Pokémon Sword and Shield News and Discussion: Isle of Armor out now

Lightchao42

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

Dude do you know how disgusting dynamax Gyarados can be?! Max Aerial to boost your speed as well as deliver massive damage to hopefully get a moxie boost. One turn and you’ve already taken out an opponent’s pokemon and have a dragon dance. Max water to get yet another moxie boost and set up the rain. Like at that point what do you even do?

I haven't just done that, i sent a smogon playing friend a few calcs about things that can murder it consistently.

That said, i just find wrong to ban core game mechanichs, because at that point you are playing a mod. 

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Seems like GameFreak outdid themselves with regard to "how broken can we make our legendaries" with Zacian. Kyurem-Black level attack that gets boosted when switching in, and it's got Quick Man level speed. On top of that, it has great bulk and the best typing defense wise. Let this one sink in: it saw more use than Mega Rayquaza. That should speak for itself.

What are you talking about? It saw more use than Mega Rayquaza?

6 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Zacian is only that broken because there is no national dex. Ecery non-gen 8 legendary can theorically Dynamax, Zacian can not. It would be crippling if Natdex Uber/AG ever became a thing.

How or why is he broken?

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Scratch this quote

5 hours ago, Flere210 said:

It not much that it cannot 1v1 dynamx, it that everyone else has access to the best setup tool ever and Zacian not.

What set up do they have that Zacian doesn't?

4 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Speaking of Dynamax can we just talk about how stupidly broken it is in singles? I’ve already mentioned Gyarados but the amount of disgusting shit you can do with it is just not okay.

How broken is it? Can you give examples?

4 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Dude do you know how disgusting dynamax Gyarados can be?! Max Aerial to boost your speed as well as deliver massive damage to hopefully get a moxie boost. One turn and you’ve already taken out an opponent’s pokemon and have a dragon dance. Max water to get yet another moxie boost and set up the rain. Like at that point what do you even do?

What happens after the rain is set up?

I want to apologize to everyone that I'm asking so many questions. I'm new-ish to competitive battling. I learned about IVs and stuff about a Pokemon's best assets but I haven't sat down and learned any strategies or tactics or how people set the pace for battles. I'd like to take this chance to learn

Zacian has super high Attack and speed, wich makes him very powerful as a sweeper, wich in battling term is a fast and strong pokemon that can wreck the enemy team once his counters are out of the picture.

Dynamax allow a lot of powerful interaction, such as using max fighting, flying or poison to boost your stats or set a wheater whit max fire or water. There are others more niche uses, such as removing the choice lock. I am not an uber player, but i can beat lots of older mons have access to good flying or fighting moves to abuse dynamax. Rayquaza for example can use d-max dragon ascent to get a few speed procs.

1 hour ago, Tediz64 said:

What happens after the rain is set up?

Okay let me give you a short explanation both on what rain does and what moxie does. Rain essentially doubles the power of all water type moves and with Gyarados that means a stab 160 power waterfall to whatever poor creature happens to be in its way and with a plus one attack with a moxie boost(which boosts a pokemon’s attack by one stage for every pokemon it KOs) not much is living that. Then you can slap a choice band on that boy to boost his attack even further. Like at that point and especially in the rain not much is gonna be able to tank a +1 Stab waterfall from a Gyarados in the rain. Hell I think Ferrothorn gets three shot by it. And at +1 speed, Gyarados’s speed stat is at a blistering 430 which in the current meta is only outsped by scarf darmanitan which can’t touch it anyway because of Gyarados’s natural bulk. I mean you could scarf a dragapult or Jolteon to try and outspeed but that would be pointless for a number of other reasons. Gyarados really is just that busted.

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

Okay let me give you a short explanation both on what rain does and what moxie does. Rain essentially doubles the power of all water type moves and with Gyarados that means a stab 160 power waterfall to whatever poor creature happens to be in its way and with a plus one attack with a moxie boost(which boosts a pokemon’s attack by one stage for every pokemon it KOs) not much is living that. Then you can slap a choice band on that boy to boost his attack even further. Like at that point and especially in the rain not much is gonna be able to tank a +1 Stab waterfall from a Gyarados in the rain. Hell I think Ferrothorn gets three shot by it. And at +1 speed, Gyarados’s speed stat is at a blistering 430 which in the current meta is only outsped by scarf darmanitan which can’t touch it anyway because of Gyarados’s natural bulk. I mean you could scarf a dragapult or Jolteon to try and outspeed but that would be pointless for a number of other reasons. Gyarados really is just that busted.

I get that speed determines who goes first and affects moves like Gyro Ball and Volt Tackle but do battles end that quickly usually that all you need is to go first and land one hit? 

9 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

I get that speed determines who goes first and affects moves like Gyro Ball and Volt Tackle but do battles end that quickly usually that all you need is to go first and land one hit? 

Not necessarily no but we’re talking about a pokemon with a base 125 atk stat with at least +2 atk(which is equivalent to doubling its attack stat) with a stab(same type attack bonus) base 80 physical water move who’s power is effectively doubled in the rain. Yeah not much is going to survive that and at +1 speed outspeeding it is out of the question.

OazSAFZ.jpg?2

So here's my first Gen 8 shiny, and probably also the first shiny I've ever hatched. Even without the Shiny Charm (still need that damned Harambe Passimian and Zacian), getting this sick-looking sword really didn't take that long to get through Masuda method all things considered. 

3 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

OazSAFZ.jpg?2

So here's my first Gen 8 shiny, and probably also the first shiny I've ever hatched. Even without the Shiny Charm (still need that damned Harambe Passimian and Zacian), getting this sick-looking sword really didn't take that long to get through Masuda method all things considered. 

That thing looks pretty nice! Congratulations on that. 

7 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

OazSAFZ.jpg?2

I can help you with that monkey (that has the soccer ball). I have a spare. Could you help me with a shield exclusive?

Here are some shield exclusives I need: Drampa, Goomy, Solosis, or Sprtizee (holding Satchet). Even if you can do just one of these, I'll give you my spare monkey

Edited by Tediz64

30 minutes ago, Tediz64 said:

I can help you with that monkey (that has the soccer ball). I have a spare. Could you help me with a shield exclusive?

Here are some shield exclusives I need: Drampa, Goomy, Solosis, or Sprtizee (holding Satchet). Even if you can do just one of these, I'll give you my spare monkey

I have tons of leftover Goomy from breeding projects as well as Solosis. Your welcome to have the leftovers- a lot of them has good IVs as well.

50 minutes ago, Tediz64 said:

I can spare you the Spritzee with a Sachet since trade evolutions can be particularly annoying to get. I can also give you the other three at the same time, but you can just send me whatever in exchange for them since Passimian is the only non-Zacian Sword exclusive I lack.

1 hour ago, ZeManaphy said:

I have tons of leftover Goomy from breeding projects as well as Solosis. Your welcome to have the leftovers- a lot of them has good IVs as well.

I'll send you my friend code in a PM once I get off work. I appreciate it

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

I can spare you the Spritzee with a Sachet since trade evolutions can be particularly annoying to get. I can also give you the other three at the same time, but you can just send me whatever in exchange for them since Passimian is the only non-Zacian Sword exclusive I lack.

Same to you. I'll send friend code in a PM later. I'll be free to trade pretty much all Saturday and Sunday. 

Have any of you two gotten a Clefairy of Mimikyu? I know those two aren't version exclusive but for the life of me I haven't seen the Heavy Fog weather condition in the Wild area and I check DAILY. For like the last last two weeks. The only area that got that weather was Lake of Rage. 

If y'all two need any Sword exclusives just let me know. I got almost all of mine but still waiting for sunny day to get Turtornator. He is my last version exclusive that I missing. I'm at 359/400 Dex. The rest of my Dex is evovles

Edited by Tediz64

16 minutes ago, Tediz64 said:

Have any of you two gotten a Clefairy of Mimikyu? I know those two aren't version exclusive but for the life of me I haven't seen the Heavy Fog weather condition in the Wild area and I check DAILY. For like the last last two weeks. The only area that got that weather was Lake of Rage. 

If y'all two need any Sword exclusives just let me know. I got almost all of mine but still waiting for sunny day to get Turtornator. He is my last version exclusive that I missing. I'm at 359/400 Dex. The rest of my Dex is evovles

Yeah, I have the Clefairy family and Mimikyu as well. It seriously took forever to catch a Mimikyu myself because that fog would never roll in.

I also only need Zacian for my Dex, and I assume you still need Zamazenta for yours. Assuming you have Zacian, we can also briefly exchange them (as in, trade them and then immediately trade them back) as well.

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

Yeah, I have the Clefairy family and Mimikyu as well. It seriously took forever to catch a Mimikyu myself because that fog would never roll in.

I also only need Zacian for my Dex, and I assume you still need Zamazenta for yours. Assuming you have Zacian, we can also briefly exchange them (as in, trade them and then immediately trade them back) as well.

I just beat Leon and poofed into my house. I got Eternatus but not that sword one. Is he back in the woods? If you give me a little time to go catch him, I can do the trade. 

Also I'd appreciate an egg of Mimikyu and a Cleffa. I can't believe they made that weather condition so rare. They must not want people to catch fairy and psychic types cause that is who mainly spawns in that weather. 

19 minutes ago, Tediz64 said:

I just beat Leon and poofed into my house. I got Eternatus but not that sword one. Is he back in the woods? If you give me a little time to go catch him, I can do the trade. 

Also I'd appreciate an egg of Mimikyu and a Cleffa. I can't believe they made that weather condition so rare. They must not want people to catch fairy and psychic types cause that is who mainly spawns in that weather. 

Alright in that case, there's a post-game story episode that you initiate by going back to the end of the Slumbering Weald . It isn't terribly long (I'd say it's about an hour long at most) but you have to go through it (almost all of it at least) to get the chance to battle and catch Zacian.

I'm perfectly willing to wait for however long it takes for you to get Zacian, and yeah I'd be happy to provide you Mimikyu and Cleffa too.

Y’know I’m curious as to how the meta will change once home is released especially in regards to obstagoon cause then people would be able to trade up their regular zigzagoon with extreme speed and belly drum. I wonder if you could breed those moves onto their Galarian counterparts cause if so we’re looking at a pokemon with base 90 atk with access to guts and stab extremespeed. Holy shit that is going to be terrifying

3 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Y’know I’m curious as to how the meta will change once home is released especially in regards to obstagoon cause then people would be able to trade up their regular zigzagoon with extreme speed and belly drum. I wonder if you could breed those moves onto their Galarian counterparts cause if so we’re looking at a pokemon with base 90 atk with access to guts and stab extremespeed. Holy shit that is going to be terrifying

Nope, you can't do that, sadly.

I've finally completed the gym challenge! I know I went slow with this compared to some players. xP Blame school and the Christmas season.

But anyway, Raihan was easier than I thought he'd be. Though I might've had trouble if I hadn't given Barraskewda Ice Fang. That Flygon could've been a problem if I didn't KO it quickly. I didn't have many effective moves against Dragon types though, and that was why I thought I might have trouble. I did hear that not all of Raihan's Pokemon are actually Dragon type, but some still are.

Raihan is so cool though. XD I just really like how he looks and acts! He and Kabu are my favorite gym leaders in this game.

Edited by Anacybele

On 12/12/2019 at 10:05 PM, Tediz64 said:

What are you talking about? It saw more use than Mega Rayquaza?

Ayup. Given how busted Mega Rayquaza is, that should speak for itself.

Also, Dynamax got the banhammer, as expected. What's more, Kyurem-Black FINALLY became something so broken they had to use the banhammer on it as well.

Edited by Shadow Mir

...Wow. Okay, the battle against Leon is NOT fair at all.

All my team did was miss and get swept. I think I was hit by one or two critical hits too. What bullshit. Screw that, I don't want to play anymore if it's going to be this unfun.

Why does anyone say this is easy? I really don't understand at all. Did they just go to the Wild Area or something and KO stuff there until their team was lv. 80+ or something?

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

...Wow. Okay, the battle against Leon is NOT fair at all.

All my team did was miss and get swept. I think I was hit by one or two critical hits too. What bullshit. Screw that, I don't want to play anymore if it's going to be this unfun.

Why does anyone say this is easy? I really don't understand at all. Did they just go to the Wild Area or something and KO stuff there until their team was lv. 80+ or something?

I had my highest level at 71 with everyone else lagging behind around 62. I'll admit I used some of my team to just just survive one or two attacks and inflict status conditions and I also used moves that harshly lowered their attack. But I only had a team of 5 and I still managed to clear it. 

Did you have a mon to counter each of his types? Make sure you have somebody that can take 1/2 or 1/4 damage from his Charizard with protect taught to them to be able to withstand his dynamax form. Plus a rapid spin to free from his fire spin effect or at least someone who can rain dance to lower that fire power. Other than that I dunno what other tips to offer. 

Whose on your team and what hold items/abilities did you have going for you?

11 minutes ago, Tediz64 said:

I had my highest level at 71 with everyone else lagging behind around 62. I'll admit I used some of my team to just just survive one or two attacks and inflict status conditions and I also used moves that harshly lowered their attack. But I only had a team of 5 and I still managed to clear it. 

Did you have a mon to counter each of his types? Make sure you have somebody that can take 1/2 or 1/4 damage from his Charizard with protect taught to them to be able to withstand his dynamax form. Plus a rapid spin to free from his fire spin effect or at least someone who can rain dance to lower that fire power. Other than that I dunno what other tips to offer. 

Whose on your team and what hold items/abilities did you have going for you?

71? How the hell did you level up anything that high at that point? My highest is only lv. 60 with my lowest at lv. 55. Jesus Christ, if players really are over-leveling that much, no wonder the game is easy for them. Of course if you do that, it's going to be easier. The complaints about this game being "piss easy" are starting to really sound dumb to me.

I don't know, because I don't know what his full team is. I don't have Rapid Spin or Rain Dance. I prefer not to use status moves much because they take up a full turn and I'm often punished in the long run for it.

I never found many held items, so only a few of my Pokemon are holding any. But like my team composition matters anymore, seeing as I've decided I don't want to play the game.

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

71? How the hell did you level up anything that high at that point? My highest is only lv. 60 with my lowest at lv. 55. Jesus Christ, if players really are over-leveling that much, no wonder the game is easy for them. Of course if you do that, it's going to be easier. The complaints about this game being "piss easy" are starting to really sound dumb to me.

I don't know, because I don't know what his full team is. I don't have Rapid Spin or Rain Dance. I prefer not to use status moves much because they take up a full turn and I'm often punished in the long run for it.

I never found many held items, so only a few of my Pokemon are holding any. But like my team composition matters anymore, seeing as I've decided I don't want to play the game.

I ended at 64. And I beat him using a single pokemon. Using items like x defend and such makes it easy.

15 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I ended at 64. And I beat him using a single pokemon. Using items like x defend and such makes it easy.

That's still several levels higher than me. Maybe I AM kind of underleveled for this for some reason.

I don't use those items because they also take up a whole turn to use. And when my Pokemon currently can't take more than one or two hits from seemingly anything Leon throws at me...yeah.

I actually did try again and I narrowed Leon down to just his Charizard. But nearly all of my team was beaten at that point, it has a fucking Grass type move, and there's no way Mudsdale would ever outspeed it. I gave it Rock Tomb for nothing...

There seems to be nothing I can do here except grind a lot and I don't want to do that. That's so tedious and boring. I'm willing to level up a little more, but not a whole bunch.

Edited by Anacybele