Any worries?

Lord Ice

My main worry right now is Avatar worship. The fact that the second trailer centered around how we are so very special, and that is why we got a tutoring job at the most prestigious school in the continent is concerning. I'm hoping they were just using this trailer to highlight the Avatar, and the next three trailers focus on Edelgard, Dmitri, and Claude with very little Avatar worship involved.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mainly 

The combat animations look like a stepdown from Echoes and lacking  impact (especially the critical hits)

That there won't be an extenisve list of supports like un fates or awakening, It doesn't matter if there are S supports, I just want to see the units interact with each other as much as possible

Censorship in any way shape or form.

Overall I´m quite interested in how the gam will turn out, particularly considering that the school setting is just an excuse to explain reclassing and acquiring a new weapon to use upon changing class, and the potential customization of your units is something I´m really looking forward to. 

Guest Dalia
On 2/24/2019 at 9:31 PM, Lewyn said:

- Byleth being another Jesus Christ can never do anything wrong god of gods like Corrin.  Ah it's me Byleth I burned down an orphanage, however it is to show the evils of the empire!  We love you Byleth!

- Pedophilia and incest promoted and normalized like in Fates.

- The models still looking really rough and unattractive could hurt sales, hope the art picks up a lot as well

- The squads and formations being a bad addition or something that doesn't really matter, this is the most exciting thing in the game for me

- Characters reduced to one note anime tropes.  

- Lack of playable beast and/or manakete units.  They are my fav!

- Creepy teacher Byleth banging/marrying his students

- Fan service thrown in our face (look at Camilla's 'big sister' scene)

- Children, unless it is done like Genealogy.  

- Villains who are one dimensional rather than nuanced and deep

- AI being bad, map design being poor, gameplay being busted, etc etc.

Ooh, look! Someone with good takes!

honestly the whole teacher thing irks me. some students barely look 16, but i bet intsys is gonna justify s-supporting them with something like “the legal age in fodlan is 2!!! your students are graduating soon anyway!!! it’s a promise ring!!! byleth is underage too!!!”

i’m just bored at this point

1 hour ago, Guest Dalia said:

Ooh, look! Someone with good takes!

honestly the whole teacher thing irks me. some students barely look 16, but i bet intsys is gonna justify s-supporting them with something like “the legal age in fodlan is 2!!! your students are graduating soon anyway!!! it’s a promise ring!!! byleth is underage too!!!”

i’m just bored at this point

I think Fates had a bunch of age changes for characters like Elise/Sakura when localized, and I believe even Blazing Sword changed the age of Lyn (though she always looked already developed so didn't send out any creepy vibes).  Well yeah I hate the 'legal age' argument, like with Nowi.  She is a 1000 years old!  Yeah but that is in human years, in dragon years she is a young child and this is very obvious in how she looks.  

Considering Awakening and Fates, I'm almost 100% certain there will be loli romance options unfortunately.  

3 hours ago, Lewyn said:

I think Fates had a bunch of age changes for characters like Elise/Sakura when localized, and I believe even Blazing Sword changed the age of Lyn (though she always looked already developed so didn't send out any creepy vibes).  Well yeah I hate the 'legal age' argument, like with Nowi.  She is a 1000 years old!  Yeah but that is in human years, in dragon years she is a young child and this is very obvious in how she looks.  

Considering Awakening and Fates, I'm almost 100% certain there will be loli romance options unfortunately.  

They didn't "change" the age of characters in modern fire emblem games because the writers are smart enough at this point to never mention or allude to a definitive age in any release of the game. This is in hopes of creating reasonable doubt that we're playing as adults who merely look and act like children. Though I am mildly curious if the "act like the adult that you technically are" line in Fates' prologue was added in localization. 

21 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Though I am mildly curious if the "act like the adult that you technically are" line in Fates' prologue was added in localization. 

Yeah that line is exclusive to the international release cause in the japanese version Leo explicitly calls her a brat which implies that she’s still a kid to some capacity. Ugh fates and your pandering nonsense. 

On 2/23/2019 at 4:24 PM, Lord Ice said:

I dunno about you guys, but this game's noted mechanics and revolution around a school worry me. Do you guys agree at all. What are your concerns?

I for sure am intrigued by the recent trailer and im trying to keep my hopes low after Fates but im hearing good things so far. Biggest thing for me is that your not a student but a teacher so i already feel like youll be in a more mature nature (hopefully). Combat looks clean and like it was built off of Radiant dawn which still to this day has the best combat system/animations. Big concern would be the story. i really hope they dont F* it up like fates. Looks like an anime company isnt writing script this time so thats a good sign and the main characters so far look A LOT BETTER. Koei tecmo seems to be apart of the development in some way so thats a good sign as well, there reputation is well known.

All and all ive been saying good things but of course i have worries like:

- Stale character personalities

- Game turns into a high school scenario crap

- Story is bland with no depth

- They focus to much on the school and not the world

Overall ive been playing fire emblem for over 13 years and ill always buy the games (even warriors lol) but i really hope they destroy my favorite franchise of all time. NINTENDO KIDS ARE NOT YOUR ONLY AUDIENCE. had to get that out.

That I will have to wait this long to play the game.

Serious, I dont have any worries atm. Im just looking forward to the game's release. I think all the worries about the anime aspects, or any of that is just....silly. For one, the game is a Japanese game. With an anime art style. Always has been, always will be. The tropes have always been there, most people dont recognize it because they are either too young to know old ass 90s anime tropes, or dont recognize them because they have never watched a second of anime/played a JRPG outside of FE.

The writing, its too early to tell. I think we actually have a good foundation atm. They gave us more information on the world than we have had in a long while. We have a background on the MC beyond "I have amnesia". We have a reason why we become an instructor at the school, we have background on the "three houses", and the 3 kingdoms of the continent. Its a lot already, and its great.

Gameplay wise it looks like the FE we know, but spiced up. Makes sense, every jump to a new console have switched things up some. Seems like they are mostly taking from older games and combining them together, and I like that. As far as the flexibility goes on the characters and classes, seems like these characters we are starting with are trainee classes, so I find that interesting.

Thats my take on it so far, so I dont see anything to worry about myself. I get some of the worries, but in a way I think its too early to say anything other than what would be assumptions when it comes to the game somehow being lesser.

One thing I'm a little worried about is the variety within the playable cast. 

I always regretted that the new Fire Emblem games didn't have room for anything other than cute teenagers and handsome young adults. Everyone needing to be conventionally attractive means elderly hermits like Niime or grizzled veterans like Duessel have no place in the playable roster except from the most neglected of supporting characters. 

And a school setting has the potential to make that lack of variety worse. Atenting school naturally makes one a teenager. Someone like Duessel has no need to go to school. I suppose being able to recruit teachers would adress this issue to some extend but having every old character be a teacher also isn't great for variety. Reformed bandits, wacky archdukes, mercenaries hired on the battlefield or defectors from the enemy would be less likely if the cast all needs to be connected to the school. 

And Japanese school means the students have school uniforms. Everyone wearing variations of the same uniform could become very boring. The appearance of a character often tells something about them and a school uniform can greatly hinder that. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

On 2/24/2019 at 6:31 PM, Chopper... said:

Was Phoenix Mode popular? I'm sure it was as criticized as Casual Mode, but did a lot of people use it? If so, I believe it will come back in 3H, since IntSys created the mode in the first place because they realized a lot of people still had a very hard time with Casual Mode, and that it was necessary to give those fans, who really liked the series, the opportunity to play and enjoy it too ❤️. It would be terrible for those fans if they decide to go without it... and also for IntSys in terms of marketing.

I found one use for Phoenix Mode XD getting interesting skills on characters via Corrin marriage so use Phoenix mode to speed through the plot with Corrin/spouse solo and then choose them for my skill carryovers and buy the skill in my normal run where I’m not married to that character XD

22 hours ago, Tolvir said:

Serious, I dont have any worries atm. Im just looking forward to the game's release. I think all the worries about the anime aspects, or any of that is just....silly. For one, the game is a Japanese game. With an anime art style. Always has been, always will be. The tropes have always been there, most people dont recognize it because they are either too young to know old ass 90s anime tropes, or dont recognize them because they have never watched a second of anime/played a JRPG outside of FE.

This. I agree with this 100%. I've always hated the "too anime" argument cause it's not really an argument. I mean yeah it's got an anime artstyle and uses some recognizable anime character tropes but saying it's "too anime" doesn't really explain why that's a bad thing necessarily. Like yeah it has anime-esque tropes but why is that a bad thing? is the trope poorly executed? is that what you're trying to say? I dunno I really just don't like that argument. 

19 hours ago, Ottservia said:

This. I agree with this 100%. I've always hated the "too anime" argument cause it's not really an argument. I mean yeah it's got an anime artstyle and uses some recognizable anime character tropes but saying it's "too anime" doesn't really explain why that's a bad thing necessarily. Like yeah it has anime-esque tropes but why is that a bad thing? is the trope poorly executed? is that what you're trying to say? I dunno I really just don't like that argument. 

It's usually a matter of cliches and/or crass fanservice. Not all anime archetypes and tropes are bad, but how can one not roll their eyes when you have a "woops, fell into your cleavage" gag or "technical adult, not a child despite appearances and behavior" character? Give me some class and nuance in my anime stories, please.  

On 3/11/2019 at 8:41 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

And a school setting has the potential to make that lack of variety worse. Atenting school naturally makes one a teenager. Someone like Duessel has no need to go to school. I suppose being able to recruit teachers would adress this issue to some extend but having every old character be a teacher also isn't great for variety. Reformed bandits, wacky archdukes, mercenaries hired on the battlefield or defectors from the enemy would be less likely if the cast all needs to be connected to the school. 

And Japanese school means the students have school uniforms. Everyone wearing variations of the same uniform could become very boring. The appearance of a character often tells something about them and a school uniform can greatly hinder that. 

That's my main concern too. Overall, I'm now a lot more optimistic about Three Houses than I was right after the trailers came out, but this particular concern unfortunately remains.

Like you, I tend to favor older characters. I really appreciate that our protagonist is the oldest we've ever had (probably) and that they are a teacher and not a student, but... The vast majority of characters seemingly being students is a hefty blow to potential character diversity.

On a more positive note, I'm not sure that "school = teenager" necessarily. It can be more of a university setting, where you can have students of all ages. There's no students that we've seen that is "old" like Duessel, but there's some that really don't look like teenagers. The black-haired "scary" man in the Black Eagles, the white-haired axeman from the Blue Lions and Raphael from the Golden Deers in particular. Then there's others that are more borderline, but that I'd certainly fit more under "adults" than "teenagers" like Ferdinand, Linhardt, blue hair unknown man and Leonie (with mayyybe Petra and Mercedes). The setting kind of push away kids too like Ricken, which I personally appreciate (I've never been a fan of 10-12 years old fighting on a battlefield, killing and potentially dying). 

Unfortunately, even if some of the students are potentially older than teenagers, the uniform still remains and its my biggest pet-peeve. I don't like how the base uniform looks at all (flat black doesn't look good to me), and everyone is wearing a variation of it. My personal bias aside, it makes everyone looks very samey. Even I adored the base uniform, the issue would still remain.

Look at this screenshot from a battle:

Spoiler

training-3.jpg

Most characters looks nearly identical at first glance. This is pretty zoomed in and the characters mesh together. In Radiant Dawn, you can immediately know who is who at a glance. Here? You only know because of the flying face icons.

How many characters are immediately visually distinct here?

1) Petra with her white shirt, bare legs and contrasting hair color.

2) Edelgard due to the huge mass of hair combined with red tights (it's the only somewhat vibrant color present on anyone).

... and that's basically it. Caspar (white sleeves) and Dorothea (skirt, small amount of leg) if you feel very generous. All the others are extremely similar to each other. They have different hair colors, yes, but all of them have muted tones (even the Ferdinand's orange) so they don't stand out at all.

We'll probably get a bit more variation once our team is class-changed, but all the official art, designs (including other materials like Heroes, Cipher, possible manga), cutscenes, etc are all going to be with those same, near identical uniforms. To me, it's a huge shame, especially since every student, even from different houses, use the same uniform. I'll live with it and it's certainly not the end of the world (especially if the rest of the game is great), but I certainly hope the next Fire Emblem game won't use so similar uniforms for every character again.

Edited by Ayra

1 hour ago, Ayra said:

Like you, I tend to favor older characters. I really appreciate that our protagonist is the oldest we've ever had (probably) and that they are a teacher and not a student, but... The vast majority of characters seemingly being students is a hefty blow to potential character diversity.

On a more positive note, I'm not sure that "school = teenager" necessarily. It can be more of a university setting, where you can have students of all ages. There's no students that we've seen that is "old" like Duessel, but there's some that really don't look like teenagers. The black-haired "scary" man in the Black Eagles, the white-haired axeman from the Blue Lions and Raphael from the Golden Deers in particular. Then there's others that are more borderline, but that I'd certainly fit more under "adults" than "teenagers" like Ferdinand, Linhardt, blue hair unknown man and Leonie (with mayyybe Petra and Mercedes). The setting kind of push away kids too like Ricken, which I personally appreciate (I've never been a fan of 10-12 years old fighting on a battlefield, killing and potentially dying).

I wouldn't say I favor older characters per se. My list of favorites seems to be split pretty evenly across ages with children, teenagers, adults and the elderly all having some spots. 

The black haired men Dimitri was training with struck me as a retainer helping with his training. He might be recruitable or he's just there for Dimitri's introduction

10 hours ago, Ayra said:

snip

This looks like fire emblem if everyone was kliff, but even then kliff had more vibrant colors on his outfit, but when your only base colors are black and white with accents being the only way to have any color, it really blends together after a while.

We have seen some pretty nifty armor variations, with Edelgard looking like she keeps her color scheme, so I wonder if the students' designs will diverge more after they class change. I'm less worried about color schemes and the like and more worried that we'll only get students and the occasional teacher/hobo we pick up off the street. It'd be nice with fewer teenagers, and what are the odds that the royal family, imperial dynasty, and the leading family of a noble alliance each have a kid in presumably the same year. 

But really, what worries me the most is the same thing that concerns many people. Player worship, blatant and repetitive anime tropes, too much unoriginal school stuff which comes at the expense of the story and its structure... 

That last part I think is all but guaranteed. Like Persona and Trails of Cold Steel, which seem to have contributed some inspiration to this game, have you do school stuff/bonding, then you go on adventure for a bit, then it's back to school, rinse and repeat with an occasional curve ball thrown into the mix. This can work, don't get me wrong, but it can easily feel predictable. If we start at the school after the prologue, then go to Leicester, then back to school, then Faerghus, back to school which, surprise! Is being attacked, and then you go to the Adrestian Empire, it'll feel very formulaic, I fear. 

Edit: another potential drawback of the school is that, if they're all nobles, won't many have similar upbringings? Sure, someone might be a bastard, someone might come from a poor family that's only noble in name, one might be adopted, and so on, but awesome dialogue like Clive x Python won't be possible in Three Houses unless we get to recruit people of different backgrounds outside the school. 

Edited by Thane

50 minutes ago, Chitsuuki said:

In the japanese trailer after promoting the characters seem to all have the same red color theme ( Black Eagles)

Screenshot_20190313-113424_YouTube.jpg

Thank you for this image! It helps alleviate some of my issues. While it's still the same color for everyone from a faction, I assume we'll be getting some characters from multiple factions later on so we should be getting more variety.

Also, at least the clothes look different too. It's very easy to differentiate between the fighters and the mage here, which is a big step-up over the academy uniforms. And actual armor! Yay! Too bad they won't show up on portraits, art, etc, but at least it's a start that there's more variety model-wise.

As a tiny aside, I'm noticing that Ferdinand's armor is not the same tint as Byleth's (?), but the armor itself looks very similar. The scene lighting is comparable in both spots, so is it due to the glowy sword, or is it a different class, or do promoted characters have slight coloring differences?

I'm actually not too worried about player worship because we're not playing as a hero, we're playing as a teacher.

When has a teacher ever saved the day? The role of a teacher isn't to save the world but to prepare his students to do it for him and usually they die somewhere along the way. Unlike Robin who took over from Chrom at the end I expect the reserve to be true. Bayleth will start out all important but he'll pass down the torch to the main lord trio before the story ends.

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm actually not too worried about player worship because we're not playing as a hero, we're playing as a teacher.

"In Fire Emblem Three Houses, you are the hero the world needs". 

21 minutes ago, Thane said:

"In Fire Emblem Three Houses, you are the hero the world needs". 

25 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

When has a teacher ever saved the day? The role of a teacher isn't to save the world but to prepare his students to do it for him and usually they die somewhere along the way. Unlike Robin who took over from Chrom at the end I expect the reserve to be true. Bayleth will start out all important but he'll pass down the torch to the main lord trio before the story ends.

Not only does the trailer immediately begin with “You are the hero the world needs” but if you look closely in the trailer and the game’s box art you can see him holding what looks like the game’s legendary weapon and seemingly resisting some sort of dark force; the same dark force we see in the hands of an evil priest looking character.

It’s already too late to say there won’t be any player worship, the return of the avatar as a concept basically confirmed it immediately.

40 minutes ago, Guest Don said:

It’s already too late to say there won’t be any player worship, the return of the avatar as a concept basically confirmed it immediately.

Um, lol? Can people stop acting like player worship was a thing in each game that had an avatar in it?

Really Corrin was the only avatar character that had that going for them, and I'm sure most of it was just becasue of the game's bad writing in general, we still have no idea how Byleth is going to be handled, and as for the "the hero the world needs" line, it really doesn't tell us anything about him, that one line doesn't tell us if the game will treat Byleth like a character who can do no wrong like they treated Corrin.

3 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

Um, lol? Can people stop acting like player worship was a thing in each game that had an avatar in it?

Really Corrin was the only avatar character that had that going for them, and I'm sure most of it was just becasue of the game's bad writing in general, we still have no idea how Byleth is going to be handled, and as for the "the hero the world needs" line, it really doesn't tell us anything about him, that one line doesn't tell us if the game will treat Byleth like a character who can do no wrong like they treated Corrin.

I wouldn’t say corrin was the only one who had it. I can’t speak for kris but Robin had it as well. The difference with Robin however is that it was implemented in a way that felt earned, natural, and organic. It was done in a way to make the player feel good without sacrificing the integrity of the other characters. I could go on a whole tirade about this but yeah