Pokémon Sword and Shield News and Discussion: Isle of Armor out now

Lightchao42

Just now, Bk1234 said:

I'm disappointed as well. We probably just got a pay-to-win game. They didn't even give us a release date. The fact that they don't know what fans want is disgusting. Saying "big project" implies a main series game... 😡

Exactly, that's how I feel too. I'm starting to not like GameFreak anymore. I don't even know if I want to bother with Pokemon anymore beyond Sword and Shield's DLC.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I think Unite is pretty damn cool. A Pokemon project hasn't interested me in a long time, but I'm all for a MOBA. 

As for it potentially being "pay to win," MOBAs are traditionally not pay to win. At worst, they tend to let you buy/earn new characters. Which isn't power so much as options. One Charmander player isn't stronger than another Charmander player.

5 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Actually, I think Unite is pretty damn cool. A Pokemon project hasn't interested me in a long time, but I'm all for a MOBA. 

As for it potentially being "pay to win," MOBAs are traditionally not pay to win. At worst, they tend to let you buy/earn new characters. Which isn't power so much as options. One Charmander player isn't stronger than another Charmander player.

I actually don't think Unite is bad in concept. It certain fits Pokemon and it's good for those who like this genre of gaming. But the main problem for me is how they hyped it up as a big project and I recall Masuda even said in the previous Pokemon Presents that it was a "big project we're working on" like GameFreak was the one developing it even though they're not. I feel misled. I would be less disappointed if they'd just included this in the last presentation or not called it a big project and all.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I actually don't think Unite is bad in concept. It certain fits Pokemon and it's good for those who like this genre of gaming. But the main problem for me is how they hyped it up as a big project and I recall Masuda even said in the previous Pokemon Presents that it was a "big project we're working on" like GameFreak was the one developing it even though they're not. I feel misled. I would be less disappointed if they'd just included this in the last presentation or not called it a big project and all.

I don't disagree. Thing is, I think both sides of this are right. It is a big project, but it was also poorly handled reveal-wise.

MOBAs are big projects. Not in terms of content, because one can launch with one map and a couple dozen characters. In terms of growth potential and longevity. A successful MOBA can attract a hardcore fanbase and be supported with new characters over years. League of Legends has over 100 characters. Imagine that in a Pokemon context.

I think it's certainly better than the fundamentally lacking fighting game.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

1 minute ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I don't disagree. Thing is, I think both sides of this are right. It is a big project, but it was also poorly handled reveal-wise.

MOBAs are big projects. Not in terms of content, because one can launch with one map and a couple dozen characters. In terms of growth potential and longevity. A successful MOBA can attract a hardcore fanbase and be supported with new characters over years. League of Legends has over 100 characters. Imagine that in a Pokemon context.

I think it's certainly better than the fundamentally lacking fighting game.

Yeah, that's a fair point, I suppose. This still isn't my thing though, unfortunately. After my experiences with Zelda: Triforce Heroes, I do not want another game where I'd have to play with a bunch of random strangers. I could only tolerate playing TH with people I knew (in which case it was fun, I will point out).

Unite might be fine if it wasn't Tencent developing it. Apparently they have a poor reputation, and being a Chinese developer they do legally have to give user information to the Chinese government. As always watch over the situation rather than assume, but at the moment there's a lot of signs pointing to issues of information security.

Beyond that my issue is that it just looks very... normal? Very standard, I guess would be more accurate. There's nothing really unique about it that makes me want to play it. Cafe Mix was another puzzle game, even by the same developers as Trozei and Shuffle (which is Genius Sonority, who're also the Colosseum/XD devs), but it's got a super cute style and did end up being pretty fun to boot. Unite just looks... uninspired.

20 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

As for why Unite was a "big" standalone announcement, that was probably Tencent's request.

Agreed with this.

Edited by Emerson

6 minutes ago, Emerson said:

Unite might be fine if it wasn't Tencent developing it. Apparently they have a poor reputation, and being a Chinese developer they do legally have to give user information to the Chinese government. I would say watch over the situation rather than assume, but at the moment there's a lot of signs pointing to issues of information security.

Yeah, and then there's also the fact that China has been under fire by some for the virus pandemic they caused. I myself want little to do with them now because of it. Individual Chinese people are fine, of course, because obviously not every one of them is to blame. Including Tencent. But the country itself...massive NO thanks. So this developer being from there...yeah, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I for one am very happy it wasn't Let's Go Johto. I love Johto and wish it got more love but not like that because the let's go formula is atrocious. First one didn't even manage to improve on or at least include any of the content FRLG already added and there's no way that a new would even come close to all the content HGSS had.

I didn't really expect much to begin like others did so not disappointed or anything by Unite but also not excited for it. Never been interested in MOBA before and still not interested. I really don't see why they hyped it up so much though and decided to have a week long build up just for it.

WE ALL LIVE (YEA-AH) IN A POKE-MOBA

(GET THE POWER IN YOUR HANDS)

POKE-MON! (unite)

So a MOBA game's a thing. Okay. It's concerning to see Tencent if you don't like to see them. Teams of 5 V 5 is very obvious, but the fact you can move freely on it for the battle is more than I was necessarily expecting (Also, I don't see a trainer, so it's hilarious to see the 'mons catching), while the in map-levelling is legit a cute twist to it and I will give it credit for a gimmick that might be a disaster. It's also mobile so I expect it to be a money sink too. It's weird that the gameplay display is literally the back half and that's literally it about the video.

Not gonna lie, I get being disappointed. This is everything? Really? Yikes, I'm probably going to back off. Shame too because the levelling up and picking moves as you went honestly sounded cool to me. I know there's been mention that the full video was because Tencent likely asked, which makes sense.

(Also, talking about the first video, the Brushing game was odd (Where's Pokemon sleep GF?), didn't particularly care about the Shuffle Sequel and if Snap 2 works out I'm on board with picking up something new in Pokemon for the first time since Detective Pikachu tickets.)

Edit: SNAP BACK, NEW REALITY

OH, THERE GOES GRAVITY

OH, THERE GOES RABOOT

HE CHOKED-

Edited by Dayni

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

They are removing dislikes from yesterday’s Pokemon Presents! 😂

1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Source? I wasn't aware someone could do that without deleting and re-uploading a video.

It's just them uploading the UK version of the trailer, which they always do.