Who would you consider to be the most "realistic" Lord?

indigoasis

If a Lord was an actual person in real life, who would you consider to be the most "realistic" Lord in the series? In terms of their character/personality/appearance/actions/motivation/feats/etc, etc. I'm aware that no Lord or character is entirely realistic in any way, and comparing fictional characters to real people standards is dumb, but this is a serious question I want to ask for the sake of learning a bit more about these characters and people's opinions about them.... That's the reason I'm gonna give so this thread has some semblance of meaning.

I would ask who the most realistic character in the series is, but that's a lot of characters to take into consideration, and I think it would be easier to take just the Lords into consideration since it's a way smaller group of characters and often the first characters you meet in the games and often the characters that get the most development, if any.

Anyway, you aren't limited to one answer (which is ironic considering the field of characters is limited), and give your reasons as to why you think a certain Lord is realistic. If you also want to say who you think is the most unrealistic Lord, feel free to go for it. Even though we know next to squat about the Three Houses Lord(s), they're viable options, too.

Most are too humble and empathetic to be actual priviledged nobles.  They would normally be pretty conceited assholes. Generally the same sort of dick most villains in the series are portrayed as. 

I'd say Alm is the most realistic, since he would know nothing of that and wasn't raised in nobility. Perhaps Ike and Lyn as well.

Edited by Vince777

10 minutes ago, indigocean said:

I'm aware that no Lord or character is entirely realistic in any way, and comparing fictional characters to real people standards is dumb, but this is a serious question I want to ask for the sake of learning a bit more about these characters and people's opinions about them.... That's the reason I'm gonna give so this thread has some semblance of meaning.

Well damn this verse is like the most well written thing I've read today.

I think Ike is more realistic? Since he isn't a pampered noble pup. Although I'm not sure 'bout Alm. I know nothing though tbh.

I am going to say Hector, I remember in game he was talked about as being a person who did not care what was going on and only did what he wanted when he wanted.  Rather Typical young lord actions, but he does grow up in the end.

Sigurd perhaps? He does what he thinks is right and sometimes goes against the established course of his country if he feels its the right thing to do. But kind actions like sheltering the prince of a kingdom you're at war with rather then send him to the capitol is one of the things his enemies use to brand him a traitor, and on that topic they kinda have a point. 

1 hour ago, Vince777 said:

Most are too humble and empathetic to be actual priviledged nobles.  They would normally be pretty conceited assholes. Generally the same sort of dick most villains in the series are portrayed as. 

It really depends on the the lords. Altea is a small island, Pherae doesn't seem much more than a castle and its surrounding villages, and Ostia too might not be much more than a medium sized city. It makes perfect sense for Eliwood and Marth to be humble and approachable when their domain is small enough for them to know most people in it.

I don't think historical nobles were really all that into the whole ''let them eat cake'' mentality as much as fictional works would imply. Many might have had problems connecting with starving peasants but a lot of them really believed they the duty to do well. 

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I don't think historical nobles were really all that into the whole ''let them eat cake'' mentality as much as fictional works would imply. Many might have had problems connecting with starving peasants but a lot of them really believed they the duty to do well. 

Agreed. Power and wealth do corrupt, and detach from the lives of ordinary people, and the perspectives of yesteryear can and are in many cases outdated, but I don't think all nobility was evil. It's more the bad ones interest us in the modern day, and we're for good reason taught to spurn strictly hereditary authority and power.

Likewise, not all building projects, say great houses of worship, were made solely to showcase royal/noble prestige and authority, certainly some of it had to derive from a sincere faith in their religion.

Hector might be most realistic in the sense that isn't quite so rosily idealistic, he has edges, which people often do, without those edges being extreme. Eliwood and Marth and the ilk seem too goody good. Saints do exist IRL, but if "realistic" means a higher degree of commonality, perhaps Hector is closer to being more common than the Marthian lord?

I honestly am thinking Shadow Dragon Marth (only SD because he becomes a lot more humble and super empathetic in the sequel) because Marth arguably has the best reason to fight out of any lords in the series,

Rather than being a good person who got caught up in this big conflict Marth was a little arrogant kid when the attack on his castle happened and during his exile to Talys he held anger and hatred toward the countries that did this to him without thinking about what they must be feeling until later in the game.

Marth starts full of hatred, and then learns as the war goes on, so he wins it for me.

Leif, he makes mistake after mistake and picks himself up and struggles through hardship constantly. He's almost never given an easy out. 

He's the most human because of his faults and mistakes, Eliwood is up there as well through his humble nature and struggles he goes through as well.

2 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Although I'm not sure 'bout Alm. I know nothing though tbh.

Alm by personality maybe? But what kind of farmer would realistically become the leader of a rebel army? And it's kind of implied that he's ready to take up the Zofian throne if need be; Gray and Tobin comments on how Alm may have to be King when the war ends. I like Alm, but I still can't get my head around how he is just thrown into a position of power. It works for the game, and it works for the "boosting morale" mentality, but realistically in real life? Not so much.

May we consider Leo or Takumi? Both are very similar. They throw fits, feel overshadowed, kind of snobby, kind of fussy...

Edited by Leocanta

2 minutes ago, Leocanta said:

Alm by personality maybe? But what kind of farmer would realistically become the leader of a rebel army? And it's kind of implied that he's ready to take up the Zofian throne if need be; Gray and Tobin comments on how Alm may have to be King when the war ends. I like Alm, but I still can't get my head around how he is just thrown into a position of power. It works for the game, and it works for the "boosting morale" mentality, but realistically in real life? Not so much.

May we consider Leo or Takumi? Both are very similar. They throw fits, feel overshadowed, kind of snobby, kind of fussy...

He's the legend's grandson and this is the sort of moral boost the nearly defeated rebellion needed at this point. Sort of like how Joan of Arc led troops because she was thought to have had visions so that's at least one instance in which something like that happened in real life. 

I still agree it is silly that he was appointed the actual leader and the game addresses that a bit with Fernand defecting. It seems Clive thought it a good idea after they've endured defeat after defeat and only started to win again after Alm had joined.

I'd say Alm would be the most personable of the bunch. The most realistic personality (then again, when your game is fully voice acted, you automatically have an advantage over the others). 

If we're talking about motivation/purpose/drive, I've gotta give it to Leif for the same reason @Jedi pointed out.

Appearances... Leo. He'd blend in if we gave him some clothing from our world. Leif probably would too. And Berkut, if he counts. Like, all the other lords have hair colour we could only achieve by dying it. (Well, Ryoma and Xander may not require colouring, but their hairstyles make them stick out a bit).

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

Leif, he makes mistake after mistake and picks himself up and struggles through hardship constantly. He's almost never given an easy out. 

He's the most human because of his faults and mistakes, Eliwood is up there as well through his humble nature and struggles he goes through as well.

This.

Leif's whole theme is growing through adversity, which holds a bit more water than the rest of the lords' stories. And he has an appropriate attitude/personality to boot.

Edited by Slumber

Probably Leif or Micaiah. Leif because most of the reasons already mentioned, and Micaiah because she actually seems to have to struggle with difficult decisions.

Every other Lord seems to have everything handed to them in a silver platter.

I'm kinda biased, but I'd say Ike. Mainly because I related to and empathized with him pretty hard. He just felt very grounded in reality, and his actions reflect his low birth and life of dealing with work and combat. The actions that he takes and even the way he speaks to other characters all reflect his upbringing and ideals instilled in him by not only his father, but his lifestyle. 

On 2/25/2019 at 12:44 PM, ping said:

Leif. He's the only one without ridiculously coloured hair.

This cracked me up and it is definitely true.

Anyways, I find Marth and Leif to be very similar, and while Marth is my pick I may be convinced to change it to Leif, I'd say both of them are at the top though.

This may change with a possible Jugdral/Thracia 776 Echoes, but Roy's in-story focus on strategy and knowledge shows that you don't need a gamebreaking unit for your army to win.

Edited by henrymidfields