Pokémon Sword and Shield News and Discussion: Isle of Armor out now

Lightchao42

I know we have a wifi topic for questions like this, but that topic seems to have died. I think it might be a better idea to ask a trading question here. Is there a kind soul around here that wants to trade my Boldore back and forth? To my surprise I found a shiny one in the wild.

As a 'rare' mon it earned itself a slot on my team, but I just need a little bit of help to make the most out of it.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to learn the hard way that Drednaw is part Rock type (and I realize this was one of the new Pokemon shown off a while back, but I must've not at all remembered what type it was). It looks nothing like one to me, so I lost to Nessa because I tried using moves that weren't effective against it. Not having a Grass type didn't help either though. The only one I've seen in the wild at this point is Gossifleur...

Did I miss one or more others I could've caught? Because I'm thinking I should go get one. I have an Electric type in Yamper, but Grass will do quadruple damage to a Water/Rock type and Drednaw has ridiculous defenses and somehow outspeeds everything despite that it looks slow as hell.

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I had to learn the hard way that Drednaw is part Rock type (and I realize this was one of the new Pokemon shown off a while back, but I must've not at all remembered what type it was). It looks nothing like one to me, so I lost to Nessa because I tried using moves that weren't effective against it. Not having a Grass type didn't help either though. The only one I've seen in the wild at this point is Gossifleur...

Did I miss one or more others I could've caught? Because I'm thinking I should go get one. I have an Electric type in Yamper, but Grass will do quadruple damage to a Water/Rock type and Drednaw has ridiculous defenses and somehow outspeeds everything despite that it looks slow as hell.

Eldegoss walls Nessa like nobody's business. It's really tanky for a Grass type.

And as someone raising a Dreadnaw, it's fast for a heavy ass turtle. 71 Speed at level 40 is shocking.

1 minute ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Eldegoss walls Nessa like nobody's business. It's really tanky for a Grass type.

And as someone raising a Dreadnaw, it's fast for a heavy ass turtle. 71 Speed at level 40 is shocking.

I don't really like the way that one looks. I'd rather get something else. I'll look around.

...Yeah, that just doesn't make sense. This thing, as you say, looks like a heavy ass turtle. 😕

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I don't really like the way that one looks. I'd rather get something else. I'll look around.

...Yeah, that just doesn't make sense. This thing, as you say, looks like a heavy ass turtle. 😕

If you're going for looks (though you might catch a Gossifleur for backup just in case), try hunting for Bounsweet, Oddish, Budew, or Cherubi in the Wild Area.

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

There's a budew in route 4 that you can use or you can catch one already evolved into a Roselia back in the wild area.

Otherwise an electric type like pikachu or bolthund or toxel should be able to handle it.  I personally used a bolthund against her.

Oh, since it's rock a good fighting type can be useful too. Although I don't remember if there's actually any available by that point.

Edited by NegativeExponents-
i meant toxel not towel

3 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

There's a budew in route 4 that you can use or you can catch one already evolved into a Roselia back in the wild area.

Otherwise an electric type like pikachu or bolthund or toxel should be able to handle it.  I personally used a bolthund against her.

Oh, since it's rock a good fighting type can be useful too. Although I don't remember if there's actually any available by that point.

Machop and Pancham, I believe. Farfetch'd too.

Edited by Sword_of_Dusk

Grass does quadruple damage though, so that's still my best bet. And I did encounter a Farfetch'd, but I'm not bothering with one again for awhile because I couldn't run from it and it proceeded to one-hit KO my Pokemon...and my Pokemon was still full health.

I went and caught an Applin...only to find that it's useless until it evolves. And it needs an item to evolve which I'm guessing I can't get yet. I want to evolve it into Flapple, because I think it looks cooler than Appletun. And that means I need an Apple Tart. I can remember that, at least.

I guess I'm going to go catch something else.

EDIT: I said I had an Electric type, Yamper. But it wasn't enough.

Edited by Anacybele

11 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Grass does quadruple damage though, so that's still my best bet. And I did encounter a Farfetch'd, but I'm not bothering with one again for awhile because I couldn't run from it and it proceeded to one-hit KO my Pokemon...and my Pokemon was still full health.

I went and caught an Applin...only to find that it's useless until it evolves. And it needs an item to evolve which I'm guessing I can't get yet. I want to evolve it into Flapple, because I think it looks cooler than Appletun. And that means I need an Apple Tart. I can remember that, at least.

I guess I'm going to go catch something else.

EDIT: I said I had an Electric type, Yamper. But it wasn't enough.

Apple tarts can be found in the wild area next to the trees. It's a low chance of finding one but you can go look for one if you want to evolve it right now.

Also yeah, yamper is bad until it evolves.

57 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Apple tarts can be found in the wild area next to the trees. It's a low chance of finding one but you can go look for one if you want to evolve it right now.

Also yeah, yamper is bad until it evolves.

That could take forever though. I read up on where I can find one later and that looks easier.

As for Yamper, well, it's only one level away from evolving now after I did a little grinding, but I'm going to try again now and if I still have trouble, I'll either go evolve it or catch something else.

I find Dottler to be pretty good during the early game cause it has access to both Reflect and Light Screen.

It evolves into Orbeetle which also isn’t too shabby. Bonus points for Gigantamax Orbeetle being a UFO. 

Speaking of Gigantamax, are Gigantamax Pokemon only found through raids? So is it possible to breed or find a wild Pokemon that can Gigantamax? 

Also, anyone knows what the point of ribbons is. I have an Appletun with a Dozy Ribbon and I’m not sure what’s the point of it. 

25 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

Speaking of Gigantamax, are Gigantamax Pokemon only found through raids? So is it possible to breed or find a wild Pokemon that can Gigantamax? 

Also, anyone knows what the point of ribbons is. I have an Appletun with a Dozy Ribbon and I’m not sure what’s the point of it. 

You have to catch a G-Max Pokémon in a raid. You can't breed the G-Max trait. I find that dumb, but oh well.

As for ribbons, I don't believe they've ever been for anything other than fluff. Except in Gen 3 and its remakes, where it serves as a proof of Contest victory.

Edited by Sword_of_Dusk

It really is disappointing that the Pokemon in the Wild Area do nothing but walk around. I liked how Breath of the Wild had the monsters hunting, or talking with one another. Even sleeping. I had a bit more joy seeing a Yamper in the route chase me and rear on its hind legs.

1 hour ago, Dai said:

It really is disappointing that the Pokemon in the Wild Area do nothing but walk around. I liked how Breath of the Wild had the monsters hunting, or talking with one another. Even sleeping. I had a bit more joy seeing a Yamper in the route chase me and rear on its hind legs.

I kinda like how different Pokemon reacts differently to you. Beheeyem teleports away. Butterfree gets nervous and tries to fly away from you (but fail). Bisharp chases you down.  Linoone runs in an unpredictable pattern. Gallade stares at you for a few seconds and then suddenly charges toward you. And then you have Corsola that kinda just lies in the grass.

My favourite is the area around the first Nursery where Stufful, Spritzee and Minccino would run towards you and then try to get your attention by dancing around or making a ‘let’s play’ motion.

i agree that giving interactions between Pokemon themselves would be great though 

Edited by zuibangde

I finally decided to do the postgame yesterday and honestly, the plot for that should have been in the main game instead of the barely existant plot the main game had.

Also, catching Zacian was a pain. A single swords dance and it could basically ohko all of my team. But at the same time it was surprisingly frail and I ended up knocking it like 10 times by accident before actually catching it.

Shame there wasn't really anything to do after that.

I tried the league rematches but for some asinine reason the challengers are still lower level than Leon's pokemons in the main game. Why are postgame trainers lower than those from the main campaign?!  Heck, they are lower than the last battle with Hop that has his pokemon at 70. Why are they lower than the battle you are required to do before even attempting them?

At least Hop still kept his pokemon at level 70 in the rematches and Leon increases his team to match Hop's. Still wish they were higher though instead of staying pretty static.

Now that I completed the game after playing non stop for 3 days (I beat it on Monday? I don't remember if it was on Monday or Sunday Night), I can join here without have spoilers on my face. My Main Team was: Rillaboom (great starter), Corviknight (Fying/Steel is a good combination), Centiskorch (A Gigantamax one, and he was my greatest surprise! Probably my favorite one), Galarian Rapidash (She was so needed), Toxtricity (I used a Boltund for half of the game, but then I got this one in a Raid battle and decided to change it) and Crawdaunt (got it in a raid battle as a Corphish, and the dark type was very welcomed in my team).

The game is not that hard, but I liked that the EXP Share on always was not a problems, because the levels on wild Pokémon and trainers increase pretty fast. The only gym that I had not a easy time was the 8th Gym, because of his final Pokémon that is Dragon/Steel. But it was not that bad.

Nessa was the easiest one!!! I even didn't Dynamax i nthat battle, and my Thwackey destroyed her Drednaw. My Yamper destroyed the others Pokémon.

I really liked the game, and now I am working in complete the Pokédex. Right now I am at 301/400. If someone needs help with trading or need some Pokémon, I believe I can help. I will also need help in getting some exclusive, since I have Pokémon Shield.

5 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I finally decided to do the postgame yesterday and honestly, the plot for that should have been in the main game instead of the barely existant plot the main game had.

Also, catching Zacian was a pain. A single swords dance and it could basically ohko all of my team. But at the same time it was surprisingly frail and I ended up knocking it like 10 times by accident before actually catching it.

Shame there wasn't really anything to do after that.

I tried the league rematches but for some asinine reason the challengers are still lower level than Leon's pokemons in the main game. Why are postgame trainers lower than those from the main campaign?!  Heck, they are lower than the last battle with Hop that has his pokemon at 70. Why are they lower than the battle you are required to do before even attempting them?

At least Hop still kept his pokemon at level 70 in the rematches and Leon increases his team to match Hop's. Still wish they were higher though instead of staying pretty static.

Yeah. The Post Game plot was way more interesting. The "Weirdo Duo" should have been the leaders of a evil team, like... "Team Knight", "Team Royal", or something...

There are some characters that were not that useful at all in the story. Marnie? Great design, amazing battle theme... useless in the story. Professor Magnolia is also there just to be there.

Interesting that Zacian was a pain to catch, because I didn't have problems in catching Zamazenta. Toxtricity, being Eletric/Poison, was able to tank Zamazenta's fighting and steel moves, and Thunder Wave also helped me.

I just caught Cramorant, but... it was right after she used Dive, and she had a Pikachu in her mouth...

...can I keep the Pikachu to?

...so anyway, only up to Circhester right now, but I don't know why people were being down on this game yet. I'm also glad I remained relatively unspoiled, because I'm still being taken by surprise by some of the new pokemon I've been seeing (...how the heck is Arctozolt existing?). My team so far, or at least the ones who haven't been replaced yet, are Rillaboom, Bewear, Weezing, and Bronzong, and the ones I used up to a point are Thieval (replaced almost as soon as she evolved), Perrserker (really just wanted Galar Meowth to evolve), and Vespiquen (would have kept using, but I have this thing where I need to be using at least three new pokemon/new alternate forms, and Bronzong just feels much better as a tank anyway...)

...really thought Rillaboom was gonna be fighting type though...