I would really like to be a student...

tapwater

I think I would like to play as a student as well.

What do you think about a prequel in which we play Byleth as a student? Hear me out:

We start with a school whose students comes from all the three Houses, so Byleth has classmates from all Three Houses. Byleth learns the basics of tactics and fighting in class, completes assessments, trains, makes friends with classmates, etc. All of these could be something like a really fleshed out version of the prologue chapters in New Mystery of the Emblem. I expect this to be battle based, where the class would split into two teams and fight each other. This way, Byleth/player can level up all the characters during the classroom period. Interactions (like Awakening barracks) would be about school, but the supports would be about the character's personality (like how supports usually are). 

The final assessment would be an expedition to this territory where they must defeat some enemies to pass the test. Of course, Byleth would be chosen as commander, by some contest, a flip of the coin, or whatever shenanigans. I imagine this to be something like Blazing Sword where Byleth is given a ranking in terms of tactics, funds, survival, etc... Byleth's teacher tells the students that the enemies are actors hired to fight the students, so obviously Byleth et co. defeats these enemies and comes out top. Little do they know that the enemies are not actors and that the students literally started a conflict. They realise that the evil mastermind is actually their teacher. But because the class is made up of all three houses, each student wants to stay loyal to their own house and splits up. This can create a lot of tension and unease amongst the characters, since they were soldiers and trained together (think Katarina). I don't want this to be something like Fates where you have to recruit people as the chapter progresses, but rather something like the old games where you recruit based on certain conditions, like talking to the recruitee with a certain character. 

I'm not really sure what would happen after that, but Byleth would try to stymie the conflict. I don't think Byleth should be successful, because conflict is not so easy to solve. Byleth should at least defeat the evil teacher, though. Afterwards, Byleth becomes a teacher himself to help alleviate the conflict in Three Houses. I'm not quite sure what the tension is in Three Houses, but whatever happens to young Byleth would translate into Three Houses. 

In other words, I just think it would be fun to play as both a student and a teacher, seeing Byleth's maturity and development, and flesh out the lore a little bit. 

Byleth recently became a Teacher because of special circumstances he was a mercenary till then so it wouldn't work as a prequel. Maybe a new game with this idea can work better.

33 minutes ago, Guest Tobi said:

Byleth recently became a Teacher because of special circumstances he was a mercenary till then so it wouldn't work as a prequel. Maybe a new game with this idea can work better.

This may not be entirely true. The Japanese trailer is less boot liking, it only mention that Byleth was choose to teach in the School for his aptitudes and skills. It never says the lines "You're the Hero the world needs" or "A special power awakens within you" as this is the reason why Byleth was choose. When talking about Sothis the trailer just says that "At the same time Byleth was choose to be a teacher he started to see a mysterious girl".

1 minute ago, linkhuesitos said:

This may not be entirely true. The Japanese trailer is less boot liking, it only mention that Byleth was choose to teach in the School for his aptitudes and skills. It never says the lines "You're the Hero the world needs" or "A special power awakens within you" as this is the reason why Byleth was choose. When talking about Sothis the trailer just says that "At the same time Byleth was choose to be a teacher he started to see a mysterious girl".

Again we started as a mercenary no mention of starting as a student again this wouldn't work not that this was going to happen anyway.

25 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

As a 32 year old, it is nice to be able to have my avatar not be a kid for a change.

29 and I can concur. I can't say I hate teenage protagonists but it's a breath of fresh air to have someone older and in a position of authority even if it's only by a few years.

I think it's better that Byleth is an outsider of the school system. So far, every character introduced is a student so we could really use more outside influences and perspective.

2 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

29 and I can concur. I can't say I hate teenage protagonists but it's a breath of fresh air to have someone older and in a position of authority even if it's only by a few years.

I think it's better that Byleth is an outsider of the school system. So far, every character introduced is a student so we could really use more outside influences and perspective.

Ah, only 29, I was thinking you were my age for some reason.

I wary about reading too much before playing the game about the characters as not to spoil myself, though I tried the same with Fates, and I'm not sure if it was worth it.

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Ah, only 29, I was thinking you were my age for some reason.

I wary about reading too much before playing the game about the characters as not to spoil myself, though I tried the same with Fates, and I'm not sure if it was worth it.

That's honestly the best way to go about it. Nothing could save Fates but going in with zero expectations allows an unbiased first experience. For one example, Conquest would have a, well, not quite as bad reception if you didn't hear the "change the country from within" pitch in the promotional materials.

Edited by NekoKnight

IDK I'm 23 and I just graduated from university, frankly I'm kind of burned out on wanting to do school after my last two semesters. (I regret taking two full semester classes in 3.5 weeks over the last summer, worst time of my life for stress)

It's nice and all that the avatar looks about my age I just have 0 interest in even rolplaying a student, unless of course it's "that" kind of role play.

honestly I don't care for the school setting, I just don't have the same level of interest as I did for Fates and Echoes right now

Your idea sounds pretty decent. I'd actually willingly play your scenario. It does sound fun and has potential, but...

Overall, I'm still happy we are "just" the teacher. I've never really enjoyed a single game based around a school and I'm hoping very much that being a teacher instead of a student will change that. It's been close to two decades since I finished university; but even when I was still in school I still preferred adult protagonists over those that were my own age. High school dynamics is really not something I'm looking back at fondly and I'm personally very happy those years are far behind me (probably a big reason why school games are a big miss for me). There's also a gigantic amount of school-based games available, so it's nice to see something a bit different for once.

Anyway, in a strategy game like this, being a teacher makes more sense than a student. Since you are leading people in life-or-death battles, being in a position of authority is pretty much mandatory. Plus, you are selecting development for other characters. A teacher can say: "Focus on your sword skill", but a student can't really do that for anyone besides themselves. 

On 25/02/2019 at 9:15 PM, Rezzy said:

As a 32 year old, it is nice to be able to have my avatar not be a kid for a change.

On 25/02/2019 at 9:44 PM, NekoKnight said:

This is my exact opinion on the matter. Japanese videogames and anime almost always have kids as protagonists, and while there's nothing wrong with that, I find it weird that the fate of the whole world always rests on the hands of a group of kids, hahaha. I know it's just fiction, though.

Anyway, I love it when I get to be an adult in a videogame :lol: because I can actually identify with it.

That being said, this is a good idea for a tutorial, like in New Mystery.

• 2 years later...

An interesting and fascinating story, but in real life we would all sit in a boring lesson, listening to a boring subject from a boring teacher. And then we have to do stupid homework that we don't need.

I don't think I want Byleth as a student given that the story established that he's been a traveling mercenary with their father Jeralt that just came in to the monastery as a teacher with no experience. They were taught all by their dad Jeralt so they'd never been in a classroom anyways till the events of Three Houses. 

Maybe if Byleth was written to be a student it'll work better than Three Houses now. I did remember my gut instict didn't want to play as a teacher and I bought warriors instead as my first Fire Emblem game. I was thinking it's wrong and why play as a teacher. I bought the game expecting disappointment and i should've trusted my gut a little more.