Pokémon Sword and Shield News and Discussion: Isle of Armor out now

Lightchao42

To be fair, there isn't much to nerf overall besides Aegislash (and frankly it's biggest nerf is Excadrill becoming one of the faces of the meta), most additions were buffs, with one that acted as nerfs. Intimidate now gets blocked by a bunch of abilities like Oblivious and Inner Focus.

Rapid Spin is 50 power (up from 20) and raises Speed by 1 stage, making it both utility and a buffing move. Given Pursuit's absence meaning Ghosts got a buff, this isn't really that busted or anything. Plus it's main users either aren't super amazing or don't require the buff to be fast (Excadrill vastly prefers having Sand already up).
Multi-Attack, Silvally's signature move, is up from 90 power to 120. It's now actually worth using.
Defog now removes Terrain as well.
Howl now boosts all allied Attack stat by 1, previously it was a self only buff by 1. Still... probably won't be used by literally anyone given, y'know, Max Fighting.

The only nerfed move is, surprise, King's Shield, another Aegislash nerf. It now only gives the attacker -1 to Attack rather than -2 upon being hit by a contact move.

The abilities Inner Focus, Oblivious, Own Tempo, and Scrappy (weird choice but it's not like theres a Ghost Intimidater) now all block Intimidate's effect on the user.
Rattled also activates when the user is hit by Intimidate (basically makes it the same as the Adrenaline Orb, but multi use).

Flash Fire, Harvest, Lightning Rod, and Storm Drain all now increase the chance of encountering a Pokemon of their respective type, similar to Static and Magnet Pull before them.

Moody no longer affects Evasion/Accuracy stats.

Infiltrator reduces the amount of wild Pokemon encounters when lead in the party (Cleanse Tag effect, iirc Stench too)
Super Luck increases the chance a wild Pokemon encountered will be holding an item when in the lead (Compound Eyes secondary effect).
Synchronize is now a 100% guarantee that the wild encounter will be the same nature as the lead, but doesn't affect Gift/Event Pokemon any more (It's really only unfortunately for the Fossils but they can be SR'd easily).

Oh, and regular Weezing got G Weezing's new ability too, Neutralizing Gas, as a secondary regular ability.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading this, why dont they balance the pokemon? Some older mons could seriously use some stat boosts. I suppose it's simply laziness on their end, if anything. Could make competitive battling actually fun. 

Also, the changes to the pokemon powers are pretty neat.

So, my Pokedex still has three holes left to fill (Flapple, Passimian, and of course Zacian) and I'd kinda like that Shiny Charm. If anyone who owns Sword and/or a complete dex is willing to provide me those three, I'd be very grateful. If you also happen to need their counterparts for your dex (Appletun, Oranguru, Zamazenta), then I'd be happy to trade you those as well.

With the box legends at least, we'd only briefly exchange them before sending them back for obvious reasons.

So I caught this Rufflet that had a yellow aura around it. I'd never seen a Pokemon like that in the game before. I'm thinking it means it's higher leveled? Because it was lv. 41 while other Rufflet I came across were lower level. Can someone else confirm this?

Whatever the case though, I named it Ike and it'll be traded to Shield whenever I can make use of Pokemon Home (and when I do a playthrough of Shield in the first place). I'm still making my Sword run strictly Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir themed. I'm about done with my semester in college, btw, so I'll be playing more often than I have been soon! Well, a little. There's still Christmas-related stuff to get through too. lol

Oh, and fittingly, Ike the Rufflet has an Atk increasing nature! So awesome.

Edited by Anacybele

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Reading this, why dont they balance the pokemon? Some older mons could seriously use some stat boosts. I suppose it's simply laziness on their end, if anything. Could make competitive battling actually fun. 

Also, the changes to the pokemon powers are pretty neat.

That's sort of what Regional forms are for, I think because a MASSIVE stat shift for some Pokemon might be a bit too much, and could take away the identity the Pokemon already has. All of the regional forms have improved competitive viability even though type changes and minor stat redistributions alone. It's be nice to get some more per game or adjust older mons, but with the Dex cut, it's actually making some Pokemon MUCH more viable in high level play than they've been for the last 2 gens.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

So I caught this Rufflet that had a yellow aura around it. I'd never seen a Pokemon like that in the game before. I'm thinking it means it's higher leveled? Because it was lv. 41 while other Rufflet I came across were lower level. Can someone else confirm this?

Whatever the case though, I named it Ike and it'll be traded to Shield whenever I can make use of Pokemon Home (and when I do a playthrough of Shield in the first place). I'm still making my Sword run strictly Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir themed. I'm about done with my semester in college, btw, so I'll be playing more often than I have been soon! Well, a little. There's still Christmas-related stuff to get through too. lol

Oh, and fittingly, Ike the Rufflet has an Atk increasing nature! So awesome.

The yellow aura is called "Brilliant" Pokemon, I believe. Either way, they appear occasionally by chance and they have more perfect IVs, and occasionally Egg moves. You can get them to appear more frequently by chaining encounters which I don't know the specifics of.

Frankly, they're wholly overshadowed compared to Raid Pokemon which have way more perfect IVs at higher level raids and can learn the Egg Moves anyways thanks to the new Egg move passing.

4 minutes ago, Emerson said:

The yellow aura is called "Brilliant" Pokemon, I believe. Either way, they appear occasionally by chance and they have more perfect IVs, and occasionally Egg moves. You can get them to appear more frequently by chaining encounters which I don't know the specifics of.

Frankly, they're wholly overshadowed compared to Raid Pokemon which have way more perfect IVs at higher level raids and can learn the Egg Moves anyways thanks to the new Egg move passing.

Oh! So I actually got a rather lucky catch then! Awesome! Figures that raid Pokemon would still be better though. But I don't know how often I'd be able to do raids anyway. I still haven't paid for online yet (I was going to, but then I had to quit the job I had).

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Oh! So I actually got a rather lucky catch then! Awesome! Figures that raid Pokemon would still be better though. But I don't know how often I'd be able to do raids anyway. I still haven't paid for online yet (I was going to, but then I had to quit the job I had).

Once you're in the postgame, doing 4 star and some 5 star raids should be fine if yu have type effective moves and most should be pretty easy once you're level 100. But some 5 star raids are veeeeery hard with the AI characters bring randomized. Thankfully, you can do it as many times as possible until the daily reset, and should you succeed, Gigantamax Raids in offline play actually have guaranteed capture rate, or so I've been told, meaning you won't be going through hell more than once just to catch one. Most other 4-5 star raids have decent catch rates and will rarely fail should you be above their level (they're 60-70 for 5*, around 50-60 for 4*, and level does affect the capture chance in SwSh for all captures).

4 minutes ago, Emerson said:

Once you're in the postgame, doing 4 star and some 5 star raids should be fine if yu have type effective moves and most should be pretty easy once you're level 100. But some 5 star raids are veeeeery hard with the AI characters bring randomized. Thankfully, you can do it as many times as possible until the daily reset, and should you succeed, Gigantamax Raids in offline play actually have guaranteed capture rate, or so I've been told, meaning you won't be going through hell more than once just to catch one. Most other 4-5 star raids have decent catch rates and will rarely fail should you be above their level (they're 60-70 for 5*, around 50-60 for 4*, and level does affect the capture chance in SwSh for all captures).

Oh okay, I see then. Good to know! I might try those once I complete the main story.

9 hours ago, Emerson said:

That's sort of what Regional forms are for, I think because a MASSIVE stat shift for some Pokemon might be a bit too much, and could take away the identity the Pokemon already has. All of the regional forms have improved competitive viability even though type changes and minor stat redistributions alone. It's be nice to get some more per game or adjust older mons, but with the Dex cut, it's actually making some Pokemon MUCH more viable in high level play than they've been for the last 2 gens.

I think a massive stat shift is what pokemon like Pidgeot who is supposed to fly at mach speed, need. You cant really fly at mach speed with a 95 speed base, which is why I think pokemon like that need to be buffed. I understand why they did what they did, and I'm not saying it's wrong, just a tad disappointing, is all.

16 hours ago, Emerson said:

You were told wrong. I had to soft-reset to catch my Centiskorch-G and Corviknight-G because they kept breaking out, and I refuse to pay for NSO on principle.

Never mind; I just saw the citation above. Both of those are event den Pokémon.

Edited by Seafarer

Well, I certainly never was completely demolished by a gym leader until now. How embarrassing is that. In my defense though, I was not at all expecting to challenge a Rock type gym in a snowy cold city, and then I got caught off guard again when Gordie started with Barbaracle while I only had a Water type and Ground type to use against Rock types. Barbaracle takes neutral damage from water, and also being Water type itself, it easily knocks out Ground.

But I'm proud of myself for the way I'm handling this. I felt upset at myself for that embarrassing performance, but took a few moments to calm down so I didn't get super frustrated or go ranting that it was BS or something. I've needed to work on my bad habit of easily getting frustrated and annoyed at things and this was a step forward there.

I think the reason I've had such a habit for so long is that one of my biggest fears is failure and being ridiculed or discouraged by others for it. In fact, failure may be my biggest fear period. But I gotta keep in mind that I'm not going to get made fun of for every little thing I do wrong. That's silly (even though I HAVE been made fun of for petty reasons before).

Anyway, as for what to do in Sword now... I got beat so bad that none of my Pokemon withstood even one hit from that Barbaracle. I blame Shell Smash. Though I didn't expect ONE Shell Smash use would make it outspeed even my Boltund, Thievul, and Cinderace. They're all extremely fast. In fact, I seem to be thinking a lot of Pokemon are slower than they really are lately. -_-

So it looks like I'd have to grind a lot or grab a Grass type Pokemon. Ugh. >_> I did forget I had apple dragon in the box though, and I never evolved it. I should go get that item that Applin evolves with and get my Flapple, at least. And it's also Dragon type, so it may come in handy against the last gym too...provided those dragons don't KO it first.

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Well, I certainly never was completely demolished by a gym leader until now. How embarrassing is that. In my defense though, I was not at all expecting to challenge a Rock type gym in a snowy cold city, and then I got caught off guard again when Gordie started with Barbaracle while I only had a Water type and Ground type to use against Rock types. Barbaracle takes neutral damage from water, and also being Water type itself, it easily knocks out Ground.

Yeah, that gym makes a lot more sense in Shield where it actually is an Ice-type gym (where it's instead run by Gordie's mother). Though even if you fought her, you might've still had problems since her ace is a G-Max Lapras that packs both Surf and Ice Beam while its special G-Max move essentially sets up both Reflect and Light Screen. And even before that, there's her Zen Mode Galarian Darmanitan that'll become a complete terror if you knock it below 50% HP but don't one-shot it (it only has 160 base Atk coupled with 135 base Spd....and it becomes an Ice/Fire type).

But anyways as for Gordie, yeah be sure to either bring a competent Grass-type next time or see if you can get one of your pre-existing team members to learn a decent enough Grass-type move (for one, Thievul can learn Grass Knot if you can find a TR for it). With either of those, that Barbaracle shouldn't live nearly long enough to cause any destruction. Though, be warned that a Grass-type isn't going to help you much against Gordie's ace (I wouldn't say what it is unless you want me to).

6 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Yeah, that gym makes a lot more sense in Shield where it actually is an Ice-type gym (where it's instead run by Gordie's mother). Though even if you fought her, you might've still had problems since her ace is a G-Max Lapras that packs both Surf and Ice Beam while its special G-Max move essentially sets up both Reflect and Light Screen. And even before that, there's her Zen Mode Galarian Darmanitan that'll become a complete terror if you knock it below 50% HP but don't one-shot it (it only has 160 base Atk coupled with 135 base Spd....and it becomes an Ice/Fire type).

But anyways as for Gordie, yeah be sure to either bring a competent Grass-type next time or see if you can get one of your pre-existing team members to learn a decent enough Grass-type move (for one, Thievul can learn Grass Knot if you can find a TR for it). With either of those, that Barbaracle shouldn't live nearly long enough to cause any destruction. Though, be warned that a Grass-type isn't going to help you much against Gordie's ace (I wouldn't say what it is unless you want me to).

Yeah, I'm still leveling up my new Flapple. It's lv. 30 now. The Wild Area is a great place to level up Pokemon once you're able to KO the higher level wild ones easily. Flapple hasn't learned a Grass type move yet though. But maybe it can still resist Barbaracle enough with its typing to defeat it. It did learn Dragon Claw and Dragon Dance.

I've not found any TRs, actually...

Speaking of level grinding anyone else a bit mixed on how this game uses gen 5’s xp system? I mean it’s not nearly as bad as how SM handled it thanks to raids and such but it’s still kinda weird.

also Dynamax Gyarados is dumb. Who at game freak thought that was okay?!?!

Edited by Ottservia

26 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I'm still leveling up my new Flapple. It's lv. 30 now. The Wild Area is a great place to level up Pokemon once you're able to KO the higher level wild ones easily. Flapple hasn't learned a Grass type move yet though. But maybe it can still resist Barbaracle enough with its typing to defeat it. It did learn Dragon Claw and Dragon Dance.

I've not found any TRs, actually...

Flapple will get a Grass move in just two more levels if you haven't already gotten it to 32 by now.

You can get TRs by buying them with Watts from a Watt Trader (there's one at the Meetup Spot, Dappled Grove, East Lake Axewell, Giant's Seat, Bridge Field, Giant's Cap, and Hammerlocke Hills). Each of their stocks rotates daily I believe. You can also typically get a couple TRs (2 to 4) from beating Max Raids and the TRs are usually of the same type as the Pokemon you fought.

If you're interested, I can trade you a spare Grass Knot TR along with a Shield exclusive (or some other Pokemon you're interested in) of your choosing. All I'd want in return is a Passimian (it's found in the Glimwood Tangle if you haven't caught it already) specifically as it's one of the last two I need to complete the dex (the other one is something you couldn't provide me yet).

20 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Flapple will get a Grass move in just two more levels if you haven't already gotten it to 32 by now.

I actually just did. XD And it's a pretty cool move too!

I also just caught a Bellossom if Flapple somehow doesn't work out.

20 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

You can get TRs by buying them with Watts from a Watt Trader (there's one at the Meetup Spot, Dappled Grove, East Lake Axewell, Giant's Seat, Bridge Field, Giant's Cap, and Hammerlocke Hills). Each of their stocks rotates daily I believe. You can also typically get a couple TRs (2 to 4) from beating Max Raids and the TRs are usually of the same type as the Pokemon you fought.

If you're interested, I can trade you a spare Grass Knot TR along with a Shield exclusive (or some other Pokemon you're interested in) of your choosing. All I'd want in return is a Passimian (it's found in the Glimwood Tangle if you haven't caught it already) specifically as it's one of the last two I need to complete the dex (the other one is something you couldn't provide me yet).

Oh, is that the only way to get TRs? I did find those traders, yeah.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:06 PM, Emerson said:

To be fair, there isn't much to nerf overall besides Aegislash (and frankly it's biggest nerf is Excadrill becoming one of the faces of the meta), most additions were buffs, with one that acted as nerfs. Intimidate now gets blocked by a bunch of abilities like Oblivious and Inner Focus.

Rapid Spin is 50 power (up from 20) and raises Speed by 1 stage, making it both utility and a buffing move. Given Pursuit's absence meaning Ghosts got a buff, this isn't really that busted or anything. Plus it's main users either aren't super amazing or don't require the buff to be fast (Excadrill vastly prefers having Sand already up).
Multi-Attack, Silvally's signature move, is up from 90 power to 120. It's now actually worth using.
Defog now removes Terrain as well.
Howl now boosts all allied Attack stat by 1, previously it was a self only buff by 1. Still... probably won't be used by literally anyone given, y'know, Max Fighting.

The only nerfed move is, surprise, King's Shield, another Aegislash nerf. It now only gives the attacker -1 to Attack rather than -2 upon being hit by a contact move.

The abilities Inner Focus, Oblivious, Own Tempo, and Scrappy (weird choice but it's not like theres a Ghost Intimidater) now all block Intimidate's effect on the user.
Rattled also activates when the user is hit by Intimidate (basically makes it the same as the Adrenaline Orb, but multi use).

Flash Fire, Harvest, Lightning Rod, and Storm Drain all now increase the chance of encountering a Pokemon of their respective type, similar to Static and Magnet Pull before them.

Moody no longer affects Evasion/Accuracy stats.

Infiltrator reduces the amount of wild Pokemon encounters when lead in the party (Cleanse Tag effect, iirc Stench too)
Super Luck increases the chance a wild Pokemon encountered will be holding an item when in the lead (Compound Eyes secondary effect).
Synchronize is now a 100% guarantee that the wild encounter will be the same nature as the lead, but doesn't affect Gift/Event Pokemon any more (It's really only unfortunately for the Fossils but they can be SR'd easily).

Oh, and regular Weezing got G Weezing's new ability too, Neutralizing Gas, as a secondary regular ability.

I see. But wasn't Excadrill already OU anyway (aside from Gen 5, where it was banned, but I read that ban was undone)?

Anyway...

Are there any really tricky evolutions I should know about?

14 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Anyway...

Are there any really tricky evolutions I should know about?

To get Inkay to evolve at lv30 into Malmar hold the Switch upside down undocked (not on a TV) while also not using a pro controller. The switch itself doesn't have the gyroscope inside it, the joycons do so I'm unsure if you can just prop up your switch while holding the joy cons upside down but it definitely won't work with the pro controller. So make sure the pro is turned off. 

Yamask who now has a Galar form has a special requirement too. (The non-galar form can be obtained from a trade with an NPC just like Kanto Meowth). In order to evolve it, have it take 50 or more damage in a single battle and then walk under the arch way in the Dusty Bowl wild area and the cutscenes for it to evolve will trigger automatically. It is the large archway. Regarding specific details, weather damage doesn't count toward the 50. I'm unsure if you have to battle in the Dusty Bowl or if you could battle somewhere else and then fly there. Time of day is not relevant. Also Yamask has to survive the battle so having it get fainted and then reviving outside of battle then walking over won't work. Just for reference I'll mention how I got mine to evolve.

I had just caught him so he was under leveled compared to the wild Pokemon in that grass. I bump into a Growlithe with him as the lead and he took a crunch/bite that dropped his HP from the 70s down to 1 (I let him hold the focus sash). I switched out and beat the wild one with another team member the after the battle walked under the arch way and the cutscenes triggered.

Milcery into Alcremie has over 63 variations. If you want all of them it is gonna take some mad grinding. Here is how to get that ball rolling. 

First you need the 7 different hold item choices. You get to battle a cafe daily in both Motostoke and Hammerlocke cities. There is a chance you'll be rewarded one of those items. The hold item is a heart, a clover, a star, a flower, a ribbon, a blue berry, and strawberry. All of them have the word sweet in the name. 

Rotating your joystick for a few seconds will trigger a little animation where you character strikes a pose. This is the key to evolving. So now get your Milcery holding one of those 7 items at any level and spin.

If you rotate your stick just enough to trigger the animation and stop there you'll get first set of variations. If you rotate the stick and continue to spin for 5 or more seconds you'll get the 2nd set of variations. Keep in mind your character has to actually being in that one ballet position while spinning and that is when the timer starts. 

7 items using these combos will get you a different color scheme while spinning in a certain direction

Clockwise during the day x7

Clockwise 5+sec during day x7

Clockwise during night x7

Clockwise 5+sec during night x7

Counterclockwise during day x7

Counterclockwise 5+sec during day x7

Counterclockwise during night x7

Counterclockwise 5+sec during night x7

Counterclockwise 10+sec during DUSK x7 (dusk in-game is when the background is orange-ish sun setting color)

That is pretty much the more difficult Pokemon. Eevee got easier since you can use a leaf or ice stone to get those eveelutions now.

18 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

Yamask who now has a Galar form has a special requirement too. (The non-galar form can be obtained from a trade with an NPC just like Kanto Meowth). In order to evolve it, have it take 50 or more damage in a single battle and then walk under the arch way in the Dusty Bowl wild area and the cutscenes for it to evolve will trigger automatically. It is the large archway. Regarding specific details, weather damage doesn't count toward the 50. I'm unsure if you have to battle in the Dusty Bowl or if you could battle somewhere else and then fly there. Time of day is not relevant. Also Yamask has to survive the battle so having it get fainted and then reviving outside of battle then walking over won't work. Just for reference I'll mention how I got mine to evolve.

You can battle anywhere. I just had it fight something in the same place I caught it until it took enough damage, then went to the Dusty Bowl.

Also @Shadow Mir anything with a day/night evolution requirement will only evolve in the Wild Area.

18 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

To get Inkay to evolve at lv30 into Malmar hold the Switch upside down undocked (not on a TV) while also not using a pro controller. The switch itself doesn't have the gyroscope inside it, the joycons do so I'm unsure if you can just prop up your switch while holding the joy cons upside down but it definitely won't work with the pro controller. So make sure the pro is turned off. 

I had just caught him so he was under leveled compared to the wild Pokemon in that grass. I bump into a Growlithe with him as the lead and he took a crunch/bite that dropped his HP from the 70s down to 1 (I let him hold the focus sash). I switched out and beat the wild one with another team member the after the battle walked under the arch way and the cutscenes triggered.

Milcery into Alcremie has over 63 variations. If you want all of them it is gonna take some mad grinding. Here is how to get that ball rolling. 

First you need the 7 different hold item choices. You get to battle a cafe daily in both Motostoke and Hammerlocke cities. There is a chance you'll be rewarded one of those items. The hold item is a heart, a clover, a star, a flower, a ribbon, a blue berry, and strawberry. All of them have the word sweet in the name. 

Rotating your joystick for a few seconds will trigger a little animation where you character strikes a pose. This is the key to evolving. So now get your Milcery holding one of those 7 items at any level and spin.

If you rotate your stick just enough to trigger the animation and stop there you'll get first set of variations. If you rotate the stick and continue to spin for 5 or more seconds you'll get the 2nd set of variations. Keep in mind your character has to actually being in that one ballet position while spinning and that is when the timer starts. 

7 items using these combos will get you a different color scheme while spinning in a certain direction

Clockwise during the day x7

Clockwise 5+sec during day x7

Clockwise during night x7

Clockwise 5+sec during night x7

Counterclockwise during day x7

Counterclockwise 5+sec during day x7

Counterclockwise during night x7

Counterclockwise 5+sec during night x7

Counterclockwise 10+sec during DUSK x7 (dusk in-game is when the background is orange-ish sun setting color)

That is pretty much the more difficult Pokemon. Eevee got easier since you can use a leaf or ice stone to get those eveelutions now.

2 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

You can battle anywhere. I just had it fight something in the same place I caught it until it took enough damage, then went to the Dusty Bowl.

Also @Shadow Mir anything with a day/night evolution requirement will only evolve in the Wild Area.

I see. Thanks for the info.

Speaking of Eevee... how do you raise affection this time?

Just now, Shadow Mir said:

I see. Thanks for the info.

Speaking of Eevee... how do you raise affection this time?

I believe affection and happiness are now the same thing. So if you want Espeon or Umbreon, don't teach your Eevee any Fairy-type moves.

15 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

I believe affection and happiness are now the same thing. So if you want Espeon or Umbreon, don't teach your Eevee any Fairy-type moves.

Alright. 

Another Eevee question: where can I catch it? And for something different: what Synchronize mons are in this game?

44 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Alright. 

Another Eevee question: where can I catch it? And for something different: what Synchronize mons are in this game?

Eevee is caught on Route 4 (the small area right before the first Gym). It's a fairly low chance but since it's an overworld spawn it doesn't take too long to reset the area and try again.

As for Synchronizers, we have...
Natu, Ralts, Munna, Elgyem and Indeedee. Also Mew, Espeon and Umbreon but they aren't noteworthy for Synchronize users.

On an unrelated note...