Pokémon Sword and Shield News and Discussion: Isle of Armor out now

Lightchao42

15 hours ago, Emerson said:

On an unrelated note...

Congratulations on the shiny! curious, is there a definitive place where the shiny odds are, everywhere you look people have different numbers!

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Emerson said:

Eevee is caught on Route 4 (the small area right before the first Gym). It's a fairly low chance but since it's an overworld spawn it doesn't take too long to reset the area and try again.

As for Synchronizers, we have...
Natu, Ralts, Munna, Elgyem and Indeedee. Also Mew, Espeon and Umbreon but they aren't noteworthy for Synchronize users.

On an unrelated note...

Right then.

Neat.

Also, I guess another tricky evolution that was not mentioned was Galarian Farfetch'd needing to get 3 critical hits in one battle. Which is easier to try to have done in a trainer battle, for obvious reasons.

45 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also, I guess another tricky evolution that was not mentioned was Galarian Farfetch'd needing to get 3 critical hits in one battle. Which is easier to try to have done in a trainer battle, for obvious reasons

Fighting level 60 Metapods is probably easier, because all they do is use Harden.

7 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Congratulations on the shiny! curious, is there a definitive place where the shiny odds are, everywhere you look people have different numbers!

It's a bit complicated due to Shiny Charm, but I can tell you it's
1/4096 without any method and without Shiny Charm
1/1365 without any method and with Shiny Charm

1/683 using Masuda Method without Shiny Charm
1/512 using Masuda Method with Shiny Charm

Then, concerning the new encounter system, it's also a little complicated...
Basically for every Pokemon of the species you fight and defeat or capture, including Trainer battles, a number in the Pokedex goes up. This number is how you keep track of the Encounter number.

Encounter No.       W/O Charm         W/ Charm
50                            1/2048                 1/1024
100                          1/1365.333         1 in 819.2
200                          1/1024                 1/682.6667
300                          1/819.2                1/585.1429
500                          1/682.6667         1/512

All of the encounter rate numbers are from Serebii. Bulbapedia is what I used for the top 2 (although for the most part I knew them by heart), although that's because Masuda and base rate haven't changed. The Encounter number rates can be found here: https://serebii.net/swordshield/shinypokemon.shtml

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also, I guess another tricky evolution that was not mentioned was Galarian Farfetch'd needing to get 3 critical hits in one battle. Which is easier to try to have done in a trainer battle, for obvious reasons.

During the main story that's definitely the easiest, however once you get into post game it gets a bit rough to do. The Metapod method mentioned above is definitely the most effective for lower levels, however once you reach the 50-60 range, I'd recommend teaching the Farfetch'd Leaf Blade from level 55 and instead using either static encounter Vespiquens, or Combee if you're basically JUST hitting around 55-60. Metapod, since it doesn't quad resist, would struggle to stay alive for 3 criticals once you're around it's level.

6 minutes ago, Emerson said:

It's a bit complicated due to Shiny Charm, but I can tell you it's
1/4096 without any method and without Shiny Charm
1/1365 without any method and with Shiny Charm

1/683 using Masuda Method without Shiny Charm
1/512 using Masuda Method with Shiny Charm

Then, concerning the new encounter system, it's also a little complicated...
Basically for every Pokemon of the species you fight and defeat or capture, including Trainer battles, a number in the Pokedex goes up. This number is how you keep track of the Encounter number.

Encounter No.       W/O Charm         W/ Charm
50                            1/2048                 1/1024
100                          1/1365.333         1 in 819.2
200                          1/1024                 1/682.6667
300                          1/819.2                1/585.1429
500                          1/682.6667         1/512

All of the encounter rate numbers are from Serebii. Bulbapedia is what I used for the top 2 (although for the most part I knew them by heart), although that's because Masuda and base rate haven't changed. The Encounter number rates can be found here: https://serebii.net/swordshield/shinypokemon.shtml

Okay so I've defeated 550 Rookidee, so I have 1/512? I wasn't sure since I seen alot of different numbers all over the place. If so, that's not too bad! Thank you for the information, though! Also, Which way is more reliable? 

Edit, I see that's with shiny charm, so its 1/682.

Edited by lightcosmo

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Okay so I've defeated 550 Rookidee, so I have 1/512? I wasn't sure since I seen alot of different numbers all over the place. If so, that's not too bad! Thank you for the information, though! Also, Which way is more reliable? 

Honestly? Whatever you feel comfortable doing. There's no best method in this game, both have a max of 1/512, one just hits that cap sooner (or well, immediately), while the other is much easier to perform generally and isn't going to take up a ton of box space by the end.

1 minute ago, Emerson said:

Honestly? Whatever you feel comfortable doing. There's no best method in this game, both have a max of 1/512, one just hits that cap sooner (or well, immediately), while the other is much easier to perform generally and isn't going to take up a ton of box space by the end.

Oh, okay then. I didn't know it was so simple. Thank you, again!

Oh, okay then. I didn't know it was so simple. Thank you, again!

Oh, I guess I should mention, while most Pokemon can be encountered method'd (at least 1 per evolutionary line I think) some are much harder to perform it with (Low percent encounters, Pokemon what very specific spawn conditions, etc), which is definitely a benefit Masuda method has over it.

1 minute ago, Emerson said:

Oh, I guess I should mention, while most Pokemon can be encountered method'd (at least 1 per evolutionary line I think) some are much harder to perform it with (Low percent encounters, Pokemon what very specific spawn conditions, etc), which is definitely a benefit Masuda method has over it.

Oh, alright. 1/682 is better than the 1/8096 I'm used to. I got two with those odds so I dont think I'll have many issues. Is there an explained reason why they raised the odds?

Oh, alright. 1/682 is better than the 1/8096 I'm used to. I got two with those odds so I dont think I'll have many issues. Is there an explained reason why they raised the odds?

Well, Masuda method has been a thing since Generation... 4? I think? Then X and Y doubled the shiny rate. I don't think any official reason was given but considering the rates are still very low, I think it's overall a fine change to make them SLIGHTLY more common.
We've been getting other methods like the encounter method that tie Masuda since XY, so this isn't really anything new, although the constant rate of encountering is definitely different as most previous methods usually killed their rate after finding a shiny.

Shout out to Gen 4 (and X and Y) for having the lowest shiny odds of 1/200 at a chain of 40 with the Poke Radar, multiplied by the amount of grass patches, which can take it down to like, 1/40 or lower effectively, if I'm not mistaken.

Just now, Emerson said:

Well, Masuda method has been a thing since Generation... 4? I think? Then X and Y doubled the shiny rate. I don't think any official reason was given but considering the rates are still very low, I think it's overall a fine change to make them SLIGHTLY more common.
We've been getting other methods like the encounter method that tie Masuda since XY, so this isn't really anything new, although the constant rate of encountering is definitely different as most previous methods usually killed their rate after finding a shiny.

Shout out to Gen 4 (and X and Y) for having the lowest shiny odds of 1/200 at a chain of 40 with the Poke Radar, multiplied by the amount of grass patches, which can take it down to like, 1/40 or lower effectively, if I'm not mistaken.

I dont know what that method is. I understand raising the odds, but it truly was special getting two in one Silver playthrough. I'm happy they are more accessible for everybody though.

I dont know what that method is. I understand raising the odds, but it truly was special getting two in one Silver playthrough. I'm happy they are more accessible for everybody though.

Ah, my bad, Masuda method is where you breed 2 Pokemon of different regions of origin (as in like, real world region. like from Japan. It's based on their game's language setting). And... that's it. Thanks to Wonder Trade, this got pretty easy to do. Doesn't matter what regions as long as they're not the same.

10 minutes ago, Emerson said:

Ah, my bad, Masuda method is where you breed 2 Pokemon of different regions of origin (as in like, real world region. like from Japan. It's based on their game's language setting). And... that's it. Thanks to Wonder Trade, this got pretty easy to do. Doesn't matter what regions as long as they're not the same.

Ah, alrighty, I guess I'm sticking with wild encounters then. Thanks again.

On 12/10/2019 at 1:12 PM, lightcosmo said:

Edit, I see that's with shiny charm, so its 1/682.

It's more complicated than that.

According to Serebii, you only have a chance of triggering the increased shiny rate for random encounters.

No. of Pokémon Battled Chance of Shiny Rate No Shiny Charm Rate Shiny Charm Rate
50 1.5% 1 in 2048 1 in 1024
100 2% 1 in 1365.333 1 in 819.2
200 2.5% 1 in 1024 1 in 682.6667
300 3% 1 in 819.2 1 in 585.1429
500 3% 1 in 682.6667 1 in 512

So without the Shiny Charm, you have a 0.03 × 1/683 + 0.97 × 1/4096 chance of encountering a shiny Rookidee; about 0.028 %, which is barely different from base rates (0.024 %). If you want efficient shiny hunting, Masuda's the way to go. Doubly so if you want your shiny in a specific non-Master ball.

Edited by Seafarer

2 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

It's more complicated than that.

According to Serebii, you only have a chance of triggering the increased shiny rate for random encounters.

No. of Pokémon Battled Chance of Shiny Rate No Shiny Charm Rate Shiny Charm Rate
50 1.5% 1 in 2048 1 in 1024
100 2% 1 in 1365.333 1 in 819.2
200 2.5% 1 in 1024 1 in 682.6667
300 3% 1 in 819.2 1 in 585.1429
500 3% 1 in 682.6667 1 in 512

So without the Shiny Charm, you have a 0.03 × 1/683 + 0.97 × 1/4096 chance of encountering a shiny Rookidee; about 0.028 %, which is barely different from base rates (0.024 %). If you want efficient shiny hunting, Masuda's the way to go. Doubly so if you want your shiny in a specific non-Master ball.

Oh my gosh, that is more complicated! More efficent?

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Oh my gosh, that is more complicated! More efficent?

Breeding with a foreign Ditto is always the best way to get a shiny Pokémon, if possible. Highest odds of success; no risk of failure to capture; and you can easily combine it with chain breeding for IVs (I did this with Torchic, and now have shiny Speed Boost Torchic, Combusken, and Blaziken sitting in my Ultra Moon box).

For unbreedable Pokémon (including Ditto itself), you have to put up with the much lower encounter rates. Various methods have made this slightly more bearable (especially the Shiny Charm and the global doubling of rates in XY), but it's still far more frustrating than breeding.

As a side note, having a foreign Ditto that you transfer forward each generation means that you'll have a much higher chance of hatching random shinies even without hunting for them. It's nice.

1 hour ago, Seafarer said:

Breeding with a foreign Ditto is always the best way to get a shiny Pokémon, if possible. Highest odds of success; no risk of failure to capture; and you can easily combine it with chain breeding for IVs (I did this with Torchic, and now have shiny Speed Boost Torchic, Combusken, and Blaziken sitting in my Ultra Moon box).

For unbreedable Pokémon (including Ditto itself), you have to put up with the much lower encounter rates. Various methods have made this slightly more bearable (especially the Shiny Charm and the global doubling of rates in XY), but it's still far more frustrating than breeding.

As a side note, having a foreign Ditto that you transfer forward each generation means that you'll have a much higher chance of hatching random shinies even without hunting for them. It's nice.

If only my internet wasn't so terrible I could maybe trade online! So, it's the natural way for me. That sounds nice having multiple ways to do it, though.

Seems like GameFreak outdid themselves with regard to "how broken can we make our legendaries" with Zacian. Kyurem-Black level attack that gets boosted when switching in, and it's got Quick Man level speed. On top of that, it has great bulk and the best typing defense wise. Let this one sink in: it saw more use than Mega Rayquaza. That should speak for itself.

56 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Zacian is only that broken because there is no national dex. Ecery non-gen 8 legendary can theorically Dynamax, Zacian can not. It would be crippling if Natdex Uber/AG ever became a thing.

Except it also has a move that does double damage to Dynamax/Gigantamax'd Pokemon. So I'm not sure that helps much...

Speaking of Dynamax can we just talk about how stupidly broken it is in singles? I’ve already mentioned Gyarados but the amount of disgusting shit you can do with it is just not okay.

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Speaking of Dynamax can we just talk about how stupidly broken it is in singles? I’ve already mentioned Gyarados but the amount of disgusting shit you can do with it is just not okay.

It’s being suspect tested in Smogon.

1 minute ago, Flere210 said:

It's 90% going to be banned, wich imo is kinda like ban attacking but those kind of things are the reason i never went into places like Smogon. 

Dude do you know how disgusting dynamax Gyarados can be?! Max Aerial to boost your speed as well as deliver massive damage to hopefully get a moxie boost. One turn and you’ve already taken out an opponent’s pokemon and have a dragon dance. Max water to get yet another moxie boost and set up the rain. Like at that point what do you even do?