Pokémon Sword and Shield News and Discussion: Isle of Armor out now

Lightchao42

When I saw that the first expansion was called Isle of Armour and heard its premise, I thought it sounded neat: there's a ton of British Folklore (mostly Welsh and Scottish) of young warriors going to an isle to train under a former champion. It's cool that we're kind-of getting that, but it could've seemed a little more... British? I don't know; the dojo and the legendary being a karate expert just seemed rather out-of-place. 

Speaking of which, why is the mascot legendary for the Isle of Armour expansion completely unarmoured? The Crown Tundra legendary has a crown; why does the Isle of Armour legendary essentially have a karate outfit? I must admit, I would've expected something that looked more like this:

Spoiler

Image result for legend of zelda darknutImage result for legend of zelda darknutImage result for fire emblem black knight

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, a post-game that looks more massive than any we've seen in the series before other than the Johto games

Does it though? All I see is another wild area (tbf, something SwSh needed) and an excuse to justify bringing back cut mons.

SwSh didn't have a lot of content to begin with so it's understandable to be wary.

Edited by Armagon

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Does it though? All I see is another wild area (tbf, something SwSh needed) and an excuse to justify bringing back cut mons.

SwSh didn't have a lot of content to begin with so it's understandable to be wary.

Yes. There are TWO new areas, both of which were said to be even bigger than the Wild Area. New stories and legendaries to catch, new characters to meet, etc.

Landorus-T is coming back.... WTF?!?!? I THOUGHT WE WERE RID OF THAT ASSHOLE FOR GOOD!!!!!!!

Also Volcarona with heavy duty boots. Game freak was just like balance? What the fuck is balance?!

You know, in terms of the new Gigantamax...I think, hands down, Inteleon is the worse. Just...what is going on here. Is he standing on a tower? Did his legs grow? He just looks so...dumb.

Venusaur and Blastoise look amazing, with the latter essentially embodying "MORE DAKKA"

22 minutes ago, Dai said:

You know, in terms of the new Gigantamax...I think, hands down, Inteleon is the worse. Just...what is going on here. Is he standing on a tower? Did his legs grow? He just looks so...dumb.

Venusaur and Blastoise look amazing, with the latter essentially embodying "MORE DAKKA"

It's a sniper tower, paired with his finger gun extending to look like a long-barreled rifle. It's thematic if nothing else.

7 minutes ago, Ether said:

It's a sniper tower, paired with his finger gun extending to look like a long-barreled rifle. It's thematic if nothing else.

On Serebii, it's apparently the tail he's on. I'll agree on the thematic bit, but...good lord, is it just...really silly to me.

8 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

So is trading now going to be limited based on the DLC you bought?

No. There will be free updates that allow players without the DLC to trade for Pokemon that are in the DLC.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

No. There will be free updates that allow players without the DLC to trade for Pokemon that are in the DLC.

As far as I can bet, though, it will only be for the older Pokemon. I don't know if they're really going to allow people without the DLC to have the new regis/birds/legendaries/etc.

Just now, Dai said:

As far as I can bet, though, it will only be for the older Pokemon. I don't know if they're really going to allow people without the DLC to have the new regis/birds/legendaries/etc.

That's possible, yeah. But who knows.

Nice bait-and-switch there. 2006? DP remakes? Nope, a remake of Rescue Team.

Also, gee Game Freak, my favourite part of new content is having every new Pokémon just pointed out to me so there's nothing left to discover while playing the game. /sarcasm

Outside of that... the new-old Pokémon not being locked behind a paywall is a good move. Shows that they're not (yet) willing to hold victims of the Snap hostage for money. I wish they'd detailed what Home will look like, though.

On 1/7/2020 at 8:09 PM, NegativeExponents- said:

I don't get this "TPC won't let that happen" talk. Nintendo, Creatures, and GF own TPC. TPC isn't it's own independent company and definitely not the one dishing out orders to the rest. If GF doesn't have enough dev time it's because they themselves are the ones rushing out games and not because TPC is breathing down their necks to push games out faster for the anime. Plus, the anime can just do it's own thing while waiting for the next gen games to come out. It's not like they haven't done that before or still even now. The new series as is couldn't be more disconnected from the actual games.

I could probs look into it some more but from what I understand, the dev cycles have become shorter to sync with the anime and capitalize on merch sales. Both Nintendo and TPC publish the games so they release date is definitely not just up to Game Freak.

13 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Landorus-T is coming back.... WTF?!?!? I THOUGHT WE WERE RID OF THAT ASSHOLE FOR GOOD!!!!!!!

Also Volcarona with heavy duty boots. Game freak was just like balance? What the fuck is balance?!

Honestly, Lando T and some of the other legends were the only negative for me. I don't need those hoes back in the metagames.

11 hours ago, Seafarer said:

Nice bait-and-switch there. 2006? DP remakes? Nope, a remake of Rescue Team.

Also, gee Game Freak, my favourite part of new content is having every new Pokémon just pointed out to me so there's nothing left to discover while playing the game. /sarcasm

Outside of that... the new-old Pokémon not being locked behind a paywall is a good move. Shows that they're not (yet) willing to hold victims of the Snap hostage for money. I wish they'd detailed what Home will look like, though.

But when have they ever announced a new game/remake 2 months after a new game comes out? It is weird we got the least information about Home even though it's coming out next month.

22 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

But when have they ever announced a new game/remake 2 months after a new game comes out? It is weird we got the least information about Home even though it's coming out next month.

When have they ever announced DLC for a main series game? Or a remake of a Mystery Dungeon game? That it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it can't happen.

...not sure what your point even is, other than arguing. Tbf, I guess that's the only point of this post, too.

(I just want to know whether Home will require NSO. If it does, I guess I'm not transferring Pokémon forward anymore.)

25 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

When have they ever announced DLC for a main series game? Or a remake of a Mystery Dungeon game? That it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it can't happen.

...not sure what your point even is, other than arguing. Tbf, I guess that's the only point of this post, too.

(I just want to know whether Home will require NSO. If it does, I guess I'm not transferring Pokémon forward anymore.)

Not arguing, more confused on you saying it was a bait n switch.

There's no precedent for Mystery Dungeon remakes or Pokemon DLC. There is a precedent though of the release of a new game and the time in between before another main series (or main series remake) is announced. Though tbf, a Pokemon Direct has also never been so close after a main series release.

Anything can happen, I just don't get the logic of people being disappointed with no Sinnoh News.

Considering SwSh still have local wireless options I'd assume you just need internet access. Requiring NSO would really suck.

Edited by Quiyonce

24 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

Not arguing, more confused on you saying it was a bait n switch.

There's no precedent for Mystery Dungeon remakes or Pokemon DLC. There is a precedent though of the release of a new game and the time in between before another main series (or main series remake) is announced. Though tbf, a Pokemon Direct has also never been so close after a main series release.

Anything can happen, I just don't get the logic of people being disappointed with no Sinnoh News.

Considering SwSh still have local wireless options I'd assume you just need internet access. Requiring NSO would really suck.

Well, Rescue Team originally released in 2005, while DP were in 2006. I guess I should have realised that they were using the US release years, but I see 2006 and I immediately think DP. And I'm not disappointed, just surprised. *shrug*

8 hours ago, Seafarer said:

Well, Rescue Team originally released in 2005, while DP were in 2006. I guess I should have realised that they were using the US release years, but I see 2006 and I immediately think DP. And I'm not disappointed, just surprised. *shrug*

That's totally fair. I was also a little thrown off they didn't use the JP release especially considering 15 is a cleaner number. It makes some sense considering Pokemon has been really pushing for same day releases recently but that's not gonna take away fan association with '06 as original DP release year. I get that.

10 hours ago, Seafarer said:

This. I didn't know 2006 was actually the US release for Rescue Team. I did know it was the Japanese release for DP and since the GameFreak guys themselves were announcing this stuff, I assumed they were using Japanese release dates only here.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:34 AM, Ottservia said:

To be fair, the metagame is already a hot mess as things are - OU has Dracovish and Arena Trap, UU has Gengar, Obstagoon and Crawdaunt, and RU has Sigilyph and assorted other threats.

On 1/9/2020 at 11:34 AM, Ottservia said:

Balance? GF doesn't care about balance.

If they would care about balance, things like Mega Raquaza wouldn't exist. And all Gigantamax have been banned too so... balance has been out of the window for quite sometimes.

Man, 90 US dollar for a "complete" pokémon game? I don't want to imagine how much it will cost for Canadiens.

Great. We have to fork over another 30 euros to get a more complete experience but not really because it STILL doesn't add all the Pokémon. Perhaps they'll announce that they want 30 more euros for the rest? The Isle of Armor doesn't look like my cup of tea, but the Crown Tundra looks good. Why this wasn't in the base game to begin with, I don't know, since that lacked in a lot of areas to explore. 30 euros is an absolutely ridiculous price.

44 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Great. We have to fork over another 30 euros to get a more complete experience but not really because it STILL doesn't add all the Pokémon. Perhaps they'll announce that they want 30 more euros for the rest? The Isle of Armor doesn't look like my cup of tea, but the Crown Tundra looks good. Why this wasn't in the base game to begin with, I don't know, since that lacked in a lot of areas to explore. 30 euros is an absolutely ridiculous price.

I'd imagine it was either not done yet or something along those lines. And to be fair, this would be better than having a rushed and subpar post game.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I'd imagine it was either not done yet or something along those lines. And to be fair, this would be better than having a rushed and subpar post game.

Is that supposed to be an excuse? They should have postponed the release to make sure that things are done. Instead of getting that good postgame, we got a subpar and rushed postgame, AND we have to pay money to explore more areas that really should have been in he main game.

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I agree with this, yeah. Even if it costs a bit of extra money, it's worth it to me for quality content.

5 hours ago, Nym said:

Man, 90 US dollar for a "complete" pokémon game? I don't want to imagine how much it will cost for Canadiens.

I don't think it'd bother them much, they make tons of money playing all that NHL hockey, I'd imagine! XD

Edited by Anacybele

4 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

It's already that way, and I agree with the above who said this is an excuse, they just hold back to make you waste more money, which is sad.

This stuff should already be in the game. Post game content? GSC has this, a switch game should easily have this, no excuses/acceptions.

This game is already half assed, and DLC is a lazy cover up to this fact.

What is "quality"? Not this, to me.