you don't want if it hits 500 LP. Generally, badly-made pairings outweigh no pairings.

Fortunately, it seems most kids aren't "screwable". Ayra is pretty fine with any man, Sylvia the same but for different reasons, Erinys/Fury is almost the same as Ayra. Brigid and Edain likes someone with Pursuit for one their kids (and Bows for Edain, Swords for Brigid), Lachesis also likes a husband with Pursuit. The one mother whose kids are doubly screwable are Tailtiu's, she wants Azelle or Lewyn for a husband, followed by Lex or Claude, anyone else is bad.

The "optional" pairings are:

Spoiler

Ayra: Any man really works with her as I said. I can't say there is a single best, but Lex, Chulainn/Fury, and Naoise/Noishe are popular.

Sylvia: Claude and Lewyn are the best. Lex, or Dew or Azelle perhaps are third place. But really, another third place contender is killing Silvia for the Substitutes.

Erinys/Fury: Lewyn is canonical to Thracia 776, and super-easy as long as Lewyn doesn't spend too many turns next to Silvia, since there is an auto-marriage event for this duo. Claude and Azelle are also real good for both kids. Any other pairing won't be so good for Ced, but 29 Res-targeting Atk at minimum seems to be good enough from what I sense.

Brigid: Holyn/Chulainn helps both of Brigid's kids a lot, so he is generally the one that gets talked about. Jamke and Dew are others I hear mentioned, but aren't so great.

Edain: There is no father that helps both kids, one wants Claude, the other who is more screwable, wants Midir or Jamke ideally, or just some physical dad with Pursuit.

Lachesis: Beowolf is generally the best I think, Azelle is apparently quite fun too. Finn did make Nanna in Thracia 776 canon, although it seems Beowolf is Diarmuid's father- this isn't an incredible pairing in FE4.

Tailtiu: As I said before, Lewyn or Azelle are the best. Lex and Claude are runners up, everyone else is junk.

Also, you get some fixed units in the 2nd Gen, and they can carry the day if need be. Since 2nd Gen units can inherit items and weapons they can use at base from the 1st Gen, Sigurd generally likes having one of the Leg or Knight Rings to pass to Seliph speed things up a little. Whichever of these two rings you don't give to Sigurd are good on a paired Silvia. Give the Pursuit (aka Followup in FEH) Ring to Ethlyn if you don't think someone else will need it, it'd make training Leif to promotion easier.

On the topic of weapons, weapon ranks are fixed- they can never increase for a unit, save on promotion (which requires level 20 or higher to happen). Also, weapons and staffs are infinitely repairable for a Gold cost. Any weapon that has killed 50 enemies gains the ability to perform Critical Hits and every subsequent kill up to the 100th will add one Crit, for a max of 50 Crit. Without a weapon with Critical or the skill innately on a character, a character cannot Crit most of the time.

Critical Hits in FE4 are not 3x damage, they instead double the user's Atk. So to speak of FEH, it's like Draconic Aura, not Glimmer. Hitting a weakness, like using a Bow against a Flier, is counted as an automatic Critical Hit in this game as opposed to the usual 3x Mt on the weapon, which is why Nihil/Awareness protects against Flier weaknesses in this game- it nulls all Criticals.

The one exception to the weapon/skill Crit thing- any character that is adjacent to their sibling or lover gains 20 Crit.

This should be a good deal of useful information. Although it might be a bit excessive in some regards.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Ayra can be easy to miss and difficult to obtain.  When you come upon her, you'll want to have everyone but Sigurd steer clear of her.

The objectively best weapons in the game are the lightest ones.  Every anima magic type has a few "tiers" of tomes (e.g. Elwind and Elfire, Fire and Thunder, etc.).  Each "tier", the weapons have the exact same might and hit, but because wind magic is always the lightest (always a weight of 2 compared to thunder's 7 and fire's 12) it's automatically the best type due to higher attack speed and just all around better battle stats as a result.  And swords are the best weapons because axes are unwieldy pieces of crap and lances are rigid.

Also easy to ignore infantry in favor of mounted units because of ridiculous map sizes.  That being said, Sigurd could literally solo all the chapters he appears in, so it's not a particularly big deal if you do this.  Just watch yourself if you want to actually use anyone else.

Doubling skills organized by most to least useful are as follows: Pursuit > Continue > Astra > Charge.  Pursuit always procs as long as attack speed is higher than the enemy's.  Continue gives the unit a percentage chance (attack speed + 20%) to hit the enemy twice on their turn in combat, meaning they will strike twice before the enemy does (or after if Pursuit proc'd/it's enemy phase - yes, there's a chance your unit will hit the enemy four times).  Astra is sword-exclusive, and kind of overkill.  Charge sucks because often times you might not want your unit to continue combat; it gives you a percentage chance ([your attack speed - enemy's attack speed] + [your HP/2]%) of immediately instigating another round of combat, which is very bad if you're fighting an enemy that could potentially deal a lethal blow to your unit in one round of combat (like Chapter 10's both, with a 70 attack stat that very likely will kill anyone that isn't Seliph, Ares, a cleric, or someone with Blaggi holy blood).

Speaking of holy blood, those with it are typically the best units.  The exceptions to this are Finn, the archers, Beowulf, and a few of the 2nd Gen substitutes (which you get if some of the women in the 1st Generation weren't married by the end of Chapter 5; I'd recommend against leaving women unmarried in this case for your first playthrough because most subs suck and can't inherit weapons and items from 1st Gen).  When looking at the unit window, try pressing a few buttons (can't remember the button atm, it's kind of muscle memory for me), and you'll get a chart showing what kind of holy blood a unit has and how strong it is (glowing for minor, flashing for major).

And I'd say use the Project Naga patch.  It's just the best translation out there.  If you aren't already using it, you'd need the original Japanese ROM.  What type doesn't matter, just make sure it doesn't have any patches applied to it because otherwise the game will be unplayable if you try to apply another patch.

Anything else I can say was probably already covered.  Else, I'll just say do things your way and don't let anyone tell you how best to play the game.  If you're confused about pairings, the game will kind of make some decent pairings happen for you via available conversations and natural love growths.  If you take 50 turns or close to that with every chapter, you'll very likely end up with every woman married.

I've only played fe4 twice or so, but some mechanics that are easy to miss:

- The maps in this game require you to capture multiple castles. Losing your starting castle results in a game over, while losing others means you lose some of the gold you'd otherwise get.

- Units can only promote once they reach lvl 20, at which point you need them to go to your home castle to promote there. Levels also don't reset upon promotion, but the level cap is now 30 (unpromoted units can also level to 30).

- Weapon weight is always substracted from a units speed, since there is no con in this game.

- Depending on what kind of player you are, you might want to use a pairing guide and/or event guide. The game is easily clearable without doing that, but you can get a lot of nice bonusses from them. In terms of pairing, the only thing I'd say matters a great deal is making sure Lewin gets a kid that can use wind magic (so pair him with either Fury or Tailtiu), because otherwise you can't use the best tome in the game in gen 2.

- Units in gen 2 start with their parents inventory, so give whoever you paired up nice stuff.

14 hours ago, Ottservia said:

I've heard a lot about this game so I decided to try it out cause I got bored. One of the things I've heard is that a guide is very much necessary for one to enjoy this game so any and all tips or tricks are greatly appreciated

seasoned player of Genealogy here.

despite what some people will say, i guarantee you that a guide isn't really necessary, unless you want to explore the secret stuff hidden in the game.

the basics, however, are indeed necessary in order to know how to play properly and enjoy the game to its fullest.

the game can be played quite easily as long as you don't rush and have the patience to deal with the huge maps( 1 map in Genealogy is basicly like 3~4 traditional chapters maps put together ).

if it's your very first time, it would be wise to give a look at the skills section of Serenes in order to get a general idea of how each unit works: https://serenesforest.net/genealogy-of-the-holy-war/miscellaneous/skills/

some other basic tips are:

- Pursuit allows 2 hits if your speed is high enough, while Hero weapons deal 2 hits as well. when used together, you can deal up to 4 hits. there's no passive double attack based on speed, since there's specific skills for double/triple/multiple hits( influenced by the Speed stat );

- when a weapon reaches 50 kills, it unlocks its critical chance( influenced by the Skill stat ). there's no passive critical chance, unless your unit has the Critical skill on his/her build, or on his/her weapon( always influenced by the Skill stat );

- nearby brothers/sisters and lovers can sometimes activate a critical attack while standing next to each other due to either Holy Blood resonance, or Love resonance;

- dancers can restore turns up to 4 units at once, as long as they're all close to the dancer;

- horseback/flying units can move again after attacking, as long as there's still movement tiles left;

- there's specific conversations that can be obtained throu the game everytime a chapter starts, after a castle gets conquered, or when a unit becomes your ally. it would be wise to let people talk to each other, since some of these conversations not only offer background stories, but also permanent stats boosts and items.

overall, if you don't mind the length of the game and don't plan to do only a single run, it would be best to play the game as it is the first time around in order to learn all the mechanics and features that Genealogy has to offer.

after that, you can always play it again to find all the secret stuff and eventually try out new characters builds and pairings for different stories backgrounds.

on a side note: in terms of 1st generation builds and items inheritance, you can also check this topic to get an idea about pros and cons of the units listed there.

it's spoiler-free in terms of story, however if you want to find out on your own how each unit will evolve after promotion, you may want to check it after you're done with the first part of the game( basicly after chapter 5 ):