Pokémon Sword and Shield News and Discussion: Isle of Armor out now

Lightchao42

5 hours ago, Purple Mage said:

Some fantasy element to it. Perhaps something based on Arthurian legend?

Looks like Arthurian legend has a high chance of being a theme here. I'm not well versed in Arthurian legend outside of the really basic stuff. Do wolves have any relevance in those tales? Because going by the logos alone, our Legendary mascots this time will be wolves.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Looks like Arthurian legend has a high chance of being a theme here. I'm not well versed in Arthurian legend outside of the really basic stuff. Do wolves have any relevance in those tales? Because going by the logos alone, our Legendary mascots this time will be wolves.

I've been thinking that the mascots could be "king in the mountain" types where they helped found the region and later went to sleep until Galar needs them again. King Arthur is a well known example of this archetype, so it would fit.

And hey, Black and White had legendaries based on the Three Musketeers (in a region based on New York...), so taking from Arthurian legend wouldn't be too strange.

Thinking on Arthurian legend from what little I've read- just Le Morte D'Arthur, I'm not quite sure who or what they'd reference. Besides Arthur, Lancelot stands out as another obvious pick, Guinevere, Tristan & Isolde, Gawain, and Galahad are all the top figures I think, and there is Merlin and Morgan I guess. Arthurian legend is dense though, I think it originates in Wales, goes to England, crosses the channel to France- where Lancelot gets added, and then returns back to Britain. 

Thinking on typing, the one thing that pops into my head is Arthur's father- Uther Pendragon. I don't think we need yet another Dragon Legendary though.

Although to think on the Musketeer quartet, how much do they really recall their inspiration? They have a lot of creative freedom I think.

Not sure what they've been doing for the 3rd member of the boxart legendary trinity, I stopped with Black and White, but what would be the companion to Sword and Shield? Would it be a Pokemon both Sword and Shield? Would it be Magic, Knowledge, the Heart/Soul, a Bow or Spear? I'd assume the Shield would be very tanky, and the Sword very powerful, but how in lore would this work? A villain group to me sounds more interested in a Sword to rule over all than a Shield which protects.

31 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not sure what they've been doing for the 3rd member of the boxart legendary trinity, I stopped with Black and White, but what would be the companion to Sword and Shield? Would it be a Pokemon both Sword and Shield? Would it be Magic, Knowledge, the Heart/Soul, a Bow or Spear? I'd assume the Shield would be very tanky, and the Sword very powerful, but how in lore would this work? A villain group to me sounds more interested in a Sword to rule over all than a Shield which protects.

Perhaps something that thematically is the opposite, but balanced?

At least that's how the big trios tend to be themed. Two opposite forces that together are also in opposite to the third one. Air to Water/Land. Antimatter to Spacetime. Wuji to Yin-Yang. Absorption of light to giving off Sunlight/Moonlight. I'm not fully sure on the Gen VI's trio. Life and Death, but not sure what the third is meant to be outside balancing them. Maybe stasis? Beats me.

Anyway, if the sword and shield and meant to be offensive and defensive, then something that should be opposite to them? Or both being physical then to that? So something related to "magic" or ranged physical? That would be one of my guesses.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Thinking on Arthurian legend from what little I've read- just Le Morte D'Arthur, I'm not quite sure who or what they'd reference. Besides Arthur, Lancelot stands out as another obvious pick, Guinevere, Tristan & Isolde, Gawain, and Galahad are all the top figures I think, and there is Merlin and Morgan I guess. Arthurian legend is dense though, I think it originates in Wales, goes to England, crosses the channel to France- where Lancelot gets added, and then returns back to Britain. 

You're right about Lancelot: neither he, nor his son Galahad were original parts of Arthurian Legend; they were French OC fan-fic characters. 

I would take how Gawain is portrayed in Le Morte D'Arthur with a grain of salt; the medieval French writers intentionally worsened Gawain's character to try and make Lancelot and Galahad look good. If you want good stories on Sir Gawain, I suggest you read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and Sir Gawain and the Dame Ragnell

The obvious picks in terms of people to reference would be Arthur, Gawain, Guinevere, Merlin and Morgan.

For things they could reference, there's The Questing Beast, The Round Table, The Sword in the Stone, Excalibur (they are not the same sword; Excalibur was given to Arthur by the Lady of the Lake after the Sword in the Stone broke during a battle), and Dinas Emrys: an actual Welsh mountain where two dragons fought: a red dragon that represented the Britons (interesting fact: the Welsh flag is a red dragon), and a white dragon that represented the invading Saxons. I really hope that that last one gets a reference. 

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Thinking on typing, the one thing that pops into my head is Arthur's father- Uther Pendragon. I don't think we need yet another Dragon Legendary though.

Not only was Uther and Arthur's last name Pendragon, but Arthur's shield crest was the red dragon that I mentioned earlier. 

15 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Anyway, if the sword and shield and meant to be offensive and defensive, then something that should be opposite to them? Or both being physical then to that? So something related to "magic" or ranged physical? That would be one of my guesses.

I think it would be something that completes the set, so to speak. A lot of people have mentioned bow and magic, but it could also be armour or even lance.

52 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Scottish reprobate female MC is already my headcanon, and I'm loving it

Image result for pokemon sword and shield angry scot

Image may contain: text

2uyk3u.jpg

I think all of this makes me want to do female MC. As well as Elsie Lovelock’s dub of two twitter posts like these.

On 2/28/2019 at 12:42 PM, henrymidfields said:

I just hope the battles for this one would be easier and quicker than Sun and Moon. Or at least an option would be available, and the battles more straightforward with simple type machups like in the earlier Gens. I'm really thinking about using my Gen 5-6 Pokemon from the Bank or give up Sun and Moon altogether because of the difficulty and the sluggishness from what some people previously mentioned.

I mean, Gen 7 being sluggish might be because you're using an older console and it really slows down on anything before the New DS lines. Hell, Moon crashed a couple times on my 3DS XL, a concept that surprised me.

Well, I would fully disagree on some of Gen 7 being slow or frustrating but as I was getting back into US I got enraged because of one battle where the Dewpider just kept getting reinforcements which led to my defeat more than once, confirming to me that No, that mechanic is a pain in the backside. Also, yeah I understand, but a lot of it has been built up from Gen 6 anyway (I probably got through Y mainly because the Exp Share allowed me to try for variety in the party).

On 2/28/2019 at 12:53 PM, Purple Mage said:

The trailer has me HYPED! Even though I don't own a Switch, I'm so excited! There's a few things I'm kinda hoping for.

1. The Vanillite line should be in Galar's regional dex. IIRC, Vanilluxe was based on some sort of British double-scoop ice cream.
2. Tri Attack as a TM. Come on, Game Freak did it with Let's Go, why not make this cool move even more widespread?
3. Some fantasy element to it. Perhaps something based on Arthurian legend?
4. Perhaps split the region into distinct parts like Kalos/Alola did? We can have a separate dex for Wales, England, Scotland, and maybe even Ireland!

That's all I could think of for now. I'm really loving the design of it. The world looks so BIG! Nintendo's really upping their worldbuilding in the Switch. Just look at Odyssey, BotW, and even the Three Houses trailer! I'm so excited!

Tri Attack probably got it in Let's Go as it was a Gen 1 TM. I don't think I disagree though, at least make it a move tutor move.

With 3, I would assume so. I wonder to what extent, which part of the region and what everything will be based off of. I assume Arthurian lore will show up in some form.

On 4, it seems like there's no hint of Ireland being in it, which is likely Nintendo never remembering Ireland exists (see us being lumped into their UK operations) or possibly wanting to avoid that controversy considering the history.

I don't think I noticed too much as it was in the trailer, I guess I'll see what analysis finds out.

6 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

I think all of this makes me want to do female MC. As well as Elsie Lovelock’s dub of two twitter posts like these.

That isn't a real Scottish accent because I can actually understand most of what's she's saying. This is a real Scottish accent

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 2:02 AM, Slumber said:
  • Not-Big Ben

That's funny, I didn't see anything bell-shaped in the trailer...

Edited by NinjaMonkey

3 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

That's funny, I didn't see anything bell-shaped in the trailer...

Look in lower left side of the “London” city on the map and you’ll see a suspicious clock tower that totally isn’t inspired by Big Ben.

17 minutes ago, Silverly said:

Look in lower left side of the “London” city on the map and you’ll see a suspicious clock tower that totally isn’t inspired by Big Ben.

Big Ben is the name of the largest bell inside the tower, the tower itself is called Elizabeth Tower.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

6 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Big Ben is the name of the largest bell inside the tower, the tower itself is called Elizabeth Tower.

The name Big Ben is often used to refer to both the bell and the clock tower itself.  Calling it the ‘Elizabeth Tower’ didn’t catch on until the official renaming in 2012. I doubt many outside the country would really know about the renaming.

Something I just thought of: with the 3D layout of this game, it would be great to see a town or city based on Edinburgh:

Imagine a city or town almost entirely on a hill, with every path going uphill or downhill and branching from one big road (the royal mile) that goes all the way up to the top of the hill, where there's a castle that could be a gym, a museum (since there often is one in Pokémon games) or some other important building for the Galar Region. 

On 3/2/2019 at 4:10 AM, Dayni said:

I mean, Gen 7 being sluggish might be because you're using an older console and it really slows down on anything before the New DS lines. Hell, Moon crashed a couple times on my 3DS XL, a concept that surprised me.

Well, I would fully disagree on some of Gen 7 being slow or frustrating but as I was getting back into US I got enraged because of one battle where the Dewpider just kept getting reinforcements which led to my defeat more than once, confirming to me that No, that mechanic is a pain in the backside. Also, yeah I understand, but a lot of it has been built up from Gen 6 anyway (I probably got through Y mainly because the Exp Share allowed me to try for variety in the party).

Not so much the hardware issue, as battles take more turns than what I like (including what you've said), and opposing Pokemon in general (and some wild ones in particular) using type-countering moves when I just want to level grind, and don't want to spend more than 1-2 battle turns (and sometimes with a downed Pokemon in the process) each in the process.

Edited by henrymidfields

I'm excited for these games! Especially if the hints of Kalos possibly being in are true. I'd love to have two regions again, and Kalos is great because France.

I'm totally picking Scorbunny, btw. CUTE FIRE BUNNY!

On 28.2.2019 at 7:59 PM, Armagon said:

Well, there is one that I'm aware of "Lai of Melion" in which one of King Arthurs knights gets turned into a wolf and betrayed.

That one at least came to mind

Here's a brief reveal of some mildly new information!

As previously established, Gyms are back, but they're bigger than before and Gym Leaders are called Gym Masters now. Also, it seems the stadium seen in the first trailer is a Gym.

And we may also have our first new Pokémon leak.

https://twitter.com/ninsoup/status/1104108222766559234

Said to be the Bug/Dragon some fans have been asking for for awhile. Looks okay, I guess. But it's just a rumor, so there's no confirmation on whether this is real or not.

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Here's a brief reveal of some mildly new information!

As previously established, Gyms are back, but they're bigger than before and Gym Leaders are called Gym Masters now. Also, it seems the stadium seen in the first trailer is a Gym.

I can't help but think Gym Masters is a typo. But who knows...

https://twitter.com/PokemonSwordNS/status/1104557883667214336

Looks like that armored evolution thing is real. This trademark is no coincidence.

Sigh...now I'm a bit less excited, because I REALLY didn't want more Kanto pandering like this. If it has to be Kanto Pokémon, why can't it be some that haven't gotten anything, like Rapidash or something? I'd love Rapidash to have a new thing, it's my favorite. There are a bunch of Kanto Pokémon that didn't get a Mega or Alolan form. Mewtwo got TWO Megas. It doesn't need armor, give other Pokémon a chance to shine like this.

I can only hope that besides Mewtwo, Pokémon like Rapidash DO get this. Rapidash is a horse (technically unicorn, but yeah) as well, which fits with the medieval theme kinda going on here.

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

https://twitter.com/PokemonSwordNS/status/1104557883667214336

Looks like that armored evolution thing is real. This trademark is no coincidence.

Sigh...now I'm a bit less excited, because I REALLY didn't want more Kanto pandering like this. If it has to be Kanto Pokémon, why can't it be some that haven't gotten anything, like Rapidash or something? I'd love Rapidash to have a new thing, it's my favorite. There are a bunch of Kanto Pokémon that didn't get a Mega or Alolan form. Mewtwo got TWO Megas. It doesn't need armor, give other Pokémon a chance to shine like this.

I can only hope that besides Mewtwo, Pokémon like Rapidash DO get this. Rapidash is a horse (technically unicorn, but yeah) as well, which fits with the medieval theme kinda going on here.

There's a chance this isn't the case, as Armored Mewtwo is from the original Pokemon Movie, which is about to get a 3D remake. So it's possible it's simply related to that instead, and possible it'll transfer over to Gen 8 similarly to Ash-Greninja, as just a standalone form.

I don't have a major issue with Armored Mewtwo honestly, as long as it stays to just it. It'd be a fun little reference and a tie-in to the "new" movie. But I really, REALLY hope it doesn't actually go beyond that.

3 minutes ago, Emerson said:

There's a chance this isn't the case, as Armored Mewtwo is from the original Pokemon Movie, which is about to get a 3D remake. So it's possible it's simply related to that instead, and possible it'll transfer over to Gen 8 similarly to Ash-Greninja, as just a standalone form.

I don't have a major issue with Armored Mewtwo honestly, as long as it stays to just it. It'd be a fun little reference and a tie-in to the "new" movie. But I really, REALLY hope it doesn't actually go beyond that.

Ah, yeah, that's a good point. Though I'm not getting my hopes up. The same guy who correctly said the games' names as well as what the region's based on also says armored evolutions are going to happen.