Any worries?

Lord Ice

Yeah plenty of stuff, but I'm still pretty upbeat about the game and looking forward to it all the same. Somethings likely won't be to my liking and where I wish they would go, but it doesn't mean the game or series is doomed.

Just wary of certain things and possibilities: 

• Too much school focus and time spent there overall 
  • Quality of writing overall and the chance for some really cliche stuff with regards to the Church and school
  • Byleth as an avatar looking to be heavily plot relevant and key figure, which so far has not been a positive thing in past games
  • Gameplay quality and potential effects the Teacher Mechanics and possible class switching might impact map and encounter designs as well at overall difficulty/challenge
  • Three House choice and what that might mean for the story at large, how that affects 3 Lord's plot relevance and overall progression of the story depending on each choice 
  • Supports and S-Supports - latter seems inevitable yet slightly problematic given the setting. While the former is in need of some shakeups and changes if they want to continue to have such quantity between all the units without the quality suffering a lot, which bleeds into S-Supports and their general lack of decent development and lead up

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Chopper... said:

Was Phoenix Mode popular? I'm sure it was as criticized as Casual Mode, but did a lot of people use it? If so, I believe it will come back in 3H, since IntSys created the mode in the first place because they realized a lot of people still had a very hard time with Casual Mode, and that it was necessary to give those fans, who really liked the series, the opportunity to play and enjoy it too ❤️. It would be terrible for those fans if they decide to go without it... and also for IntSys in terms of marketing.

I abused Pheonix mode and save file from last chapter to train up units to save their skills, so that I can get it in another playthrough and wont have to go to other people's mycastle to search and buy the skills I want.  

Lol none at all only thing I hope is my S Supports are intact and more advance than ever (ie show what's going on in them that just a portrait slideshow like usual that needs to change already) with no 2nd gens just romance-marriage later Persona style for my guy for more deeper relationship for the pair! and more customization options for my Avatar besides gender which is likely for Boon/Bane, voice, name and birthday maybe a new option not done yet!

Only real worry for me would be going on another info drought yet AGAIN....would not be smart at ALL with just 5 months left till release gotta keep it relevant and start marketing it soon!

- Byleth being another Jesus Christ can never do anything wrong god of gods like Corrin.  Ah it's me Byleth I burned down an orphanage, however it is to show the evils of the empire!  We love you Byleth!

- Pedophilia and incest promoted and normalized like in Fates.

- The models still looking really rough and unattractive could hurt sales, hope the art picks up a lot as well

- The squads and formations being a bad addition or something that doesn't really matter, this is the most exciting thing in the game for me

- Characters reduced to one note anime tropes.  

- Lack of playable beast and/or manakete units.  They are my fav!

- Creepy teacher Byleth banging/marrying his students

- Fan service thrown in our face (look at Camilla's 'big sister' scene)

- Children, unless it is done like Genealogy.  

- Villains who are one dimensional rather than nuanced and deep

- AI being bad, map design being poor, gameplay being busted, etc etc.

13 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

Not really, that's what feedback is for. And IntSys does listen to feedback.

I'll wait for that after I've played the game. I already gave my feedback after playing all the previous ones.

1 hour ago, Lewyn said:

- Byleth being another Jesus Christ can never do anything wrong god of gods like Corrin.  Ah it's me Byleth I burned down an orphanage, however it is to show the evils of the empire!  We love you Byleth!

- Pedophilia and incest promoted and normalized like in Fates.

- The models still looking really rough and unattractive could hurt sales, hope the art picks up a lot as well

- The squads and formations being a bad addition or something that doesn't really matter, this is the most exciting thing in the game for me

- Characters reduced to one note anime tropes.  

- Lack of playable beast and/or manakete units.  They are my fav!

- Creepy teacher Byleth banging/marrying his students

- Fan service thrown in our face (look at Camilla's 'big sister' scene)

- Children, unless it is done like Genealogy.  

- Villains who are one dimensional rather than nuanced and deep

- AI being bad, map design being poor, gameplay being busted, etc etc.

Your such a negative Nancy are you?..........

11 minutes ago, Guest Yt? said:

Your such a negative Nancy are you?..........

I mean isn't this where we list everything we dislike about past fire emblems as well as future disasters yet to come?  I think I got most of what I dislike, however the game is still a ways off so there isn't really much need to worry now.  

6 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Where was that, I'm intrigued  :/

Where Bernadetta moves to attack in the direct (~3:22-3:27).

Like... are we on the top of a giant mountain, with visible sky under the plane of the bridge/rocks... or is that water? I'm not sure.

We see the shadows of clouds moving over Kostas, but also see clouds "below" the plane of the units. So are we amidst the clouds? Or is that a perfect mirror of the sky above?

Looking at it again, when Bernadetta attacks (and it goes into her animation) there's a waterfall behind and to the right of the Thief, so I think it's water.

(Yes, I do think it will be improved for the final game.)

1 hour ago, Guest Lae said:

Lol none at all only thing I hope is my S Supports are intact and more advance than ever (ie show what's going on in them that just a portrait slideshow like usual that needs to change already) with no 2nd gens just romance-marriage later Persona style for my guy for more deeper relationship for the pair! and more customization options for my Avatar besides gender which is likely for Boon/Bane, voice, name and birthday maybe a new option not done yet!

Only real worry for me would be going on another info drought yet AGAIN....would not be smart at ALL with just 5 months left till release gotta keep it relevant and start marketing it soon!

Agree with the first part if we get some cool scenes in supports it might be relegated to our Avatar only and I'm not talking about only confession scenes either since it could be demanding outside of that which is fine and those customization options are pretty much a given to happen. The second part is definitely my biggest worry. I really hope we don't go three times in a row with this at the very least small snippets of new details within the coming months and not going with a "last minute thing", but they should know this game needs as much attention with the remaining time they got.

1 hour ago, Chopper... said:

Not really, that's what feedback is for. And IntSys does listen to feedback.

Feedback in the appropriate manner (as in, NOT THIS FORUM, WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK ANY COMPANY WOULD GIVE TWO FIGS ABOUT US?).

For absolute backlash, it's usually reflected in multiple places, and I wouldn't be surprised if it took a gaming publication's story or two before something happened.

In other words, be realistic about this.

47 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

I mean isn't this where we list everything we dislike about past fire emblems as well as future disasters yet to come?  I think I got most of what I dislike, however the game is still a ways off so there isn't really much need to worry now.  

Have you considered something like The Banner Saga?  You seem to have a huge problem with a bunch of tropes that are present in Japanese media, and if you're that unhappy, then I think you'd be better off looking for something that does make you happy.  Instead of making us mods do work and all.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Have you considered something like The Banner Saga?  You seem to have a huge problem with a bunch of tropes that are present in Japanese media, and if you're that unhappy, then I think you'd be better off looking for something that does make you happy.  Instead of making us mods do work and all.

I'm actually a pretty big anime fan.  There is a lot of masterful wonderful storytelling and interesting/unique themes in them.  Just certain overdone cliches get on my nerves.  I'm sorry if I am making you do more work, I didn't realize there was anything offensive about my post.

2 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

I'm actually a pretty big anime fan.  There is a lot of masterful wonderful storytelling and interesting/unique themes in them.  Just certain overdone cliches get on my nerves.  I'm sorry if I am making you do more work, I didn't realize there was anything offensive about my post.

Hyperbole and hate are two of the things that make topics unpleasant.

But if you hate those cliches to the point where you're willing to make a multi-point bullet list about it, it's time to step back and see if you're in the right place.  Those tropes aren't going to change overnight, so chances are, you're bound to hit some of your sour notes.  I've learned that life's too short to pursue things that I know I'll dislike.

I'm not a huge fan of the school setting, but I'll wait and see how the game pans out.  Maybe I'll change my mind, depending on how it's presented.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

Feedback in the appropriate manner (as in, NOT THIS FORUM, WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK ANY COMPANY WOULD GIVE TWO FIGS ABOUT US?).

For absolute backlash, it's usually reflected in multiple places, and I wouldn't be surprised if it took a gaming publication's story or two before something happened.

I never implied this forum served as feedback. When I mentioned "feedback", I meant it in the literal sense of the word, and it was in answer to @Jave saying there was no point in being worried about the game. In this context, what I wanted to explain was that there is a point to voicing your opinions, I never said that doing it here made any difference whatsoever.

In regards to backlash, I didn't say I agreed with it in any way. I mean, just look at what game from the series I have listed as my favorite: Fates. It makes me unhappy whenever I read someone saying terrible things about a game I love, which is all the time, so I don't think it's good nor do I want to encourage it in any way. Also, and just in case I'm being added into the mix, all I did was say I don't want to be a teacher because I find that stressful, and that I was worried there would be no beast units because they're my favorite, but that it would be okay if there ended up not being any.

And, no, I don't believe IntSys makes it a point to read my posts. I just like conversing about the games I love.

17 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

I never implied this forum served as feedback. When I mentioned "feedback", I meant it in the literal sense of the word, and it was in answer to @Jave saying there was no point in being worried about the game. In this context, what I wanted to explain was that there is a point to voicing your opinions, I never said that doing it here made any difference whatsoever.

Voicing my opinions is something I can't do until I actually play the game. I'm going to buy the game anyway (and I'm sure that's the case for everyone here), so what's the point of worrying now? It does nothing but raise my level of stress over something completely insignificant.

1 minute ago, Jave said:

Voicing my opinions is something I can't do until I actually play the game. I'm going to buy the game anyway (and I'm sure that's the case for everyone here), so what's the point of worrying now? It does nothing but raise my level of stress over something completely insignificant.

Yeah, I got that. It's a valid point.

I like worrying and hoping, on my part. Or it's more like I can't help it.

14 hours ago, eclipse said:

Hyperbole and hate are two of the things that make topics unpleasant.

But if you hate those cliches to the point where you're willing to make a multi-point bullet list about it, it's time to step back and see if you're in the right place.  Those tropes aren't going to change overnight, so chances are, you're bound to hit some of your sour notes.  I've learned that life's too short to pursue things that I know I'll dislike.

I'm not a huge fan of the school setting, but I'll wait and see how the game pans out.  Maybe I'll change my mind, depending on how it's presented.

Despite my dramatics, I have loved each and every Fire Emblem game.  I played all 3 Fates games.  So even though I dislike certain aspects of some of the game, doesn't mean that the overall experience wasn't incredibly enjoyable.  Like if this game was going to be a school harem and that's it, cause it is Fire Emblem I would love it still.  So despite my harping on the negatives, it is only cause I love the series so so much.  

9 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Despite my dramatics, I have loved each and every Fire Emblem game.  I played all 3 Fates games.  So even though I dislike certain aspects of some of the game, doesn't mean that the overall experience wasn't incredibly enjoyable.  Like if this game was going to be a school harem and that's it, cause it is Fire Emblem I would love it still.  So despite my harping on the negatives, it is only cause I love the series so so much.  

You don't show love by spouting hate.  Or harping on the things you hate about something you claim to love.  That's a dysfunctional relationship.

I worry that the world will be boring. In many cases, the only nonhuman creatures that exists are dragons and creatures spawned from dragons. Sometimes, I forget that Fire emblem is a fantasy game when the only supernatural things are weapons and the final boss. Of course, there are the wyverns and the flying horses, but those things been around since day one, it's time for an experimental change of some kind, like with what they did with Kinshi Knights from Birthright. 

I'm just hoping that the world of Three Houses will have something that is out of this world or even wacky, such as talking animals, fairies, or ect. Battling a Fire Emblem version of Sun Wukong sounds so badass to me. Throw in some demi gods, elves, orcs, or something.  Hell, I'd take creative, insetient wildlife as enemies and call that a world that is more than just "Hero vs Dragons". 

Guest Edelgard for Smash
16 hours ago, Lewyn said:

If anything this game will be too tame. I don’t think S supports are in this game.

Guest Ziegenpeter

A bit surprised that so many people are worried about the school part. I mean yeah, I guess some people rightfully connect school settings in japanese media with very annoying tropes, but so far, I don't really see Three Houses going in that direction. In general, Three Houses appears to be pretty tame so far judging by the character designs at least. Also I think that the tutoring stuff finally gives character building and reclassing a very nice context. That's way better than the dry "Here is a magic item, now you can transform!!" we've had in previous games.

My biggest worries are gameplay related. I don't really care that much about whether the plot will deliver or not as this stuff has never been really good in the majority of FE games and I wouldn't be surprised if TH continues this tradition (Like they aren't even remotely sublte with the "Church of Seiros is actually bad" stuff), but I love this franchise mainly because of the strategic gameplay.

So my hopes: advanced AI that actually acts smart instead of either blindly charging towards you or standing around until you can bait them to you, good map design, varied objectives (come on, the school seems to be the hub, so a defend mission where you have to keep brigands away from trying to lay siege to the school at night would be a perfect setting), varied magic options (specially stuff like Teleport and Berserk) etc. I hope they finally show more of the actual strategic gameplay in the next trailer.

Besides that, I hope they polish the visuals a bit more. Like come on IntSys, the Switch can do way better than that.

But other than that, I'm quite content.

I've seen folks suggest Three Houses is "just a school game", and I find it interesting. Maybe we could categorize and judge other fire emblem games based on just the plot outline of the first few chapters. 

• Fire Emblem 7 is the most hand holdy garbage I've ever seen. This tutorial just never ends and I hate that it takes control from me every turn. Also what's with this Lyn girl being some orphan from the mountains who's actually the heir to a prominent noble house? This magic pixie dream girl stretches my suspension of disbelief way too far. 
  • Eirika is a benevolent ruler who wouldn't harm a fly. Except when it comes to mopping up brigands because of course when your game is called Fire Emblem. Also is that bracelet really worth killing over? 
  • "Path of Radiance is just a game about some backwood mercenaries. There's probably no sense of scale or world building because we're not dealing with any royalty or Lord, and I imagine the game will have a lot of filler missions where the group take on odd jobs for money. Eliwood didn't have to make a living, his father was missing, and that gave the game a nice sense of urgency. I'd rather this new daddy be removed from the plot"
  • "Awakening is a straight faced parody of previous Fire Emblem games with characters wearing their series-wide tropes on their sleeve. The only new character in the equation is a guy wearing a hoody. The Marth subplot also feels forced, did Marth need another game? Go steal the spotlight of some other game, and take off that dumb mask!"
  • Fates is a game that bends over backwards to assure you that your little sister is marrying age and there's no evil force on the Hoshidan side making the choice seem pretty ethically obvious. Also of course the mom character was introduced just to get fridged in the next scene.

21 hours ago, Guest Ziegenpeter said:

A bit surprised that so many people are worried about the school part. I mean yeah, I guess some people rightfully connect school settings in japanese media with very annoying tropes, but so far, I don't really see Three Houses going in that direction. In general, Three Houses appears to be pretty tame so far judging by the character designs at least. Also I think that the tutoring stuff finally gives character building and reclassing a very nice context. That's way better than the dry "Here is a magic item, now you can transform!!" we've had in previous games.

My biggest worries are gameplay related. I don't really care that much about whether the plot will deliver or not as this stuff has never been really good in the majority of FE games and I wouldn't be surprised if TH continues this tradition (Like they aren't even remotely sublte with the "Church of Seiros is actually bad" stuff), but I love this franchise mainly because of the strategic gameplay.

So my hopes: advanced AI that actually acts smart instead of either blindly charging towards you or standing around until you can bait them to you, good map design, varied objectives (come on, the school seems to be the hub, so a defend mission where you have to keep brigands away from trying to lay siege to the school at night would be a perfect setting), varied magic options (specially stuff like Teleport and Berserk) etc. I hope they finally show more of the actual strategic gameplay in the next trailer.

Besides that, I hope they polish the visuals a bit more. Like come on IntSys, the Switch can do way better than that.

But other than that, I'm quite content.

I agree with you 110%! 

Actual strategic placements on the AI would really force the players to consider ALL possiblities and not just ones based on the predictable movements of the cpu. I just wonder how possible it is to pull that off, without having the cpu turtle. 

So far, the only thing that effects difficulty in most maps are handicaps, raw stats, and numbers, more likely in the cpu's favor, but as epic as it may sound to have an enemy team that is equal to the player in strength while making overly complicated movements may be a bit out of any developer's league for right now... 

This also leads me to dreaming about making attack moves and effect that is more than just one v one more accessible. Sorta like an aoe thing, but with tomes and not mounted weapons. 

ANOTHER worry I have is enemy-only weapons. Like come on, PLEASE don't make the cool stuff exclusive. ?

@Glennstavos I for one appreciate changes in the culture/atmospheres in fire emblem games. Like you said, the little we did see should not be the basis of a negative opinion in the plot. Being a school of warriors that studies combat could be a nice change of pace from the typical lord versus bad lord thing. 

Although, the setting being a schoolike culture gives me yet another worry, the lack of older warriors and an army of pretty boys and lolis. I could only deal with the young, handsome male/ pretty chick kicking butt for a short while before I want a character that could be looked at as a threatening presence on the battle feild and no, not the Flash Thompson kid who'd probably bully a poor fellow out of his lunch money. I mean the grown, battle hardened individual who had been through some things. I basically would LOVE a character that kind of looks like a villain you'd see in the enemy army and considering that the three houses might indeed be enemies, I have my hopes up just a bit. 

(Although, if I'm being honest, I barely even watched/paid attention to the trailers) 

Edited by Martin

Of course my final opinion will come when I am playing the game. However....I can not help but have a few uneasy Feelings about the game :

- As a newbie I do not want to get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of Options I have to build my People. I get that this fleshes out the aspects of War , but still.....These amount of Options could turn away a new(er) Player.

- The School Setting itself is fine for me , but I do not want to spent over 50% of my time Managing Lessons or micro Managing every single Thing (Setting study Goals ; preparing exams ; etc...). Was not the battle itself the real meat of the Fire Emblem Games ? I hope they will find the right Balance to that.

- Say what you want , but I hope These "Formations" do not Play a Major role in the battle. -> But I Need to see more gameplay footage of this mechanic.

- Maybe "teacher" Byleth has only platonic relationships with her/his students ? You know...like in FE 8 Duessel with Amelia. -> I can not really imagine a "teacher" x Student romance , especially in the western audience. I do not think that IS goes all the way (not without bumping the Rating up to an "M" Rating).

- Please no inclusion of a "Milas Turnwheel" or a similar Mechanic. In the new Trailer we saw... how the time was reversed so that Byleth did not get hit by the axe of the Bandit chief ? Please....that is just cheap. If I screw up, I deserve a slap in the face. And if I get an unlucky crit from an enemy ? -> Well....thats how war is. Not everything goes smoothly. -> I hope this was just a cutscene or some Kind of plot device.

- Call me strange , but I hope they do not announce day 1 DLCs (Well.....except the 3 "usual" ones which let you grind EXP, Gold and Weapons) -> Give the People enough time to Play through the game at least once.

That is it for me.