Pokémon Sword and Shield News and Discussion: Isle of Armor out now

Lightchao42

Being a world history/geography nerd I knew that Galar was based off of Great Britain as soon as the trailer started. The view of the countryside combined with architecture of the buildings was a dead giveaway.

Can't really say the trailer did to much else for me since I'm a pretty casual fan of the series nowadays. Probably won't be picking this one up unless they bring as much creativity to the table as they did for gen 7.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks like it'll be interesting. I really like the starters so far, and the whole region's aesthetic is gorgeous. I'll probably wait for a bit more info before I make a final decision on whether to get it or not, but I think I'm leaning towards yes.

Something I've noticed is that Grookey's French name is Ouistempo (ouistiti + tempo), so maybe part of Grookey's name comes from "groove". With that in mind, could Grookey's evolutionary line be rhythm themed, with Grookey itself making music by tapping its stick? Hopefully it will evolve into a bongo-playing gorilla.

Also Sobble's French name is Larméléon and its German name is Memmeon, which combined with its invisibility probably means it's a chameleon.

I hate the bunny. Why are fire starters never allowed to look like animals anymore? 

Ever since Blaziken, they either start out looking like weird furries instead of animals(Or in Scorbunny's case, the little annoying brother of the Trix Rabbit), or they evolve into it. Chimchar/Infernape get somewhat of a pass for being monkeys, but there's no excuse for Blaziken, Emboar, Incineroar, Delphox and now Scorbunny's. God help Gamefreak if it's another Fire/Fighting type. 

AND WHY IS IT SEEMINGLY SOCCER THEMED?! 

Sobble is neat, though. I like chameleons, I like water starters. Grookey could be neat, but it has one too many clashing colors in its design, and we already have a grass monkey Pokemon. 

Edited by Slumber

I really want to get this game on release, but I'm worried they might pull the same shit as they did with Sun and moon where they release the definitive version a tad later.... I think I might wait a few months before i get this game. I wish I had done the same with S/M because looking back the game was pretty bare bones compared to other games, like B2/w2 and Platinum.

Finally; a Pokémon region based on Great Britain! I've been looking forward to there being a region based on it; I just hope that they don't base it purely on England; there better be some of Wales and Scotland in this game. 

I don't particularly like any of the starter Pokémon, but I don't really dislike them either. I'll have to see more (like their evolutions) before I decide which one I'll pick. 

Since this game's region is clearly based on Great Britain, there are a couple of things that I hope are in the game:

1.  Red Hair in the trainer customization. Scotland has the 2nd largest %population of red heads with 6%, and Wales has the third largest. It would make sense for this game to be the one that finally includes redheads.
  2.  A bagpipes Pokémon. Whether it's a ghost type that is a haunted set of bagpipes, a frog with vocal sacs that look like bagpipes, or something else, I hope there's a bagpipes Pokémon. 
  3.  Three legendary dragons: a Red Dragon in the Wales section of the region, and a White Dragon in the England section of the ring. If you understand the reference, please reply. The third legendary dragon would be a Water-Dragon type that lives in a lake in the Scotland section. 
  4.  Pokémon based on Celtic Folklore. There are so many strange creatures they can use, such as brownies (tiny benign creatures that live in people's homes; think the elves from that shoemaker story).

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Also Sobble's French name is Larméléon and its German name is Memmeon, which combined with its invisibility probably means it's a chameleon.

A chameleon water starter...Does this mean if hidden abilities return, Sobble will get Protean? Will we see another Protean water starter dominating the competitive world?

Edited by Water Mage

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Finally; a Pokémon region based on Great Britain! I've been looking forward to there being a region based on it; I just hope that they don't base it purely on England; there better be some of Wales and Scotland in this game. 

I don't particularly like any of the starter Pokémon, but I don't really dislike them either. I'll have to see more (like their evolutions) before I decide which one I'll pick. 

Since this game's region is clearly based on Great Britain, there are a couple of things that I hope are in the game:

1.  Red Hair in the trainer customization. Scotland has the 2nd largest %population of red heads with 6%, and Wales has the third largest. It would make sense for this game to be the one that finally includes redheads.
  2.  A bagpipes Pokémon. Whether it's a ghost type that is a haunted set of bagpipes, a frog with vocal sacs that look like bagpipes, or something else, I hope there's a bagpipes Pokémon. 
  3.  Three legendary dragons: a Red Dragon in the Wales section of the region, and a White Dragon in the England section of the ring. If you understand the reference, please reply. The third legendary dragon would be a Water-Dragon type that lives in a lake in the Scotland section. 
  4.  Pokémon based on Celtic Folklore. There are so many strange creatures they can use, such as brownies (tiny benign creatures that live in people's homes; think the elves from that shoemaker story).

One thing I find funny is how much more overt they were with the cultural stereotypes of England/The UK in this trailer compared to gen 5 and 6.

• Naming scheme based on knights
  • A starter potentially based on soccer
  • A soccer outfit+Soccer stadium
  • Not-Big Ben

And probably a few more that I missed.

Black and White weren't portrayed as overtly New York/American, X and Y had an Eiffel Tower and a frog starter in its first reveals, but not a whole lot else to signify Paris/France. Alola, meanwhile, was pretty steeped in Hawaiian iconography, but since it's largely a tourist destination to many people around the world, playing into it made a bit more sense. At least the naming scheme wasn't super Hawaiian.

Sword and Shield just seemed to be grabbing you by the shoulders and screaming "SEE?! THIS IS ENGLAND!"

I'm half expecting that the players will be accosted by Chavs and baffled by Scousers.

Edited by Slumber

It's been a long wait but I'm really hyped for these games! 

The starters aren't as appealing as those from gens I-VI but none of them are ugly or anything of the sort. Maybe I just need a while to warm up to them, it was the same with the Alolan starters where I wasn't too keen on any of them but after a while I loved Popplio and it's evolutions. I'm leaning towards Grookey here but we'll see. 

Having a region based on Great Britain was a matter of when rather than if. Regardless, I really love how the region seems like it'll have a colder climate after the 3 tropical ones we've had (ORAS, SM, USUM). The steampunk aesthetic is something relatively fresh for Pokemon but I'm not sure if GF is going to do something with it or if it'll just be eye candy. 

About the main characters...Well, I can say with confidence I'll go with the girl first just like I did in SM. The guy looks pretty good but I just loved the looks of the girl (mostly the hat). Normally I go with the male and then choose female whenever I feel like playing again but since Gen VII I've done the opposite and it seems that's not going to change until the Gen IV remakes.

Then we have the gyms and football stuff. It's nice to see that gyms are back even if I also liked Island Trials quite a bit (mostly the 2 vs 1 stuff, late game it didn't matter but early game it made things pretty challenging) but I'm looking foward to see the gym leaders. I put the football stuff here because I have a hunch that the football stadium is going to be both a gym and also the place where the newest minigame will take place. That reminds me that I really wish the gym leaders are more like the ones in BW where they had other jobs and were more involved in the plot instead of just being static and forgettable bosses (looking at you XY!). 

This is obviously going to be a day 1 purchase for me, even though I'm absolutely certain a 3rd version (or 2nd pair if they follow the USUM path) will come but I'm sure I'll just end up buying those too.

If we are going all-in on the British stuff, hopefully we get some tea and scones as the regional specialty status healing item.

Here's more naming trivia:

• Grookey's Japanese name derives from "nori" which means "excitement/rhythm", which supports my previous theory of it being rhythm themed. Its Chinese names mean "hit sound monkey".
  • Scorbunny's names are all variations of "flame" and rabbit related things, nothing new here. Its Chinese names mean "flame bunny".
  • Sobble's names all relate to crying in some way... except its German name, which calls it a sissy instead. Its Chinese names mean "tearful eye lizard".

43 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

If we are going all-in on the British stuff, hopefully we get some tea and scones as the regional specialty status healing item.

Here's more naming trivia:

• Grookey's Japanese name derives from "nori" which means "excitement/rhythm", which supports my previous theory of it being rhythm themed. Its Chinese names mean "hit sound monkey".
  • Scorbunny's names are all variations of "flame" and rabbit related things, nothing new here. Its Chinese names mean "flame bunny".
  • Sobble's names all relate to crying in some way... except its German name, which calls it a sissy instead. Its Chinese names mean "tearful eye lizard".

Yeah, the "Groo" in "Grookey" seems to indicate "Groove". And I wonder if the Scorch/Score naming scheme of Scorbunny was intentional if English is the only language that indicates it.

3 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

assumedly the Team in this game would be a hooligan squad

The evil team of this gen will just be average soccer fans.

But they turn evil when their team wins. The whole plot will be about making sure a specific soccer team loses so that the hooligans don't go nuts.

I meant to comment in the "leak" thread that King and Queen were most likely fake since they wouldn't use such gendered titles, but I forgot to.

Also the girl trainer is adorable, wow.

So far I'm Shield, girl, Scorbunny.

5 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Being a world history/geography nerd I knew that Galar was based off of Great Britain as soon as the trailer started. The view of the countryside combined with architecture of the buildings was a dead giveaway.

I hate world history/geography and I knew it was based of GB within the first few frames of the trailer. It was just painfully obvious to anyone. On this note, I actually predicted it would be based of Great Britain literally last night at dinner with my friend, and lo and behold!

I really, really, really dislike Scorbunny. It's so ugly. I don't know if it's the eyes, or weird conjoined ears, or the fact it looks like Bugs Bunny or the Trix Rabbit, but I hate the design. I'm hoping it evolves into something cool.

The little water guy Sobble is cute, but still not a hugeeee fan of it. Once again, I think it's the eyes and the little hands which are strange. Invisbility is cool. Maybe psychic or ghost for secondary typing later? One can hope.

And Grookey I like. The eyes (again!) bother me slightly, but otherwise it's my favorite design of the 3! And I thought it had the cutest entrance with banging it's stick against the ground. So I'm guessing either a rock/ground/fighting secondary typing because of that. I'm just hoping he evolves into something along Infernape's line. Fast and powerful versus bulky and slow.

I'll wait for final evolutions (and stats) to determine which one I get though. I wouldn't be surprised if Scorbunny totally changes into something I like later!

Squirtle > Totodile > Treeko > Turtwig > Snivy > Froakie > Rowlett > Grookey(?!).

I've literally never chosen a fire starter as my first (though I did use Infernape/Delphox/Typhlosion/Charizard on my teams)!  But this will either tip the favor for grass or balance it back out with water!

I'm more optimistic for Sword/Shield than I was for Sun/Moon. I really like the look of the region, it seems inspired by the UK and I really like that. I also really like the initial trainer designs! I'm not quite sold on the starters, though; they seem kinda similar to each other in general body shapes and design, feels a little same-y to me. But, who knows how I'll feel after seeing their final forms? Anyway, I'm pretty optimistic and I'm looking forward to hearing more.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Yeah, the "Groo" in "Grookey" seems to indicate "Groove". And I wonder if the Scorch/Score naming scheme of Scorbunny was intentional if English is the only language that indicates it.

The evil team of this gen will just be average soccer fans.

But they turn evil when their team wins. The whole plot will be about making sure a specific soccer team loses so that the hooligans don't go nuts.

As if that's possible

To make the game really accurate, I hope the NPC text becomes more garbled the further away you move from PokeLondon until you finally reach fucking Scotland and they just give up completely

Edited by UNLEASH IT

All I know at this point is that I'll be picking the female trainer again (but that's to be expected at this point). But I wonder if they'll have the ability to buy different clothes like the last two generations did.

it's not rocket science but the map looks to be Great Britain (as in, the big island) flipped vertically. You start in Scotland, the red walled city in the middle is likely to be based on Newcastle, the gym on the pier/riverside is likely Blackpool, the city north of that is Manchester, and at the top of the map is London. there's probably something fitting about scotland being a wilderness.

ireland post game when

I'd say XY was quite French though. Not least in a couple of subtle aspects, such as Torchic download (commemoration of the Gallic Rooster) , or where the Lysandre's ideology and (orientation towards the fashionable) mirrored that of a Nazi sympathizer from 1930s France. Yveltal and Xerneas may have been of Norse origins, but hey, Normandy was named for a reason.

I just hope the battles for this one would be easier and quicker than Sun and Moon. Or at least an option would be available, and the battles more straightforward with simple type machups like in the earlier Gens. I'm really thinking about using my Gen 5-6 Pokemon from the Bank or give up Sun and Moon altogether because of the difficulty and the sluggishness from what some people previously mentioned. Especially after the quick battles from TMSFE and that with the relatively easy level grinding from Persona 4 Golden and Pokemon XY. Just because I'm an adult doesn't mean I have the time to fuck around with complicated gameplay.

And I am betting the evil team to be Brexit-related hooligans.

Edited by henrymidfields

The trailer has me HYPED! Even though I don't own a Switch, I'm so excited! There's a few things I'm kinda hoping for.

1. The Vanillite line should be in Galar's regional dex. IIRC, Vanilluxe was based on some sort of British double-scoop ice cream.
2. Tri Attack as a TM. Come on, Game Freak did it with Let's Go, why not make this cool move even more widespread?
3. Some fantasy element to it. Perhaps something based on Arthurian legend?
4. Perhaps split the region into distinct parts like Kalos/Alola did? We can have a separate dex for Wales, England, Scotland, and maybe even Ireland!

That's all I could think of for now. I'm really loving the design of it. The world looks so BIG! Nintendo's really upping their worldbuilding in the Switch. Just look at Odyssey, BotW, and even the Three Houses trailer! I'm so excited!