Pokémon Sword and Shield News and Discussion: Isle of Armor out now

Lightchao42

Gen VIII is finally here! Use this thread to discuss anything you want about the new games. You can find the official site here.

But first, what do we know about them?

• Our three starters are Grookey (Grass), Scorbunny (Fire), and Sobble (Water).
  • Takes place in the Galar region, which seems to be based on Great Britain?
  • As usual, you have to go through Gyms and aim to become the Champion.
Edited by Lightchao42

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gonna post this again:

I loved the Water starter. But I’m betting everyone will think the Water starter is stupid but will love it’s final evolution also people will love the fire bunny but will hate it’s final evolution and will hate the fact that it is bipedal.

And I get the feeling that the starters will have a sports theme.

Sword and Shield?? Didn’t see that one coming.

None of the starters really caught my interest. Closest one to being okay is Scorbunny but ehhhh. Loving the UK region though, and I like the female trainer’s look. Pretty cute outfit. Kinda disappointed there wasn’t really a “jump” in graphical style, and I’m pretty shocked we didn’t see the box legends (unless we don’t have those this time??).

All in all I’m looking forward to see what this generation brings.

27 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I gonna post this again:

I loved the Water starter. But I’m betting everyone will think the Water starter is stupid but will love it’s final evolution also people will love the fire bunny but will hate it’s final evolution and will hate the fact that it is bipedal.

And I get the feeling that the starters will have a sports theme.

I mean, it's literally a chao but a salamander body. It's not awful mind, but I also assume we're also going to have to get used to exclusively 3d art for the series too, so that's a possible issue. (And yes, so far I'm all for Grookey.)

I've already said UK as the inspiration, but I should probably clarify it as GB (Because there's no NI in it. This matters because they didn't lump Ireland in the UK, while once again showing that Nintendo don't remember Ireland exists? Probably confirms Ireland won't get in any future title, because with it so small in comparison why would they?). Also, pretty sure we see a stadium. Is the Pokeathlon coming back? I'd be on board.

@UNLEASH IT The weather's really mild right now, it's over 20 in places there and sunny too.

Edited by Dayni

I took a better look at the map, and I think I found most of the gyms.
There’s a Grass Gym near the London like city. There’s a Water Gym near the lighthouse. I think there’s a Dark Gym in the east snowy area. There’s a either Rock or Ground gym in the west mountain. There’s also a Ghost or Poison Gym in the west forest. Anyone alse saw more Gyms?

When I saw the region start with windmills I briefly thought my country would be getting some pokemon representation. Ah well, the Uk is pretty cool as well.

The starters are alright, but so far Sobble is the only one that really spoke to me. Its strange that water is the starter that catches my eye the most for once.

Definitely was surprised that they revealed so much so early. Starters are especially...round. Like Funko Pops. Not that my opinion on them matters when I'm contractually obligated to pick the grass starter. Camera still appears to be fixed in these shots, but it's looking much less top-down. If we're always looking north, hopefully we'll at least be able to see environments in the distance that we'll eventually travel to.

So I watched this trailer because the 3 starters are the one thing I wanted spoiled for myself so I can decide in advance but I will not watch a single trailer after that until release so I can discover the new pokémon as I play the game.

I managed to do this much for the 6th and 7th generation and it made them so enjoyable. 

Eh. Seems like another case of "you play one, you've played them all". I'll at least give Sun and Moon credit for trying something new even though it didn't really work out in the end. I'm not into the competitive aspect so I'll skip this gen.

Visually, Galar looks cool. Not a fan of how linear it appears to be though. You literally just go north.

The starters look terrible. Some serious cases of same face (or head) syndrome going on here.

Genuianly surprised they didn't show the Legendaries because that's usually one of the first things they show. 

I'm not impressed so far but i'm at least interested.

1 hour ago, redlight said:

Eh. Seems like another case of "you play one, you've played them all". I'll at least give Sun and Moon credit for trying something new even though it didn't really work out in the end. I'm not into the competitive aspect so I'll skip this gen.

Is it really a bad thing that they are sticking to the usual formula? Most major game franchises do that, such as Mario, Kingdom Hearts, Persona, Animal Crossing and so on.

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

Is it really a bad thing that they are sticking to the usual formula? Most major game franchises do that, such as Mario, Kingdom Hearts, Persona, Animal Crossing and so on.

Pokemon regions have had a long history of being non-linear:

• Generations I and II offered substantial freedom of direction once you got to the fourth gym leader.
  • Generations III and IV had a more linear progression, but still criss-crossed over the region quite a bit. There was also a bit of freedom in Hoenn's lategame and Sinnoh's midgame, if less than Kanto and Johto.
  • Generation V had a more linear progression, but Unova still had a wheel shape, even if the game didn't let you explore the whole thing until the postgame. The sequels mixed up the progression order a bit too.
  • Generation VI had a pinwheel-shaped region with a central hub city that made getting around simpler, even with the linear progression.
  • Generation VII used an island chain, and you don't visit them fully left to right.

Depending on when the fast-travel method becomes available it could make backtracking a chore.

EDIT: To add my own point to the thread, I'm curious about the wolf heads adorning the sword and shield in the logo. Is this a nod to a new lupine Pokemon in the region, possibly even the cover legendaries?

Edited by X-Naut

I am somewhat optimistic for Sword and Shield. First off, the first thing I thought of when I heard the titles were called Sword and Shield was Aegislash, he better be an obtainable Pokémon in this region. Galar region looks somewhat like the Kalos region to me which isn't a bad thing but it is at least refreshing to me after having the main games having a more tropical feel back to back with Hoenn remakes and the Alolan games. The playable trainers look interesting too since it looks like we are going back to being teenagers and will most likely be customizable again. Hopefully customization is more like X/Y and Sun/Moon then the Let's Go game.

Seems like we are going back to gyms as well which is fine with me since island challenges and totem battles were pretty meh to me since they were either too easy or battles dragged out too long unless you one shot the boss with a z-move and also were pretty unbalanced with the whole two enemies versus your one Pokémon.

Starters are also pretty meh to me but I stopped caring about starter Pokemon after Emerald. For some reason the eighth gen Pokémon's design make me think of the beta designs for the Johto Pokémon so unless one of them have an awesome looking final evolution I'm probably going to box my starter as soon as I can. Also not expecting that many 'new' Pokémon since even number generation tend to have less new ones but I also wonder if we will get new evolutions for older Pokémon, like Eevee for example, or new regional variants like the Alolan forms.

So yeah, Galar region itself looks great but I could care less about the starter Pokémon themselves.