Parrhesia and Integrity's Guide to Surviving Wesnoth

Parrhesia

1 minute ago, Integrity said:

big problem is that this makes the jav literally promoted archer-tier ranged attack, while retaining an 8x3 spear. if they promoted from there they'd be obscenely good - javs are honestly a great generalist unit in short campaigns / single games where the lack of a third tier doesn't hurt them, and they're reasonably good in both phases. situational, but fine. i like them.

the buff i'd theorize is an increase in damage to 8x3 on the javelin - total damage only goes up from 22 to 24, but they gain a lot more consistency to pair with the 40% pierce resist and 48 base health for ranged dueling.

I do get the idea, though I was also comparing to the elven ranger getting a potential 32 damage per round. I will agree on the x3 idea for the javeilineer (maybe I forgot that it's up to 24 damage they can deal from their spears, I mistook it as 18. That's ad from me, I usually am better at math), but yeah the ranger seems to get a lot going for them in comparison (if arguably situational due to the importance of terrain in this game and how the map could have little to no beneficial terrain for them)

6 minutes ago, Integrity said:

i'm doing HttT next, after incursion. you're welcome.

That's going to be a bit if I remember correctly. I wasn't specifically asking for it, just wondering because I remember how long it took for me back then.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

I do get the idea, though I was also comparing to the elven ranger getting a potential 32 damage per round. I will agree on the x3 idea for the javeilineer (maybe I forgot that it's up to 24 damage they can deal from their spears, I mistook it as 18. That's ad from me, I usually am better at math), but yeah the ranger seems to get a lot going for them in comparison (if arguably situational due to the importance of terrain in this game and how the map could have little to no beneficial terrain for them)

oh yeah that's not to downplay the ranger, the ranger line is probably the single best hybrid phase unit in the game, and the javelineer's shooting stats are pretty piddly in comparison. my whole point was that one's gotta consider the javelineer's significantly better defenses when thinking about how far to buff that javelin. with the 10/11x3, they'd be just a significantly stronger ranger in many circumstances, and we're talking about the best hybrid line in the game. 8 or 9x3, though? Significantly, but not staggeringly, lower ranged damage than a ranger in exchange for concrete durability rather than streaky RN durability.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

That's going to be a bit if I remember correctly. I wasn't specifically asking for it, just wondering because I remember how long it took for me back then.

incursion's only 8 maps! you'll see HttT start next week and go until roughly july.

Spoiler

As they fared further north the green forest thinned around them, slowly fading into a barren and fallow country. The signs were obvious and unmistakable - tree stumps, an occasional half-rotten tree felled long ago, and dead wood around them in scarce grass. This had been forest once, like the woods they called home. It had been murdered.

There was no trail to be found here; wind and rain had erased the spoor. Fortunately, there was no need of a trail: smoke on the horizon betrayed the presence of their enemies.

Erlornas was near-certain they would find orcs there. No clan of dwarves would break their ancient treaties with the elves in this way; humans were never so... methodical in their destruction, and did not travel in sufficiently large numbers in a north country they found too cold and damp for comfort. The great question remained - would he find Rualsha?

Perhaps, but not here. The tribe this camp housed was too small to impress fear on other orcs. Come next morning, the elves were prepared for battle.

These quote blocks are a little cringey to transcribe, but in a harmless way. This was written by a 15 year old, and by God I would have thought it was cool at 15.

iJ54jLeV_o.png

N59bnLcV_o.png

If your chosen dave doesn't die he remains pretty consistent. Usually.

Erlornas: Yes. And this is the threat we were blind to but are now facing. This tribe is small, yet we must drive them back to the north. They must have no footholds south of the hills.

agGMi5RA_o.png

Gnargha: Rise up, grunts! We have a great fight upon us! Let your rage flow freely! Let your blades slay all! First one to draw blood will feast by my fire this night!

Erlornas: Aim true, men, with wit and courage the day will be ours. And spare no-one, there can be no orc south of the hills, else we'll never have peace again

nG8m84lh_o.png

Pure skirmish energy. That ugly guy we just saw?

CNeJchol_o.png

Tier 3 grunt. Orcish warlords are fucking huge, and learn to shoot a bow. They are significant threats. Worse, as the enemy boss they'll rarely leave the 60% cover of their base. You do not want to fight these guys in the dark. Look at those numbers, Christ.

WKccWsLG_o.png

The plan is as straightforward as plans go. Unless we absolutely sweep them, we'll end up taking a turn or two to wait for dark to pass before closing in, but we'll do all our mulching at this treeline.

qK7dvUOy_o.png

Our recall list is beefy, and I won't be recruiting any new units. Nominally, it's better to recruit most tier 1 units rather than recall if they're far from promotion, but these guys have names and need to see their final fate.

9IRw5Tkq_o.png

Anyway we can start to fill out our defensive position on turn 2. Go me. I fill out the strategy picture before I do the chapter, so there are gonna be times in the future I completely frick it up.

JZy7923o_o.png

They meet us about as favorably as could be hoped. Note the two weirdos!

4qscRulT_o.png

Tier 2 archers. Orcish crossbowfolk are... fearsome. 8x3 and 10x2 are, honestly, alright damage lines - compare us just making fun of 11x2 javelineers - but their strength comes in the versatility. Lots of the units in the game are either vulnerable to pierce or fire, and often resistant to the other. Orcish base archers don't have quite the numbers to make it work, but the climb to 8x3 and 10x2 means on many units this guy is a particularly powerful tier 1 unit, and on about 60% of the units in the game he's getting to choose a weakness that bumps his damage to respectable tier 2 levels. Contrast shooting a heavy infantryman with a ranger (7x4 against 40% pierce resist) and a crossbowdude (10x2 with -10% fire resist). They're orcish hybrid archer-mages.

Good news: they still suck in melee.

Anyway, the second takeaway is that as campaigns go on enemies can just recruit higher tier units out of thin air. You, generally, cannot. Heir to the Throne can quickly just straight up become a fail state, and I will be flagrantly savescumming the last six or so maps of it.

O7f2TSYL_o.png

Anyway, our boys pin down the right wolf rider and Theo claims the skull.

pyt8o12l_o.png

Riders are scouts with higher numbers.

f0w6Qkf8_o.png

Relatedly, somebody overachieves and feeds a kill to our first fighter to promote.

Hhopa3gT_o.png

Fighters, like many units, branch on first promotion.

qZSRmvyZ_o.png

Captains are cool. Their attacking abilities are.... okay, at best, for a promoted unit, but they come with a new ability: Leadership. Leadership increases the damage of adjacent allied units by the tier difference between the leader and the unit. So a captain, tier 2, will give a +1 damage boost to all attacks made by adjacent tier 1 units (fighters, archers, etc), but will not buff promoted units. When he promotes to Marshal, he'll grant a pretty significant +2 damage to all adjacent new recruits, and also buff nearby tier 2 units with +1 damage per attack. Leadership is quite powerful, but not too easy to make use of.

Note that elvish wank starts to creep in at this tier, but we're not even close to peak.

Cl2tP6OC_o.png

Heroes are fighters with bigger numbers.

3lXOe7IX_o.png

On account of being quick, dextrous, and named Michael Keane, we take the Captain promotion and get into a new defensive posture. Night is falling and we want to mop those crossbowmen up quick.

5UuOleyM_o.png

One archer takes the worst of it, but we weather the dusk.

fnkFlKQM_o.png

Unfortunately we get cosmically unlucky with finishing blows on multiple dudes. This happens.

13p9jg2V_o.png

We're still in a good position, even if our captain is ......sadder for the ordeal.

vxGUoWs8_o.png

It's a sweep. Some guy promotes to Hero in the meantime.

KirpJKAU_o.png

Dark makes crossbowfolk a lot scarier. We still manage the kill.

uJHysrbc_o.png

And then a new wolf rider just yeets the fuck out of the castle and eats some fighter. Figures.

0fnGbcSb_o.png

Anyway, pound the guy into dust, wait til morning, pound the new guy into dust, promote another guy to Ranger.

8fIGEvd5_o.png

And pray.

VVhR0tML_o.png

Elvish bravado wins the day, though. Even though my healer took both return bow shots to the face.

D1q2K61B_o.png

Anyway to close out the night I completely forgot to capture anything the orc guy said as he died but I did catch this. Jeez, guys.

36LnsL15_o.png

Erlornas: Good. But their disregard for self-preservation is astounding. As is their ferocity when defending what they claim as their own. Have the scouts found others this side of the hills?

André Gomes: No, lord. Bu trolls were spotted in the hills ahead. Do we really need to cross them to the north?

Erlornas: Yes. The council has spoken to me through a dream-sending. They are troubled. Reinforcements have been sent after us, but we need to press on. Tell the men to rest, we'll move out at dawn.

André Gomes: What about the loot, lord? We found supplies worth over a hundred gold (TN: five daves' wages) in the camp.

Erlornas: Distribute some among the men, save the rest for the road. This country is a wasteland now; we won't find much forage on the march.

iVFG6zoJ_o.png

What a happy note to end on!

Edited by Integrity

THE SOUTH GUARD - 1

Spoiler

5ece037d11e5f7aefa93851bd2420fdf.jpg
21d64039b1f22ce2cea52d0ceeb56365.png
f8229fa9ba90751e866f434993527e70.jpg
8dbfc8aaf5e9d60cd3e4a6cb66df85f8.jpg
4959577e2407e2ff4e87ac852f3b2c48.jpg
The beginning of the South Guard campaign! And, hey, a career opportunity for our boy Deoran. I am sure this will go well.

26d88194660286064593d59427090894.jpg
oh

2b895a186f7446e5fffc2163eacf5e26.jpg
A homie approaches!

0e28c54a85ee5698e5d0452a932259ab.jpg
So I feel like I was kind of deprecating about Wesnoth before. It, well... Two Brothers is kind of a shitty campaign, and the elf wank is real. So let me re-emphasise - the art is really fucking good for an amateur project. And Deoran even has multiple mood portraits!

d883c0e6138b62ad9b194bbf99fa170c.jpg
0302593f1bc5b2724bbb83a677985611.jpg
d5526968fa2ad22b3ba25a3956d6485b.png
Right. Time to take stock. Between lines, Moreth tells us there's weapons and armour in the River Fort. Time to roll out our best and--

0dea9e17755ed202eb3478930e642652.png
oh

a18b94815da50b22a6f40a1577620d6c.png
For all that we laugh at goblins... they had a 6x3 attack. Peasants... suck. Peasants are fucking terrible. And not worth wasting our time with. Can Deoran hold the front on his own?

0b1dc42238b742aa5a1fe33f0327f770.png
... yeah, again, I go back to that goblin 6x3 attack. And they had a javelin. And were tier 1. Gameplay and story integration is a bitch, and right now it means that Deoran is terrible. Note he has the leadership skill, increasing the damage of adjacent units by 25%. This is great! Except Deoran's a tier 1, so... literally only inspires peasants. Leadership is a very fun and useful tool to have, but Deoran needs to get some kills under his belt before it really comes into its own.

On the easiest difficulty, Deoran's a tier 2 to start with, and Moreth's a pikeman.

447d0538be154c368754ece0c97ade82.jpg
Let's fucking book it south, shall we? Also note: Wesnoth has a variety of different flag designs! Instead of the normal straight team colour pennant, Deoran's boys have a white-and-team-colour striped design. Contrast to the tattered brigand flag.

a749ad773fa9ce0765dcdea11bfbc01c.jpg
Urza Mathin pops out his two baby versions.

7e447a6980c671f78c9bd44b232aa5a0.png
Ruffians are the worst and cheapest unit in the entire game. Their combat performance reflects this. They have no health and pathetic damage with their clubs.

d08f42aca4aff5c610327b28bc7eb90f.png
Thugs have a great flavour text and great art. I love their pouches, very DiTerlizzi. And their fucking pompadours. Anyway, yeah. All the brigands are very cheap, and thugs are alone in that they take a while to level up. So, sure, they aren't very good, but Wesnoth units can't be compared in a vaccuum. Sometimes you do, in fact, just want a guy who beats people to death with a club.

ddf22d318eea523ba7c64cb40f4fa7ba.jpg
We find Gerrick in the fort. Together We Ride plays, metaphorically.

5253e60bb2e7a7d36e51a083462cb1c5.jpg
Oh, thank God.

13631757164c2e17072d8436a89b6090.png
Time to... well... do that. But first!

27871f8b542f49bd4b78d489d9c7eeb6.png
Gerrick is a powerful fucking deuteragonist, or however the fuck you spell that. He's got heavy infantry resistances, shrugging off blade and pierce armour like it's nothing, a nice sharp glaive (Metzen alert), leadership and normal movement.

70102134d3515be805fddb696a9f17cc.png
We find another homie in this random village - if you're playing this on beginner, he's a full-fledged longbowman. We're advancing forward so we can deny blue income, not just get it for ourselves. That said, our gains are short-lived - night is coming. Better to regroup over our side of the river, ceding our gains for now while we recruit.

f7928e389c87194c93216d31171ee15e.png
Aleron's stint with the South Guard is pretty short-lived. You get a handful of loyal peasants in South Guard - issue is that recalling a peasant still costs 20, when recruitment costs 8.

6af380e350e928a5b0652c0864b262f0.png
a5b1f331e14f6bf3c5dfc8c164ed03eb.png
Deoran kills a child his age from a lower socio-economic bracket. Also, uh. There's no way of being nice about this - Deoran's sprite is dated as fuck. It's based, IIRC, on the old horseman sprite, but the horseman sprite was recently pimped the fuck out. So, for that matter, was Gerrick's - but Deoran's was left behind, unfortunately. Oh well. It's kind of like the effect of when one of your marquee guys in Warhammer is like a really old, swaggy, shitty model.

75337750f0060e25d3c6fe54d1618435.png
They obligingly run into our spears on the shoreline. Okay, being chaotic at night is nice, but standing in 20%-defence rivers? Less so.

316042dc952cff983b63b9faac34eadc.jpg
074c90ca97c389d861930dc13b6f11c1.png
Yeah, uh, that's gonna happen. It might've been slightly dicier if Aleron hadn't given his life to get brutally clubbed to death in a barn in some woods.

9592da2257e326ad26147d785184b8e1.png
It was at that moment that Maranyc began to feel very, very alone.

510b620e6b6338e1b1124b1739524fca.png
eeebfbb0391e7a0c0b51df26b7c634c7.png
Not much more to say - we mosey south, killing a couple of ruffians along the way.

9cd42d391d910e4d8ddae981fa86eaa4.png
be08c752883a27ca43c422e3d272e3f4.jpg
And yet again, even at night, enough archers can bring down a powerful foe.

90552abc8b96fa4cf2dd273e91fa101a.jpg
b3413c09f1bf8703830ed7319ec7105c.jpg
05245f929ff15e9424661452157e47d2.png
018854e7ab15e70c5e2e44def224660e.png
I do appreciate Deoran and Gerrick's dynamic - the young border lord, the seasoned career fighter. Deoran's tier 3 is even Cavalry Commander while Gerrick's is Infantry Commander.

73672ba62733132f00185e590b26f531.png
This is also one of those campaigns which ... the scale feels right. Each one of these dudes is probably just A Dude.

4c70c3a8a2f7e21595d1f357b05697ad.png
I am sure Westin will be fine.

NEXT TIME:
4dc202d710b64a52acfa4700b85e060a.png
oh

I don't find Sir Gerrick to be THAT great in context of the campaign. He has basically no resistance against impact weapons and low avoid. So all those Ruffians with their clubs can really tear him apart.

Coincidence of all coincidences, but I actually started on The South Guard after reinstalling the game.

I'm a fair bit further than the first map though. No spoilers of future maps though.

4 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

0e28c54a85ee5698e5d0452a932259ab.jpg
So I feel like I was kind of deprecating about Wesnoth before. It, well... Two Brothers is kind of a shitty campaign, and the elf wank is real. So let me re-emphasise - the art is really fucking good for an amateur project. And Deoran even has multiple mood portraits!

I love that he just looks like he's a mounted policeman shouting at people to calm down, the little shits.

Thugs have a great flavour text and great art. I love their pouches, very DiTerlizzi. And their fucking pompadours. Anyway, yeah. All the brigands are very cheap, and thugs are alone in that they take a while to level up. So, sure, they aren't very good, but Wesnoth units can't be compared in a vaccuum. Sometimes you do, in fact, just want a guy who beats people to death with a club.

I would not ignore those thugs at night where they start to deal some serious damage.

Sure, Tier 1, but a bunch of these at night is actually concerning.

70102134d3515be805fddb696a9f17cc.png
We find another homie in this random village - if you're playing this on beginner, he's a full-fledged longbowman. We're advancing forward so we can deny blue income, not just get it for ourselves. That said, our gains are short-lived - night is coming. Better to regroup over our side of the river, ceding our gains for now while we recruit.

That's kind of hilarious considering what he's supposed to be versus what you get in Beginner. Why not archer?

I'll just mention a missed event for this map:

Spoiler

There's an event if you send someone to cap the sea village near the river fort you not only get two mermen on your side but they'll also be recruitable for the campaign. I will vouch for their usefulness in this campaign.

Edited by Dayni

3 hours ago, BrightBow said:

^

Is there even a need for any spoiler tags? I figured they are both well versed in the campaigns. But yeah, triggering that event probably would have been a good idea.

There's a difference between 'well-versed' and 'photographic memory of every event'. But, yeah, spoiler policy is; any map we've already seen, go nuts, do whatever, spring break.

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

That's kind of hilarious considering what he's supposed to be versus what you get in Beginner. Why not archer?

On the hardest difficulty setting all you get is an enemy Footpad. So a Lv0 ally is actually a good middle ground, I'd say.

The differences between difficulty levels seem far more significant then I ever noticed.

Edited by BrightBow

6 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

On the hardest difficulty setting all you get is an enemy Footpad. So a Lv0 ally is actually a good middle ground, I'd say.

The differences between difficulty levels seem far more significant then I ever noticed.

Alright, that's even more hilarious.

I put that event in spoilers so that those who decided to play the campaign based on what they've seen so far could have some things they don't know about and could find for themselves and to fill in this gap that happened to not be covered for those who aren't as concerned. Considering this does affect other maps in some form, better safe than sorry personally.

Edited by Dayni

THE SOUTH GUARD - 2

Spoiler

6599ea72ec6c80ab7b1b70ce99c3fb16.jpg
d6e044bb96219920ce42325500daf0c5.png
65742f7889f1f01ac629fb0ac26de005.jpg
I'd also be concerned if I heard screaming and fire, honestly.

c89a5b706950d9749545b61333539e0e.jpg
59edefef9c15dbc94ad145437122446e.png
7c397b4f7c25c9685adf64f3617e2dc9.jpg
Oh, our introduction to the Tier 2 footpad! I love their art.

d673e75df4623f43f9703fe4a6ae4efc.png
Like last map, we need to get Deoran to an objective and take stock from there.

1d08c2823efb67593895f284e268e3ef.jpg
Westin's seen better days.

b456902f2931fe64d7583b6c0591ebff.png
Tier 2 footpads, but they cross a threshold. Footpads are... painfully bad at fighting, but chances are an outlaw can do serious damage with at least one of morningstar or sling, and impact's a good weapon type.

c2897035c866fee85337026de11b2a98.png
1cf25e6e6e2a5af3fb6e108153bbed2a.png
We've now seen all three tiers of the Thief line, though I forgot to actually take a screenshot of the Rogue at the time - he was the second guard leader in Three Bros, the guy Arne pasted in a single lance-blow. Thieves are... abject. Rogues rely on skirmish to flank opponents, and have knives for general-purpose chipping. Thieves. Don't. Have these things. Good news, though, is at least they don't take much work to promote. Under ideal circumstances - aka at night, with a backstab up - they can do some serious damage.

cfb7ca0472fdd1736b069e1e4e6d441b.jpg
ef71d72ed34b746fdac90f358a7ba2d4.png
Turn one we focus on just putting out guys - three veterans of last match. The two footpads aren't really up to much; rolling southwest with three bowmen and four spearmen is more than enough, with the keep in Westin. Which is handy because I'm not thinking straight and move Deoran off the keep after a single wave of recruitment before summoning reinforcements. Ah well.

ed23d447fdc370817f359a913a4bff31.png
The thief guarding Westin chooses death.

74beb50096cbb21f5f6841dd5564f5f3.jpg
Hey, we found a dude! I've boosted up the resolution so we can hopefully see the art a little better. Hopefully.

16bf1080bede7f72fb023042658b24c0.jpg
And he's a fancy motherfucker, too.

f2b2008c4c63988033d423f7e6a06c9e.png
ff9684789cdee90e5241f5d29680ccb9.png
Wow. I... guess you could call him a... slow Loris.

397460db174ff5f1ba553a2b700efa18.jpg
More alternate art!

71040248f6ce283b91084d9a53d70ca1.jpg
Four homies join us. One actually counts - loyal and resilient Ufes, this guy. Joran, Makees and... uhm... Tyborg will not be so lucky.

e505aa1d3d51a6455b52fe1061c3cc6a.jpg
uh

002ff41728b290459fe56ccbcaa3f8d5.jpg
NO SHIT, DOG

463039e9a3649fb56f980b73c892363b.png
Okay, so this is bad. Skeletons, as has been mentioned and as would be expected, are basically immune to pierce damage. We have... all of two guys whose primary method of damage isn't pierce damage.

5ac1a4dd1568e9128f1239f50305d125.jpg
Oh, hey! Makees goes to secure a village and finds friends, instead. Friends who... only deal pierce damage...

c36e623fcfa9b3e36d0de296d9d71d7a.png
a8112eae9436d1c7f9a62a1bebd17d2e.png
The mermen, it's important to note first, have great art. As fighters, they're pretty mediocre - you'll note that the hunter is just straight up a damage-per-shot and 3 HP worse than a bowman. But they glide through water easily, and that, well, situationally that can count for a lot. On land, they aren't dreadful - 30% defence on flat ground is heavy infantry numbers, but they aren't going to die instantly. They're lawful. Oh, and we can now train Merman Hunters ourselves, should we wish - I'll pass.

Anyway, let's see what our buddy Minister Hylas can conjure u-

36e5879e61aa203b3176e1655a295011.png
OH GOD

5325e990846e65c02c37399c61789353.png
So, white magi are fucking l i t, pun not intended but fully sick and embraced anyway. Ike's run you through the elven shaman improvements. Laughably, they have to choose between dealing huge quantities of arcane damage and healing. White magi have a 9x3 arcane attack - notably worse, sure, than the red mage's 8x4, but consider this; arcane damage does an extra 50% against the undead.

Also, the female white mage is a self-portrait of the person who did all the wizards, criminals and, in a time long past, elves.

4af84308f64ccc4e2edea14a7c6492f3.jpg
Myssh's debut isn't... crash-hot, after he opens promisingly by pulverising a thief. Tier 2s are not twice as good at fighting as Tier 1s, especially not when their weapon type is mostly mitigated by bone.

faf84fcdc5861e9c47627be5da0bddbf.jpg
So here's the plan. We can't do much at night, but we can, at least, hold the line here and sponge up as much damage as possible with spearmen who don't have great traits. Hopefully they go for Makees.

251aa5a740d0b7a1713282d1526db0ae.png
this is fine dot png
Makees gets killed by the spare skeleton here, and Moreth takes some heat, but on the whole we leave with no significant losses, and Deoran's masterful exhibit of your-fist-to-my-face style has left him 8 XP from levelling to 2! God, he needs it.

770f3fa64d791b6419d9603026a40be7.png
Much as I'd love to make these cunts feel the rapture, with only spears and bows and at night I have nothing to back Hylas up with.

19c111c478a144d2ea5c324fd083de35.png
It's fine, though; we destroy them as soon as the sun rises. And is it just me or is Deoran looking a little more...

a804e681ee826b298417804d180bf172.png
... yesssssss. God, that mace is coming, um, not quite in the nick of time. But Deoran, previously terrible, is now very strong.

a02c01d1c57599dd55edb789b43edc8f.jpg
The crossing is kind of a bitch, but beating him up, even from this position, even with him on forest... well, the weight of spears tells in the end. He falls back and Moreth drives the finishing blow.

2c7ed4e300e6aca557a0479b2fdef31f.jpg
Apparently the elves knew some shit was up, and wanted to talk to Loris about this. Loris, correctly, said fuck no, because they're elves.

3a4e3bd81e034603e6c91815967419e4.jpg
1b275fa48024cc62a3c0671df3af2f0e.png
Deoran's pragmatic about the whole affair. We're gonna go over the elves and appeal for some fucking cavalry in the interim. Gameplay and story integrate well, here - spearmen and bowmen make sense as militia-type units, and also make sense that it's all Deoran's got.

Next time: that changes, with horseflesh.

I used to play this shit all the time when I was younger; I think I may have actually played it before I ever touched an FE game lol. It's cool to see it's still getting updates and even a steam release!

I don't think I ever actually touched An Orcish Incursion though. I wasn't a big fan of Wesnoth's elves so I tended to ignore campaigns they starred in lol.

3 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

16bf1080bede7f72fb023042658b24c0.jpg
And he's a fancy motherfucker, too.

I honestly like the effects on the staff the most.

The mermen, it's important to note first, have great art. As fighters, they're pretty mediocre - you'll note that the hunter is just straight up a damage-per-shot and 3 HP worse than a bowman. But they glide through water easily, and that, well, situationally that can count for a lot. On land, they aren't dreadful - 30% defence on flat ground is heavy infantry numbers, but they aren't going to die instantly. They're lawful. Oh, and we can now train Merman Hunters ourselves, should we wish - I'll pass.

I will say this: I was rolling three of them (Counting the warrior) out on a couple of maps and the hunter (one with the javelins) surprised me with how useful he was, especially on one of the later maps (I'll talk about that when we get to it).

So, white magi are fucking l i t, pun not intended but fully sick and embraced anyway. Ike's run you through the elven shaman improvements. Laughably, they have to choose between dealing huge quantities of arcane damage and healing. White magi have a 9x3 arcane attack - notably worse, sure, than the red mage's 8x4, but consider this; arcane damage does an extra 50% against the undead.

Also, the female white mage is a self-portrait of the person who did all the wizards, criminals and, in a time long past, elves.

I mean, considering what they do to corpses, they're pretty lit up in battle anyway.

... yesssssss. God, that mace is coming, um, not quite in the nick of time. But Deoran, previously terrible, is now very strong.

Well, considering the rest of the campaign it's a good thing he has it early regardless.

I was a bit later with it myself.

Apparently the elves knew some shit was up, and wanted to talk to Loris about this. Loris, correctly, said fuck no, because they're elves.

Loris unfortunately also died, complicating the understandable mistrust.

I'm also curious which versions you and Integrity have. Obviously won't affect gameplay much at all, but I think I've seen some differences so far and it's made me curious.

7 hours ago, Dayni said:

I'm also curious which versions you and Integrity have. Obviously won't affect gameplay much at all, but I think I've seen some differences so far and it's made me curious.

current steam patch, which is 1.14.6

Spoiler

AQrkCcTB_o.png

At dusk they arrived at the mouth of a valley cutting almost straight through the range and made camp, as scouts warned that the area was hostile and the road ahead treacherous in darkness. There were no songs or music that night and most of the elves slept uneasily. An unlucky few kept a cautious watch.

When sunrise came, the elves moved into battle formations. Whatever waited in the slopes ahead, it would not find them unprepared.

HkfDZx86_o.png

XJRNzhTW_o.png

Hey, it's fog of war! All units can see any tile they could more to with one full turn from wherever they are. Scouts are the best scouts. Mountains are hard to see through, unless you're a dwarf or a troll or you fly.

Technically this is called 'Shroud' in the game, and fog of war is a separate thing we haven't seen yet, but fuck 'em I'm calling both fog of war.

Erlornas: You know well enough... Rualsha. That name sounds everywhere we go since the incursion began. That orc is much more than a mere marauding bandit in search of pillage. And he wants this land. Our land. He is planning an invasion, I'm sure of it. We must gather more information about his plans before we go back.

Erlornas: And tell me... How did you sleep last night?

André Gomes: How did I?... Uneasy, lord. My dreams were bleak, some of them nightmares.

Erlornas: Yes. The earth currents are perturbed here, and the bridges to the dreamland are tainted [tn: this is the stupidest sentence i have ever transcribed]. I think there is a mage dwelling somewhere nearby. Or perhaps more than one; the traces are mixed, and some of them have an unwholesome flavor.

André Gomes: It would be dire indeed for us if these orcs have magic to add to their battle-might.

Erlornas: We must discover if this is so.

André Gomes: Information will do us no good if we are killed before we return with it! These mountains look like troll territory.

Erlornas: Enough. The sun's fully over the horizon. Give the order to advance.

tonaXp1p_o.png

sSu5s5nu_o.png

Anyway, I vaguely remember this map. We're going to put guys in these two directions. I think there are two bosses, maybe three, and they're roughly here. Let's go.

Ow2BBAzZ_o.png

Hey, nailed it on one pretty much. That's gotta lead to a boss.

Non5kJ1n_o.png

I was a bit off on the other, but that's life. Sometimes maps give you convenient things for your boss to cap on turn 1, then he can head back and recruit on turn 2.

eUdbMX8e_o.png

I was right on the first one, too.

Zp0dzzCg_o.png

Blue guy shits out a promoted unit, which provides the best bestiary dump opportunity imaginable because all three tiers of melee troll are on screen.

SU1fDGq4_o.png

nyxCx0RX_o.png

Vbw03Gl6_o.png

The troll melee line literally just gets bigger. They always, only, have tons of hit points, and Increasing Numbers x 2 impact hits. Regeneration gives them back +8 health every turn, or negates the effect of poison (or you can say poison negates regeneration). Beginning of turn heals don't stack, so that means they effectively cannot be healed and get nothing from standing on houses. They can spawn with fearless, which is very nice for the entirely-chaotic orcs faction. I really like trolls

geBdUsMB_o.png

Anyway, it's getting dark and fighting trolls in the dark is death so it's time to make a bit of space. Our noble ranger managed to slam a bunch of damage into the unlucky tier 2 troll on the enemy phase, so let's get about it.

70fyq7Ch_o.png

Note the power of zones of control at work here. Our lad is completely screwed unless we come back him out.

RiWnhE9X_o.png

Dark falls and we manage to clear a good bit of space, even though our druid nearly bites it. That, for context, was one hit from the boss and one from the baby. If the tier 3 troll lands two hits in twilight, darkness, or while fearless, it's death for lots of units.

Oh, it's hard to tell, but the troll on the right has 8 xp. That's because he decided an entire full health archer was no longer allowed to live. Trolls are scary.

FIfXzjTH_o.png

We pin the boss in a great location, relatively. Enough damage into him and the AI won't risk dying on the counter and will instead limp off to try to summon more grist.

hAyJwY7a_o.png

Fuck's sake. That's RNG. Good news is he'll only heal 8 health and we can get him next turn.

ZwSkGNvZ_o.png

Fuck's sake.

YgEj1RpO_o.png

Anyway, he dies. Somehow, Erlornas knows we've nearly won after that. What a loser. We're only halfway done.

pIird9PB_o.png

Action shot! Someone nearly dies due to a sudden excursion from the other boss.

AHcVW9sy_o.png

Not only yikes, but also this guy was just about to promote. Time to retreat.

UJHHN5CJ_o.png

At this point I went to take the next screenshot and looked over at my other monitor and caught Mbappé making a really silly face. I took that screenshot instead and decided to share it.

aATkKH7x_o.png

Anyway, we pull the wounded out and pretty much secure the map. Poor guy.

Ah7eALun_o.png

You can run, buddy. And you can punch that archer really fucking hard.

M00TJ5Dp_o.png

But you can't hide. Time for a new promotion.

4tviVSxF_o.png

Erlornas: It is well. Break camp and move everyone through the pass before they rally. We'll rest a bit on the other side; we have earned it.

André Gomes: At once. How much time do you think we have?

Erlornas: A day, perhaps. We fought two clans today; they won't take long to rally. We need to be gone from here by sunset next.

UQ6lShmL_o.png

Not pictured: victory in Wesnoth makes this really satisfying BUMbumBUMbumBUMbumBUMbumBUMbumBAAAAAAAAAA-NA sound.

Edited by Integrity

The troll art is really nice but when I went digging to find who made it and if there's any more work being done on art RN I got to see how fucking inefficient the art dev process on Wesnoth is and highkey tilted out.

19 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

The troll art is really nice but when I went digging to find who made it and if there's any more work being done on art RN I got to see how fucking inefficient the art dev process on Wesnoth is and highkey tilted out.

I think the dev process of Wesnoth is fast in most areas is pretty fast tbh. Art is just separate from the rest of the game because it's kind of a cult of personality. I have vivid memories of reading this List of things that the Wesnoth art director recommended that other Open Source game developers do to grow their project.

7 hours ago, Integrity said:

Vbw03Gl6_o.png

The troll melee line literally just gets bigger. They always, only, have tons of hit points, and Increasing Numbers x 2 impact hits. Regeneration gives them back +8 health every turn, or negates the effect of poison (or you can say poison negates regeneration). Beginning of turn heals don't stack, so that means they effectively cannot be healed and get nothing from standing on houses. They can spawn with fearless, which is very nice for the entirely-chaotic orcs faction. I really like trolls

The most articulate way a troll would put it: "Why use many small thing when big thing do?"

Also, that art is pretty great for the lot of them. Shame that the armour doesn't increase the warrior's defences slightly.

SOUTH GUARD 3

Spoiler

43aa34cd81e2395085951886d36f83dc.jpg
2d05943bf740b71c853813de180b8ff0.jpg
d2bd548b4f3b8939f1e9680b2ce80845.jpg
ece572478b9842abf396cbc3f6611cf9.png
Today, Deoran, a teenager, rails at his mid-40s advisors for being nerds.

1e7af72b4c0c8d08baa4e4fb831e1cf9.jpg
Come to think of it, that's another thing Wesnoth's good at; having old cunts show up. Tier 1 humans generally look in their mid-late 20s, and they're all weathered-looking motherfuckers.

4f9fbdf02ca1d4e752281a268f729fdb.jpg
Our goal is to arrive at the castle a fair march northwest of this guy, and you can tell from the path we pretty much have a single path to get there.

b7c8e13815c09c040dcba316781db0e1.jpg
Start of turn 3 and hel-fucking-lo, who's this tall glass of water?

d2c1dddeec8d9a748a57bcd49bad9c87.png
2df47f8bc3fe3093e50b1bc1dad6fae3.png
So horsemen, terrifyingly, are what the loyalists consider to be light cavalry. Cavalrymen are proper heavy cavalry. Not too much cop at dealing damage, though at least it's with a blade - but they have a nice, chunky resistance against blade (30%) and impact (40%), though like all cavalry they're vulnerable to pierce (20%).

1d44d68e4b927feb7d0a03f94387833e.jpg
Battle is joined at dusk, and starts with this skeleton getting fucking pulverised, along with a random bat that gunned it for base getting oneshot by Deoran.

fbdbbb8a3d216958d69021666a575898.jpg
807fb0370a97c1841705285a5d0b5d96.jpg
We march on. There's... really not much to say about this map. Beyond that I overrecruited, as usual.

f57f4b140a8fc6b0e72ba8f41a484c4d.jpg
This guy decides his life is worth less than the opportunity to hurl three knives at Gerrick.

b03b735be2574241fdaa52b83ddd71a1.jpg
512cb59566d851f58001954ae8c61af9.jpg
eadcbbc2ff905624d929180a530b7440.png
You're my favourite, Moreth.

a6e6ed8472974fa58e5e948ad15de161.png
I... don't think we ever actually covered bats, three of whom we wipe off the next turn. They're hateful little shits, with 60% defence everywhere (since, you know, flying) and a drain ability. At least they're pretty much only effective combatants at night, and they have no ZoC. It'd sure be annoying if you could just recruit a level 1 flier with drain, hey!! Also, I say everywhere, but actually thanks to the feral ability they have a lower defence - 50% - on villages.

The undead have the second-most obnoxious scout unit in the game. They also have the most obnoxious scout unit in the game. Thankfully, we're yet to see one.

647d799ed8c0d1c05bf8faf6c696a416.jpg
5beda50b01b29def5886c682db1a7d14.png
After a couple more turns schlepping to the exit, boom, elven bullshit.

e3d0c33428df71b8aaf4bb024405be7a.png
4e7bdac650089da0183f184985ece659.png
Oh, honey. He's trying.

4d548e94882949f4c42463e89f81d252.jpg
Ah, a shyde! The tier 3 elven healer. This one has a unique portrait, too.

1c4e5a7c966320fdc86d9dfe8e5cea71.jpg
f4fa33a96de6a2252c9d0779a2071454.jpg
3753007d996b4fd37cc827581f26470f.png
I like Deoran. He's just like, shit is fucked and the only way he knows is to fuckin slam his face into every issue he faces, and it works.

762487be8bb953db11dfb0492405b97f.png
54ad6cdc9f8ca8878612c3ea24011958.png
"Iiiii wwwwooooould summon a kick-arse undead army and burn the forests and take over the world"

aca88bbe0c8c6f07a1c8991cfe7391ba.jpg
1c9c0b7eb71893479d828b280155f99d.jpg
So, when Wesnoth doesn't go full elf-wank, it actually goes have a good aesthetic for them going. Its elves feel properly alien, from the white eyes to the fae affinity, their unnatural ability to blend in with forests, even little details like 'the elven word for 'hero' more accurately translates to 'dude who has seen too much shit''. And they're angry little fuckbags who really just want to be left alone and solve their own problems.

8176bbcb856019fd49134f041c52fa01.jpg
83da61e525d215e0eedebb939ab0f084.jpg
Basically, Wesnoth creates an environment in which 'you know what, fuck elves' really is the natural response, but it also makes sense that they do hold various useful eldritch knowledge, and are just too stubborn and conservative to do what has to be done with it.

c40d8a75278c313463c7fcfdecd24741.png
46ac6b8a938b1d2dd2af722863d21472.png
i told you about elves dog
i told you bro

f8ff24597ff39410c444c0d09e00b8fa.png
64243e30e541419a8319f519fb2cf7d2.png
The marshal tires of this.

5147d93d926cf9f683ee77c7b0d1f422.jpg
e2b3295f785c17514186cde37c4cb4a4.jpg
I like the detail that the marshal tosses it over to Ethiliel... but only having clearly expected that Ethiliel would tell him and the boys to open fire.

f5e34f0c207c110d7d3672e82b39210e.png
c347a5f286b5cba1911d254984ea0c6a.jpg
i'm sorry deoran what's that face

d992349cf8ddfa2f8dd3e103d5f40e45.png
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

next up: tears

THE SOUTH GUARD 4

Spoiler

b51148df63fc4ba9de64f12f09d5db3e.jpg
Whew, already at the halfwayish point of the South Guard!

b37683de9479c267b7a62798a3ba0074.jpg
9cba56d4747f308116970e959e07aea7.jpg
9c12fadab4d337d58832b7977a31f4c8.jpg
352310240c2d56594796059b0cbe6a5a.jpg
bc0d8ca395194b9acd65378ab87bb419.jpg
b0573848b708a65a5056833fb7ec043c.png
e25c41e7406bff87297752818bb5556d.jpg
Alright, so yeah the elves let a fucking necromancer get into the peace love happy valley. This must be how San Francisco's residents feel about Facebook moving an office in.

28e7a7875ceb8416d7dbfd5f933de1dc.jpg
65462d63952d2e367d0a8fe64befb091.jpg
uh

cd1284095a6fe4e0ba760b85342ee5b4.png
Alright, is it- is it the name? Did they already get to rename the joint? Also you'd better believe I'm gonna find out what happens if you let a human enter first.

50601014e2bc8820bee41ea0f2b05a23.jpg
285fd1d748203f333ba7121713646ec2.jpg
'Ineffective' my arse. Anyway, in the early runnings of the mission, I recruit probably too many cavalrymen and make my way into the heart of the map. Unless we do some damage while it's still light, we're set for an ugly night phase.

f510ebbcbb32ae76015a457372613863.jpg
But who's that jaunty fellow in the top right? And did we ever actually remember to introduce ghouls?

b8050667f89be253b9e5eed8c0105c6a.png
There's not too much to say here, except that skeleton archers obviously excel in duels against meat archers. Except orcs! Another reason orcish archers are the best in the game.

6050fed2f673594e86c0beaecfd0c4d3.png
We've met ghouls. They sponge damage with a variety of mild resistances, dole out poison in response, but mostly they're just annoying. I don't rate them much.

35887167d8ef5dfff26117f7bf18cfa2.png
In the south, brigands are in our way - I hope to use the day to crush them, but miss all seven (!) attacks.

a84ba758982f9ebf7cab3b842320f36c.jpg
The situation changes subtly but importantly next turn, as the rest of blue is... mostly dealt with. The random cavalry that drew off a skeleton archer in the north now goes for gold against the leader, while making certain to finish our opponents means risk is minimal - that archer's slowed by Ethiliel, minimising its threat. In the south, the brigands... can't really scratch our cavalry, as Moreth tries and fails to steal kills.

50da4c9869109f5965e7fcad4fb9f6c7.png
As night falls - Christ, this cavalryman's earned his corn. We're going to have to be brave, with this.

db792a7ea346b34c8193855906df9b94.png
First, land that slow. We get lucky and it lands first-time.

f1d0cdbfe24f27335053814b2f131ee2.png
Thennnnn uhhhh just kinda sit here awkwardly

14279513d9853b5a0b7de294488a7684.png
In the south, we try and dislodge some of these guys and hopefully kill the hey who's that pokemon

1f06be2513456a911fadd476c0b8be73.png
Poachers are really good. Okay, so they have less raw attack power than... any other archer we've seen. But they pepper reliably with four shots, they're cheap like bowmen and have slightly better resistances, and, best of all? They promote very, very quickly. The poacher promotions are kind of underwhelming individually - they're kind of more like Tier 1.75s and 2.5s - but they get there fast.

1e70fd149fc38b64f3523ee0aada2ec6.jpg
This guy croaks, predictably.

1f78b8bcc042fe517bf28f0d7092c3be.jpg
9eb1237f1bbc2f56dcaa14b30c91ad2b.jpg
184a488e8e8c373a9c1004ff67cb91fe.jpg
She has bodyguards??

1f48cfe45ebf63a2158598673ee2fe8e.jpg
They're smug fucks, predictably. But, yeah, three elven ranger homies show up. All named, uhm, Elven Bodyguard.

0f7e75021307163ca2e31f8de6d697a4.png
Squeaky bum time in the south. Jarek barely makes it with three health.

521b7c7f43f485e3f4302f5ea3d60e7c.jpg
Ethiliel switches to thorns, and we finish things this turn.

f6c3c588e261faa2b06361485e81c827.png
In the south, Jarek books it to safety and this guy takes his place. Our first spear promote this campaign!

22802fc78f24d15fdb11ce23846e83d0.png
475bb139cacf5f687a65110074b67201.png
He's strong, and I bias this to where it'll make marginally more difference, with the four attacks of the swordsman (pikemen get three). I really like swordsmen. They attack a lot, do chunky damage, have a lot of HP and some slight 20% resistance to blade and impact damage. They're really solid men-of-the-line. I love their art, too - just a really solid, stoic brick of dude.

5c6c5ab0864074fd3d028a3889b47a76.png
MORETH NO

2daf9999f1dfa2531ad84aacacd79457.png
oh god
He actually survived that thanks to first strike. The outlaw fucked him up hard, the poacher peppered him with shots and the thug... ran into his spear and died.

bb17c35f6989ca92262ae138090018cc.png
Sounds like a great excuse to show off pikemen! I like them a lot, too, but the differences between them and swordsmen really explain themselves. They're also 40% resistant to piercing, instead of 20% to blade and impact. Both nice to have. They also both promote fairly quickly. I slightly prefer swordsmen, but a balance of both helps out against a variety of opponents.

38dcb4a3842d0f4b8171a1b9deeb3733.png
Hey, let's show this guy what we've learned! Swag gets a little overenthusiastic and kills him himself, though.

83fda6ba5f46fb6e2d647791a74b58e9.jpg
d22b49e576f8746b812a0aa95cad516a.jpg
Ice cold, Swag. Ice fuckin' cold.

abc59314d238a5a949fdc7b17cc6fff2.jpg
Quit whining, Ufes, it literally has two health left. Myssh finishes it off instead. And with that, the map's done and dusted. Let's see what happens if we fuck up with visiting Mebrin!

9181be2307794e64c889215ac7e863f2.png
Nothing. Infuriatingly, neither Jarek nor the random elf bodyguard trigger any event at all, though they do automatically move off the village when the next turn starts for some reason.

66398246a8f68c2d2836860813625d66.jpg
But nobody came.

d8c3dc8f0f51cf3c26eb770657281e88.jpg
f8f2e62adb0e67d010f7c25700eca16d.jpg
1406232c94c545e7c5875bda09436c27.jpg
65bca789ce52c67fe18bef1b83add97f.jpg
Yeah, I figure it's probably the only other antagonistic force.

714f51afdb27dc2d0a3ceb592387343b.jpg
3fff7ac1d0c76645fffcbf7a4bf9236e.jpg
2d24ecb92f6371a4cedbc3877b1a57ed.jpg
The writing quality might not be the best in the world, but it's still nice to see the human suspicion of Elven Bullshit.

Next time: Meaningful decisions.

Parrhesia, are you working with an earlier version? I ask because this map looks mighty different in 1.14.

8 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

184a488e8e8c373a9c1004ff67cb91fe.jpg
She has bodyguards??

I'm now trying to figure out how I triggered this event.

8 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

d22b49e576f8746b812a0aa95cad516a.jpg
Ice cold, Swag. Ice fuckin' cold.

Sir Catch-Hands of the noble house of No Fucks, everyone.

You don't survive Wesnoth. You just throw enough units as a sacrifice to the dice gods until you beat the map, because FE6's RNG is back and here to screw you.

Good to see some Wesnoth love. I almost mistook Orcish Incursion with the other campaign (fan? promoted to official) where you start against three Tier 3 Orc commanders and it spares no time before kicking you in the balls.