Possible canon classes for each character?

Guest FireEmblemAvaikening

Guest FireEmblemAvaikening

What do you think the canon classes might be for the students of the Three Houses, based on the weapon types shown to be used by each student so far, as well as their overall design?

Has Claude been shown to use bows? Because I keep thinking of him as an archer but I’m not sure why.

Caspar/Dorothea- Thief

Petra- Mercenary. Or Priestess if they wield swords again which would be cool.

Edelgard- Berserker or something akin to that

Linhardt- Wyvern Rider

Sylvain Jose Gautier- Pegasus Knight or Cavalier.

1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Has Claude been shown to use bows? Because I keep thinking of him as an archer but I’m not sure why.

Claude has only ever used bows on the trailers we have. It's why people call him the first bow-lord.

22 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Caspar/Dorothea- Thief

Petra- Mercenary. Or Priestess if they wield swords again which would be cool.

Edelgard- Berserker or something akin to that

Linhardt- Wyvern Rider

Sylvain Jose Gautier- Pegasus Knight or Cavalier.

Here's what I think:

Caspar - Assassin

Dorothea - Mage Knight

Petra - Swordmaster

Edelgard - Hero

Linhardt - Bishop

Black Eagles

Edelgard - Canon Personal Class (Infantry Axe + Sword + Healing)

Ferdinand - Lance + Bow Paladin

Dorothea - Sword + Reason Infantry

Caspar - Sword + Fighting Infantry 

Bernadetta - Bow + Lance Infantry 

Linhardt - Reason + Faith Paladin

Petra - Swordmaster

Shady Dude - Reason + Faith Paladin

Blue Lions 

Dimitri - Canon Personal Class(Armour Lance + Sword + Axe)

Mercedes - Sword + Faith Flier

Annette - Bow + Sword Paladin

Sylvain - Lance + Axe Infantry

Ashe - Reason + Faith + Fighting Infantry

Axe Dude - Axe + Bow Armour 

Blue Dude - Swordmaster

Blonde Girl - Lance + Reason Paladin

Golden Deer

Claude - Bow + Lance Flier 

Raphael - Lance + Sword Armour 

Leonie - Reason + Axe Flier

Hilda - Bow + Faith Infantry

Quoting myself from elsewhere, with some updates:

Black Eagles

Edelgard - In the direct we saw Brigand shown off, and later some footage where she looked more Hero-esque. From the first trailer, seems like her innate focuses are Axes and Swords, though both there and in the direct we see her use magic. Maybe the Lords will also have unique promotes (Emperor?). 

Ferdinand - His look and Lance screams Cavalier to me. When sparring at lvl 5 can use Swords, Lances or Axes. At least one's probably a custom focus (axes?). Or if you want a Knight amongst the group he'd be your best bet - plus in later footage he is more armoured up sans mount.

Bernadetta - In the direct she's wielding a Bow, so Adler's resident Archer. She also has access to Lances, similar to the Merchant class from Fates.

Dorothea - Begins wielding a Reason Tome. Later see that she's also Swords focused. A bit of Riding or Flying and she'd make for a good Dark Knight/Flier, but that's something you'd have to custom teach. Maybe we can look forward to the return of Tactician as a class.

Petra - Begins with a Sword, and seems locked on to be the Mercenary of the group. In the shot of her gaining experience, we can see that she seems to have Swords and Authority as her innate focuses.

Linhardt - She [(?) I think, maybe 'he'] has innate focuses in Reason and Faith. In action we see them wielding a healing Faith Tome so I'll assume Priest, with an eventual eye to a general magic wielding Sage type.

Caspar - Seen with an Axe to start, and Fighting weapons later on. I assume these are his innate focuses. A generally mousy design also helps suggest a future as a Thief. (The sprites for Thieves also seem to be wielding Fighting gauntlets, but maybe a pint-sized Brigand option?)

Emo-haired boy - In the direct he's wielding a Reason Tome. In the first trailer his portrait is attached to an Archer. Things change, so we can't say that he has a Bows focus for sure. Later in the direct seems to be very much a Mage/Sorcerer. (Overlaps with Dorothea, making me assume that she'll be different.)

Blue Lions

Dimitri - Lance suggests Cavalier, possibly Knight. Mayhaps the prince will end up a King at some point?

Annette - Her Noble outfit is customised with a belt from her right shoulder to her left waist in the direct. This is the same as Ferdinand and Petra have, and we can see it's connected to their Swords. But a lot of characters have random swords. As the house lacks Mages and an obvious Thief, maybe one of those?

Mercedes - In the first trailer her portrait and name were attached to a Sword wielder (with a generic model). We see that her actual Noble appearance includes a shawl. Suggests more of a Priest or a Mage than a Mercenary to me. Maybe Swords and Faith?

Sylvain - When Ferdinand is sparring with him we can see that at level 4 he has access to only Lances and Axes, despite a sword on his hip. Like Ferdinand, strikes me as a Cavalier. Axes are possibly innate, but come off to me as a custom focus.

Ashe - The Archer. Uniform has a hood, is in cutscene with Annette shooting a bow. (Interestingly, his portrait does pop up in the initial trailer, attached to an Archer. He's an opponent, alongside the Monocle'd Professor, Hilda, and another Golden Deer. At least it seems he's kept his Bow.)

Blonde Girl - Seen in cutscene holding a Lance while talking to Sylvain. While it's possible that it's his Lance, I'm going to take that, plus the stereotype of woman riders, and say that she's the future Pegasus Knight of the group.

White-haired axeman - Huge guy wielding an axe. So... Brigand. His size also suggests Knight to me, as in games past they tend to be large individuals. (I'm assuming that classes will provide different caps, but that all the weapon types will be available depending how you've taught your characters.)

Blue-haired swordsman - Swordmaster. Not just because he's wielding a Sword, but the (for lack of a better term) "Eastern-iness" of his hair. It's hard to see, but he has long hair put up into a bun, with strands loose at the front. This is stereotypical of Myrmidons, who tend to get a bit of an "Eastern flair".

Golden Deer

Claude - Archer. Unique promotion to... Chancellor? Chairman? Taoiseach?

Raphael - Overall design is very reminiscent of previous Knights. Notable that his model includes a Sword on his hip, like others. Maybe just a visual detail.

Leonie - Has an orange sweater/jacket tied around her waste, similar to Ashe's hooded sweater under his uniform, and a-symmetrical sleeves (in that her left arm has a black sleeve, with her right bare), on her right hand she's wearing a shooting glove, and has a bow in a cutscene. The Archer. (Possibly a Thief for the house.)

Hilda - In the original trailer, her name and model are associated with a generic Archer. However, Leonie and Claude wield Bows so... maybe it's the likeness to Mae from SoV, but Hilda strikes me as a Mage? Maybe Bows and Reason? (In the direct (where she half appears behind Leonie and Raphael) I think I can also see a sword on her hip too...)

Glasses-blonde boy - Has a definite magic user look to him to me, though it would be neat to have a rough and tumble character who wore glasses. I might force him into a Brigand or Thief, but probably naturally a Mage or Priest.

Thin-faced boy - In the first trailer, his portrait was attached to a Lance wielder. Character model has a bright red rose pinned to his chest, and his general facial structure and demeanour suggest a haughty, superior type. I'll say that he's the Ferdinand/Sylvain of the Hirsche Klasse, and keeps his Lance as the resident Cavalier.

Two white-haired girls - Not much to say about them, as we really only see the backs of their heads. They might not even be characters, though their inclusion brings us up to eight Golden Deer (matching the magic number of students we know from the Black Eagles and Blue Lions). The one on the left has her hair up in an elaborate braid, reminiscent of some past Pegasus Knights. She seems to be wearing the standard uniform, with a bit of design at the nape of the neck. The other girl has her hair loose, and while not as unkempt at Bernadetta, does suggest a more casual appearance than most of the other Nobles. Maybe a Thief? Her clothing's details are obscured by the dark, so no hints there. My gut says a Mage.

They might just try to nudge us in certain directions depending on what they're "good at" or like dialog, ala SoV which was like "Hey that's where Tobin practiced archery".

24 minutes ago, Jedi said:

They might just try to nudge us in certain directions depending on what they're "good at" or like dialog, ala SoV which was like "Hey that's where Tobin practiced archery".

Their designs are also sorta nudging them too I feel - Bernadetta and Ashe both having hoods scream archer and Raphael's stature screams armour knight, also even to some extent the focus on Petra's legs due to the miniskirt is a trend with past Swordmasters.

If characters have "Natural" Focuses, that will also be a sizeable nudge towards certain promotions.

For example, with Linhardt we see the player setting the character's Goal List. There are two Focuses boxed off (their "Natural" ones) and the option to focus on two others of your choice. Id est, Linhardt will normally have Goals of Reason and Faith, but you can choose to work on different ones instead. We see that their "Natural Focuses" have a boost (blue arrows), so you can stick with Reason and Faith (and have the character grow quickly in their "Natural" path), or change it to say... Faith and Riding, in which case Faith would grow quickly, while you slowly added Riding levels (to unlock promotes that require said levels). This would mean Linhardt could promote to anything, but that an eventual Sage would be much easier and quicker to achieve.

training-6d-j.jpg

In the Japanese direct (above) we see the results of hitting "Yes" that we don't in the English. The Goal List (bottom left) has changed to Faith and Riding [the E in a diamond up top seems to signify that you're having your character work on the Custom, instead of Natural Focuses], but in the Goal List we can still see the up arrow of Faith remains, while Riding doesn't. So the arrows aren't set-able.

We also see a different screen with Dorothea (the Tutoring). Points to note:

• Dorothea's current Goal List is bottom right (and is for Swords and Reason, her "Natural" Focuses per the blue arrows).
  • The blue up arrows are called Strengths. When training that skill, they add +2 exp gained.
  • The down arrow suggests characters will also have Weaknesses. They presumably add -2 exp gained when tutoring.
  • The Index Fingers are (per VincentASM) "Teacher Bonuses" (I'm going to call them "Professor Bonus" instead). They also add +2 exp.
  • The Professor Bonuses are set to Swords, Axes, and Authority.
  • In the Japanese direct, the character has completed an E+ rank increase in Authority, and is almost a D in Swords. Compared to the English, where she has a touch put into Reason and Faith.

training-6b-j.jpg

So, my conjecture on these points.

First, I'm going to speculate that the Professor Bonuses are the result of the Group Task option on the Begin Lessons Plan screen (that we don't get shown off). I think the player has set their group to have a bonus to Swords, Axes and Authority for the benefit of Edelgard, but it's effecting everyone. The Japanese player has taken advantage of this to give a quick boost to Dorothea's Authority and Swords, while the English player has ignored it.

Second, we see that the Goal List doesn't seem to have any effect on the Professor Bonuses, so that's not what it's for. We also saw from the Linhardt screen that it doesn't effect what are Strengths (or Weaknesses, presumably). So I'll say that the Goal List is associated with the Professor Levels we see gain experience when Petra kills someone in the direct (below). I was wondering why the layout for that seemed to have three spots, but only showed Swords and Authority. My speculation is that the Professor Levels exp that one will gain will be the two from the character's Goals List, plus one from whatever weapon is being used. As Petra is wielding a Sword (one of her Goals List's Focuses) it only shows the two due to the overlap. This might also explain why her Sword's Professor Level gets more exp than her Authority. 

Thirdly, while we only see one Weakness, I'll speculate that every character will have two, to match their two Strengths.

Also, and this has far less evidence, but I'll speculate that characters have to have at least a E+ in a weapon's Professor Level before they can actually wield it.

training-4c.jpg

//

How does all this effect promotions? Take Dorothea. She starts with a D in Reason and an E+ in Swords, which are also her Strengths ("Natural Focuses"). She has a Weakness in Faith, and I'd guess probably Heavy Armour as well.

So you start off the first mission as a Noble equipped with a Reason Tome, and maybe a basic Sword. Or at least the ability to trade with Petra or Byleth for a Sword. You can't use either of Bernadetta's Bows if you trade for them though - you're still an E Rank in Bows. Or Caspar's Axe. But you could probably knick Emo-haired boy's Reason Tome. Your Goal List is set to Swords and Reason.

So during that first battle you toss a bunch of Fire, and riposte beautifully. Every time, you get exp in your Professor Levels for Swords and Reason. (A bit more in which ever weapon you actually did damage with).

After the battle, you decide you like this, and so keep her Goals List matching her Strengths, and during tutoring you focus on these Strengths as well. In no time at all, she'll have high ranks in Swords and Reason, and be able to take her exams in Mage'ry or Mercenary'ing. If you go with the former, you'll unlock higher caps for her Reason, the latter for Swords.

Alternatively, you decide you want her to become an Armour Knight with some healing. So after the first battle, you go and change her Goals List to the Custom Focus of Heavy Armour and Faith. During tutoring you shove all your work into these, but they're Weaknesses so it's slow going. In the next battle, you still don't have an E+ in Faith, so you can't wield healing magic yet - you're stuck still tossing Fire around and battering people with a dull blade. But! After each engagement you now get a little bit of exp into Reason/Swords, a little into Faith, and a little into Heavy Armour. And after a while you'll be an E+ in Faith, and now you can use those Tomes and speed up the exp growth. A bit after that, you'll have enough Faith levels to promote into a Priest, and a long slog of slow tutoring later, a Knight. Kind of a bad Knight, because a Knight will probably have low caps in Faith, but a Knight nonetheless! 

You're the man/woman/person! That's dedication right there - so after looking at this I'll give my ideas too.

The finger symbol I agree is probably from a group task, and the group task will most likely have the same effect as a strength for multiple subjects but the kicker will probably be you can only level it up once with this strength and then the +2 to EXP for the subject will disappear, while for an actual strength, which cannot be set, it can be levelled up easier over and over.

So the symbols -  

Blue Up Arrow = A character's strength - adds +2 EXP to each focus' Professor Level upon adding EXP into the chosen subject.

Red Down Arrow = A character's weakness - takes -2 EXP to each focus' Professor Level upon adding EXP into the chosen focus .

Pointing Fingers = Results of a group task, provides a temporary +2 to the focuses of the group task to multiple people for the next time they add EXP into the focuses.

6 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Their designs are also sorta nudging them too I feel - Bernadetta and Ashe both having hoods scream archer and Raphael's stature screams armour knight, also even to some extent the focus on Petra's legs due to the miniskirt is a trend with past Swordmasters.

Yeah that’s fair too. I just hope talking about “canon” classes won’t discourage people having fun with making people whatever they want.

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Yeah that’s fair too. I just hope talking about “canon” classes won’t discourage people having fun with making people whatever they want.

Exactly, no matter how hard it may be, I'm making Mercedes into a Faith wielding Pegasus Knight, and no one can stop me.

27 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Exactly, no matter how hard it may be, I'm making Mercedes into a Faith wielding Pegasus Knight, and no one can stop me.

That sounds spectacular.

I wanna try a run after I do my first to make everyone good at what they're bad at lmao.

8 minutes ago, Jedi said:

That sounds spectacular.

I wanna try a run after I do my first to make everyone good at what they're bad at lmao.

I want to make Raphael into a Pegasus Knight of some kind, get Hilda as a Brigand, Knight Dorothea, Mage Dimitri!

Edited by HappyHawlucha.

34 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I want to make Raphael into a Pegasus Knight of some kind, get Hilda as a Brigand, Knight Dorothea, Mage Dimitri!

Pffffft all of those are great, I hope Dorothea keeps the hat, speaking of I wonder if people can punch while on mounts? 

Edited by Jedi

I'm making Ashe a healer, Annette a cavalier or pegasus knight (maybe wyvern knight if that exists in this game)... If the Lords don't get personal promotions, I'll make Edelgard a hero, Dimitri a paladin, and Claude a sniper. If all the students eventually join anyway and we can reclass them, I want Raphael to be an armor knight if he's not one already by that time. And if we can reclass our PC, I'm making her a mage knight.

26 minutes ago, PrincessAlyson said:

I'm making Ashe a healer, Annette a cavalier or pegasus knight (maybe wyvern knight if that exists in this game)... If the Lords don't get personal promotions, I'll make Edelgard a hero, Dimitri a paladin, and Claude a sniper. If all the students eventually join anyway and we can reclass them, I want Raphael to be an armor knight if he's not one already by that time. And if we can reclass our PC, I'm making her a mage knight.

Speaking of our PC, I wonder how their growth and promotion will work in a game like this? Will we grow by teaching the students? It'd be cool if teaching gave us benefits too.

10 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Speaking of our PC, I wonder how their growth and promotion will work in a game like this? Will we grow by teaching the students? It'd be cool if teaching gave us benefits too.

Assuming that we get more of the cast outside of the school I could totally see his route being a set class promotion from base to promoted. A simple sword class(while being pretty stereotypical of a main character) seems awfully boring though...

1 minute ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Assuming that we get more of the cast outside of the school I could totally see his route being a set class promotion from base to promoted. A simple sword class(while being pretty stereotypical of a main character) seems awfully boring though...

Boring but it works! There's a reason it's a tried and true trope afterall haha. I hope for more too but I won't be too disapointed.

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

Boring but it works! There's a reason it's a tried and true trope afterall haha. I hope for more too but I won't be too disapointed.

Maybe the chainsword has some sort of unique niche to it that will diversify Byleth but Idk