Jump to content
Lightchao42

Pokémon Sword and Shield News and Discussion: Expansion Pass announced

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I'd imagine it was either not done yet or something along those lines. And to be fair, this would be better than having a rushed and subpar post game.

True. Though I doubt this stuff is completely stuff they simply didn't have time to finish sooner, as so much of it seems built in response to popular criticisms of Sword and Shield:

  • So many previous Pokémon are unavailable --> Season Pass brings back a lot of old Pokémon
  • Excessive Charizard-pandering and no Venasaur or Blastoise --> Season Pass has Venasaur and Blastoise and Gigantamax forms for both
  • The player character was "shunted to the side" in many parts of the main story --> Isle of Armour's story is all about the player character going to the isle for specialist training
  • The game's world is far more linear than past Pokemon games --> The shape of the Isle of Armour is focused on in the trailer, and there's a strong theme of exploration mentioned for Crown Tundra

(I should probably say at this point that I have yet to actually play Sword and Shield; none of these criticisms are mine as I can't say anything about the quality of the game before I've actually played it). 

I wouldn't be surprised if the season pass is using ideas that were cut for time, but I don't think it is simply just a delayed post-game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Michelaar said:

the Crown Tundra looks good.

Gonna have to disagree with you there chief. The concept art looked nice and they talked it up quite a bit but as far as what they actually showed, it looked crap

QyzX647.png

Why does the ruin that got so much attention look like this? Couldn't even bother making the structure containing their new regis look nice.

8 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I'd imagine it was either not done yet or something along those lines. And to be fair, this would be better than having a rushed and subpar post game.

If that was the case they should have just released everything as a free update. Kirby Star Allies did that instead of making their unfinished stuff paid because that's still basically the same as withholding content to release it as DLC.

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I agree with this, yeah. Even if it costs a bit of extra money, it's worth it to me for quality content.

I would temper expectations. They didn't actually show that much. It was as mostly a slideshow, fancy cutscenes, and clothing options. Actual gameplay was very limited. Too soon be judging the content as good or bad.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Gonna have to disagree with you there chief. The concept art looked nice and they talked it up quite a bit but as far as what they actually showed, it looked crap

QyzX647.png

Why does the ruin that got so much attention look like this? Couldn't even bother making the structure containing they're new regis look nice.

that's likely because it's probably still in the very early stages of development and this is all they have atm. I'd wait for the actual release to judge the graphics. It even says at the bottom "game footage not final"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I would temper expectations. They didn't actually show that much. It was as mostly a slideshow, fancy cutscenes, and clothing options. Actual gameplay was very limited. Too soon be judging the content as good or bad.

They did say that there are new stories to follow in these areas though, and that both of these areas are even bigger than the Wild Area. That's massive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

that's likely because it's probably still in the very early stages of development and this is all they have atm. I'd wait for the actual release to judge the graphics. It even says at the bottom "game footage not final"

Doesn't mean anything coming from GF. They same was said about the graphics for the base game and yet everything remained unchanged upon release. Why would the dlc be any different?

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

They did say that there are new stories to follow in these areas though, and that both of these areas are even bigger than the Wild Area. That's massive.

Could be false. Or it coul be a technicality because even if they are bigger we still don't know by how much so it could a be an insignificant increase. And the wild area wasn't that big to begin with so I doubt they'll be massive but I guess we'll just have to wait and see for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Could be false. Or it coul be a technicality because even if they are bigger we still don't know by how much so it could a be an insignificant increase. And the wild area wasn't that big to begin with so I doubt they'll be massive but I guess we'll just have to wait and see for that.

Wtf, why would they have told lies in the Direct? What I said came straight from there. And imo, the Wild Area was really big.

Edited by Anacybele

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm of the opinion that SwSh wasn't unfinished as it was unpolished. There are definitely some flaws but the base game is solid enough as Pokémon games go. It's too early to tell if the DLC would be better than a third version/another pair but with the reduced price and what's seemingly a lot more content, it's hopefully at least a step in the right direction.

33 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Could be false. Or it coul be a technicality because even if they are bigger we still don't know by how much so it could a be an insignificant increase. And the wild area wasn't that big to begin with so I doubt they'll be massive but I guess we'll just have to wait and see for that.

Even if the DLC areas are insignificantly larger than the Wild Area, unless I'm mistaken the Wild Area is still larger than any postgame content we've had sans Johto. And there's two of them. That's quite a lot of content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the list of confirmed returning Pokemon, and one of them is Blissey? That thing Dynamaxed sounds really nasty. That’s almost 1500 HP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Quiyonce said:

I'm of the opinion that SwSh wasn't unfinished as it was unpolished. There are definitely some flaws but the base game is solid enough as Pokémon games go. It's too early to tell if the DLC would be better than a third version/another pair but with the reduced price and what's seemingly a lot more content, it's hopefully at least a step in the right direction.

Yeah, I agree here. Sword and Shield feel a little unpolished, not unfinished. And this DLC looks to be a step in the right direction indeed.

Now I just wish GF didn't hate Amiibo. I mean, they were okay with having their players pay for this DLC, but not $15 for an Amiibo figure? Honestly hypocritical. They once said that they do not support Amiibo because they didn't want "kids to spend their money on it" or something like that.

It's why the Pokemon figures have been shafted, even in games they're compatible with. The Pokemon didn't get their own victory music in Super Mario Maker, for instance.

Edited by Anacybele

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I agree here. Sword and Shield feel a little unpolished, not unfinished. And this DLC looks to be a step in the right direction indeed.

I won't disagree with the statement of being an unpolished game instead of unfinished since I've seen a true unfinished game before (Steam is infested with unfinished games) and this game isn't one of them.

And while a DLC is much cheaper than a second version, it would have much better in a more polished Switch game.

But with the DLC, it's 90 US dollars for a game as polished as a 3DS game, aka over double the price. I wouldn't call that a good step in the right direction. They are basically trying to repair what they have broken (and that's not even all the issues this game has) and is charging you for it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A DLC ? For pokemon game ? That is unpolished as hell ?
Pay more, get less. Is this RT or what ?

No seriously that's pretty disgusting. They have the balls to lie multiple times, and after having said lies instantly told off, they pull off that ?

I fear for the future. I mean more than before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Wtf, why would they have told lies in the Direct? What I said came straight from there. And imo, the Wild Area was really big.

"We currently have no plans to make the Pokemon that are missing from the Galar Pokedex available in-game. This is an approach that we want to continue with in future Pokemon games. Up until now it hasn’t been possible to encounter every Pokemon in every game, so people had to transfer them from old games to the new game, by using Pokemon Bank for example."

And yet here we are updating old pokemon back into the game.

That and cutting to improve animations. Or caring about balance. Or what fits the region. Probably other lies I could give you that GF said but I those are the ones I remember.

18 hours ago, Quiyonce said:

I'm of the opinion that SwSh wasn't unfinished as it was unpolished. There are definitely some flaws but the base game is solid enough as Pokémon games go. It's too early to tell if the DLC would be better than a third version/another pair but with the reduced price and what's seemingly a lot more content, it's hopefully at least a step in the right direction.

Even if the DLC areas are insignificantly larger than the Wild Area, unless I'm mistaken the Wild Area is still larger than any postgame content we've had sans Johto. And there's two of them. That's quite a lot of content.

BW and B2W2 also have a ton a of post game that rival HGSS. Also no, the wild area's size (not even that big) doesn't mean there's more to do. It'd be nice if that were the case but it's so shallow.

12 hours ago, Dai said:

Looking at the list of confirmed returning Pokemon, and one of them is Blissey? That thing Dynamaxed sounds really nasty. That’s almost 1500 HP

Impressive hp but also useless. It'd just have four max guards (ok maybe one attack but still wouldn't be great), allow setting up, and be a waste of the dynamax. Sweepers are the ones who prefer to dynamax. Stall like blissey not only wastes it but also give up what makes them good for 3 turns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isnt it sad that GSC, on the GBC, compares in content to a switch game. It shouldnt even be close, really. Just an opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

"We currently have no plans to make the Pokemon that are missing from the Galar Pokedex available in-game. This is an approach that we want to continue with in future Pokemon games. Up until now it hasn’t been possible to encounter every Pokemon in every game, so people had to transfer them from old games to the new game, by using Pokemon Bank for example."

This wasn't a lie. Back then these DLC packs didn't exist and maybe were not even in development yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

"We currently have no plans to make the Pokemon that are missing from the Galar Pokedex available in-game. This is an approach that we want to continue with in future Pokemon games. Up until now it hasn’t been possible to encounter every Pokemon in every game, so people had to transfer them from old games to the new game, by using Pokemon Bank for example."

And yet here we are updating old pokemon back into the game.

That and cutting to improve animations. Or caring about balance. Or what fits the region. Probably other lies I could give you that GF said but I those are the ones I remember.

A lie is one thing, changing your mind is another. They weren’t intending to pull the wool from anyone’s eyes, they probably really were going to follow through with that until backlash was strong enough.

Imagine McDonalds saying they’ll never serve vegan hamburgers, only for a petition to gain traction supporting that option, and then for McDonalds to end up serving them after the fact. It wouldn’t make sense to call them “liars” because there never any deceit involved; that was merely a plan and they ending going against it. It’s the same case with Game Freak and the DLC.

Your other examples aren’t lies either, especially concerning the animations since they really did have to be changed for dynamaxing. At worst they’re just excuses, which granted are on weak side, but they’re reasons nonetheless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Silverly said:

Your other examples aren’t lies either, especially concerning the animations since they really did have to be changed for dynamaxing. At worst they’re just excuses, which granted are on weak side, but they’re reasons nonetheless. 

If they need excuses to sell their product/DLC, I think that says alot about their commitment, doesn't it? I agree with the above that says that the wild area isnt anything special enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bad product is not an unfinished or incomplete product. The lack of certain features is not the result of them whitholding them just to sell them later. It's a deliberste choice because they decided that the game did not need them. The DLC are not post-game, they seems to be mid-game content. Like, what is the point of going to train whit Leon old master if you already proven yourself better than Leon? 

Sword and shield have problems. But they can't be undone, and their problems are not that they need 2 more wild areas. Those DLC are clearly not paid patch notes, they are there own thing and should be judged as such. Obviously the fact that you need a subpar.game to access them is a problem, but not a death sentence. 

There are many people that consider Neverwinter Night 2 subpar but consider Mask of the Betrayer so good it justifies buying the whole game. Many of the problems ofnthe wild area came from the team inexperience whit open worlds, so it will be interesting to see if they learned anything. I won't buy the DLC, but my brother most certainly will, so i may as well try them before saying they are shit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A note on the inspirations behind the DLC’s two main locales.

If tCT is indeed inspired by Scotland, can we have something like Nessie? Moreso than Lapras? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...