Fates Artbook Named and Dated (Pellucid Crystal, releasing 25th April)

VincentASM

Front page article here

Yes, this thing is real and it's finally coming on 25th April 2019, nearly 4 years after the game first released. At the moment, it's only releasing in Japan.

The book has 320 pages, featuring character artwork from in-game (private quarters etc) and concept designs, story outlines, etc. The cover is illustrated by Yusuke Kozaki and will be revealed during the Cipher livestream on 16th March. Hopefully we'll get more details there.

However, a word of caution: the artbook will NOT have every character's official artwork. Please read the article for the full quotes. It seems Mr Kozaki was unable to finish all the artwork in time, but he's hoping to do so later on in the future.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, VincentASM said:

However, a word of caution: the artbook will NOT have every character's official artwork. Please read the article for the full quotes. It seems Mr Kozaki was unable to finish all the artwork in time, but he's hoping to do so later on in the future.

On one hand, I've been looking forward a lot to a Fates artbook (it's my favorite game character-design wise) and with 320 pages it seems like a must-buy.

... but that phrase up there is very worrying. What I'm wondering is if it is:

A) "It's missing some characters, like the 2nd generation"

or

B) "It only contains the royals and a tiny handful of very specific characters like Felicia and Jakob"

A is a definite buy. B... I'm not so sure. A big appeal of this book would have been to see official designs for all the characters without one. Is there going to be some new official art at all or will we have already seen all of it? If characters don't have an official finished art, will we see at least see concept design for them?

4 hours ago, Ayra said:

On one hand, I've been looking forward a lot to a Fates artbook (it's my favorite game character-design wise) and with 320 pages it seems like a must-buy.

... but that phrase up there is very worrying. What I'm wondering is if it is:

A) "It's missing some characters, like the 2nd generation"

or

B) "It only contains the royals and a tiny handful of very specific characters like Felicia and Jakob"

A is a definite buy. B... I'm not so sure. A big appeal of this book would have been to see official designs for all the characters without one. Is there going to be some new official art at all or will we have already seen all of it? If characters don't have an official finished art, will we see at least see concept design for them?

I'm not sure, but I'm hoping it's closer to A than B. When there are more details, I will update ASAP.

I'm guessing there's concept art for everyone, since they need a reference to design the 3D models. There's already a good amount of concept art in the Making of Fire Emblem book released in 2015, so I'm pretty confident we don't have to worry about that aspect at least.

I am interested in this too! While I do not generally care about extra stuff or limited editions, I do like art books, specially if the edition is of quality (binding, cover, paper weight.) Hopefully we will have more details in the upcoming weeks.
It should better include Odin and Ophelia, or else.

Edited by starburst

6 hours ago, Ayra said:

from what i've seen, a part of the previous artworks has also been already shown in the Limited Edition Artbook, however it was mostly official designs and concept details about royals and 1st generation units.

since the new book will apparently have 320 pages, i guess it will include plenty of scenery backgrounds and probably even more characters art that was not shown before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While it's a bit disappointing that we're not getting every character in this, I'm glad we're finally getting this. I'm always up for seeing more concept art for characters and there's a number I'd like to see what Kozaki came up with before reaching their final design, so I can't wait for this to come out. 

On 3/16/2019 at 4:41 PM, FuranSuwa said:

Took a screenshot of the full illustration, there's more behind !

Hide contents

fe_full.thumb.png.d8c994088a7a77928c77d608ba78ea07.png

As far as I'm concerned, I'd possibly call this the best art I've ever seen in my life. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I should be getting a physical copy of this book on Friday and I plan to take high-quality photos of all the pages. Would anyone be interested in accessing these images for translation purposes? (I confess, I wanted it to see if there was lore- but can't read Japanese)

59 minutes ago, Damosel said:

I should be getting a physical copy of this book on Friday and I plan to take high-quality photos of all the pages. Would anyone be interested in accessing these images for translation purposes? (I confess, I wanted it to see if there was lore- but can't read Japanese)

Definitely.

I think @Kirokan was going to get the book as well.

Anyway, I'm super interested in any pages that look like they have lore info. Timelines, country profiles, that kinda stuff ^^

It's a bit odd that Xenoblade 2 got an artbook before Fates did, despite being released two and a half years later.

Wow, the artbook actually does exist! I was worried that I imagined the whole thing. It's a shame that not everyone has full artwork, but I appreciate that Kozaki felt strongly enough to apologize about it.

Also, it's pretty cool (heh) that Flora's artwork is a reflection of Felicia's.

Kagero's pose is unexpected. It deemphasizes her prominent feature. Not exactly a natural pose, but not one that screams seductive either.

Flora's symmetry to Felicia's is fitting given they're sisters. But the two certainly give off different vibes. Felicia is joyful, stress free, and has lightly juggled a dagger into the air without a care, even though it is pointing towards her. Flora looks flustered, and is gripping her dagger with an expression of self defense mixed with a hint of desire for aggression.

14 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

She's so beautiful in all of her mature glory!

To think this Corrinsexual Jagen of all people would get official art when they said not everyone would have it in this artbook. It's got an element of gentility to it- of being relaxed; yet it isn't a frail damsel, she has strength to her still.

I really like it from a first impression.

@Stroud This isn't Rinkah (I dunno if she got artwork here), but you might like Reina.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer