Reggie Fils-Aime to retire from NOA President

Jedi

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190221005804/en/Nintendo-America’s-Reggie-Fils-Aime-Retire-Doug-Bowser/

The transition will be on April 15th, and he will be replaced by Doug Bowser

After more than 15 notable years at Nintendo of America, and nearly 13 as its President and COO, Reggie Fils-Aime will retire. His last day with Nintendo will be April 15. Doug Bowser, NOA’s current Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing, will then succeed Reggie as President of Nintendo of America.

“I really appreciate everything Reggie has done for Nintendo,” said Shuntaro Furukawa, President of Nintendo Co., Ltd. “Inside and outside our company, Reggie is known as an exceptional leader. We are grateful that he is leaving the business in good shape with strong momentum. While we will miss him and we wish him the very best in his retirement, we are also pleased to have such an able successor ready to step into that role. Doug Bowser and the rest of the team will ensure a seamless transition and continued momentum for Nintendo.”

“Nintendo owns a part of my heart forever,” Fils-Aime said. “It’s a part that is filled with gratitude – for the incredibly talented people I’ve worked with, for the opportunity to represent such a wonderful brand, and most of all, to feel like a member of the world’s most positive and enduring gamer community. As I look forward to departing in both good health and good humor, this is not ‘game over’ for me, but instead ‘leveling up’ to more time with my wife, family and friends.”

Edited by Jedi

I saw a vague tweet on my timeline of how someone was missing Reggie already and I was so freaking scared that he died or something, but then I was relieved to hear that he's just retiring. I was only a little sad until I watched that good bye video and had tears streaming down my face.

Luckily it's just bittersweet crying and not crying in full-blown despair like when Iwata died.

Good luck with everything, Reggie! Everyone's going to miss you ;u;

Aw, I liked Reggie! I mean, he made the famous phrase "my body is ready" lol And Frederick used it to reference him in FE Awakening! <3

But you gotta throw the towel in at some point. Reggie probably feels he's getting too old for the job.

But as Dcat said, funny that the replacement guy's name is Bowser. lol

Edited by Anacybele

A couple years ago, when Doug Bowser was made VP, me and the other Bowser mains would joke that we've set our sights beyond the mushroom kingdom to Nintendo of America.

I'm certainly glad Reggie is retiring, and isn't fired due to some criminal allegations or, you know, dead. Seems a little young to be retiring if you ask me, but maybe when you're in such a high position in the business world you can just afford to do that whenever and he was just waiting for Nintendo branded products to get back to a point where they pretty much sell themselves. I wish him the best. We don't get too many charismatic faces in the video game industry, and when we do it's typically game developers/directors. So Reggie is going to be a hard act to follow.

Folks have to retire at some point, and it really sounds like Reggie is leaving in good faith.  Certainly one of the more charming executives in gaming, among a sea of EAs, Ubisofts, and Activisions.  Definitely will be missed, but at least it won't be a bitter departure.

19 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

He’s leaving while Nintendo is at it’s new peak. The timing is interesting.

I'd say maybe he felt this as a comfortable time to leave.  Since Nintendo is doing so well, he's not leaving it in shambles like a pirate on a sinking ship; maybe it needed to be this way for him to feel content with retiring.  Not quite like when, say, Hideo Kojima left Konami as they were getting worse and worse, culminating to them shutting down Silent Hill and creating the abomination that is Metal Gear Survive.  Though that case felt more like Kojima was justified.

I'M NOT REGGIE FOR THIS

Nah, but seriously I wish him the best. Reggie is a great man, and he should get the rest and time with his family that he deserves. With him leaving, it really feels like the end of an era. The true end of the Iwatta era of Nintendo. It's always sad when something like that ends, a time where Nintendo was off-the-walls, and seemed to have fun even when it was utterly failing with the Wii U. But an end always offers the potential for new beginnings, and great things. Mr. Bowser has big shoes to fill, and I hope that he can properly do so, even if I don't think he has quite the screen presence that Reggie does.

Oh my lord, this is how Nintendo introduced Mr. Bowser.

The Mario bros. all tied up, and all the other plushies are Bowser's minions and Bowser Jr.

Reggie, are you sure Nintendo isn't gonna become Bowser Inc. when the dust finally settles?

Well I am sad to here I won't see Reggie on NoA stuff anymore, but at least he is leaving on a high note and hopefully he will get to relax and have some fun.

Sad to see him go but I am glad it seems to be on a good standing. I also like that he gave an actual official message to the fans, shows just how involved he was.

I hope the Nintendo fans dont give Bowser too hard a time, I know changes like this tend to get met with some aggressiveness from the fans, so hopefully it goes over well.

42 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

I don't think he has quite the screen presence that Reggie does.

20 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Oh my lord, this is how Nintendo introduced Mr. Bowser.

The Mario bros. all tied up, and all the other plushies are Bowser's minions and Bowser Jr.

Reggie, are you sure Nintendo isn't gonna become Bowser Inc. when the dust finally settles?

I lied, he's going to do great.

What a minute. If Reggie leaves, does that mean Doug Bowser will be the new face of the Nintendo Hype Train?

In all seriousness though, I am actually kind of sad to see Reggie go. I have always played Nintendo games throughout my life, starting with my trusty GBA back when I was child, so Reggie was around back when I didn't even know it. Though, I am glad that I was able to listen to him talk about the latest Nintendo products and games before he retired. I always associated his happy attitude and demeanor with Nintendo itself in a way. It is sad to see him leave, but I am sure Doug Bowser will do a great job!

Can we all agree that we need to refer to him as Dougie Bowser? Just please, I need to do this.

All that aside, we say farewell to the face of Nintendo who wouldn't bother to announce Mother 3. I mean, when that's the blackest mark on your career (Unless someone has a more serious one) there has to have been something right. I have to say he's been a good representative for the Maison de Mario, though 13 years was something of a surprise. I expect he's not going to be out of work for all that long personally. May our bodies be ready for the Bowser welcome.

I'll miss him, glad to see he's leaving the company in good shape. It was always nice to see him in any of his public appearances, especially at E3 when they were using a different animation style.

It's a little sad to see someone who was really passionate about what he sold, what he did at his company, and he played the games they put out and knew his community well. He'll be missed.

47 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Can we all agree that we need to refer to him as Doogie Bowser?

*Italics mine*

By all means, I'm okay with that. Are you sure your name isn't Barney Stinson tho

All kidding aside, here's to hoping he gets the retirement he deserves.

Edited by Karimlan

... so Mother 3 will finally get localized, right?

Seriously, though, he will be missed. As much as he might have been a stiff every now and then, he seemed to genuinely enjoy his position, and him being a gamer made him seem more relatable.

Now that Bowser is in charge, I hope we address the easily breakable brick floors and bridges that can be felled with a single axe swing.