Any hopes?

Corrobin

I wouldn't mind if we got a love triangle tbh : P But if somehow we got lucky enough and Claude/Dimitri  became a thing, I would die happy, although I'm like 99% sure it's not happening V_V

14 minutes ago, Enduin said:

I need some real heavy drama and tragedy in my FE life.

This is me in every game I ever play. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Also why is everyone so excited over Dimitrii X Claude, did I miss any hint towards them being gay? It wouldn't be bad if they did have an S-rank support just as long as it doesn't feel rushed or is shameless pandering to the Alt-left.

No. This forum is called 'Any hopes?' and my hope is that Claude and Dimitri can marry each other. There has been no hint of anything regarding that, it is simply my wish.

30 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

I wouldn't mind if we got a love triangle tbh : P But if somehow we got lucky enough and Claude/Dimitri  became a thing, I would die happy, although I'm like 99% sure it's not happening V_V

I'm 99% sure it's not happening either either :c but well, one can only dream...

I also wouldn't mind a love triangle, if done well. @Enduin's idea sounds dramatic enough hahaha :lol:

9 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

No. This forum is called 'Any hopes?' and my hope is that Claude and Dimitri can marry each other. There has been no hint of anything regarding that, it is simply my wish.

K

1 hour ago, Rose482 said:

Well, it would be just as stupid if everyone was straight  : ) 

It really wouldn't, it actually would be a lot less stupid.

Anyway

• We get to overthrow the Church
  • No gimmicky mechanics
  • No Tsunderes

9 hours ago, Soroen said:

Less characters available to play, with the potential amount of customization possible in the game it would be a waste to have much characters. The purpose of adding characters is to replace unit that died earlier or add interesting characters in the group, but the latest games SPECIALLY Fates does neither. More neutral unit along with it.

Indeed. I definitely prefer quality over quantity. Having less characters in numbers gives me time to actually give a crap about them. I don't want to have an army of guys so large, they'd start to seem as generic as the grunts we're fighting. This could probably also add more time for fleshing out their positives and flaws, customization, and general identity. 

Aside from that, I hope the support system is a bit more complex. Like what if achieving a rank of support with some characters locks potential support with others? What if there's more specific tasks than just "fight next to this person for a set number of battles"? And what if characters actually obtain items from reaching a certain rank of support with each other? Things like that will add so much replayability to the game to really try out multiple support bonuses and combinations.

• 2 weeks later...

I have plenty of hopes. Too much to really write them all. :D

I suppose one simple thing I hope for is that the context with Byleth justifies him being a teacher. I'm hoping that him having a mercenary for a dad means he's a little less naive and has more worldly knowledge compared to a typical FE protagonist.

The thing that annoyed me about Robin and Corrin is the lack of context. Robin is somehow a master tactician despite a mostly wiped memory, and Corrin is granted leadership fairly quickly despite mostly living in near-isolation from the world.

I really hope to see more varied character recruitment methods return. I like the challenge of recruiting enemies or NPC's wandering the map. I think it would also be neat to fulfill side-quests and  get a character as a reward. Like being able to recruit other students at the monastery by completing secret missions.

Also, I would like to see hidden treasure spots or shops return when your character ends their turn on the space.

14 hours ago, grin_fish said:

I really hope to see more varied character recruitment methods return. I like the challenge of recruiting enemies or NPC's wandering the map. I think it would also be neat to fulfill side-quests and  get a character as a reward. Like being able to recruit other students at the monastery by completing secret missions.

Also, I would like to see hidden treasure spots or shops return when your character ends their turn on the space.

That would be neat.

Hidden treasure spots and shops would definitely keep hawk eyed players on their toes.

Also, love the use of Leonie as your avatar!

Since the setting seems so different, I hope the kinds of villains we see will be different as well, which is my major hope right now. By different I mean at least somewhat grounded in reality or having a reasonable and justifiable line of thought and motives. Show that the Chuch isn't all bad and rotten to the core, that there actually are elements of it that represent something good (and do this not just with the one young/hot nun, but on a bigger scale). If the nation leaders have to go up against other countries/their own children, at least show them having a reason to do so and that they at least love their kids so that we don't end up with another Garon situation. If the big evil goddess/dragon shows up, at least properly flesh them out and give them some interesting relationships, like with Sothis and Seiros.

Naturally, I have many hopes, but this is more concrete and specific than "I hope the game will be good" or "hopefully the writing will be interesting".

Edited by Thane

On 28/2/2019 at 8:38 PM, Corrobin said:

What do you hope to see in the game?

no kids

marriage not to be an in-game mechanic, but i'd love to see character endings like the ones gba games amd others have (basically classic supports)

good writing and storytelling

no world map

italian voice acting (radiant dawn had it, and i still have to know who the hell decided that was a good idea, and shake hands with him/her, because he/she was damn right)

pretty much this

Edited by Yexin

Unique animations for weapons depending on how heavy they are. 

That and oversized weapons. I really just love gigantic greatsword in fantasy games ?

@Yexin I hope for differant accents for each faction. A little something-something to differentiate them more. 

Edited by Martin

Oddly, one of my main hopes is we get male pegasus riders again. I never liked that about previous games, and it was a change I really liked in Fates.

Other than that: 

Recruitment requirements that involve characters other than the main lord / avatar (it was something that always stood out about FE to me but it has sadly been lost). 

The return of fun maps like Fates had - Shigure's recruitment map really stands out to me. 

Interesting villains. I don't care who they are, although I would prefer the three lords we've met aren't the villains because I don't want to be forced into a choice that way.

The ability to recruit everyone in one playthrough. Not sure how contentious this is but I really hate having to pick for stupid reasons. They even kept the stupid Sonia vs Deen choice in Echoes, which was just annoying. 

Interesting and varied supports. I want a good amount of them. It still sucks that they were so limited for certain characters in previous games, but I don't want them to be everyone like in Fates and Awakening. There has to be a good balance. Geoffrey only getting two still rankles me to this day (never mind what they did for RD). 

I dunno if I mentioned some of these already but:

Unisex classes (no more female only Peg Knights, make cleric/priest/whatever unisex)

World map (revisiting places is nice)

Good supports with good balance (would be nice if everyone in the cast could talk to everyone, even if they only have certain marriage options)

Villains with interesting motives (please please flesh out the antagonists so they feel like real people and not cliche, overused tropes)

No kids (S-supports are fine, but please no more kid units!!!!!)

57 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

The ability to recruit everyone in one playthrough. Not sure how contentious this is but I really hate having to pick for stupid reasons. They even kept the stupid Sonia vs Deen choice in Echoes, which was just annoying. 

This. I don't like being limited to certain characters by choosing one faction over another.

- My biggest hope is a very flexible story line, with a ton of endings and wildly different recruitables based on the decisions we, the player, makes.  But it would take a hell of a writer to pull that off, convincingly.  Think Sacred Stones amped to 11.

- I wouldn't mind a second generation. . .but instead of children, have the heads of the houses become teachers, and have their training influence said second generation.  And like FE4, have the vast majority of the first generation butt out.

- Keep romance the hell out of it, because IMO it's easier to write a good story than a good romance.  FE has yet to do the former to my liking.

- Tropes should be subtle, at best.  People are unique in their own ways, and having a character's personality follow a formula feels really unnatural.

- For the love of everything, more body/skin/face/age types!  And not as a joke, either!  FE6 had the right idea.

- I'm going to be furious if it's yet another "the church lied and is actually evil" story.  The only one I remotely liked was Tales of Beresria (or however it's spelled), because. . .

Spoiler

it gave context to Zestiria.  And even then, the church wasn't wholly unlikable, and their motivations weren't because "LOL EVIL".  AND THEN the game showed us why letting the church have their way was a Bad Thing (there's a really neat optional convo in the inn that solidifies this. . .props to the localizers for that).  If Three Houses treats religion as well as that, I'll be perfectly happy with an evil church.

In other words, I don't want a repeat of Final Fantasy Tactics.  Radiant Dawn, for all I rag on it, did a better job than that.  Still not great, but at least the various divine beings had an understandable motive, even if we didn't get a good view of the church itself.

- I'll let things like gameplay mechanics sort themselves out.  If there's one thing FE consistently does well, IMO, it's making a game that's fun to play.

Going to skip the generic "not the stuff Fates did" hopes we've heard them a million times  and say that a BIG hope of mine is that they do a better job of giving the antagonists decent motivations. There are a handful of things that tick me off in story writing, and poorly written villains is a big NO for me. I don't just want the baddies to be bad, I want them to be understandable in their actions so they can be learned from rather than simply dismissed, if the way I'm wording that makes any sense. I'm not expecting a literary masterpiece, I'm just hoping we get more than "BWAHAHAH I'M EVIL JUST BECAUSE, NOW WATCH ME KILL INNOCENTS SO YOU HATE ME WHAHAHAH".

Yawn. Grown men and women are making this, not kids. So let's do more than the bare minimum this time. (I was going to make an evil church comment too but eclispe basically already said what I was going to so there's no need).

As for my hopes with the gameplay, I'm hoping we get the return of diverse win conditions. I'm not completely opposed to "route the enemy" but Fates showed us more than that and that game was FUN when it wasn't being infuriating,. If we see a return of bonus experience (which I doubt we're getting but a boy can dream) don't hide it like an easter egg, let the player see what they need to do in order to get more out of their end chapter rewards.

When we wind up """building relationships""" I hope they axe the romance. It's underwhelming and completely pointless. If they keep it, maybe give S support couples special bonuses besides slight increases in attack and accuracy like say "they share personal skills/weapon arts" or "they have a chance of surviving a lethal blow when near each other". Give us more incentive to pair units together besides "and then they kissed and gave me a better unit". 

About Byleth, please let their be more/better customization options. I'm sick and tired of playing as "avatar character who represents you but you can't tell them what to do or what to say or even look like them if you aren't light skinned". Something tells me we wont get this given that we have animated cutscenes with Byleth in them showing their face, but again a boy can dream can't he?

--I think it's unlikely to happen, but I think it would be cool if the condition for unlocking the "second generation characters" was still supports, but not a marriage + kids route.  Say we could gain access to Dimitri's sister if he gets an A support with Mercedes, Annette, or Ash, because those supports involve him realizing that a character flaw of his drove him and his sister apart.  Or Raphael's been looking for his retainer for years and is able to find her due to information uncovered in his supports with Leonie and/or Claude.  

--A small cast, probably with fewer supports.  Personally, I try to keep the number of characters I use pretty small and I try to tear through as many of their supports as I can in a single playthrough.  I feel wasteful leaving so many units on the bench other than their recruitment chapters.  Plus it would allow the team to focus more on things I prioritize, like story, gameplay, and supports.

--I want the choice of house to matter beyond just the units you start with.  Since it's not being marketed as three games at this point, I think the difference will be less in scope than Fates' choice was, but I'm optimistic the choice will matter somewhat.  I bet we get some overlapping maps, and that makes sense, but I'd like to see different things each time I play through the game.

Guest This Guy

Xandest might have figured out the magic reasoning behind making a 2nd generation unit make sense.

Also More customization for the Avatar.
While I'm pale myself (Mostly due to staying inside most of the time, wasn't always this pale.), I don't make characters that look like me (My Character in Saints Row 4 was a Hispanic Englishman, I am neither of those. I did that because I could.)

4 hours ago, Xandest said:

-A small cast, probably with fewer supports.  Personally, I try to keep the number of characters I use pretty small and I try to tear through as many of their supports as I can in a single playthrough.  I feel wasteful leaving so many units on the bench other than their recruitment chapters.  Plus it would allow the team to focus more on things I prioritize, like story, gameplay, and supports.

Indeed. In many games, I try to use all of my characters equally because I just despise benching units for some reason. And then usually, my team in average is a bit underleveled and playing through the game generally becomes more frustrating. 

If there are going to be a crap ton of characters, there should be a way that benched units could still get exp or contribute to the army strength in some way. That or there should be a boost that comes from using all of the characters frequently (and not a penalty for using the same characters through out the battles like they did in Thracia 766). 

Although, a smaller cast definitely sounds like a better and more simple option. It allows the charcaters to have their unique identity game play wise. I won't need to say, "why use him if this other dude can do what the first one does better?"

Also, if we can change the avatar's skin tone, I will cry tears of joy. 

I hope that the cultures of the 3 countries are so distinct enough that it reflects the attittudes of the students. For example, Dimitri and his people may have a different perspective in life and share different values than with Edelgard and Claude and their classmates.

The game is called Three Houses, so I hope we get to learn about the 3 countries as well. FE9 and FE10 did a great job with showing us the differences between the kingdoms and how their cultures influenced the personalities of the characters (like how the herons behave as supposed to the hawks and so on.

Edited by berriicoco

1 hour ago, berriicoco said:

I hope that the cultures of the 3 countries are so distinct enough that it reflects the attittudes of the students. For example, Dimitri and his people may have a different perspective in life and share different values than with Edelgard and Claude and their classmates.

The game is called Three Houses, so I hope we get to learn about the 3 countries as well. FE9 and FE10 did a great job with showing us the differences between the kingdoms and how their cultures influenced the personalities of the characters (like how the herons behave as supposed to the hawks and so on.

Great point, I approve of this. If all countries are just "vaguely medieval fantasy anime Europe-ish" then there's little point of having distinct countries at all. 

On 17/3/2019 at 2:15 PM, Yexin said:

italian voice acting (radiant dawn had it, and i still have to know who the hell decided that was a good idea, and shake hands with him/her, because he/she was damn right)

I doubt it, this game seems to be fully voice acted, I cannot imagine how many VAs would be necessary for such a task.

I guess we'll have to settle with english VAs. I just hope the direction is good.

And besides, being used to hearing the characters talk in italian, and then have them speak english in Heroes would be jarring :D:

One thing I'm really hoping for and that I'm sure a lot of people have been saying/thinking as well, is for Byleth to be a good character.

It sounds pretty obvious, considering the fact that no one would want a bland and boring character, but Byleth has so much potential and I really don't want it to go to waste. Being a teacher and leading your students into war wouldn't be easy at all, seeing as you'd have the lives of all of them weighing on your shoulders. You'd have to be stressed out of your mind eventually, worrying about losing the people that you taught and made bonds with.

It's sort of hard to explain, but I think the idea is clear enough. Overall, I just really don't want Byleth to be all "meh" about sending the students into battle. I think seeing some concern or worry from him, especially if it's before a major battle in the story or something like that, would help characterize him a bit more.