Possibility of Real-Time-Strategy Elements coming to Fire Emblem

BriForABri

Fire Emblem RTS?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want Fire Emblem to adopt elements of Real-Time Strategy?

• Yes
    • No

Fire Emblem is a game series that I instantly grew fond of for its story and characters, but the gameplay is something that I have always loved since I first starting playing the games. Since its origins, it has been known for its interesting system of Turn-Based Strategy; a system that I find very interesting. It can be found in every main installment in the franchise and will most likely be included in Three Houses. But one thing I have always entertained in my mind is this: Would it be a good idea for Fire Emblem to shift to RTS? What would it be like?

On paper, it honestly makes sense. In real-world battles, the pace in which people attack, fight, and create battle strategies is very fast-paced. One wrong decision can result in massive losses. On a battlefield, the enemy isn't going to wait five minutes for you to make a move. They are going to follow their own orders and won't give a single crap about your plans and strategies. I know taking turns to accomplish a strategy is like Chess (a game I already love), but I think Fire Emblem could really benefit itself in a variety of ways if it went down the RTS route.

Realism aside, I think the gameplay would (obviously) the biggest aspect affected by RTS. In my opinion, the Fire Emblem world got a small taste of RTS when Fire Emblem Warriors released. And it was one of my favorites parts of the game. When I first got it, I thought it was just going to be a Fire Emblem version of Hyrule Warriors. And, to be fair, it mostly is. However, I LOVED the ability to sent specific units to intercept and attack other charging forces. I think this aspect could work so well in a mainstream Fire Emblem game! Give us a new-fleshed out story with new characters and maps, and this aspect could be so interesting! And if they ever bring back Tactic Rankings, they could tie it into your performance with the RTS aspects! I almost want to see some of the strategy elements present in games like Valkyria Chronicles make their way in as well. Though, dissimilar to Valkyria Chronicles, I believe the top-down viewpoint of the player should remain intact.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Turn-Based Strategy style of gameplay Fire Emblem has going right now. If Intelligent Systems wants to continue making the games in this fashion, I would have no complaints. But what do you all think about the possibility of a Fire Emblem game with Real-Time Strategy? Share your thoughts and I have a poll up with this very topic in mind!

Edited by FE_McFly

I'll have to go with yes and no. I think it would be neat to see, but I would rather main series Fire Emblem stick to the turn-based system. That's more or less one of the things that defines what Fire Emblem is, at least to me. If there was a spinoff game with full real-time strategy, that would be fine since Warriors is probably the closest we're gonna get to an RTS Fire Emblem game for right now.

Speaking of Warriors, sequel when?

I prefer how it is. I have never been super good in refelx and quick action games so I loved RPGs for that. Of course other RPgs are different, but I mean most.

The big issue with RTS and FE is perma-death.

I would keep the main series as is, but I wouldn't mind an RTS spinoff. It could be very exciting seeing FE this way, although I haven't played FEW and can't say how close to that ideal it is.

Also, in case you weren't aware, an RTS FE was in the works, but got canceled.

https://serenesforest.net/2015/12/27/making-of-fire-emblem-the-illusive-wii-fire-emblem/#more-30892

Yeah, gonna roll with the RTS spin-off idea everyone's saying.

A game should not deviate from their genre unless there's a substantial call for change.  Especially strategy games, as the fans are much more finicky about how it plays than fans of other genres.

FE is a game that has been turn-based since the dawn of its creation, and not many have said its turn-based strategy combat is outdated or should be changed.  It's the equivalent of what happened with Valkyria: Azure Revolution (spin-off of Valkyria Chronicles) being more of an action game than a strategy game, or Metal Gear Survive, where they substantially deviated from Metal Gear's traditional aspects of stealth and espionage to try to bring in fans of zombies and survival games.  In both cases, they failed horribly.

i'll join the spin-off train. FE has always followed the traditional turn-based formula since the NES era, so it would be quite weird to see an entire franchise suddenly changing it's core gameplay, especially considering the technical difficulties that come with developing RTS games.

i would rather not see another StarCraft clone, however i would totally love to see a worthy successor to titles such as Final Fantasy Tactics.

I am really actually liking everybody's ideas about the possibility of a spin-off RTS Fire Emblem game! I agree with everyone's thoughts about not Intelligent Systems not changing what they have with the series as well. Honestly, with how popular the series is getting, along with other general things related to the series (i.e. Cipher), it would not be smart to change things up. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

While I may love the system Fire Emblem already has, I would still love to see Intelligent Systems try and make something RTS in the FE universe, though. I feel that with the release of Warriors, Int. Systems may be more willing to dip into the spin-off market, as other major franchises have already. If they are willing to create a Hack-and-Slash, I feel like an RTS would not be out of the question.

On 2/21/2019 at 7:38 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Also, in case you weren't aware, an RTS FE was in the works, but got canceled.

https://serenesforest.net/2015/12/27/making-of-fire-emblem-the-illusive-wii-fire-emblem/#more-30892

P.S. Thank you very much for the link! I appreciate it!

I have to disagree with any changes to the gameplay. Call me a purist (you wouldn't be totally wrong), but I think that a real-time Fire Emblem would be a nightmare to control. I see it as enemies are bombarding you while you're trying to strategically move your units. It would instead become a game of sitting around and tanking unless you wing it, which could be dangerous, and isn't Fire Emblem partially about thinking stuff through as you strategically plan out your attacks? I just believe it'd bee too much of a departure.