Best Lord's Mother

Jotari

Best Lord's Mother  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Best Lord's Mother

• Liza
    • Mycen (taking the kid and moving to another country, yeah, Mycen is totally Alm's mother)
    • Liprica (Celica's mother gets a name! And little else really)
    • Rahna (Sigurd's adopted mother. Yes, Lewyn is Sigurd's step brother)
    • Deirdre
    • Ethlyn
    • Ninian (yeah, she's Roy's mother. Fight me if you disagree)
    • Elanora
    • Uh...if Ephraim and Eirika have a mother, someone inform me
    • Elena
    • Emmeryn (she raised Chrom, right? Or would Fredrick be more appropriate?)
    • Mikoto (only took them 25 years to make a mother important to the plot and they still under utilize her)

A long, long time ago I made two threads asking the community who the best father and sister of our lords was. Now I'm finally going to follow that up with the best lord's mother. Because nobody asked for it yet you deserve it anyway.

Edited by Jotari

Damn, that is an important topic. About time we see it through.

Totally Deirdre, I also like Mikoto. But Deirdre is still the best. And Ethlyn is third on my List.
This makes me realize that being a lords mother is almost a Deathflag in Fire emblem.

Ethlyn really looses a lot of points for that whole "taking a newborn child to the battlefield" thing. But honestly, she is the only one to leave a bit of a legacy of her own, as Leaf uses her sword. Considering how little serious competition there is, I'd say that's enough.

If she was on the list, I'd probably vote for Holmes' mother. Well, assuming she is who I think it is. Family ties in Tear Ring Saga are really hard to keep track of.

Edited by BrightBow

• Liza is best, she didn't die presumably in childbirth, she lived until a Mage Dragon sneezed on her.
  • Deidre looks very Classically idealized, which is in a way misogynist, but it isn't always bad. She looks like the purest virgin, the most devoted wife, the most caring of mothers. A goddess.
  • *Prepares my airship armada*- I WILL FIGHT YOU ON ROY! His second parent is Marcus- he really tried to find a wife for Eliwood.
  • Eleanora lives, has a snippet of personality, looks fairly nice, and is apparently a Bishop with Anima Magic.
  • Ephraim and Eirika have no known mother I believe, they never speak of her. Their parents are probably just themselves due to timespace shenanigans.
  • Elena has official artwork, which is more than some others here have.
  • Emmeryn, I don't exactly love her. But she doesn't totally fall as a motherly figure to her little siblings.
  • You forgot Lucina's mother- Xane disguised as a Maiden. He does this every so often to keep the Brand alive in the Exalted line. Dragon blood potency declines over time otherwise.

Yeah... this is a weak lot. Mothers aren't exactly well done in FE.

Although isn't Eyvel also something of a mother figure to Leif? And Titania her half-successor certainly is to Ike and Mist.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Eleanora, easily. She already scores high by not being dead. She's not trying to be cool by appearing as a late game sage or something (though according to the wiki, she has unused stats as a bishop, I don't count it), and her personal retainer is freaking Isadora who maxes out on the FE7 stylish units to use tier list.

1 hour ago, Stroud said:

Damn, that is an important topic. About time we see it through.

Totally Deirdre, I also like Mikoto. But Deirdre is still the best. And Ethlyn is third on my List.
This makes me realize that being a lords mother is almost a Deathflag in Fire emblem.

No, being a father is a major deathflag. Being a mother is a "we didn't bother to really create the character in the first place" flag.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:
  • Liza is best, she didn't die presumably in childbirth, she lived until a Mage Dragon sneezed on her.
  • Deidre looks very Classically idealized, which is in a way misogynist, but it isn't always bad. She looks like the purest virgin, the most devoted wife, the most caring of mothers. A goddess.
  • *Prepares my airship armada*- I WILL FIGHT YOU ON ROY! His second parent is Marcus- he really tried to find a wife for Eliwood.
  • Eleanora lives, has a snippet of personality, looks fairly nice, and is apparently a Bishop with Anima Magic.
  • Ephraim and Eirika have no known mother I believe, they never speak of her. Their parents are probably just themselves due to timespace shenanigans.
  • Elena has official artwork, which is more than some others here have.
  • Emmeryn, I don't exactly love her. But she doesn't totally fall as a motherly figure to her little siblings.
  • You forgot Lucina's mother- Xane disguised as a Maiden. He does this every so often to keep the Brand alive in the Exalted line. Dragon blood potency declines over time otherwise.

Yeah... this is a weak lot. Mothers aren't exactly well done in FE.

Although isn't Eyvel also something of a mother figure to Leif? And Titania her half-successor certainly is to Ike and Mist.

Did you intentionally misspell fail as fall...because, you know, Emmeryn.

Eyvel is too good a mother to be on this list.

Edited by Jotari

What about 80s hair Edain? While we never got to see it, she did take care of some of the gen 2 kids, which includes Seliph. Would she count as a mother figure to Seliph then?

Liza exists, I guess.

Anyways I'd say Deirdre, her overall nature makes me think she'd be a good mother, and she's incredibly devoted to her husband.

Ethlyn would be a good mom....if she didn't had the random idea of bringing her daughter to a literal battlefield.

Rahna gives Forseti, 10/10 best mom helps you break the game. I like her design too.

A bit hazy with my memories of Ninian honestly speaking, I'll look up her supports later or something.

I know not of any of the other moms, since I haven't played those games.

Ninian is not Roy's canon mother. If so Fiora or Lyn should be in the list as well. 

Eleanor is the best of the list I guess... Deirdre was a good mother to Julius and Julia though, I just dislike her as a character....

Someone mentioned Edain... Agree she is the best mother of the franchise. No one toped her yet. She was in charge of an entire orphanage, including her own children and savior of the world

Edited by Mylady

Ya'll are sleeping on Mycen. He's the best mom in the series, and I bet he drives a minivan, which is an instant win in my book since the minivan confirms that he's a sports mom. It makes sense, too. Alm and co. could all fit in there.

Deirdre is okay too, I guess.

Edited by indigocean

Eleanora since she shows some actually good worry for her son and hey we get too see her again! I would say maybe Deirdre but she really doesnt do anything.

Y'all sleep on Mikoto so hard. No matter how you look at her or how uninvested you are to what/who she is... she still died protecting her child from certain death by taking it herself. What other [Lord's] mom has done that?

Granted, the only strike against her is that she didn't raise her kid, which in that vein puts Liza and Elenora up there for at least being there for the majority of their son's life.

2 hours ago, Motendra said:

Y'all sleep on Mikoto so hard. No matter how you look at her or how uninvested you are to what/who she is... she still died protecting her child from certain death by taking it herself. What other [Lord's] mom has done that?

Granted, the only strike against her is that she didn't raise her kid, which in that vein puts Liza and Elenora up there for at least being there for the majority of their son's life.

She also later tried to murder her kid because Revelation's writing is really bad and they thought it'd be dramatic or something.

8 hours ago, Motendra said:

She did but Mikoto is so saintly she'd probably do the same for just anyone. The time she and Corrin have together is too limited for me to really consider her a parental figure. I'm actually much more interested in her parental behavior towards Sakura and Takumi. Sakura dressing like her upon promotion suggest she looked up to Mikoto a lot and Takumi seems to be closest to Mikoto, which makes sense considering he's not much younger than her missing son. 

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

She also later tried to murder her kid because Revelation's writing is really bad and they thought it'd be dramatic or something.

There are no lies here, but I was under the assumption that that's precisely why we dun talk about Revelations. When in doubt, Anankos taught her 

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

She did but Mikoto is so saintly she'd probably do the same for just anyone. The time she and Corrin have together is too limited for me to really consider her a parental figure. I'm actually much more interested in her parental behavior towards Sakura and Takumi. Sakura dressing like her upon promotion suggest she looked up to Mikoto a lot and Takumi seems to be closest to Mikoto, which makes sense considering he's not much younger than her missing son. 

I don't see how her being saintly takes away from the action, itself. Being the queen of a nation means she cant just throw it all away for just anyone as you imply. Reminder that she's the one thing keeping Nohrian invaders out. But she's still human and as a human, you gotta draw the line somewhere, which for her was her only child.

Thats all nice and dandy an opinion, but still besides the point. And I'll say again: what you consider her to be and not be doesn't change what she is: Corrin's actual mother. As their mother, she fulfilled a parent's duty to protect their child from harm. It doesn't require much thinking 

I picked Elena, while purposefully discounting options who were actual playable characters themselves. Even if she's dead to begin with, of all the NPC mothers she is the only one who is actually plot-relevant and is part of the reason why Ike is even the lord of his game.

In a series where parents die so very often, and most of them never impact the plot or are quickly forgotten or become irrelevant after they die, the fact that Elena's (and Greil)'s actions and their legacy affect the direction of the game and their children in both PoR and RD is a pretty good use of dead characters.

Elena, of course. I have Tellius bias, and she was really brave, loving, and devoted to sacrifice herself to save Greil from his berserkness the way she did. She's also pretty. Ike has a great mom, and I'm so glad he looks like her! Other lords take more from their dads. Ike didn't, he looks just like his mama instead.

Edited by Anacybele