Jump to content
Lightchao42

Pokémon Sword and Shield News and Discussion: Expansion Pass announced

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

That's still several levels higher than me. Maybe I AM kind of underleveled for this for some reason.

I don't use those items because they also take up a whole turn to use. And when my Pokemon currently can't take more than one or two hits from seemingly anything Leon throws at me...yeah.

I actually did try again and I narrowed Leon down to just his Charizard. But nearly all of my team was beaten at that point, it has a fucking Grass type move, and there's no way Mudsdale would ever outspeed it. I gave it Rock Tomb for nothing...

There seems to be nothing I can do here except grind a lot and I don't want to do that. That's so tedious and boring. I'm willing to level up a little more, but not a whole bunch.

Items like x defend raise your stats sharply, so two buffs in one turn is a great trade, just use two of each and he shouldn't come close to killing you that quickly. 

Not that I dont understand, but Pokemon is kinda all about grinding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

Items like x defend raise your stats sharply, so two buffs in one turn is a great trade, just use two of each and he shouldn't come close to killing you that quickly. 

Not that I dont understand, but Pokemon is kinda all about grinding.

I've rarely had to grind a lot in Pokemon to clear the main story. It's not all about grinding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Anacybele said:

71? How the hell did you level up anything that high at that point? My highest is only lv. 60 with my lowest at lv. 55. Jesus Christ, if players really are over-leveling that much, no wonder the game is easy for them. Of course if you do that, it's going to be easier. The complaints about this game being "piss easy" are starting to really sound dumb to me.

I don't know, because I don't know what his full team is. I don't have Rapid Spin or Rain Dance. I prefer not to use status moves much because they take up a full turn and I'm often punished in the long run for it.

I never found many held items, so only a few of my Pokemon are holding any. But like my team composition matters anymore, seeing as I've decided I don't want to play the game.

That was just my started. I never felt it was like I was "grinding" or "farming". I just added mons to my team, beat the ones roaming outside the grass, once the mons evolved and I got their Pokedex entry I chunked them into the PC and pulled out more mons. I did this pretty often. Here was my team

Lv. 71 Cinderace

Lv. 65 Corviknight 

Lv. 62 Dusknoir (I just caught him near the bridge at 60)

Lv. 65 Kommo-mo (I caught at level 60 and leveled up a bit)

And lastly Lv. 68 Gardevoir  that was pretty high level that I caught walking at Lake of Rage

This team wasn't for the battle tower so i didn't bother to to get them with 31 IVs except my bird since it was a brilliant Pokemon.

7 hours ago, Anacybele said:

That's still several levels higher than me. Maybe I AM kind of underleveled for this for some reason.

I don't use those items because they also take up a whole turn to use. And when my Pokemon currently can't take more than one or two hits from seemingly anything Leon throws at me...yeah.

I actually did try again and I narrowed Leon down to just his Charizard. But nearly all of my team was beaten at that point, it has a fucking Grass type move, and there's no way Mudsdale would ever outspeed it. I gave it Rock Tomb for nothing...

There seems to be nothing I can do here except grind a lot and I don't want to do that. That's so tedious and boring. I'm willing to level up a little more, but not a whole bunch.

Maybe you just need to make sure you level up the smart way. I mean do you grind Magikarp kills for exp? That could take forever and would be boring. I fought alot of the mons outside the grass by making sure my lead was someone who had a type advantage. That was what helped me gain levels. Plus those raid battles give out exp helped a bunch too. I thought they made leveling easy this go around since you can't turn off exp share. Another tip would be to take an electric Pokemon to a rainy spot in the wild area and grind exp with one hit KOs since mainly water Pokemon spawn. Knowing which mons spawn as a result of what weather and then bring out what hurts them can help speed up exp gains by one shoting the enemies every battle.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

 

If that is too much than just go catch new mons. With all your badges you can catch the level 60s walking around. There are plenty of them. The Dusty Bowl and Lake or Rage has decent choices. You got the Eevee-loutions and either a Gyardos or Lapras in lake of Rage past level 50 roaming around and in Dusty Bowl a good Dragon walking next to the pond or the Hawk/Vulture bird flying around 54. Not too far is a Machamp at lv60 in Giant's Mirror or a few Corviknights at 50/60 at various points. 

Edited by Tediz64

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiousity, @Anacybele, what's your current team and their movesets? Leon's got some nice type coverage, but he's certainly beatable from a lower level.

Play smarter, not harder, that's what I always say. Grinding isn't necessary. Don't forget you have items you can use and TMs you can buy.

My team was slightly above Leon, around 66 overall, since I'd done a good amount of catching and raids beforehand. I played on set with no item use though, so it did take a bit of work for some of his 'mons given my movesets weren't all amazing.

 

In any case, regarding this topic generally, Leon himself is a very bad steep level curve from what're directly before him, a random 7 level jump from Rose to him. It makes me wonder if they planned for more right before him...
His Charizard is also a much, MUCH larger threat than you'd initially imagine, thanks to Max-Grass. And he has a damn lot of strong Pokemon. All of the starters are genuine threats on his team, Rillaboom's speed control, and Cinderace and Inteleon's general power. Cinderace is absolutely the worst one he could have though, since it just gives him 2 fire types in a row.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found an almost surfire strategy whit corviknight.

1)hone claw or sword dance as much as you can

2)Dynamax

3)spam max-fly

4)clean up whit a massively buffed Corviknight using power trip or STABs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

That was just my started. I never felt it was like I was "grinding" or "farming". I just added mons to my team, beat the ones roaming outside the grass, once the mons evolved and I got their Pokedex entry I chunked them into the PC and pulled out more mons. I did this pretty often. Here was my team

Lv. 71 Cinderace

Lv. 65 Corviknight 

Lv. 62 Dusknoir (I just caught him near the bridge at 60)

Lv. 65 Kommo-mo (I caught at level 60 and leveled up a bit)

And lastly Lv. 68 Gardevoir  that was pretty high level that I caught walking at Lake of Rage

This team wasn't for the battle tower so i didn't bother to to get them with 31 IVs except my bird since it was a brilliant Pokemon.

I see. Still several levels higher than mine, but I didn't catch any of those high-level Pokemon you find in the Wild Area. I had a full team of six by that point. And I'd swapped one Pokemon out for another a couple times too.

7 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

Maybe you just need to make sure you level up the smart way. I mean do you grind Magikarp kills for exp? That could take forever and would be boring. I fought alot of the mons outside the grass by making sure my lead was someone who had a type advantage. That was what helped me gain levels. Plus those raid battles give out exp helped a bunch too. I thought they made leveling easy this go around since you can't turn off exp share. Another tip would be to take an electric Pokemon to a rainy spot in the wild area and grind exp with one hit KOs since mainly water Pokemon spawn. Knowing which mons spawn as a result of what weather and then bring out what hurts them can help speed up exp gains by one shoting the enemies every battle.

No, of course not. I actually had to grind a little in the Wild Area to level up Applin to use against Gordie since he was giving me a hard time otherwise. My team gained some more levels too and I wound up a bit overleveled at that point. lol

6 hours ago, Emerson said:

Out of curiousity, @Anacybele, what's your current team and their movesets? Leon's got some nice type coverage, but he's certainly beatable from a lower level.

Play smarter, not harder, that's what I always say. Grinding isn't necessary. Don't forget you have items you can use and TMs you can buy.

Okay, I'll post it.

Fluff (Cinderace) lv. 58 - Double Kick, Bounce, Flame Charge, Pyro Ball

Marinette (Orbeetle) lv. 59 - Psychic, Psychic Terrain, Struggle Bug, Calm Mind

Longg (Applin) lv. 58 - Dragon Rush, Grav Apple, Dragon Dance, Fly

Kaalki (Mudsdale) lv. 59 - Earthquake, Rock Tomb, Heavy Slam, Superpower

Kim (Barraskewda) lv. 55 - Liquidation, Ice Fang, Crunch, Aqua Jet

Sabrina (Boltund) lv. 60 - Spark, Wild Charge, Crunch, Nuzzle

Even though I said I typically prefer not to use status moves, I do keep them on movesets sometimes, either because I haven't gotten anything better to replace them with or because they actually might be handy on occasion.

I also have a Liepard named Adrien and a Thievul named Alya in the box too. But Dark types aren't going to trump much of what Leon has at all, so...

I wonder if I'm not using the best Pokemon in the game. Barraskewda for instance, while cool, hasn't been the best Water type I ever used, I admit. It just gets KO'd so easily even though it's really fast and will hit first a lot of the time. Apple dragon is probably not the best Dragon type in the game either, but it's a cute Grass/Dragon and I've wanted to see that typing in something other than Mega Sceptile. Compared to Ledian, Orbeetle is GREAT. Especially because of also being Psychic type. But Bug types in general aren't good compared to other types. But I really wanted to use Orbeetle because it's a cool new ladybug Pokemon and I got the Miraculous naming theme going on. xP

Speaking of that naming theme, I just realized my final team is named after three human characters and three kwamis! I evened it out without trying. XD

EDIT: Of course I know I can use TMs and stuff. That's how I gave Rock Tomb to Kaalki and Ice Fang to Kim.

Edited by Anacybele

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Okay, I'll post it.

Fluff (Cinderace) lv. 58 - Double Kick, Bounce, Flame Charge, Pyro Ball

Marinette (Orbeetle) lv. 59 - Psychic, Psychic Terrain, Struggle Bug, Calm Mind

Longg (Applin) lv. 58 - Dragon Rush, Grav Apple, Dragon Dance, Fly

Kaalki (Mudsdale) lv. 59 - Earthquake, Rock Tomb, Heavy Slam, Superpower

Kim (Barraskewda) lv. 55 - Liquidation, Ice Fang, Crunch, Aqua Jet

Sabrina (Boltund) lv. 60 - Spark, Wild Charge, Crunch, Nuzzle

Even though I said I typically prefer not to use status moves, I do keep them on movesets sometimes, either because I haven't gotten anything better to replace them with or because they actually might be handy on occasion.

I also have a Liepard named Adrien and a Thievul named Alya in the box too. But Dark types aren't going to trump much of what Leon has at all, so...

I wonder if I'm not using the best Pokemon in the game. Barraskewda for instance, while cool, hasn't been the best Water type I ever used, I admit. It just gets KO'd so easily even though it's really fast and will hit first a lot of the time. Apple dragon is probably not the best Dragon type in the game either, but it's a cute Grass/Dragon and I've wanted to see that typing in something other than Mega Sceptile. Compared to Ledian, Orbeetle is GREAT. Especially because of also being Psychic type. But Bug types in general aren't good compared to other types. But I really wanted to use Orbeetle because it's a cool new ladybug Pokemon and I got the Miraculous naming theme going on. xP

Speaking of that naming theme, I just realized my final team is named after three human characters and three kwamis! I evened it out without trying. XD

EDIT: Of course I know I can use TMs and stuff. That's how I gave Rock Tomb to Kaalki and Ice Fang to Kim.

Oh that's not a bad team at all. Barraskewda's actually an extremely strong Pokemon, it's very fast and hits hard as hell. Flapple's not the best but it's definitely not bad, although it's not the best Dragon type, but I used an Appletun myself. Orbeetle's actually pretty great statwise, it's super strong defensively and isn't too slow or too weak, although it doesn't have much to use versus Leon's team.

I'd say... I think you could definitely do it. Make sure you lead with Mudsdale to deal with his Aegislash. Then Dragapult... definitely a toughie... I think Flapple might be able to deal with it? Maybe? You could go get the Choice Scarf from Ballonlea (The letter sidequest, it starts in Hammerlocke), which would definitely help Flapple be faster and hopefully defeat it. Barraskewda should be able to clean up and finish off Dragapult with Ice Fang or Crunch if Flapple can't finish the job. Then hopefully do the same vs his Haxorus. From there, I think you should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Emerson said:

Oh that's not a bad team at all. Barraskewda's actually an extremely strong Pokemon, it's very fast and hits hard as hell. Flapple's not the best but it's definitely not bad, although it's not the best Dragon type, but I used an Appletun myself. Orbeetle's actually pretty great statwise, it's super strong defensively and isn't too slow or too weak, although it doesn't have much to use versus Leon's team.

I'd say... I think you could definitely do it. Make sure you lead with Mudsdale to deal with his Aegislash. Then Dragapult... definitely a toughie... I think Flapple might be able to deal with it? Maybe? You could go get the Choice Scarf from Ballonlea (The letter sidequest, it starts in Hammerlocke), which would definitely help Flapple be faster and hopefully defeat it. Barraskewda should be able to clean up and finish off Dragapult with Ice Fang or Crunch if Flapple can't finish the job. Then hopefully do the same vs his Haxorus. From there, I think you should be fine.

Really? Because Barraskewda doesn't seem to hit real hard to me. And I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have an Atk lowering nature. I'd have made sure of that.

I've been having Cinderace take out Aegislash, but the problem there is that Pyro Ball misses right away EVERY FUCKING TIME. >_> So maybe I actually should use Mudsdale instead... Flappe can't survive even a single hit from either Haxorus or Dragapult (btw, Leon uses Haxorus against me first).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Anacybele said:

Really? Because Barraskewda doesn't seem to hit real hard to me. And I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have an Atk lowering nature. I'd have made sure of that.

I've been having Cinderace take out Aegislash, but the problem there is that Pyro Ball misses right away EVERY FUCKING TIME. >_> So maybe I actually should use Mudsdale instead... Flappe can't survive even a single hit from either Haxorus or Dragapult (btw, Leon uses Haxorus against me first).

It's likely just because Barraskewda's underleveled compared to the rest of your team. It's attack stat is a really solid base 123.

Yep, that's the downside of Pyro Ball. It happens. Mudsdale should be more consistent versus Aegislash. And I think you're definitely going to want that Choice Scarf for Flapple so it can outspeed Dragapult or Haxorus, whichever comes out first. Boltund should be able to do some good damage to Dragapult with Crunch as well if you need to take it down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Emerson said:

Yep, that's the downside of Pyro Ball. It happens. Mudsdale should be more consistent versus Aegislash. And I think you're definitely going to want that Choice Scarf for Flapple so it can outspeed Dragapult or Haxorus, whichever comes out first. Boltund should be able to do some good damage to Dragapult with Crunch as well if you need to take it down.

That move's description doesn't say it should miss on the first turn all the time though.

I didn't know at first that Dragapult was Ghost type until I looked up more info on Leon's team. It doesn't look like one to me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I didn't know at first that Dragapult was Ghost type until I looked up more info on Leon's team. It doesn't look like one to me...

Yeah, it's a little hard to see design wise, but the Dreepy line is based on an extinct lizard, as well as a stealth bomber. If you look at the end of it's tail, you can see it fades away. It definitely warrants being a Ghost type, but it doesn't look like a traditional one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Emerson said:

Yeah, it's a little hard to see design wise, but the Dreepy line is based on an extinct lizard, as well as a stealth bomber. If you look at the end of it's tail, you can see it fades away. It definitely warrants being a Ghost type, but it doesn't look like a traditional one.

Yeah, I do kinda see that tail thing now. Makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barraskewda is a fucking monster that is going to stay OU for sure. It should be able to solo Leon as long as you can set up a dynamax sweep and has swift swim. Maybe you need a fighting move to raise it's attack even more tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a little grinding to get my team all at lv. 60 or above and that paid off! Though Leon was still giving me trouble because I had moves miss YET AGAIN. -_- It wasn't Pyro Ball that missed this time though, it was Barraskewda's Ice Fang when I tried to use it against Haxorus. It then got one-shot by Outrage. That damn Haxorus gave me the most trouble because it does so much damage with that move. But I triumphed in the end. Boltund was fast enough to outspeed Charizard and take it out fairly easily in the end.

I still have to say Leon is the new hardest champion above even Cynthia, though not by much because Cynthia is still difficult with her freaking Spiritomb and Garchomp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2019 at 2:23 PM, Flere210 said:

Barraskewda is a fucking monster that is going to stay OU for sure. It should be able to solo Leon as long as you can set up a dynamax sweep and has swift swim. Maybe you need a fighting move to raise it's attack even more tho.

Yep definitely. With a stat spread like that AND access to swift swim Barraskewda is god damn monster. The very definition of a glass canon though with a speed and attack stats that high who needs defense? 

 

18 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I did a little grinding to get my team all at lv. 60 or above and that paid off! Though Leon was still giving me trouble because I had moves miss YET AGAIN. -_- It wasn't Pyro Ball that missed this time though, it was Barraskewda's Ice Fang when I tried to use it against Haxorus. It then got one-shot by Outrage. That damn Haxorus gave me the most trouble because it does so much damage with that move. But I triumphed in the end. Boltund was fast enough to outspeed Charizard and take it out fairly easily in the end.

I still have to say Leon is the new hardest champion above even Cynthia, though not by much because Cynthia is still difficult with her freaking Spiritomb and Garchomp.

Personally I found Cynthia to be harder and I don’t think Leon comes very close. Cynthia’s team is just that well rounded also not helping matters is that garchomp is just that good a pokemon. I will say Leon is probably the best champion we’ve had in a while. A well rounded team that presents a fair and fun challenge though his signature pokemon is just laughably easy to take care of. There’s a reason Charizard has been in NU for most of its life when it comes to the meta. You just set up rocks and he just dies. Oh stealth rocks. 

 

On 12/21/2019 at 11:07 AM, Anacybele said:

That move's description doesn't say it should miss on the first turn all the time though.

Pyro ball is basically just a better version of flare blitz. Same base power without the recoil but as a trade off it only has 90% accuracy rather than flare blitz’s more reliable 100%. A 10% accuracy drop may not seem like much but believe me it matters more than you think.

Speaking of Cinderace, once hidden abilities are out for the starters that thing is going to be a god damn menace. Its the second coming of Greninja. Cinderace is pretty much just fire type Greninja with its hidden ability and boy is it terrifying.

Edited by Ottservia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

Personally I found Cynthia to be harder and I don’t think Leon comes very close. Cynthia’s team is just that well rounded also not helping matters is that garchomp is just that good a pokemon. I will say Leon is probably the best champion we’ve had in a while. A well rounded team that presents a fair and fun challenge though his signature pokemon is just laughably easy to take care of. There’s a reason Charizard has been in NU for most of its life when it comes to the meta. You just set up rocks and he just dies. Oh stealth rocks. 

Well, Cynthia never blew me the crap out. She gave me some trouble, but I didn't repeatedly lose to her like with Leon. But different experiences I guess.

And I agree, Leon is my favorite champion besides her now because he's so cool and fun. XD I didn't have access to Stealth Rock, so...

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Pyro ball is basically just a better version of flare blitz. Same base power without the recoil but as a trade off it only has 90% accuracy rather than flare blitz’s more reliable 100%. A 10% accuracy drop may not seem like much but believe me it matters more than you think.

Yeah, so I can see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I didn't have access to Stealth Rock, so...

That makes sense. Charizard is deathly allergic to rocks and the reason why he doesn’t see much competitive play unless you’re using one of his megas. Doesn’t stop Volcarona from tearing shit up in OU but hey that’s just how it is.

Also can we just talk about how not okay Galarian Zen mode Darmanitan is? Cause it’s not okay because not only is it’s attack stat only 20 lower than mega rayquaza’s but it also has a base 135 spd(which is 20 points higher than mega rayquaza’s actually) AND access to belly drum which it can use to activate Zen mode. Like that’s not okay at all. Who thought that was okay?! It also can hold an item AND gets stab on flare blitz!! Like who created this absolute monster!!

Edited by Ottservia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

That makes sense. Charizard is deathly allergic to rocks and the reason why he doesn’t see much competitive play unless you’re using one of his megas. Doesn’t stop Volcarona from tearing shit up in OU but hey that’s just how it is.

Yeah, I'm aware, seeing as the Fire/Flying combo takes quadruple damage from Rock type moves. And I see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sword and shield meta is just an absolute chaotic mess right now. I was playing showdown the other day and got two ancient power boosts with my weakness policy steam engine Coalossal. A gimmicky set but if you can get it off you can just sweep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Also can we just talk about how not okay Galarian Zen mode Darmanitan is? Cause it’s not okay because not only is it’s attack stat only 20 lower than mega rayquaza’s but it also has a base 135 spd(which is 20 points higher than mega rayquaza’s actually) AND access to belly drum which it can use to activate Zen mode. Like that’s not okay at all. Who thought that was okay?! It also can hold an item AND gets stab on flare blitz!! Like who created this absolute monster!!

Yeah, Galarian Darmanitan in general is some busted shit. Especially Gorilla Tactics, which gives it a Choice Band boost (which leaves it free to either use Choice Scarf or stack GT with Choice Band). Sure, it's vulnerable to Stealth Rock, but in the face of having a more spammable STAB (Flare Blitz has massive recoil Icicle Crash doesn't, for one, and second, Ice has no chance of Flash Fire shenanigans), easier hazard removal, and the aforementioned Gorilla Tactics, that ain't enough. It needs to go. For that matter, Dracovish gotta go too. STAB Strong Jaw Fishious Rend is seriously not okay. Especially if you're slower than it is. Or switching into it.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2019 at 7:54 PM, Water Mage said:

I gonna post this again:

I loved the Water starter. But I’m betting everyone will think the Water starter is stupid but will love it’s final evolution also people will love the fire bunny but will hate it’s final evolution and will hate the fact that it is bipedal.

And I get the feeling that the starters will have a sports theme.

That's definitely going to be the most important aspect of the game...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thrice... THREE TIMES NOW freaking Ball Guy has given me 100 pokeballs. THAT'S 300 FREAKING POKEBALLS! You know what pokemon wants to be caught in a pokeball? TRICK QUESTION NONE OF THEM DO.

And of course the one time I get a rarer reward, it's a Life Orb, which y'know is available normally in the game? Pretty sure it just requires the upgraded bike in the Slumbering Weald? SOMEONE STANGLE THIS FREAK OF NATURE FOR ME SO I CAN GET SOME FREE POTSHOTS AT HIS GROIN.

OH MY GOD THIS PIECE OF CRAP GAVE ME EVEN MORE WHAT THE FU-

Edited by Xenomata

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/darmanitan-galar-is-now-banned-from-ou.3658369/

It's happened - Galarian Darmanitan has been quickbanned, as expected. Now they need to get rid of Dracovish and Arena Trap...

Edited by Shadow Mir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We now have a Magikarp event going on in the Wild Area where the Magikarp have a good chance of being shiny good compared to usual shiny rates anyways and where the raids usually yield several Nuggets (you’re at least guaranteed a Big Nugget). The event will run until January 3rd.

I myself have already gotten a 5 IV too bad the sixth IV is a 0 though shiny Magikarp from this event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...