Parrhesia and Integrity's Guide to Surviving Wesnoth

Parrhesia

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

Yes, as so many unenlightened third-worlders such as checks notes Ray Bradbury have done

...And admittedly, the Chinese if my one book on the early invention of firearms there is being remembered correctly, does mention the Chinese referring to some bombs with the ideogram for "thunder" thrown in their names to sound awesome.

I'll delete the post. I should've just stuck with a perverted little lighthearted joke and not added that, done only because my history-oriented mind had that little factoid pop into it as I was typing it. I just finished reading a history of Mexico, my MA is in World History, I support inclusiveness.

Please no points. Please. 

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I can understand why someone would compare a firearm to thunder. 

the problem is there is a distinct disconnect between understanding why one would compare a stick that makes a thunder noise to being thunder, and calling them out for being indigenous peoples who are being dominated by a technologically superior conqueror.

like, it's not that the original chinese inventors of gunpowder gave the bang any superior nomenclature - it was called fire medicine, because they didn't really understand what it did - but they literally invented it

8 minutes ago, Integrity said:

the problem is there is a distinct disconnect between understanding why one would compare a stick that makes a thunder noise to being thunder, and calling them out for being indigenous peoples who are being dominated by a technologically superior conqueror.

like, it's not that the original chinese inventors of gunpowder gave the bang any superior nomenclature - it was called fire medicine, because they didn't really understand what it did - but they literally invented it

I did not praise the conquerors, and did not intend to whatsoever. My use of the word "poor" to describe the natives, although I should have used "indigenous" in retrospect, was not to be condescending, it was to be sincerely sympathetic.

And I'm aware of fire medicine, my above post already mentions something similar. I learned the fire medicine thing from a book that was thoroughly revisionist Chinese history and I loved that book (The Gunpowder Age by Tonio Andrade to be precise). I like revisionist histories which contradict and argue against European preconceptions of non-European societies. I've also read Westad's Global Cold War.

Again, I apologize, I did not intend to be racist or anything else negative in the post deemed objectionable.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

44 minutes ago, Integrity said:

wpTKtigf_o.png

I'm going to be honest, coming across this part of the opening made me think some unfortunate things had gone on.

You know, the Oedepial kind.

Not that it matters thanks to Delfadonekilledaking.

Meet Konrad. He's our lord for the next twenty-

checks

twenty-seven updates.

My offer of covering route splits still stands.

Finally, we have control of .....honestly one of the shittest designed maps in Heir to the Throne. I will preface this with a general statement: Heir to the Throne is a good campaign. It is dragged the fuck down by a few things:

1: The first map is one of the worst maps in SRPG history.

2: The route splits are completely arbitrary and lead to massively different completely untelegraphed difficulty spikes or troughs.

3: In the final third of the campaign, the enemy will just fucking yeet tier 2 / tier 3 units at you en masse, so fuck you if you lost any of your highly promoted dudes ever I guess.

4: Your starting contingent is elves.

1. This ain't Shining Force levels of shitty move though.

2. Yep. I haven't seen what a certain map is like but it was apparently insane in earlier versions.

3. Oh yes, the final map is still fucking nuts.

4. I mean, I know I don't hate elves gameplay wise.

5:

RZsWV11O_o.png

Konrad is fucking awful to begin. Take an elven fighter, give him one fewer strike and one more damage, take away a chunk of his dodge and his HP, take away his bonus movement through forests, and make him lawful. Behold: Konrad. Note: if this sack of slow shit dies in the flight through an entirely forested area, you lose the map. Fuck you!

Base Konrad: anything but based.

Thank fuck he gets better, unlike Malin.

CPfq3w6s_o.png

Delfador, on the flip, is obscenely strong, and if you told me he wasn't inspired by Jagen I'd disbelieve you. He cannot promote from where he is, and he fucks off with all his experience in a few maps, to reappear much later. Kills on Delfador are essentially wasted, but holy fuck he does 14x4 at a fixed 70% Jesus Christ.

Delfadalf: he's like Gandalf didn't just help when shit really hit the fan.

Not that he won't be conveniently absent though.

We recruit a bunch of elves, and so do out allies, and Konrad sallies forth.

On his 6 movement.

Without forest bonuses.

*Internal AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Our boys do a great chip job for the mage. She secures the kill.

OL9wnqoJ_o.png

Fuckin' nice.

I'll be honest, I'm jealous you did this.

I spent half the bloody campaign trying to promote one of these.

Edited by Dayni

Laura is the best healer.

Urgh, this map. I tried beating it a whole bunch of times on the highest difficulty but I never even came close to prevailing. And the map probably used to be harder too. Back in the day your allied leaders were only lv2 and did not deploy any veteran units.

Anyway, Konrad also gets a line if he managed to actually kill someone on this map: "Die, villain, die!"
...I suppose the script could be better.

Speaking of angry Konrad, I really wish I could track down his old angry portrait. That one looked amazing.

Edit: Also, I took a peek into the scenario files and on hard mode the enemies will specifically target Delfador and Konrad.

Edited by BrightBow

On 3/24/2019 at 7:21 PM, Dayni said:

I'll be honest, I'm jealous you did this.

I spent half the bloody campaign trying to promote one of these.

reckon you should have tried getting good, op

Spoiler

h1N5Iyzv_o.png

jV21cXLs_o.png

I've made the executive decision to skip the fuck out on typing out Heir to the Throne's text dumps. I'm switching to a Parrhesian screenshot strategy.

jrPmA8uq_o.png

8LxsB24B_o.png

Sir Kaylan is a legend. Look at that fuckin' sprite. He's of the Rohirrim, transparently.

d62q3oqj_o.png

N2mU7zxn_o.png

LBhTlszY_o.png

HW5XSUmv_o.png

54UYJQtP_o.png

7CEUQuCa_o.png

U9gNJELy_o.png

QBWcsi9J_o.png

vSEpRjeQ_o.png

IsLxhG55_o.png

lidv3oOn_o.png

9LvTnYPC_o.png

oQTd5dHN_o.png

Hopefully you see why I gave up transcribing. Christ.

H9ZFfCyP_o.png

The map is pretty straightforward. Our twin priorities are getting a favorable front line set up and strangling Sir Kaylan's gold income so he stops making guys to take our kills. Nominally, the objective is to survive, but... well. It's me.

UoOWmKX9_o.png

Our recall list is anemic but will grow hugely with strong huge horsemen now.

7d7as02y_o.png

Anyway, as bestiary goes, Sir Kaylan is the top promoted knight. Just gaze on his glory.

JRgionQR_o.png

I pull the controversial double scout open, and send our loyal horseboi off. Money will flow fast and readily.

cO0PzG5h_o.png

Sir Kaylan can recruit promoted horsemen. We don't want him to.

4aitUsw4_o.png

Purple just makes guys.

M9lCMNU3_o.png

Horsemen, as has been established, are not to be fucked with.

(i don't take this move.)

rWEAlchW_o.png

Sir Kaylan immediately starts leeching XP.

MW6XiPDX_o.png

Anyway, the engagement went less than desired, and they're all arrayed against Sir Kaylan's dudes. We're gonna leave them to die, but it's a bit annoying.

CNKFNV47_o.png

stop succeeding

kUmOBLTb_o.png

Meanwhile, we get lightly attacked and get Laura promoted. I'm feeling cocky, so she goes the line that completely loses the ability to heal. Fuck it. She's a spooky witch.

zVYYI91p_o.png

I don't remember if I posted it last time, but behold anyway.

ith9wLTe_o.png

Anyway, Konrad is still a garbage idiot who dies on 50% terrain. What's new?

Aj39pLKs_o.png

fuck's sake

wwf9AZX1_o.png

fuck you

OIx84aOx_o.png

Meanwhile, we're starving Sir Kaylan.

V9KvWaEQ_o.png

sweats

Maybe leaving the treeline was a bad idea.

bxCrFVTU_o.png

Nah.

dfk62pzy_o.png

Damage mounts, but we shove them back hard and fast. And, hey! Promote Konrad!

ImDvrRH8_o.png

He's still kind of a shitty elf fighter, but at least he has leadership now!

loqLkP5Y_o.png

Looking good, except for Sir Kaylan's bastard child right up in there.

I3JPaJ9j_o.png

The nice thing is that with the promotion Konrad is threatening in full daylight, at least.

g13nKBCH_o.png

Okay, Orc Lord.

r77bpzxv_o.png

Seized!

COi38Fmp_o.png

Anyway, Sir Kaylan's bastard child keeps getting kills.

UM9VTLNa_o.png

We still lock it all down.

Wm9w0njE_o.png

Thanks, Delf!

XZBjzScS_o.png

2vth25t8_o.png

The boat moves, and makes boat noises. It's lit as fuck.

14p3LOQO_o.png

vjRCDMPG_o.png

rbdUA9m0_o.png

6 hours ago, Integrity said:

reckon you should have tried getting good, op

They've 5 move, can't damage worth a damm and are surprisingly capable of dying.

I'd rank the shamans pretty lowly among tier 1s.

Then again I was able to get other units raised faster because I could trust them to fight more than something that deals 4x2.

lidv3oOn_o.png

That name seems..... familiar.

On 3/5/2019 at 12:39 PM, Parrhesia said:

8dbfc8aaf5e9d60cd3e4a6cb66df85f8.jpg

I see, so he's Deoran's grandpappy.

Does he count as a game over then?

OIx84aOx_o.png

Meanwhile, we're starving Sir Kaylan.

Wow, way to be mean about it.

I mean his mooks are highrolling and actually surviving but still.

ImDvrRH8_o.png

He's still kind of a shitty elf fighter, but at least he has leadership now!

He has range!

Sure, not great range, but still.

Well, at least Konrad doesn't cost any upkeep. High level units with the Loyal trait are such a joy because upkeep actually increases with level. And recalling units costs the same regardless of the unit's level. So with just a few experienced loyal units you can really bring a lot of power to the field without it affecting to your income in any way.

Edited by BrightBow

DESCENT INTO FURTHER DESCENT 4

Spoiler

7597e9d953c3f4f33c91ec47a22df457.png
5928e4f6941c88399a0023e2334a729f.png
e0c6c85fdcedef27196bdc8699fe89a3.jpg
Imaginative.

8ab52618253e303928e44bac7271fc55.jpg
71f7150a2636925e5880aa45b4822478.jpg
Point in Descennt's favour: new portrait for Malin Keshar! I'm pretty sure, though can't verify, that this is down to campaign progress and not his last promotion. He's looking a little the worse for wear, kinda jowly, distinctly sallow. He has new robes that already look like shit.

0cb3d30c509e1169410b715a8ae34e20.png
31c50132dac3f06a2a8cd69b8fc4b52d.jpg
d412d365148806b18fbfe5b54f35978d.jpg
So. We have a northern path. If we want, we can twist south and kill blue, but it doesn't really seem like it gets us anything. If Malin Keshar books it for the northern signpost without stopping, it'll take 14 turns - we have a maximum of 36, so there's plenty of leeway.

2c4daeaf7fdfb1979adcf15cc0e80dfc.png
If Wesnoth has a character limit for its unit names, it's generous. Six and Cicero also get recalled, along with the Dassler brothers - Adi, Puma and New Balance. Wonder what we can recruit next turn-

63e910f984d822998737aeda06da3a3f.png
ah praise fucking be, christ and begorrah
We start hiring uhhhhh

b1fd54ee8a22601b66afea83c157c7f8.png
553d8aacbe6ff20041fe1f28fcde09aa.png
A bunch of skeletons.

73af092aa9917b04715aeb0add2c98f1.png
In the north I make a significant error of judgement.

fb2ce3b28197fe1896ae47d466ad7355.png
Wolf riders have a split promotion path. Probably one of the best ones that ends at tier 2 locked; pillagers offer amazing damage-type utility, along with nets. They're great.

205cf8930fe2f806c5c7d63a003208ed.png
I'm not sure whether or not we've been introduced to crossbowmen, but there's a couple of these guys backing up the pillager, too. They're orcish archers but with numbers. Also, orcish archers require hilariously little experience to level up. It's surprisingly easy to get a little crossbow squad going, even in multiplayer. As a result, they're pretty much one of the best units in the game. Poachers are similar, but a little inferior.

d22b95fab587cbea2d9469a4d97ea593.jpg
In the south, Six faces off against all of blue. I love him, but we'll have to pull back.

8edb64b079e09126abeacb3c329019b7.png
In the north, despite how terrible at fighting fire damage ghosts are, they survive. This guy lands both shots, but Puma just promotes and becomes another wraith. Still...

a337f9862da5d7b6fd269cdbc82a5a5d.png
Bar the two warlords, this is every orc on the map. I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to crush everyone in the centre, then move the ghosts south to deal with the warlord. Too ambitious? Yeah, maybe.

ccd033304f0079bbb3d6d1601fb9a8e5.png
Yet again, a crossbowman decides to promote one of my dudes he has no chance of killing. I feel like this didn't used to happen. What's nice and a new feature is that for the longest time, if you promoted on EP, your promotion would be randomised. Now you can pick! Doesn't matter for TGSTYNTWA, though, who only has the one. We covered necrophages before, very briefly, but here's some useful information - they, until relatively recently, didn't have a tier 3, and when they kill someone they gain a hit point.

e8fc46d9528bf880c96778783880777a.jpg
Yeah, good one, Malin.

372eec4d4b78dd2cced4f74e68ae992f.jpg
In the north, Cicero finds a village to plunder outside everyone's attack ranges. The more, the better - we're actually haemorrhaging money at the moment, thanks to upkeep.

b27f417b3319a486c1f696d6d0862dfb.png
Six dies and I'm sad about it. He was only a tier 1 and under most circumstances it's better either to summon a ghost or a fresh bat, but, damn it, he was my friend! Promoting unintelligent bats to dread bats is unlikely now that we have skeletons to do our fighting.

504bd47b8ddf5caf485402a960d82a67.png
So far, of the four campaigns portrayed so far, it's largely been a matter of law or neutral vs. chaos. Each side has its phase it wants to fight in, and its phase it wants to withdraw in. So this is our first experience of full-chaos vs. full-chaos, which sets up a different dynamic - one in which there's a defensive day, and a more proactive night. Johannes Magnus goes down.

66914a398e0feef2941e23d16e357a24.jpg
Cicero! What a good boy.

f5cbc0c91bd8cb917c65b3d0468f2f13.png
We advance, bloodily, through the centre. Another interesting factor about the undead is that unlike with meatbags, there's no desire to, say, want to try and feed kills to quick, intelligent guys, and use resilient guys as grist. Whoever promotes does so through opportunity.

462d8286bac62491c3b6d4edfd1e199f.jpg
A crossbowman event-dies randomly. Nobody says anything about it.

5cf40abeb97b175472141bd006dc0319.png
In the meantime, New Balance Dassler promoted to this. The description is... incredibly fake-deep. Anyway, Shadows are hidden during the night, skirmish - which is to say, ignore ZoC - and backstab, though they lose their scream and drain.

1b2f3e4bf777683d20c4575f03b5bec9.jpg
This line triggers when I put a skeleton on the cracked ice. Skeletons have submerge. If Thor Listau dies for this anyway, I swear to God...

0238a168f4d3b78fbbef14f8eeb02014.jpg
Are you fucking kidding me.

bbbebd64938b6f554e5a8bd0490b0e3b.png
Game. Fuck's sake. Also, I guess maybe it's percentage-based - Wallenda's alive, and so are my fucking ghosts, so.

Hey, I wonder if Malin can drown too?

48c546757969a75c330ac3fca4f05285.jpg
637eae845e4db0be36a04cdae2fb7d04.jpg
Yes. Out of curiosity, I wait a bunch of turns with ghosts on broken ice, and they don't drown.

294ac30956606ed49a9d3da77c84ec72.jpg
47dc8aad05c7beb25ea0a53f15fe0f4f.jpg
By the EP 14 mark, we're looking pretty good in the south. Hopefully the wraiths can clean up fast enough to run north. Meanwhile, uh, the walking corpse I made because I had nine gold left makes contact with the enemy commander but survives. Unscathed.

4590e967033b65992d74e9d79768ce59.png
This random skeleton isn't so lucky. I should probably have ZoC-blocked the crossbow, but I honestly lost track of him in the northern woods - up there from his chase in vain of Cicero.

d77b9bbe1d9b9a6a9faf7bfaffd2cf4d.png
Darken Volk promotes in the south. He's actually a 'variant' dark sorcerer, different only in that he can't promote to lich for plot purposes. I kind of want to say he's got a palette-swapped sprite, too - grey hair, black robe - but that might honestly be default. Honestly, I'm not sure why you'd ever go necromancer over lich. 17x2 loses out to 12x3, albeit narrowly, and I prefer more attacks to fewer anyway. And their melee attack is vastly worse (compare to 8x3 arcane drain), and they're even a movement point short. They get 10 health and more normal resistances - liches don't have physical resistances as good as skeletons, but still get the downsides - but it's just not worth it, for mine.

738ea996a05dd7062388681ee7e81568.jpg
Looks like the north is set to limp to victory, bolstered by a revenant and bone shooter.

6bc12a84a725e60fc3a42d75cd03ddcd.png
In the south... yeah, well, we're cherry-tapping him to death. In the end, Puma gets the kill.

29c561146a452431f3d732d50ae3a02a.png
As below, so above.

b2aa526b5e2579b44cd35012d41f2b04.jpg
b625d49cd5cc800d0e0544de42930384.png
No reward. No dialogue. Nooooo nothing.

c0ede4fc94d329b3241a72779c1f6775.png
For all that, this was a dominant performance and a very profitable result. Remember that one of the losses was a SKELETON who can SUBMERGE being drowned.

I was wondering if Skeletons would survive if the ice breaks. Well, at least they tried giving an explanation for why they don't.

And yeah, I can confirm the portraits are story-based. When I played the map the last time, Malin was actually still on level 1. Just checked out that save and it's the same portrait that you got.

And there is nothing random about the ice. You step on a tile once, it cracks. You step on it again, it breaks.

Also, there are some paths in the mountains that allow fliers and skeletons to move straight to the blue camp.

Edited by BrightBow

5 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

205cf8930fe2f806c5c7d63a003208ed.png
I'm not sure whether or not we've been introduced to crossbowmen, but there's a couple of these guys backing up the pillager, too. They're orcish archers but with numbers. Also, orcish archers require hilariously little experience to level up. It's surprisingly easy to get a little crossbow squad going, even in multiplayer. As a result, they're pretty much one of the best units in the game. Poachers are similar, but a little inferior.

Integrity did mention them. These things arguably shouldn't be as good as they are.

Orcs probably should use bows more. Crossbows I mean, their regular bows aren't half as frightening.

5 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

5cf40abeb97b175472141bd006dc0319.png
In the meantime, New Balance Dassler promoted to this. The description is... incredibly fake-deep. Anyway, Shadows are hidden during the night, skirmish - which is to say, ignore ZoC - and backstab, though they lose their scream and drain.

I forgot what these were.

To be fair, possible 16x3 damage (which is upped to 20x3 at night) is spooky in and of itself. They're essentially terrifying at night and a bit less of a threat in day time.

Edited by Dayni

Spoiler

DRj9Sj6m_o.png

We're sailing!

9yIMPzNF_o.png

The boat, again, moves and makes boat noises.

hnkcrhvU_o.png

1NJteajd_o.png

GjYEWdJ2_o.png

HuDRAnIc_o.png

Scary.

IDNKCMMo_o.png

ALT8rmBW_o.png

Ah, E2M3. This is a delightfully simple slugfest.

ofHLojZQ_o.png

We're just gonna drive south in two huge packs. Army Group Right is gonna be all the elves we got. Army Group Left is gonna be all our horses. Army Group Right is going to try hopping between covers and mow orcs down, Army Group Left is gonna fight a running battle against (hopefully) smaller forces.

kRdKCo0d_o.png

zOd3guyh_o.png

iooecQqN_o.png

EMv9Qe9e_o.png

Our first village yields a loyal mage and the ability to recruit them! They're unchanged from their appearance last time.

JeZC4Uq6_o.png

He recruits... poorly.

5JzgxExA_o.png

We recruit strongly, and disseminate mightily.

TA1TBLzp_o.png

Things are going roughly according to plan! Note that all villages on the map start off enemy-owned, so a quick burst of speed like this is really helpful in getting his economy in check.

V9EN1Lgj_o.png

A wolf rider, uh, runs the blockade. Sure, bud.

hj3VqIIQ_o.png

Anyway, his day is about to get a lot worse, and a minority of enemy forces have fallen into my offside trap on the left. I also already broke ranks on the east because I'm impatient and it's a good time of day for us to press the advantage.

uOOvuUyj_o.png

RNG could have been better, but nobody died on the enemy phase. The map is... pretty much won, now.

zMp7sPKI_o.png

An invincible horseman is a scary thing. I can toss this guy into anything that won't oneround him, and he'll fuck it up with no consequences.

eSoP7oTY_o.png

Left side's clear.

IGrlRgvx_o.png

Right side's... I don't want to fight them in the mountains/hills, but that's what I've bitten off, but I do have a lot of magic damage to punch through them. Win/lose/win?

yEsliHVc_o.png

jesus christ abort abort abort

MkMwTBg0_o.png

Under cover of leadership, our disloyal mage is pushing up to promotion.

ITSRnEaE_o.png

Funny enough as matchups go, goblins fuck horsemen up horribly.

IX1SYntr_o.png

Still, we create a pretty strong position. Dawn is soon.

I40Z66SZ_o.png

Odd attack patterns, but okay.

3xfXeHi9_o.png

Consolidation from there was trivial.

4TzcEZWx_o.png

Mood.

cqWW5mjG_o.png

you bastard

uFWx0xWn_o.png

what

b9gUlPHs_o.png

Feeding such an easy kill to a scout feels

wrong

aWT0eUsK_o.png

Just the boss now.

Lgqy2Tl6_o.png

Just the boss and this guy now.

KZE5c2FY_o.png

Just the boss and - OW

PPkDkrVe_o.png

Anyway, killing him replaces him with Seamus.

DYWnF5WX_o.png

vqwHhNkl_o.png

FB1RcAVC_o.png

qhavQqdl_o.png

bOgCfWlU_o.png

nVR3DmPL_o.png

8UfYtK8D_o.png

Next stop: the Bay of Pearls!

Edited by Integrity

DESCENT INTO ORCNESS 5

Spoiler

aa741eaa0c0f07e42d6c4921c97b549e.png
59e079c08c88ec100bc144ee5ddde8f7.png
748d13e763aea0b57a258ac78f32ff48.png
Whoever wrote this had only just read / seen the Hobbit, and mashed Arkenstone and Thorin together. Also, fuck yes! Dark adepts. With that, we have the entire undead roster.

030ed0472debf9f6d802ae39a3896de3.jpg
imaginative titles

Alright, Malin. You finally caught up to the orcs. Speak now or forever hold your peace.

a8bcf4649f21c8372ef369d9341e6aee.jpg
Okay, that's enough.

b51765f8921ff7321991960dc174bd8d.jpg
I stand with Borth.

8a81a6a5607cad1cfd9b4eeefcbd0a12.jpg
c7adf9936a86ff236c0cbb2766a737d1.jpg
Man, the orc names have been consistently terrible. I haven't been pointing and laughing - that's a mistake, I'm going to go back and look up the others. Last map we faced mighty Gron'r Hronk and K'rrlar Oban. Anyway, the guy who made the orc portraits didn't make a set grunt / warrior / warlord line - he just painted six orcs and left it to the Wesnoth devs to decide which would be which, and which were just flex campaign portraits. In the first version of Wesnoth I played, the grunt was actually P'Gareth here, and then upon promotion became an anime. I guess he was the first one done.

Anyway, thinking on my approach takes me... a good while. The issue is that orcish archers hard-counter the entire faction. Ghosts especially! And the terrain here isn't especially difficult... but I call them up anyway. They're still mobile as fuck, that's handy.

f69ad9ab5ca614dfec2294984839284b.png
Three opponents look intimidating, but they're basically tapped out after one wave of recruitment. Not even a full one, at that. This map is going to be a cakewalk. I decide to go northwest first - there's more villages there.

04d058d24492a13550bf106fe7fe16b9.jpg
I recruit three keeps and perhaps overcommit northwest. I'll need some people to hold this bridge - well, the villages, anyway - while my fast lads hit blue hard, before sweeping south themselves.

0af2004a91327d1e7c45891263394cf3.png
We bid farewell to a fan favourite, Cicero.

b3820aee5690676911764b1c2ed9b116.jpg
But Borth's honour guard is put to the sword. How're things looking in the south? Clarke and Wallenda get promotions, and 'So Fetch' Collins, a fresh dark mage, is well on the way.

1e0410afe80743df360091a2f334057a.jpg
In the south... less rosy. Yuri Gagarin gets this kill, then bites the dust. Again.

a5a417c37200470406eafabbe3d87c16.jpg
We have to pull back and wait for help - summoning two new Ghouls in the process. Yeah, I know, I said I hate ghouls - but this is... attritiony. Where they excel. I actually make skeletons at first, but have better thoughts. The handy thing about the undead is that you can undo undead recruits, because their traits are always the same - unlike meat recruits, where you could hypothetically keep training and undoing, say, elven archers, until you have only dextrous intelligent ones.

5024acc611ebc2c407dee485bfb6d6f8.png
Ttttthis guy is getting the shit kicked out of him, and will probably die, but his service deserved a namedrop.

8d7a44389d8f3c9d7ee384eae41bdfc0.jpg
In the southwest, the bats Cut and Thrust are keeping 'em busy. Worth the 26 gold? Probably, just for some respite.

940b30f91ef1f6357f760eef3a7d5791.jpg
Especially now. They wind up getting out of trouble and start gleefully capping villages.

3255fef57e354eca72eace9f327eb1b9.png
6f19e209c07450fb3487492dde221921.png
In the northwest, Borth heads for and enters the Bad Place.

d56edb59335bb23c22c0841d152b7dbf.jpg
In the east... inexplicably, everything turns out okay. Even for Ali down there, laughing at you, the viewer.

6aaa8b45456e029889fe34c3e11568a3.png
Exit the Borth. Collins promotes.

1ed63f0f33967d393136d6b98041a96b.jpg
Bats are still cool.

6bfd85068267a4356b87a4af15283748.jpg
Unfortunately, they're doing the same thing, only worse.

05ba5f4f639c531f6fa01fa47816538e.png
Clarke falls victim to my misplay. Which is really, really annoying, but what can you do? We have three promoted ghosts, three necromancers, three bone shooters... and just the one revenant, now.

84129724bc40f5a5d34cd41c40046b71.png
ecf56df638d9f302b96a3903bf86a937.png
That Guy is lucky not to follow the same fate after the crossbowman and he both bond in their love for not being hit for 60%s. The necrophage thanks him by eating him.

f4f64988bda86a6385bbd927b0d35ee8.jpg
Ali, who inexplicably survived me throwing him into the enemy teeth, is well on the way to replacing Clarke.

9d0b14832cd069c81bde59de712725fc.png
The fact that I wind up trying to bait a pillager with a necromancer says a lot about how much fire damage hard-counters the entire faction.

656e22911fb78a48c6f4fde5e222f3dc.png
You can actually get a little synopsis by putting your cursor over a particular attack. Keep in mind that fire damage may as well be very effective against ghosts, since it's barely resisted at all and ghosts rely entirely on resistances for durability.

87733564001430f96e2927ba3e207264.png
The necrophage eats him because nobody else will. I'm 40 experience - five levels of killing, or more realistically four plus attrition - away from the tier 3.

I don't want a tier 3. I got one in multiplayer once. It sucked.

66987cf086ca96910b4a07041da41b0f.jpg
They finally brought down Thrust, but Cut lives on.

b5c8b78333d50fc1cbfaba3113ef08a0.jpg
Our approach to green is aborted by another fucking pillager showing up.

b5889528d2adb4c90e35e8bbcb35b43e.png
Er. Well. F for Cut.

4d3677aea2233bf88a23b36da7e52bfb.png
The warlord can't resist this adept.

6f0cc858349a1407c006ee37001232cf.png
Ali gets his kill! What a legend. He promotes, and-

Pretend there's a screenshot here where the green warlord just yeets west, without fanfare. Come the fuck on!

5a639016bcd4bc621888c6e1bc4cd20d.jpg
9b08e860e363188fc159a3664dd880ae.jpg
Oh, I hope to God Malin chases after this one fucking orc and then gets stomped into the ground and dies and becomes a lich.

90c80df56d0c618be3a3e45c17ef1edc.jpg
2eae28fbfff56d745a1efdbc7b3c7f35.jpg
... tasks...

7caa94de05b4f421e218dc9e711aa6a7.png
b27cfbc78a661b19ec23b68a6c14090b.png
A rough start. With another go at it, I'd probably aim to split my forces evenly, trusting in a superior northwest force to edge out blue and south to edge out purple. Which is basically what ended up happening, anyway, just with less dithering. The losses were painful, but it's hard to avoid with so much fire around. And while one promoted unit is dead, he only promoted this map, anyway, and Ali's a ready-made replacement. Two more bone shooters and our first dark sorcerer also join the crew, and we have a few guys coming perilously close to tier 3.

NEXT TIME
1290f8b1d7531e65c7fc4c30ea2868cb.png
you had one fucking job

Darken Volk hasn't actually been using that many... ellipses... since his first map, huh? Well, glad he brought this... quirk... of his back one final time before he left.

Edited by BrightBow

1 hour ago, Parrhesia said:

a8bcf4649f21c8372ef369d9341e6aee.jpg
Okay, that's enough.

Orcs:

Malin Keshar: Goes off on a rant about how terrile they are.

We have to pull back and wait for help - summoning two new Ghouls in the process. Yeah, I know, I said I hate ghouls - but this is... attritiony. Where they excel. I actually make skeletons at first, but have better thoughts. The handy thing about the undead is that you can undo undead recruits, because their traits are always the same - unlike meat recruits, where you could hypothetically keep training and undoing, say, elven archers, until you have only dextrous intelligent ones.

Yeah, the ability to undo recruits because they have no traits is nice for misclicks or changing minds.

d56edb59335bb23c22c0841d152b7dbf.jpg
In the east... inexplicably, everything turns out okay. Even for Ali down there, laughing at you, the viewer.

I'm not even mad.

1290f8b1d7531e65c7fc4c30ea2868cb.png
you had one fucking job

I assume he had to stop to rant.

Malin Keshar: Since the very founding of Wesnoth you have hounded humans at every turn. You have raided my home at every opportunity. You have trampled our fields, slaughtered our livestock. You have brought war to a place of peace, and death to a place of life. You have killed without remorse, and despoiled that which was once beautiful. You have murdered my father and caused endless trouble to me. Now I shall have my revenge on you. Expect no mercy from me, because you have long since lost the right to it. I will crush you into the dust. The attacks on Parthyn will stop here and now. When I bring word of your demise the town will cheer my triumphant return.

Darken Volk: Malin, your passion will be your key to great power but PRACTICE YOUR SPEECHES WHEN FOLKS AREN'T TRYING TO SLEEP!!!

DESCENT AND DESCENSIBILITY 6

Spoiler

4a3f6ef6b8c41b34aece0fbbc4315b7a.png
0354a3fa00c5f4b9608051b1c20c05ba.jpg
19b228d94f159103c2154c60804f381d.jpg
heyyy guuuuysss we're baaaack

53d72bc760475900b4fd4e0eccf21660.jpg
Hey, look who got a promotion! And, hey, better still - look at his three homies. Ring any bells?

6a9984819cd3236f40b23a3954245d12.jpg
260f12778ca6a0680818bdef855d781d.png
t o l d

I wonder if it's set to be a ghost or dark adept, or if it's just whoever. It'd be a slightly weird line coming from, like, a ghoul.

11c89536d42289ae06ba1d075052ff17.jpg
"So, spring break, right?"

399f4373d14c799b7f9f68e98d7a5372.jpg
GASP
Also, NEW POKEMON

30727b2f09dc3c15eff9c2653603bae3.jpg
68e3ef95d7921217550a24c11d630627.jpgI mean. It's fucking obviously not that, either.

2096afe96e5ff6fb2eafaa633b996896.jpg
118bc1b76b32fdf9803a82be8902fb82.jpg
Sure thing, jowlsy, let's-

d29de92a1136d5e6cfc77f85fc76e056.png
I'm sorry, my fail condition is what, now.

6a66d9a100c8c726853e5457ad56b457.png
Does that include his homies, or... ? Oh, and the game punked out. They're very obviously meant to be the two spearmen and bowman who joined us at first, but they don't have the names or the EXP or the same traits, they're just 'River fort guard'. The torch, by the way, doesn't have the same radiance as, say, the end of the South Guard did.

e4a56966df87894198d758110b783120.png
Here's P'Gareth (yeah, I know), same guy who ran last map. Does it track his name, too, or just assume you killed the other two first?

9311ead17524d07d140bf3c6c49305cf.png
This is a really terrible class name in this context. A) a Frontier Baroness is a Margravine, which is a much fucking cooler word. B) she is not a Margravine, she is some peasant with some standing in the community. Anyway, she's a reskin of the deuteragonist of a later campaign, the Rise of Wesnoth (or, something).

38ff85d2341eeb7c7c48ff8302c9f213.png
Anyway, let's try this on for size-

abe7f90c83dfa042791d701db4fd7449.jpg
are you for fucking serious

b31e030e1d6a6c4d6a0fb3f3e835b8b6.png
This is better, until you consider;

b700a4847e5cfa5f42f6d47508006b23.jpg
ZONE OF CONTROL IS A MECHANIC.

58b196ac09aba79761cd0e11263ab208.png
I have a better idea.

d138fa21af3d005e76e32785ebe21af1.jpg
Until this.

803f436264903c51671690cdf5b8c72f.png
I really hope that if the orcs kill one of the humans it's a failure, but I test it and it's not. Maybe the idea is to sit tight until green and blue kill each other.

bf6aaf10b10b22c55ef5b4e643bb9c1b.jpg
Anyway, turn 5 and finally it falls into place for Malin to annihilate Drogan.

dfc2a5b718ab42eb971c968967cf6e58.jpg
8737241a89c43a8fd56de170660f10d5.png
"... Drogan?"

32ff2534771e02442de98208b35bd827.jpg
bf59360b198cc9ce02f526b0a27633e1.jpg
Nobody saw that coming!! On the bright side, the sister has a cool squad loadout.

c3a31ba5da1543a749f4f4519620be1d.png
Oh this mission is such fucking garbage. Totally shift mission objectives to something that we aren't built around. I guess you could say it was forecast by the map being really short and unsatisfying otherwise, or by the boss kill, but honestly? Nah. You've already committed to at least your turn 1 by the time it becomes clear you've got to kill the orc leader. Also, why no early finish bonus? We're haemorrhaging cash right now, and I don't know if we have enough to win because my force composition is based on facetanking guys we can't fight back against.

e07f895edfe647cc1beae80ae158f705.jpg
Now that we're allowed to fight, however, we annihilate everyone. Unfortunately, bone shooter Konstanty dies. There is no justice.

5aedd4d478968930ec567fd1b027b4ec.jpg
Our awful march goes north. I recruit a skeleton, Victims of the Tenerife airport disaster, to throw at purple and cover our tracks.

426710c651d8e3e232c02f4d43ee38c0.png
I'm having flashbacks to certain other disastrous column river crossings.

661da2173f3cbfec17546d8ec8c3f4cc.png
This orc is an absolute mensch. However, superior human forces have caught up to us.

It's day next phase.

ad647e26d090a24081148eeeada29cbb.jpg
We slip, hopefully, away.

905110623fb7f864c2a00bce842c4072.jpg
Buying three Victims of the Tenerife airport disaster for the price of one was a great move. He doesn't go down easy.

f3ca88f517b8171995e553a3e5908cb3.jpg
We wind up losing That Guy to this specific formation, but pretend it's this but a bit better.

326ac9fcec616ade7037e6bb7522875c.jpg
e350d6858c3147a46f16a1899af616a3.jpg
c32d18d831a8f7658abb18db6731cf61.png
29b353ef02d94b8bcdf62f43e4adfa36.png
Oh my God you are such a fucking incel.

64ecb78ba39eb7de09176d91e8317297.png
The map actually ends here even though killing the boss is a 'bonus objective', so I go back and wipe off a couple humans. It's the least the game owes me for this garbage map.

ede38c512f1f3f52097812c423b76373.png
If I had to do it again, I'd blow all my money standing in the keep on fresh tier 1s. We lost a lot of recruits just to the massive upkeep between turns 1 and 5. Then again, we came out relatively unscathed, losing the Victims, five dark adepts (lol) and a bone shooter, though our boy was most of the way towards promotion.

Well, there is no early finish bonus because there is no turn limit for this one. I do like how that enables you to do dumb strategies like fighting back against Dela and her 25 base income. 

The Orc leader is always going to be the one that escaped in the previous scenario. There is even a failsafe leader defined named "Borth" in case the leader that the game tries to use doesn't exist for whatever reason.

The advisor is probably always going to be from the Ghost line. I can't 100% confirm that. But I know that in the version of this exchange that occurs if Malin didn't summon any zombies in the first map, he refers to his advisor as a "spirit".

Also man, Malin sure took some time to actually acknowledge his sister. Still can't be bothered to actually talk to her, though. I like how Dela is not chaotic like an outlaw but also not lawful like the loyalists but instead neutral like Malin used to be. Guess that shit is genetic.

Edit: Also, Dela is not a peasant. The Intro described Malin as "the second child and eldest son of the baron of the city".
Come to think of it, kinda weird that they phrased this in a way that heavily suggests that Malin has a younger brother somewhere when such a character is never even mentioned in the campaign.

Edited by BrightBow

7 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

e350d6858c3147a46f16a1899af616a3.jpg

She looks like her hands are clamps.

Her having prosthetics would be strange but yet I could see them being a thing in Wesnoth.

7 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

c32d18d831a8f7658abb18db6731cf61.png
29b353ef02d94b8bcdf62f43e4adfa36.png
Oh my God you are such a fucking incel.

I mean, they weren't wrong, Malin's a bitch to have only outburst with boils if he was going to be this tempermental.

I mean, he should have thought that maybe he could have handled it better, even if Parthyn's a small town he could have found ways to improve his magic that weren't all about corpses. Malin's not a good protagonist is what I'm saying.

He also used more words to complain about being cast out than he did for his sister he hadn't seen for years. Must have always fallen out with her.