Pokémon Sword and Shield News and Discussion: Isle of Armor out now

Lightchao42

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I've just only ever heard of females having that name, personally.

I believe since Gen 6 most of the important characters have been named after vegetation of some sort be it plants/flowers/fruits/vegetables/etc. I do find it strange they went with Rose for a man, but as someone else said it’s implied to be his surname, at least in English. In Japanese he’s not even referred to as “Chairman Rose” but rather just “Rose”. That being said, I’d take the name Rose over what poor Alistar got... he’s known as “Onion” in Japan.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Silverly said:

I believe since Gen 6 most of the important characters have been named after vegetation of some sort be it plants/flowers/fruits/vegetables/etc. I do find it strange they went with Rose for a man, but as someone else said it’s implied to be his surname, at least in English. In Japanese he’s not even referred to as “Chairman Rose” but rather just “Rose”. That being said, I’d take the name Rose over what poor Alistar got... he’s known as “Onion” in Japan.

Huh, I see. ...Onion? Oh geez, that is so weird, yeah.

2 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Yes he is Bede, i always struggle whit the names of pokemon's characters. I only remember the italian name of half of them, and the english name of the other half.

Bede is rather appropriate for a Galar region trainer. The "Venerable Bede", was a 8th Century saint and theologian who became known as the "Father of English History". He also helped establish the term "AD" for Christian labeling of time.

2 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

The draw distance at its finest.

The way that Steelix pops out! I'm more used to pop-in where the monsters fade into being, not spring out of the ground. How did the trainer not have their head smashed to bits?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

5 hours ago, Flere210 said:

I love how much of an ass Beet is. I named my Trubbish after him. I just started and i have decided nothing of my final team except for corviknight(too bad there is not single female KoTR, they should learn from the matters of France that had Bradamante)

Kay/Kei's name is considered female now.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Bede is rather appropriate for a Galar region trainer. The "Venerable Bede", was a 8th Century saint and theologian who became known as the "Father of English History". He also helped establish the term "AD" for Christian labeling of time.

I now feel bad because my thesis supervisor was obsessed whit medieval philosophy and i know well who he is, but i totally missed the reference.

On 11/15/2019 at 2:44 AM, Dai said:

This is GameFrEAk’s revenge for daring to speak out against them, instead of consuming product and getting excited for next product.

I'm honestly hoping you're joking about this silly conspiracy theory of sabotaging Switches because of toxic harassment hitting the company over a small PR lie, even though they know well there are people more forgiving of them/have no idea of the controversy and having them caught in the crossfire would be cruel. That's ridiculous, and it's not like Pokemon hasn't had similar issues before (saving in Lumiose City in X and Y comes to mind). Worst part is someone found out some Pokemon models like Noibat had minor improvements too in their models, so even if it's small, it's still technically no lie. People jumped the gun and got picky about quality.

Personally, speaking as someone who looked forward to the game (and someone with low standards for entertainment), 3 gyms in and I think the game is pretty good. Music is great, opponents are not so soft so you need to level up when you can (from my perspective), character customization is pretty great and the aesthetic of the cities is pretty lovely. Some small annoyances here and there, but I think it's good for what it is.

1 minute ago, NoirCore said:

I'm honestly hoping you're joking about this silly conspiracy theory

I would have thought paraphrasing a meme would have given it away. To be honest, I find it more likely that something simply went wrong during development, and they tried to simply get done what they could. It's no less aggravating for me.

26 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

character customization is pretty great

I admittedly had 38 hours when I finished the game because I spent an obscene amount of time on character customization and league card updates.

------------

Wish the bad guys (not saying who they are in case people don't know by now) had an actual setup instead of being randomly tacked on at the end. Maybe that way I would actually like two particular characters more instead of adding them to the list of wasted potential of this game.

Also wish dungeons, like the hideouts of team rocket, distortion world, the pokemon tower, mt coronet, or anything really, were in the game. It would've been nice to have something explore and work you're way through instead of having the entire game be on rails + shallow wild area.

--------------

4 hours ago, zuibangde said:

So i'm wondering...is asking for trades allowed here?

Wouldn't trade requests be better put on the wi-fi topic?

27 minutes ago, Dai said:

I would have thought paraphrasing a meme would have given it away. To be honest, I find it more likely that something simply went wrong during development, and they tried to simply get done what they could. It's no less aggravating for me.

Dunno that meme, but eh, fair. Honestly, I'd like to get an understanding of the development process behind the game. Did working on Let's Go hinder the project? How does the process of bringing models into the game work? Bunch of questions someone who is tech-savvy can reliably evaluate. Maybe.

@NegativeExponents-Same for me. I keep switching up colors and blowing lots of money on new clothes in-game because I'm indecisive on fashion.. 😛

I do agree the trainer customization is great and the league cards are fun too! I already gave my trainer a new hair style and color and stuff. XD

Edited by Anacybele

II got the game since I was in a Pokemon mood. My expectations weren't at their highest though since the weeks before launch has been a bit of a disaster pr wise. Lots of negative news and gamefreak might have avoided some of it if they did't seem to go out of their way to give the worst answers possible. Perhaps the low expectations where for the best though since I am pleasantly surprised so far.

A few of my thoughts on the things that had me worried or just some thoughts in general.

EXP Share
Not quite the disaster I thought it would be. Throughout my playthough my (non starter) pokemon have been at my opponents level or even slightly below that. I do admit that I've ran a bit more often at the start of the game because I did not want to be overleveled, but all in all i'm surprised that the game is keeping up with me. It leaves me a bit confused about the BS pr response about most people leaving it on. Just saying that they tried to rebalance the game around it would have been a much better response.

Difficulty
So far Sword and shield is pretty easy, but again not as bad as I thought it'd be. Its easier then I wanted it to be, but its not the autopilot that X/Y was. I thought the Fire gym in particular was pretty good. Not difficult, but Ninetales and Arcanine are decently though at that point in the game and they both had different kind of skillsets.

Setting
The region is pretty cool. I liked most of the places, the new pokemon are mostly to my liking (Nickit really sucks ingame though) and I hope Gamefreak keeps the trainer card feature for future games. It gives gym leaders just a little extra info.

The wild Area
So far i've found the wild area to be a little lacking. Most of the pokemon you see in a area are the same kind of pokemon multiple times. Seeing only delibirds and one or two other pokemon means some area's are very skipworthy after 5 seconds. I think its a good way to test the waters, but the wild area itself is a bit meh.

So far my team is mostly complete. All that is left for me is to find a good psychic pokemon to replace my Orbeetle. My original choice was Espurr, but I seemed to have missed it. Now i'm just waiting for another good one to appear.

I still think getting all worked up over one texture in the game is ridiculous. It's honestly the only one that I thought didn't look right.

Anyway, I'm past the first gym now (I didn't play yesterday, that's why I'm only just now this far) and I've since added Purrloin and Blipbug which is now Dottler to the team, named Adrien and Marinette respectively to continue the Miraculous naming theme, of course.

Fluff/Scorbunny and Alya/Nickit have evolved now as well and the team is at an average of lv. 20. I'm enjoying the game, honestly! 🙂 I'm probably going to eventually swap out Adrien, I think, because Alya is turning out better so far. But it's still nice to use them both for now! I want to use the apple dragon Pokemon and of course, Galarian Rapidash later anyway. I gotta get a trade for the latter asap. lol

I've got quite a Miraculous team, in any case! XD

Edited by Anacybele

9 hours ago, Sasori said:

II got the game since I was in a Pokemon mood. My expectations weren't at their highest though since the weeks before launch has been a bit of a disaster pr wise. Lots of negative news and gamefreak might have avoided some of it if they did't seem to go out of their way to give the worst answers possible. Perhaps the low expectations where for the best though since I am pleasantly surprised so far.

A few of my thoughts on the things that had me worried or just some thoughts in general.

EXP Share
Not quite the disaster I thought it would be. Throughout my playthough my (non starter) pokemon have been at my opponents level or even slightly below that. I do admit that I've ran a bit more often at the start of the game because I did not want to be overleveled, but all in all i'm surprised that the game is keeping up with me. It leaves me a bit confused about the BS pr response about most people leaving it on. Just saying that they tried to rebalance the game around it would have been a much better response.

Difficulty
So far Sword and shield is pretty easy, but again not as bad as I thought it'd be. Its easier then I wanted it to be, but its not the autopilot that X/Y was. I thought the Fire gym in particular was pretty good. Not difficult, but Ninetales and Arcanine are decently though at that point in the game and they both had different kind of skillsets.

Setting
The region is pretty cool. I liked most of the places, the new pokemon are mostly to my liking (Nickit really sucks ingame though) and I hope Gamefreak keeps the trainer card feature for future games. It gives gym leaders just a little extra info.

The wild Area
So far i've found the wild area to be a little lacking. Most of the pokemon you see in a area are the same kind of pokemon multiple times. Seeing only delibirds and one or two other pokemon means some area's are very skipworthy after 5 seconds. I think its a good way to test the waters, but the wild area itself is a bit meh.

So far my team is mostly complete. All that is left for me is to find a good psychic pokemon to replace my Orbeetle. My original choice was Espurr, but I seemed to have missed it. Now i'm just waiting for another good one to appear.

The Pokémon found in the Wild Area are supposed to rotate. I think it happens with the weather changes.

Seems like having mods with all the cut pokemon in might not be so impossible after all since apparently importing previous models isn't too hard.

Combined with an improved graphics mod like the tree mod we might actually be able to eventually play a graphically appealing game with all the mons in it to boot.

So how easy/stress-free are the normal battles and exp grinding this time? I've ditched Sun/Moon, because they were anything but and I don't have time to fuck around when I now have actual commitments in life.

Edited by henrymidfields

13 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I still think getting all worked up over one texture in the game is ridiculous. It's honestly the only one that I thought didn't look right.

Ana, the issues of this game are more than just get a dumb texture over copy and paste trees. If it was just the only problem with Sword and Shield, no one would give a shit. Maybe make a few memes about it but that's it. 

1 hour ago, Nym said:

Ana, the issues of this game are more than just get a dumb texture over copy and paste trees. If it was just the only problem with Sword and Shield, no one would give a shit. Maybe make a few memes about it but that's it.

Then say you have more issues with the game, don't complain about one texture and then just leave it at that.

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Then say you have more issues with the game, don't complain about one texture and then just leave it at that.

It's more of a collective grievance, though. The main reason Dexit became such an issue in the first place was GameFrEAk's statement that Pokemon were being cut in order to make better visuals and higher-quality animations. So, when you have visuals that are roughly on par, if not worse than the 3DS games, we find it hard to believe they're actually being cut for that purpose. The tree is one such example, being textured like something literally out of the Nintendo 64, not to mention the draw distance that's arguably just as bad, if not worse than an N64 game. And really, all this stuff, and more, has already been said.

8 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Seems like having mods with all the cut pokemon in might not be so impossible after all since apparently importing previous models isn't too hard.

Combined with an improved graphics mod like the tree mod we might actually be able to eventually play a graphically appealing game with all the mons in it to boot.

SING PRAISE!

SING PRAISE!

If course it starts with blessed Helix.

40 minutes ago, Dai said:

It's more of a collective grievance, though. The main reason Dexit became such an issue in the first place was GameFrEAk's statement that Pokemon were being cut in order to make better visuals and higher-quality animations. So, when you have visuals that are roughly on par, if not worse than the 3DS games, we find it hard to believe they're actually being cut for that purpose. The tree is one such example, being textured like something literally out of the Nintendo 64, not to mention the draw distance that's arguably just as bad, if not worse than an N64 game. And really, all this stuff, and more, has already been said.

That's still one tree among a whole bunch of graphics. There are still plenty of graphics in the games that look good. That tree is questionable, but everything else looks good to me besides maybe one or two animations. You have to consider not just in-battle models and animations, but cutscenes, the camping stuff, and everything else to do with the graphics and animating.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Oh trust me, I have complainned more than just the tree texture.

Mutiple times, and not just here on SF.

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

That's still one tree among a whole bunch of graphics. There are still plenty of graphics in the games that look good. That tree is questionable, but everything else looks good to me besides maybe one or two animations. You have to consider not just in-battle models and animations, but cutscenes, the camping stuff, and everything else to do with the graphics and animating.

.....I mean, the Ocarina tree shows up in more than one place. 😛