Pokémon Sword and Shield News and Discussion: Isle of Armor out now

Lightchao42

59 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

That is now outright confirmed, which is very curious. I didn't expect Psychic but it fits it quite well.

Probably with something about purifying polluted water with its horn and maybe the whole empathy towards virgins thing.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the Psychic type. That's lame... And why is it Psychic type when it completely looks Fairy and unicorns are known for being magical fantasy creatures like fairies? Magic is associated more with fairies and wizards and stuff, not psychic abilities. Doesn't fit at all. I think GameFreak got this one wrong. I guess I can hope it evolves into a Psychic/Fairy Rapidash, but not getting my hopes up anymore.

Being Shield exclusive sucks for me too, because I was going to make Sword my main version and still want to since I prefer that one's legendary. If I have to play through Shield until late in the game to get this Ponyta for Sword, I guess I won't be using it in my Sword team at all. No point when I want to play through Sword entirely first.

Edited by Anacybele

On 10/9/2019 at 12:54 PM, lightcosmo said:

Psychic, huh? Not bad at all. Not that I think using Kanto pokemon again is interesting, but oh well.

Yeah; it would be good to see some gen 2 or even gen 3 Galarian Pokémon. It's one reason I've been suggesting a Galarian Whismur/Loudred/Exploud that's a Bagpiper. 

My other ideas include a Galarian Ariados that has a more tartan colour scheme and the spike on its head becomes an axe-head (it's a reference to Robert the Bruce and a legend about him witnessing a spider weaving a web inspiring him to continue his fight against England). It would be Bug/Fighting.

15 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Yeah; it would be good to see some gen 2 or even gen 3 Galarian Pokémon. It's one reason I've been suggesting a Galarian Whismur/Loudred/Exploud that's a Bagpiper. 

My other ideas include a Galarian Ariados that has a more tartan colour scheme and the spike on its head becomes an axe-head (it's a reference to Robert the Bruce and a legend about him witnessing a spider weaving a web inspiring him to continue his fight against England). It would be Bug/Fighting.

I don't mean to imply I dislike the Kanto region of Pokémon, just that, like you said, Pokémon like Ariados could use some care as well. Here's to hoping! 

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

I don't mean to imply I dislike the Kanto region of Pokémon, just that, like you said, Pokémon like Ariados could use some care as well. Here's to hoping! 

Oh; I understood what you meant. I knew you simply meant that they were being overused and that gen 2 or 3 Pokémon should see some Galarian versions. 

Yeah; here's to hoping (especially for a Bagpiper Exploud). 

Another idea I just came up with: a Galarian Makuhita/Hariyama that is a Highland Games Champion. It would carry an object from  Highland Games event, such as a caber, a hammer (the Highland Games version of the hammer toss uses a metal ball attached to a stick), or a rock (Stone Put; similar to shot put). 

2 hours ago, Dai said:

Corocoro just dropped some Gigantamax forms. Pikachu’s is the best. CLASSIC FAT PIKACHU.

The leak is getting more and more real. It was pretty spot-on already, but still

Kinda mixed on these designs. Meowth is okay, Charizard is awesome and not a fan of the other two.

The basament cat is the stone age of memes lol. And i am not too happy about Charizard getting yet another new forms. It was bound to happen because of the champion, but at this point we are approching Frieza level. 

Still waiting for Tyranizilla and King Ghydreigon.

56 minutes ago, redlight said:

Charizard is awesome and not a fan of the other two.

Charizard makes me giggle because it just reminds me of ShineGreymon Burst Mode, what with the flaming wings.

From the website, Longcat Meowth is an early purchase bonus and Pikachu and Eevee are obtained from having save data of their respective Let's Go! games. None of them can evolve.

Either way, Butterfree wins among this batch for being a Mothra reference. Now we just need Godzilla and King Ghidorah...

Holy shit, I am incredibly disappointed. All of the ones shown are Kanto Pokémon, two of them require sixty dollars apiece as you need Let’s Go to get Pikachu and Eevee, and Meowth is time-locked?

That’s just terrible.

With Poltergeist the Tea Pokémon, we have an English Pokémon. With Galarian Ponyta being a Unicorn, we have a Scottish Pokémon. Now, with Gigantamax Meowth, we have a Welsh Pokémon: Long-Cat-Bad. 

Spoiler

If you don't get it, it is a reference to a Welsh YouTuber named MauLer who is famous for making very long video series analyzing movies and games. "Long Man Bad" is a popular meme that references those who criticize his videos solely for their length without actually watching them. 

As for the others, Gigantamax Charizard looks cool, Butterfree's interesting, but Pikachu and Eevee look kind-of... the same? The only difference I can tell between Gigantamax Pikachu and a big Pikachu is the Gigantamax Pikachu is slightly fatter and has a more crooked tail. 

Hmm, quite the odd direction with Gigantamax Meowth. I take it there's no relation or reference to the Cait Sidhe? Speaking of, the regional cat Pokémon totally has to be a reference to that... would be cool.

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

The only difference I can tell between Gigantamax Pikachu and a big Pikachu is the Gigantamax Pikachu is slightly fatter and has a more crooked tail. 

See @Dai assertion it's "Gen 1 pre-Yellow classic Pikachu". To provide visual reference:

Spr_1g_025.pngSpr_1b_025.png200px-PikachuBaseSet58.png

Compare with Yellow's sprite:

Spr_1y_025.png

It isn't an enormous difference, but Pikachu did lose a little weight as part of its first anime contract. Obeseachu hasn't been a thing since then.

I do share in the criticism this is all Gen 1. Not a good sign.

It isn't like Pokemon even have character to them, they're wild beasts. Ignoring the other Gens isn't like ignoring 50% of Archanea's/Thracia's cast or a bunch of Tellius's RD additions, who have little character to work with. Swoobat and Zubat are both Thracia or are both *insert richly developed FE cast*.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hmm, quite the odd direction with Gigantamax Meowth. I take it there's no relation or reference to the Cait Sidhe? Speaking of, the regional cat Pokémon totally has to be a reference to that... would be cool.

Agreed, though Sidhe is the Irish spelling of that word; Sith is the Scottish spelling (same pronunciation; I'm only bringing it up because the region's based on Britain). 

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

See @Dai assertion it's "Gen 1 pre-Yellow classic Pikachu". To provide visual reference:

Spr_1y_025.png

It isn't an enormous difference, but Pikachu did lose a little weight as part of its first anime contract. Obeseachu hasn't been a thing since then.

I do share in the criticism this is all Gen 1. Not a good sign.

Thank you. As I said; the only difference being that he's fatter and has a more crooked tail. But yeah; it is more of a difference than I made it sound; I agree to that. 

I'm a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Meowth and i'm thrilled that we get one as a mystery gift, but I don't like that, all 5 of these Pokémon are Gen 1. I am glad Butterfree is getting something while it's counterpart Beedrill got a mega in ORAS in favor of it, but did we really need more pandering for Pikachu, Eevee and Charizard, and Gen 1 in general? In Gen 6 we got the Kanto Starters really early in the game for some reason, with megasotones mind you. Then in Gen 7, all alola forms were Kanto Pokémon, and we get a Gen 1 remake. Haven"t we had enough Gen 1 for a little bit?

I love Sifetch'd, he look so smug, and cool, and stylish and his weapons are so freaking badass.
In french, he is called Palatircho. Pala is probably for Paladin, since his japanese name is Begiganaito, Tircho from artichaut, even though it's not a freaking artichoke, it's a japanese leek.

Gigantamax leave me with mixed feeling with me rather disliking it. I like the concept, but on the other hand... is it really necessay to transform our pokemon into obligatory giant/titan things that look like a derived product from alolan Exeggutor ? And we already have one thing, it's called mega-evolution. Freaking capitalize on it.
But nooooooooooooo...

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Spr_1y_025.png

I've seen the reference, I actually really liked it.
Still don't change my mind on it, but it's cool to see they did not forgot the Pikachu from old and decided to reference it.

On 10/16/2019 at 12:26 PM, B.Leu said:

Gigantamax leave me with mixed feeling with me rather disliking it. I like the concept, but on the other hand... is it really necessay to transform our pokemon into obligatory giant/titan things that look like a derived product from alolan Exeggutor ? And we already have one thing, it's called mega-evolution. Freaking capitalize on it.
But nooooooooooooo...

Megas are just super restrictive unfortunately by design. If everything could use something like it and get a stat buff, that'd be one thing, but megas get restricted to specific Pokemon.
For the record, that'd be fine if they'd not handled it like shit. Half the Pokemon they gave Megas were already good and didn't need it.

Dynamax is kinda addressing that issue the best it can. It can be used by everything. Gigantamax forms, I HOPE, get spread about a bit more than we've seen, but we'll have to wait before we know that for sure. Currently, the forms (discounting Pikachu, Eevee and Meowth since those are moreso just promotional additions, especially considering they're pre-evolved forms) only have 5 total Pokemon right now, 2 Kanto and 3 Galar, so there's absolutely going to be more Gigantamax forms.

On a personal note, I'm a little worried about Gigantamax Charizard. Not because it's another Charizard form, but because I was really hoping they'd use Mega Evolutions for Gigantamax forms, given we know Z-Moves and Mega Evolution aren't returning. While I wouldn't put it past GF to give Charizard Gigantamax forms, if they don't, that's actually a bit more worrying to me than if they do. 

17 hours ago, Emerson said:

Megas are just super restrictive unfortunately by design. If everything could use something like it and get a stat buff, that'd be one thing, but megas get restricted to specific Pokemon.
For the record, that'd be fine if they'd not handled it like shit. Half the Pokemon they gave Megas were already good and didn't need it.

Dynamax is kinda addressing that issue the best it can. It can be used by everything. Gigantamax forms, I HOPE, get spread about a bit more than we've seen, but we'll have to wait before we know that for sure. Currently, the forms (discounting Pikachu, Eevee and Meowth since those are moreso just promotional additions, especially considering they're pre-evolved forms) only have 5 total Pokemon right now, 2 Kanto and 3 Galar, so there's absolutely going to be more Gigantamax forms.

On a personal note, I'm a little worried about Gigantamax Charizard. Not because it's another Charizard form, but because I was really hoping they'd use Mega Evolutions for Gigantamax forms, given we know Z-Moves and Mega Evolution aren't returning. While I wouldn't put it past GF to give Charizard Gigantamax forms, if they don't, that's actually a bit more worrying to me than if they do. 

Well, I also don't like how they Kaiju-ify the pokemons. 😛

Dynamax, I can actually get behind, since everyone can use it. Z moves and Mega evolution in one package, The problem is, we already have mega evolution and Z moves
So it's another case of gameplay mechanics being abandoned, worse, mechanics that were actually used by everyone.
I do agree with you on the fact that mega is restrictive, it lead to slow as a hell kind of race for doing a mega form, and it's frankly annoying, but still.

But those guys decide to put Gigantamax any-freaking-way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wouldn't it have been simpler to just fuse both mechanic ?

These Gigantamax forms are nice and all (though requiring a Let's Go game or being time-limited does suck for some people), but I wish they'd have shown more than just a few new forms of existing Pokemon and I wish some were non-Kanto Pokemon. 😕 I'm so sick of all the Kanto pandering.

I'm still waiting to see the starter evolutions and Galarian Rapidash! >_<

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

These Gigantamax forms are nice and all (though requiring a Let's Go game or being time-limited does suck for some people), but I wish they'd have shown more than just a few new forms of existing Pokemon and I wish some were non-Kanto Pokemon. 😕 I'm so sick of all the Kanto pandering.

I'm still waiting to see the starter evolutions and Galarian Rapidash! >_<

Agreed; I am tired of the Kanto pandering. The only thing we've gotten that wasn't Kanto was Galarian Zigzagoon.

I'm surprised that they haven't shown anything about the starter evolutions. Nothing. It's almost like two people at Gamefreak are talking to each other after each announcement:

Exec 1: You didn't tell them about the starter evolutions?

Exec 2: No need to report that until there is something to report.