Pokemon Direct on 2/27/19

Armagon

So yeah. We're (probably) getting Gen 8 news tomorrow. I don't really know what to expect since it's just 7 minutes long but after the mediocre USUM and terrible Let's GO, i'm hoping we see something good.

Ah, finally. I'm ready for Gen VIII! Hopefully these games will be the "games we've been long awaiting" like Game Freak says they will be (what with Let's Go! being the "introductory game" for the Switch and all).

Of course, Sun and Moon were announced on February 26, 2016, but I don't think we got any gameplay until May 10th (when we got the starters and mascots). I hope they space out reveals more evenly this time.

Gotta Catch 'em all, Gotta Catch 'em Aaaaalllllll. On the switch!

Oh my, that's too early for me. Too bad it's not Pokemon Z because I'm going to be zzzzzzzzzzzz

Predictions: 

• Names of the two versions. 
  • The name of the region, and enough narration/concept art to get a vague idea of the region's themes. But nobody can agree on a single real world country being referenced.
  • Between 15 and 30 seconds of actual gameplay footage, but we don't see a battle, just overworld graphics and character models.
  • No more than 5 pokemon are seen in total, half of which hail from the Kanto or Sinnoh region rather than new pokemon.
    • The only new pokemon I anticipate are this game's version of Pidgey, and some weird mystery pokemon in the same vein as Cosmog that gets bizarrely hyped up in promotional material.
  • A tease of the boxart legendaries in some kind of non-gameplay cutscene. Not a full body view, just a zoomed in shot of their eye opening or something.

Hail Mary predictions:

• Starter pokemon!?
  • Gen 8 doesn't get mentioned at all beyond "It's still coming this year", and this Direct is actually just announcing more spinoffs for Switch. Sorry, losers.
  • We see a Kanto pokemon morphing into a new form at the very end of the Direct but nobody knows if it's mega evolution or some new mechanic.

8 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Of course, Sun and Moon were announced on February 26, 2016, but I don't think we got any gameplay until May 10th (when we got the starters and mascots). I hope they space out reveals more evenly this time.

Yeha and i also hope they don't reveal too much. Game Freak has a habit of revealing almost every new Pokemon before release.

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

Gen 8 doesn't get mentioned at all beyond "It's still coming this year", and this Direct is actually just announcing more spinoffs for Switch. Sorry, losers.

If one of those spin-offs is a new PMD game, i'll take that as a tentative win (i say tentative because Explorers of Sky was the last good one, ever PMD that came after was ok at best).

After researching a bit, I found that there were only four Pokémon Directs before now:

• The first had a series retrospective and announced X and Y, revealing the starters, mascots, and some gameplay (probably because they were the first 3D games).
  • The second announced Pokémon Bank and the Mega Evolutions for the Kanto starters (sans Mega Charizard X, who was revealed in Pokémon Origins).
  • The third had another series retrospective and announced Sun and Moon (without gameplay).
  • The fourth announced Pokken Tournament DX, Gold and Silver being released on the Virtual Console, and USUM (with some gameplay).

So if we're lucky, we'll get some gameplay and hopefully the starters/mascots in addition to the obligatory retrospective.

EDIT: I also noticed that we first got significant SuMo information on May 10th 2016, and May 10th 2019 is the day Detective Pikachu releases. Coincidence? Well, probably.

Edited by Lightchao42

Direct time. Hopefully this is good.

First off, Gen 8. It is Switch, looks pretty nice actually, I think I'd have to look it over to see more details but my guess is it's in the UK with some steampunk stuff. We also get to see the starters, the fire one seems alright I guess, the water starter is literally a chao and the grass one seems alright too, probably my favourite. It's also called Sword and Shield, so King/Queen is off. Masuda shows up ), describes the games as new and he's just redescribing the trailer before passing to Ohmori. From him we get told the region's called Galar, we get the starter names (Just, a name like Grookey. I must pick him) and a worldwide release. Then we get teased about more and it just ends.

I mean, it could be worse, but we got so little information here. I do think there'll be a lot to guess in it though, good speculation fodder.

@Dai I mean, it's pretty likely they'll be there if I'm right on the region.

Edited by Dayni

I loved the Water starter. But I’m betting everyone will think the Water starter is stupid but will love it’s final evolution also people will love the fire bunny but will hate it’s final evolution and will hate the fact that it is bipedal.

Edited by Water Mage

I was only expecting 30 seconds of new content, so this is nice. People are already complaining that Scorbunny might evolve into a Fire/Fighting type. I'm leaning towards Sobble myself.

2 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I loved the Water starter. But I’m betting everyone will think the Water starter is stupid but will love it’s final evolution also people will love the fire bunny but will hate it’s final evolution and will hate the fact that it is bipedal.

Relevant