Pokémon Sword and Shield News and Discussion: Isle of Armor out now

Lightchao42

9 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Agreed; I am tired of the Kanto pandering. The only thing we've gotten that wasn't Kanto was Galarian Zigzagoon.

I'm surprised that they haven't shown anything about the starter evolutions. Nothing. It's almost like two people at Gamefreak are talking to each other after each announcement:

Exec 1: You didn't tell them about the starter evolutions?

Exec 2: No need to report that until there is something to report. 

Yeah, Galarian Ponyta and Rapidash were the only things from Kanto that I'd accept because they're two of the few Pokemon from that generation that I really like.

And yeah. 😕

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, Galarian Ponyta and Rapidash were the only things from Kanto that I'd accept because they're two of the few Pokemon from that generation that I really like.

And yeah. 😕

I accept them because they're unicorns and I've been waiting for there to be a Scotland-themed Pokémon of some kind in this game (Scotland's national animal is the Unicorn. Fun fact; they picked it because Unicorns can beat lions in folklore, and guess what England's national animal is...).

14 hours ago, Anacybele said:

And yeah. 😕

I like ‘em having Galarian forms simply ‘cuz they’re not Kanto Pokémon you see all that much, unlike the big 3.

Gotta say, Galarian ‘goon is starting to seem like a big ol’ red herring.

Edited by Dai

2 hours ago, Dai said:

I like ‘em having Galarian forms simply ‘cuz they’re not Kanto Pokémon you see all that much, unlike the big 3.

Gotta say, Galarian ‘goon is starting to seem like a big ol’ red herring.

What do you mean; red herring? (I know what you mean; the question's rhetorical)

I really hope we get more non-Kanto Galarian forms. It's getting ridiculous at this point. I can understand Kanto-only in Sun and Moon, since regional variants were a brand new thing. But come on! When Diamond/Pearl/Platinum created a whole bunch of new evolutions for older Pokémon, it wasn't just Kanto Pokémon. Why can't the same by true for regional variants?

On 10/19/2019 at 1:41 PM, vanguard333 said:

I'm surprised that they haven't shown anything about the starter evolutions. Nothing. It's almost like two people at Gamefreak are talking to each other after each announcement:

Exec 1: You didn't tell them about the starter evolutions?

Exec 2: No need to report that until there is something to report. 

On the contrary, I feel it's more like they're actually listening to people after last Gen and not just throwing everything at everyone before the game's even out. Gen 7 had a really, REALLY bad case of showing too much too soon, to where we basically knew everything new before the game we even out. With SwSh they're being significantly more laid back with it and only tossing out 1 or 2 things at a time over longer periods of time.

Now, ironically enough, this might've been the one time they SHOULD have shown their hand early, given the outrage over NatDex and general skepticism over the games amongst the community. However I still do personally applaud them for taking their time with the reveals and giving people something to actually look forward to seeing.
That said, they really should've spread the reveals for Galarian and Gigantamax forms around much more to other regions, assuming there is any for them. Which... we can only hope.

But I do totally get people wanting to know everything before the buy, however we do have the internet for that, and we all damn well know the Dex and all info is gonna get leaked weeks in advance, so personally I think it's better they hold back the official reveals and let people use the internet to find out what they do wanna know, so people can know what they want. Not even talking pre-release, even if it doesn't get leaked before launch, there's gonna be info up on Serebii and other website within the damn hour of it releasing, so people who wanna know can almost right away.

Edited by Emerson

3 minutes ago, Emerson said:

On the contrary, I feel it's more like they're actually listening to people after last Gen and not just throwing everything at everyone before the game's even out. Gen 7 had a really, REALLY bad case of showing too much too soon, to where we basically knew everything new before the game we even out. With SwSh they're being significantly more laid back with it and only tossing out 1 or 2 things at a time over longer periods of time.

Now, ironically enough, this might've been the one time they SHOULD have shown their hand early, given the outrage over NatDex and general skepticism over the games amongst the community. However I still do personally applaud them for taking their time with the reveals and giving people something to actually look forward to seeing.
That said, they really should've spread the reveals for Galarian and Gigantamax forms around much more to other regions, assuming there is any for them. Which... we can only hope.

But I do totally get people wanting to know everything before the buy, however we do have the internet for that, and we all damn well know the Dex and all info is gonna get leaked weeks in advance, so personally I think it's better they hold back the official reveals and let people use the internet to find out what they do wanna know, so people can know what they want. Not even talking pre-release, even if it doesn't get leaked before launch, there's gonna be info up on Serebii and other website within the damn hour of it releasing, so people who wanna know can almost right away.

Oh; I agree about how they showed too much last time. I just think they've over-corrected a little bit. 

• 2 weeks later...

So this just happened.

https://nintendosoup.com/rumor-images-of-grookey-sobble-evolutions-have-possibly-surfaced/

Looks pretty real to me. I just wonder why whoever found these didn't also find Scorbunny's evolution. I like how these look though!

Edited by Anacybele

I actually liked Grookey's second evolution but I'm not liking the final one all that much.

Sobble's whole evolution line was thrash imo to begin with but that final design has cemented it into probably my most hated design ever.

Scorbunny was my initial choice because I liked the first stage a lot but that final one looks so uninspired. Like, out of the three I think I like it the best but it still looks not that great. Even if the second evolution is great I'm disappointed that this is what it has as a final evo because those are the ones I care for the most.

Honestly this is the first region where I don't like any of the starters at all (well actually no, I disliked the sinnoh starters too but infernape grew on me)

Edit: no secondary typing is also super boring. Grookey's at least looks like it could be dark or rock. As boring as Fire/Fighting is I would have still preferred that over just Fire. Sobble can't be saved in my eyes even of it had an amazing secondary typing.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

Oh boy those leaks keep coming.

Spoiler

I've not exactly been impressed, but I was one of those who decided they weren't buying months ago. The leak designs haven't changed that, though the gigantamax forms might be something the very fact that most of the old ones are sheer panderbait and the mechanic honestly disappoints besides just makes it feel weak enough. As for the other new ones, some like a certain Galarian and the fire evo feel like they should be somewhere else full stop, some of the others feel meh at best to me..... and Sobble got hard shafted. Like holy crap, Incineroar was the worst to me before but even my anger at that doesn't compare to the actually strangely bad design Sobble's final evo got. Oh, and I was expecting far fewer to be allowed into Galar than there seems to be, but I'm not so sure I should take my word on it, we'll see when datamine comes.

We'll see just how real it is soon, the game comes out in less than 2 weeks now.

Also, Toby Fox confirmed he made a song for this game. It's (partly) online right now.

Ooh, actually, I may have been too hasty on judging the starters final designs. Sobble's final evo actually looks kinda cool in motion and in 2D. Yu Yu Hakusho finger guns is amazing. I guess I'll hold off on judging the others too until I see a better shot of them.

Still though, that just shows how terrible the 3D models are. Gosh I wish GF actually gave a damn about improving them instead blatant lies to excuse the Dexit.

Thoughts on leaks

Spoiler

I honestly don't get the hate for Sobble's final evo. Granted I never got the hatred for Incineroar either after the games released (I love its personality and general idea even if it does mean we don't get a quadruped final fire starter. It's just so fun.)
Sobble's final evo I'll say, not super amazed with it from just its model's pose, but I knew it had a spy theme from a previous leak which was confirmed true, so I was pretty happy with the way they went with it.
I will say, this new art we got displays it WAY better than the model does. 
https://twitter.com/LeaksPokemon/status/1190769688801955840

Grookey's is pretty solid imo, not my thing but it makes sense.
Scorbunny's is.... not a final evolution. I cannot see it being a final form, at all. It looks like a middle stage. And a Digimon. Like the joke is made a lot, but it straight up looks like a Digimon, with the proportions especially. Not a bad design, I don't dislike it, but it's not a final evolution to me.

I do ADORE most of the other Pokemon we've gotten tbh. ngl we just got a new one a bit ago and its ADORABLE
https://twitter.com/LeaksPokemon/status/1190784819669671936
EIaEeybWoAAvVU2?format=jpg&name=360x360

LOOK AT IT AAAAAA ITS ADORABLE
evo aint bad either! and a new water/fighting!

I can deal with the Gigantamax forms. Most of the Gen 1 Pokemon with them are ones that like never get any love and are pretty garbage competitively, Charizard is the big outlier (love wise, gameplay wise its trash now without its Megas) and honestly it's the only Gen 1 Pokemon I have any issue with it getting things (and even then the form is cool so I don't mind too much, better than it's Megas tbh).
Besides, we got Gigantamax Garbodor which is hilarious as an idea AND it's Gen 5 love, and I hope we get a few others. Bronzong would be a good one for a Gen 4 I think, maybe Spiritomb?

I hope we see some other things soon though... Galarian Meowth is... odd, but I kinda prefer it to Alolan Meowth. It's not just a different color, wow! But its evolution is weird (even if its more original that making Persian's head a watermelon). It's also apparently... Normal/Steel? Weeeeeird. Still, I'm willing to give it a chance for now. Kinda wish they'd chosen another cat to do it with though. Like Purrloin, or Glameow (who BETTER be in the region, it's been gone for ages, hasn't been catchable before Post-Game since PEARL, and ONLY been catchable before postgame in Pearl, and catchable at ALL since ORAS, and only in ORAS since Pearl). I do hope they start extending to Gen 2 soon considering how popular it is, and how much the majority of the Pokemon are, uh
fucking garbage gameplay wise, frankly. And barely have ever gotten love. Seriously, for like the most popular generation, it's gotten NOTHING past HGSS.

Anyways tl:dr, I like pretty much everything shown honestly, I think it's all pretty good, and I don't think the Gen 1 pandering is that bad considering it's all stuff that's almost never gotten love in the mainline games and really would love some new content.

Also if Rolycoly has a good evolution it's highkey got a chance at becoming my new favorite Pokemon.

Spoiler

Yo, I get that people don't like some designs and believe me, I'm not a fan of what we've seen of scorbunny's evolution either, but to just say that bad designs look like Digimon is kinda insulting when Digimon has really cool designs.

Plus, Scorbunny is way too basic to be a Digimon. If anything Digimon tend to be overdesigned

7 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:
  Hide contents

Yo, I get that people don't like some designs and believe me, I'm not a fan of what we've seen of scorbunny's evolution either, but to just say that bad designs look like Digimon is kinda insulting when Digimon has really cool designs.

Plus, Scorbunny is way too basic to be a Digimon. If anything Digimon tend to be overdesigned

Spoiler

Oh no, I don't think Cinderace looks bad at all! It just reminds me of a Digimon a bit, and also doesn't really look like a final evolution. Doesn't really 100% look like a Digimon either. it's really just the more correct human proportions, without also having proper human musculature (ala Machamp). Just kinda gave Renamon vibes initially. Someone mentioned Flamedramon when I talked about it elsewhere and I can't disagree.

3 minutes ago, Emerson said:

Hide contents

Oh no, I don't think Cinderace looks bad at all! It just reminds me of a Digimon a bit, and also doesn't really look like a final evolution. Doesn't really 100% look like a Digimon either. it's really just the more correct human proportions, without also having proper human musculature (ala Machamp). Just kinda gave Renamon vibes initially. Someone mentioned Flamedramon when I talked about it elsewhere and I can't disagree.

Spoiler

Oh yeah I guess I can understand that argument and see Cinderace's similarity to those. And I agree, the final evo doesn't look very final at all. Sorry for assuming that you disliked it too. I'm just used to people bringing up arguements like that as a way of unnecessarily bashing the series instead of like actually comparing between the two.

9 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:
  Hide contents

Oh yeah I guess I can understand that argument and see Cinderace's similarity to those. And I agree, the final evo doesn't look very final at all. Sorry for assuming that you disliked it too. I'm just used to people bringing up arguements like that as a way of unnecessarily bashing the series instead of like actually comparing between the two.

Don't worry, I totally get it. I guess I'm just more positive on the whole thing than most, hah.

Edited by Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the game's out, I decided to look at the new Pokémon and the Galarian forms/evolutions. A lot of them look interesting, and I like the one that's basically a piece of Stonehenge. But Rolycoly didn't evolve into a steam engine, and there's no Bagpipe Pokémon, so I'm a little sad. 😢

11 minutes ago, Dai said:

It just is the eShop version? Not retail? Regardless, this game just can’t catch a damn break, huh?

Only eshop cases have been reported as far as anybody knows. Another piece of advice floating around is to turn off autosave in the Options menu

24 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Only eshop cases have been reported as far as anybody knows. Another piece of advice floating around is to turn off autosave in the Options menu

This is GameFrEAk’s revenge for daring to speak out against them, instead of consuming product and getting excited for next product.

1 hour ago, Dai said:

It just is the eShop version? Not retail? Regardless, this game just can’t catch a damn break, huh?

Apparently some users reported this happening to some retail versions as well. Be careful!

Edited by Gordin

26 minutes ago, Gordin said:

Apparently some users reported this happening to some retail versions as well. Be careful!

Didn’t think anything Could fuck Up as hard as Fallout 76, but GameFrEAk sure is trying.