Parrhesia

DEAD WATER 7: Inky's Day Out

Spoiler

6dfe1a8b88dbc331abc5aa0fb7f05b55.png
ee46492793e2b4215885a5b4c25ea097.jpg
We have a cuttlefish.

c7b16984f4a91d25786938b8cf83c3b0.jpg
bd56e464a860b00d8eec7961aded8793.jpg
Hey, more drakes. This campaign really is a love letter to underappreciated units. Also, fuck, another really pretty map.

00debc3e2ba7d152800c9d2b90b5cf17.png
ca6137a90f94027454bd2322cdf37a1e.png
bb5d5657d1e76a72b6afeaca4bbe1c18.png
Witch...

f8b6ee28f2393cdcb9e25c11aedb86ee.jpg
"Uhh okay well we're actually the kill-team sent to stop her sooo"

d84b46449a977a5c9ac870d94c6656cc.jpg
611a935f089f107166109b7ad9ab32ab.jpg
Diplomacy has failed!

f0177c3ecdc57d17ff6d8955f1917cda.png
oh shit are you pulling a shiharam on me

2375f0fec8bca67ec7806fd3d3fbac8e.jpg
YEAH THE BOYS also look at the ... veins? on his wings, the art in this game is often Really Good

86c48a06b53e324135eaced31900358b.png
81f7290c1a6fded7aa4932fb33106e53.png51c952eac5a0ea703dd06d90b1592d35.png
Alright, pretty straightforward. First priority is to promote Inky, second priority is to beat the map.

0e61f25b790802f8ccb1ac1bcae74e58.png
Flamehearts are the tier 3 leadership burners, and I appreciate how their flavour text calls them out as weaklings. I like the little... katar scabbard. In fact, I like Wesnoth's taking inspiration from Indian arms and armour generally.

a6b708cbb5aa6f894836dc7c0a9cfe3f.png
Remember; drakes are good against impact, basically immune to fire, and vulnerable to piercing, arcane and especially cold (which we don't have). Remember also, we need new netcasters. Getting them to tier 3 at this stage is unlikely; we're running out of maps (there's 10 in the campaign, we're on 7) and also entanglers are a bit terrible, actually? Merman promotions are just so uneven in general. Initiates and enchantresses are pretty bad, but promote to sirens, who are good. Hunters are pretty terrible, netcasters are great, entanglers are... pretty terrible. But this is all in a vaccuum. You need them all.

633ac215a5fb42810dcec92d3693b37d.jpg
They have their own inferno drake, but we also see a couple of new pokemon.

f9c44cf1bbac97dc16c8d375c097ecc1.png
Gliders are genuinely abysmal fighters who glide at a steady 40% on almost all terrain. But it turns out being a fast flying scout is, uh, really good.

c2f91dd190eb88afa28d253fac4f283b.png
Flares are flamehearts but less. Even so, despite being tier 2 leadership units, their damage is basically on par with entanglers.

dd99dae003d92d64008c52bf087ddcb4.png
This is what Teeloa is reduced to. Specifically, ash.

45fa9541840b987e3447d85a1cebbff7.png
Inferno drake mirror matches are kind of fucking hilarious, honestly.

4be567d8670a0e776c7954890793ca06.png
A first kill for Inky!

cabb4d22dba784e2b2dcd72d6e27aa72.png
I need to be more careful with my diviner placement. She's empowering the guys murdering her to death.

cab3716f483d53acb5ae137b1ef2aafb.png
I hurl two hunters to their likely doom to cover for Teeloa's useless fishy arse.

9190d4134f3cb59d8532fd5b80d0cb94.png
An enforcer leads the way against me. A fearsome prospect.

ab3a351dd5c4ac1a9607439d74df5c8d.png
And not killing this turn is... kind of a disaster, really!

2e8babd40e72ba9b27b66202f3ea7bf8.png
This guy dying hurts. I threw good units after bad. And, hey, you know an entangler would be really useful here, for all I've been talking shit. Except I sent Gwabbo, for God knows what reason, off to a village in the far southeast.

The temptation is there to reload, but if you reload over a tier 2 dying to a blatant misplay, you'll reload to anything. And that'll make you make more reckless actions, misplaying more, reloading more, until suddenly it isn't fun anymore and you don't know where you went astray, and that's why I stopped playing emulated FE and Wesnoth for about three years to detox bad habits.

a84d3c224ff9667f9261f7e76441106d.png
That said: the situation is very salvageable, so we set about salvaging it.

1c3d4f86cc9f539b1ff09af5448322d6.png
Oh, and here's the tier 2 halberd line for the clasher.

d654d0bec5d66e265e4469346530a878.png
ecc794a483b85abbb58e93d7d76db86c.png
For once, I don't end a turn early. I want to harvest this experience, at least for another turn, and they really can't hurt us.

21d45d23853de8bc4567c5cbf3dae6e9.png
I set up the hunter here for a kill.

72133266a75d63f77be72843f02b5c01.png
and then totally beef the screenshot of the boss kill

832272cbdb2cfef57b9544c09d9db5c3.png
Now that... was very much a filler map, and bluntly, not one I played particularly well. But it's fine.

This is kind of a skinny update. Let's fatten it up with some... actually reaching our objective.

cdafd2dbb8fda962806bfb5d6b7a6968.png
c6c22403a354cd6b678c492f2c45ecb6.jpg
Ahh, a flag and not a sword.

9ada6f4179f811b4023448fbea0345ab.jpg
d3da387ad04573a2c41b21792e1bcc09.jpg
Okay. Art is hard. Art of this quality is hard. Getting artists of this quality to submit art for free is, for good reason, hard. But I do feel like maybe Tyegea deserves a non-generic portrait.

Ah well. Small gripes.

10b2f33b6134973c75f700f897714d34.png
eb6834f959fb150f8ad243707218df30.png
4cebfd1dc94ae263685210a684e09eb2.jpg
Well, there's your answer.

55726969938f1b70c38fc0033d215e36.jpg
f6f8e0ea167a696ae5d0e384e87b5505.jpg
I like how he phrases it. Like it's a roach infestation, or a rogue au pair or something.

019d0ab4dd26a6c5508feb5123db1da6.png
"... 3 upkeep a turn?"

d9f94fca5e99f1435f75795732fc9106.png
1d77debdaf66af234d7dd37a110ccf51.png
eyes emoji

1783eedf094b68c09fffe3500600b7e1.png
7e18ed12e3620c35a14a2fb98c0833f7.jpg
I was always more into Pokemon Do, to be honest.

1a7470d446e5941595bc4ca3ef2adf02.jpg
406253522a90be214f1f48c836cf2ba6.png
TUNE IN NEXT TIME FOR ... THE REVEAL

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey why not give you folks a double

Spoiler

ySbMF7ZM_o.png

It's time for the DWARVEN DOORS.

PlUXuQdP_o.png

This map isn't super remarkable, but it does have some fun in it and it signals that we're close to having much cooler units.

lAH6VTdX_o.png

BCqTrleD_o.png

HvfFWjIi_o.png

rW73zoUg_o.png

cJLIgoBi_o.png

wM0yJsVf_o.png

xM1JpX9V_o.png

This doesn't have be Haldiel, it can be any horse guy, human or elf. It does foreshadow something, though.

Ot5GANQD_o.png

hzDxMIYP_o.png

wPTeZgNw_o.png

This, also, doesn't have to be Adams - this text only appears if you took the crime path way back when and you still have a living outlaw-branch guy. The uncle is hiding here.

gr7iWam7_o.png

This is, ostensibly, a seize map. Am I gonna prioritize that? Nah.

Xj3JoOfg_o.png

So this is a tall map, one screen wide. It's the first one to have a midway recruitment point in the Pillars of Thunedain, even if it's only two recruitment spots. There are three orcs - a tier 2 fighter to the southwest, a slurbow to the middle east, and a sovereign to the northwest unpictured so far.

ixd5BIWv_o.png

The far north is where everything is going on. In the west, the final orc who you're not really supposed to engage. In the middle, The Great Doors. In the east, this shitty tiny mine entrance tile. Now, one would think that the objective is to bring Konrad to The Great Doors, but one would be a wrong bitch idiot loser. When the map is loaded, one of The Great Doors and the shitty tiny mine entrance is flagged as the real exit to the level, and the other just has a little exposition cutscene about how the dwarves sealed it during the siege. How do you know which is which?

'New' Brunswick Adams' uncle tells you.

Find him, he tells you the real exit. Otherwise, you just gotta guess - and Konrad isn't fast. It's a really neat idea for the map, even though it's kind of dumb that it relies on taking the crime path of the route split like six maps ago, but it's also kind of neat that taking the hard route smooths something out later down the line. I'm conflicted about it, honestly, but I think I come down on the side that it's cool.

x9bAJSYB_o.png

vNgDzJ7H_o.png

Quick conversation when people grab your first village.

eKVdnLhf_o.png

I recruit two rounds of infantry, one round of horses, then crack a daring plan.

I'm gonna take the Pillars. And wipe the map.

WPPRj5wX_o.png

Now, I cracked this plan late one night after some drinking, and set about finishing the chapter to the previous screenshot. I decided to enact the strategy anyway and ran into non-trivial regrets. I misjudged how far the Pillars are from the start, and how far south the green leader is. Fair chance I'm dogged, we'll see.

dm4eWg3f_o.png

Due reminder how silly horsemen are.

SsVOkLMy_o.png

I don't know if this is a Haldiel line or just plays on your first kill.

I never really tuned into how the paladin horse stares at You, and now you're thinking about it too.

fa3MdwUa_o.png

Still, we manage to set up a good front, including baiting a guy into our camouflaged Fugitive friend. We're absolutely letting the enemy get behind us in order to let Konrad get foward to get more guys at this point.

FdSjbkvu_o.png

Due reminder how silly daylight Paladins are. We're not doing it, I just wanted to show off the number.

k0tzi0wD_o.png

The south gets secured at least by a few horsemen and Meatshield, noble Meatshield. The east is anchored.

jBHYZTIf_o.png

Taking the house up by the Pillars gives another event!

3hQtOEOx_o.png

Kinda weird to refer to your nephew so formally but, hey.

jtpJqAEi_o.png

qYYWnNtq_o.png

And Uncle Somf tells us the main entrance is the true entrance. Thanks!

wzGdnbbI_o.png

He's just a loyal, quick tier 2 thug. Still! Replaces that guy we lost a while back heroically killing liches.

5TZxu3n5_o.png

And, funny enough, Gary Grigsby's Wars in the East and West go so well that Haldiel gets to make the move I said he wasn't.

xbXNx8Av_o.png

Begone, thot.

cZU2xqmR_o.png

6sgW8qmv_o.png

A fresh recruited elf horseman dies winning the economy, and also distracting six tiers of enemy away from the frontline. Rest in peace, Tails.

cKpNkn96_o.png

The whole Specter squad is promoted now. Guess I need to recruit a Specter Three.

WqXVB3KZ_o.png

West is a little understaffed, the rearguard is engaged, and Konrad just got punched in the face by a troll, but honestly? For being surrounded on four sides, this is fine.

kwfviGtq_o.png

QDnznFCS_o.png

Grand knights are hilarious, haven't I said? I have two of them now.

oV3UkUIQ_o.png

That turn honestly becomes a rout. All four fronts crumbled. I get some wizards to go kill the east guy, and then remember he's a ranged enemy.

iCg29Jz5_o.png

Haldiel runs into a bit of bother. The better part of discretion, right? Anyway, now we have three problems.

qjkINFr2_o.png

The east is staffed, but there's a lot of snow in the way, and still bodies to clear.

wbvRiGvK_o.png

The north is far off, but I have several horses ready to go for it.

xlDu1gK9_o.png

The west is understaffed, and it's dark. We need the boss gank now, and Delfador cannot participate any more.

fdYGKcaj_o.png

Unrelated, here's an event from Lord of the Rings.

AoEwmVL6_o.png

lnjrNL4F_o.png

It spawns a cuttlefish. That's it.

3wMMggtb_o.png

mRPKctUw_o.png

Anyway, Kalenz contributes more than enough. Cross your fingers.

euIUmQJq_o.png

ghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ZwUeH2kp_o.png

cyka blyat

sSoqPomn_o.png

Funny enough, I end up triggering the event I showed off anyway.

1ALJqBCg_o.png

Did I mention Sharpshooters are insane? I'm not taking the trade, we're waiting for support and dawn, but.

YSeO3ioc_o.png

Specter Two tanks the night.

6bB8UJ09_o.png

Konrad gets punched in the face by a troll.

lwwlRilf_o.png

Comrade Cuttlefish helps out. Konrad gets punched in the face by two trolls.

QGBGPBFS_o.png

Specter One tanks another night successfully.

x5yMLQMq_o.png

I have three Sharpshooters now. Everything is a target.

7Qm0HThd_o.png

The east is looking good so far.

M1Z8IVgF_o.png

A couple lances clear out the north.

MOoTdm9u_o.png

In the, uh, alt-north, it turns out there's a conversation if you park the crime next to his uncle!

9ZTNaxLX_o.png

0oYhfnXO_o.png

Heh. That was good, unlike the sea orc.

m9Y8yZPx_o.png

Specter Two continues to barely hold out. Kalenz is absolutely fucking up bailing him out.

bektwUYr_o.png

Haldiel is finally relieved up northwest.

8fyp54I8_o.png

Comrade Cuttlefish cleans up a troll. Damn you!

hjmkOX3f_o.png

Anyway, that's the night montage. Time to blow this joint.

uxWaXR3b_o.png

Easy.

C1F1JSQ4_o.png

Uncle Somf runs interference.

r6hMQ5UU_o.png

He, uh, hits all four.

Y3r37xyJ_o.png

Specter Squad is ready to run a train down northwest onto the third boss, and the northeast is held down by the Adams family.

I swear to God that I didn't intend that pun when I named Brunsey back in the Moremirmu map.

v7OWQZx2_o.png

'attack sharpshooter on woods at range from snow' said now-dead crossboworc

WYD27rEn_o.png

Specter One will open the northern front now that it's full day. Downside to going Lancer is the three lances aren't individually as powerful as the Grand Knight's fully promoted two, but that's still ninety-six damage potentially.

CkcnfvGT_o.png

Bye!

R1C6Ptj2_o.png

Meanwhile, far away, Kalenz finally bails Specter Two out.

McczR8CX_o.png

Meanwhile, further away, Meatshield might die.

oh no he'll just run away from the tro

MW1OWd78_o.png

ll.

Fuck. He's quick. They match movement.

B3adcBpw_o.png

I pray, and Meatshield lives.

yF76uVHE_o.png

The Lancer eats the boss and this lackey, priming everything for the boss's imminent death.

JNeZWVWf_o.png

The Adams family crush this grunt.

LaqYJSQc_o.png

Two sharpshooters in woods handle the goons, but the ambush is ready to spring, with six total tiers of wizard ready to explode on the boss.

YGlwg1hI_o.png

Ready to explode in broad daylight.

47yxkzbn_o.png

Fuck's sake, you loser nerds.

iPHVviKI_o.png

MFGgr9k9_o.png

Despite my failure of an action shot, a real elf handles this. Two down.

Pzcq5CLM_o.png

One to go.

E9IeyIgs_o.png

Crikey.

jxkpj5kA_o.png

Well, he's teed up for impalement.

rsYfH948_o.png

Later, nerd.

xat7bab7_o.png

mr spectral i dont feel so good

cqVy1Ns0_o.png

Hell yeah! Early finish and total wipe of all enemies!

xpEm4nZt_o.png

oiBm9yjE_o.png

Oh. Well, Konrad must get to the place anyway I guess. I figured that we'd get an early win and Meatshield existing chance of death would be nullified.

57nTDyMi_o.png

Fuck it, I'm savescumming for this guy. One of the last three enemies on the map has a ~50% chance to kill Meatshield, and that sucks.

jKdyMDBy_o.png

Godspeed.

6cNUloLj_o.png

aaaaaaaaaaaa he lived

Time for a full wipe.

0R3yOJKT_o.png

Bye.

AQLXpCaf_o.png

Faded.

ZHO0Obpl_o.png

Just you and Meatshield, friend.

hg0Mv472_o.png

Didn't even have to load. No enemies left. Time to f

g2C4PXwk_o.png

FTBB3lo3_o.png

Time to finish this.

k110TdZf_o.png

You think Uncle Somf Adams is a liar?

Wby4ycS6_o.png

cL5o5Mup_o.png

what orcs hahahahaha

nAI9pkO1_o.png

FC3zxQIT_o.png

Vm4i7R0J_o.png

Oh. Hi there.

ZffCmG6z_o.png

And the map ends. Pretty good map! I enjoyed it a lot! We're gonna totally switch gears next time.

But you don't actually have to guess with the door. As was stated at the beginning, you can have a scout check on the door in advance. The game even spawns a veteran cavalry (in this case Haldiel, but if he was dead it would be someone else) so you can send them out right at turn 1. That scout should be able to reach the door before Konrad has to choose a direction.

Though the game should probably give a lower priority to Grand Knights for the turn 1 spawn, given their movement deficit. Guess that's another reason for why Haldiel should go Paladin.

19 hours ago, BrightBow said:

But you don't actually have to guess with the door. As was stated at the beginning, you can have a scout check on the door in advance. The game even spawns a veteran cavalry (in this case Haldiel, but if he was dead it would be someone else) so you can send them out right at turn 1. That scout should be able to reach the door before Konrad has to choose a direction.

let's pretend this never happened

22 hours ago, Integrity said:

hzDxMIYP_o.png

wPTeZgNw_o.png

This, also, doesn't have to be Adams - this text only appears if you took the crime path way back when and you still have a living outlaw-branch guy. The uncle is hiding here.

That, that sounds like a shame.

The more I see, the more I wish I had gone crime route.

ixd5BIWv_o.png

The far north is where everything is going on. In the west, the final orc who you're not really supposed to engage. In the middle, The Great Doors. In the east, this shitty tiny mine entrance tile. Now, one would think that the objective is to bring Konrad to The Great Doors, but one would be a wrong bitch idiot loser. When the map is loaded, one of The Great Doors and the shitty tiny mine entrance is flagged as the real exit to the level, and the other just has a little exposition cutscene about how the dwarves sealed it during the siege. How do you know which is which?

'New' Brunswick Adams' uncle tells you.

Find him, he tells you the real exit. Otherwise, you just gotta guess - and Konrad isn't fast. It's a really neat idea for the map, even though it's kind of dumb that it relies on taking the crime path of the route split like six maps ago, but it's also kind of neat that taking the hard route smooths something out later down the line. I'm conflicted about it, honestly, but I think I come down on the side that it's cool.

I wondered what the other exit was for when I first played.

Now I know the gimmick. I guess I'm going crime route if I play again.

eKVdnLhf_o.png

I recruit two rounds of infantry, one round of horses, then crack a daring plan.

I'm gonna take the Pillars. And wipe the map.

You are a braver soul than I.

I chickened and charged for it.

WPPRj5wX_o.png

Now, I cracked this plan late one night after some drinking, and set about finishing the chapter to the previous screenshot. I decided to enact the strategy anyway and ran into non-trivial regrets. I misjudged how far the Pillars are from the start, and how far south the green leader is. Fair chance I'm dogged, we'll see.

So many things could go to the dogs.

SsVOkLMy_o.png

I don't know if this is a Haldiel line or just plays on your first kill.

I never really tuned into how the paladin horse stares at You, and now you're thinking about it too.

I would assume it's to whichever unit takes his place.

I had Haldiel, so no answer.

Besides, Haldiel's horse knows you're there.

He's judging you on your quality as a leader of soldiers.

3hQtOEOx_o.png

Kinda weird to refer to your nephew so formally but, hey.

"That's my 'New' Brunswick!"

fdYGKcaj_o.png

Unrelated, here's an event from Lord of the Rings.

AoEwmVL6_o.png

lnjrNL4F_o.png

It spawns a cuttlefish. That's it.

This even't pretty funny if you get the trolls to fight the cuttlefish.

(Also, the Great Knight looks like he's staring at us and is annoyed at us.)

9ZTNaxLX_o.png

0oYhfnXO_o.png

Heh. That was good, unlike the sea orc.

'N'BA: "I mean, I got dragged into an army acting as a force for good. Of course it's bad."

8fyp54I8_o.png

Comrade Cuttlefish cleans up a troll. Damn you!

The troll forgot the golden rule.

Don't fuckle with the cuttle.

57nTDyMi_o.png

Fuck it, I'm savescumming for this guy. One of the last three enemies on the map has a ~50% chance to kill Meatshield, and that sucks.

An understandable cause.

6cNUloLj_o.png

aaaaaaaaaaaa he lived

Time for a full wipe.

Meatshled: The best thing to not live up to his name.

Edited by Dayni

DEAD WATER 8: Swamp forest... swamp forest town lake other swamp mountain swamp--

Spoiler

8ebe0364ed685f207bd8ba9baba13a9a.png
, well, thanks, Ranulf. That was kinda anticlimactic.

f1c15b5de7651add3dd7f643036b7996.png
92622cb97f115c3bcc40d6a0ab843d67.png
a78bcf79ff1702fec1f1b6b48e70a02f.png
Yep, mer-sex scandal.

4af97e0efc75062ebb3a984ac806d052.jpg
Well, that's. Presumptuous.

f2acc35d7c81a491fd4a0efbdad6e953.jpg
"But Nana... ! I'm tier 3!"

6d757059bd4b693fb8fe5a54f4e28b89.png
e53adc04224b16ce92a79725220c4d62.png
Fair point. Let's hear it.

4859a7fa37c9cc11c055a0c281f31f0b.png
... ... . . . mood?

656300ef48b2dd8b6f175f5af5c5354f.png
7aea87ac2d16a36f92b642bb5d46a953.png
Gotta speculich to accumulich.

49c2625d97c3b89a87b40ddb69d1352f.png
uhm

yeah kinda

2101bc22d7ecc9d98378a75b19d66801.jpg
f9f45819dbc34ddc21eb4d86305d6cc1.png
100b0c7fb81a918d1732e88e2e2f3fc4.png
Well, this is obvious.

5ceb72c485b246b25e7a036b2f2e0ee0.jpg
... ... ... ... ... ... ...
i didn't expect it to actually let me

This isn't an especially good idea. It's not a BAD idea, in isolation, but recalling a triton to have another unit to crush skeletons is a way better idea. But then again, like... the meme value here is through the fucking roof, so consider that. Metrics, my friend. Metrics.

9f91b791fd02b7bd945a3d1c2ebec372.png
db3c9f9532c384a8283b5fbf6fe2cb39.png
8863552a5a01a432dddc89414823e24f.jpg
Alright. Let's get her done.

8203a4b97dbaadffeba7bcca1e6d845a.jpg
1c87bce2f12a711efc7d94228483308e.png
Just so you know, Teeloa? If you die, you stay dead.

54ea17a04b3ac084c4dd460ba2a358d9.png
e0b836abde760637c5a1e41996a4ae62.png
Easy enough.

84fea9f6abfdc290dbb3e874396f29e4.jpg
6969d423ea6cbbdfe03913f0f6c157b9.png
158d696c5196237666818edabb684e8b.png
Ahhh man, now I'm getting Into the Breach flashbacks. Which is okay, because Into the Breach is a really good game.

37c74a87f302147b28727cb21a3bfb6b.png
Foolishly they attack my mighty squid.

b3aa17b9a6e019f89bf31873a5b8b6d5.png
Time to fend off high-res scorpions! They have... insanely polarised resistances (10% pierce resist, on top of these).

4a516d03ed7d117d0065257eb137eed7.png
b68fbed040c7a36e7eafd2dc75d6bdb9.png
65f4eb90e5bf50787e1b67d72b631abc.png
This is shaping up to be a proper slog.

f5049a00c7dabc027972cf848c10420c.png
b00fb1ef9e038c18807b61224dde7277.png
A proper slog against which my approach... is terrible, honestly. So let's wipe the slate clear and try again.

83ec4a32b72c74ac554bbd62d20a111c.jpg
Much better.

9e1922abf88ae6260c7474df39ca4939.png
Giant spiders are motherfuckers, for some reason. Proper Shelob-tier opposition.

1fd6e0e78614e0124898c3b760a1ba1a.png
62e2ded7312b0a3cc15d1c5e84f93c37.png
Having blatantly underrecruited by two guys last time, I blatantly overrecruit by two guys this time.

5d50ddcfd0215f53444f9687299d76f2.png
And handled.

6dc21ea39a32e1342245c845368999cb.png
This seems to be their last wave.

c60d221a2a1040da28bf141d4319dbb8.jpg
ee39d34a592cee07406217fab6fe820b.png
Inky ascends to his ultimate form; 'dear God sweet Jesus Christ get it away from me'. Very powerful. Anyway, we've left some tasty afterimages on the left of the screen.

de913962e72e79afd9f2f0110ce01734.jpg
Bats ambush-spawn and kill this initiate, which is incredibly rude, but, like, whatever, at this stage.

9ce768a30ca04b4cc7c832a81b1daaed.png
65da1afa638efab40b60aafeffc7ef1d.jpg
d924894b6bd42501ed4083cb2f3f2690.jpg
We get another triton and netcaster out of the deal, at least.

e2abafd5cac747c57b68941a62344c61.jpg
In the north, unsurprisingly, the conspicuous and rare swamp mausoleum is the event flag.

627f4a7cb70e8c84374a92faaa7d0493.jpg
b0dc78c62282c63107e81b06a635cafc.png
Oh man. This guy's portrait fucking rules.

08035dd2ce6777a3145c96c0307ab0f4.jpg
4b7a286fd9fe98843fe327fb0922b34b.jpg
Within two lines this guy has established himself as the second-best wizard so far.

57ef4388a3b48e9842daa5a2e0ba0c46.jpg
3fdb9455bacd6783fa57f9d79dc85fba.jpg
369f207418c7b5e6194ec80c2ecedf37.jpg
77c54b0175218f78c303ebe7ccd3806c.jpg
I love this disgusting basement dweller. Fuck.

f511c114e1077028beadf657f37084bc.png
We're only taking 37 bonus gold to the next level, which is really painful. What we lost in revenue, we gained in four promotions.

12 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

second-best wizard so far

wait who's the first

also YES finally caught up wesnoth rules

7 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

a78bcf79ff1702fec1f1b6b48e70a02f.png
Yep, mer-sex scandal.

I guess you could say the news made a splash!

I wish I had a drum set for a rimshot here.

f2acc35d7c81a491fd4a0efbdad6e953.jpg
"But Nana... ! I'm tier 3!"

Jeez, he got the bitch grandma.

e53adc04224b16ce92a79725220c4d62.png
Fair point. Let's hear it.

I mean, sure she has a ranged attack but I remember what the enforcers looked like.

4859a7fa37c9cc11c055a0c281f31f0b.png
... ... . . . mood?

656300ef48b2dd8b6f175f5af5c5354f.png

RIP Imirna, the always shafted by the script.

Gotta speculich to accumulich.

Delet this.

5ceb72c485b246b25e7a036b2f2e0ee0.jpg
... ... ... ... ... ... ...
i didn't expect it to actually let me

This isn't an especially good idea. It's not a BAD idea, in isolation, but recalling a triton to have another unit to crush skeletons is a way better idea. But then again, like... the meme value here is through the fucking roof, so consider that. Metrics, my friend. Metrics.

Oh my word, that's amazing.

Sing praises to the blessed Inky!

b3aa17b9a6e019f89bf31873a5b8b6d5.png
Time to fend off high-res scorpions! They have... insanely polarised resistances (10% pierce resist, on top of these).

I mean, you have a fire drake.

I'd say that'd be enough on its own.

9e1922abf88ae6260c7474df39ca4939.png
Giant spiders are motherfuckers, for some reason. Proper Shelob-tier opposition.

Okay, that's concerning.

Also RIP arachnophobes.

ee39d34a592cee07406217fab6fe820b.png
Inky ascends to his ultimate form; 'dear God sweet Jesus Christ get it away from me'. Very powerful. Anyway, we've left some tasty afterimages on the left of the screen.

That's some beast released with up to 50 damage in melee and 85 HP.

Two more things: Does Inky still have the arcane damage? Also RIP cuttle "jokes".

b0dc78c62282c63107e81b06a635cafc.png
Oh man. This guy's portrait fucking rules.

His first line somehow sounds sincere and sarcastic.

He kind of looks like he's going to pick you up then rob you.

08035dd2ce6777a3145c96c0307ab0f4.jpg
4b7a286fd9fe98843fe327fb0922b34b.jpg
Within two lines this guy has established himself as the second-best wizard so far.

I can't help but keep thinking he's like SotN's Dracula's VA with this. What is a MER MAN?

I think I might rank him higher than Aquagar.

77c54b0175218f78c303ebe7ccd3806c.jpg
I love this disgusting basement dweller. Fuck.

Never mind that last statement I guess.

Flattery establishes you as a basement dweller then? It's quite clear he's hammy and talks up others. Calling it even if he's just pretending to be like that he's a traitor.

M'ermaid

Yeah, Inky's got arcane melee damage for the rest of the campaign.

I read the "Am I glad to see you?" line as a direct response to the "We're glad to see you : )" from Krellis, and so as more of a... "okay, you're glad to see me, that's great, are you glad to see me because you're tracking me down to murder me or"

28 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

Yeah, Inky's got arcane melee damage for the rest of the campaign.

that's the right reverend inky to you praise jesus

On 5/19/2019 at 6:35 AM, Dayni said:

Also RIP arachnophobes

i hate the wesnoth spiders so much for exactly this reason

i mean they're also awful to fight against but also they're HUGE SPIDERS  D:

DEAD WATER 9: Happy, happy, happy, happy--

Spoiler

3bbff2a27aa9376830556e92a41d23d2.png
1b0bdfabf05f69470c203faac1f3357b.jpg
Straightforward enough.

b85b3f20db2e31570958ce8cd9aea976.jpg
Here's the (Vemar)tea.

49d1ca426f8c44a76d7ab493aeb8d9e7.jpg
1f5609785c8d6886fac36737e62dd0f4.jpg
239d978d0b5562d22ffb8b4c55686c2b.png
2add86d52ef12b0ac8c92eb38e9900b8.jpg
eyes emoji

4704a5d47374cf228829cb0444c478ec.png
df85656884c2793abe4204a1859155a2.jpg
The ultimate party trick; he screm

9c3f01908748d892de51a5d09a2e0a77.png
8f029f68ef1dc9f31a17d5f7d78b5b8a.jpg
I fuck up taking the screenshot, and sarcastically write 'Nice couplet.' while neglecting to actually cap the line, so hey, you get to imagine what yourself what line is missing here.

c695ef80214302c0b9689b8f2ef8addc.jpg
91f2b55745481a59f792abbec572255a.png
977cc1bfe986da491b94be1d57952015.png
28 turns to complete the unusually flowery wincon.

ea637aa4d53076307d60d39767498c1e.jpg
Well, now I just have to see this.

f7c463beeaeb02da7b9e4f91db1d121e.jpg
1947eee899049a56dae46e37acedcadf.jpg
33e70cc8a1cf0fb5c547edf2459e8030.jpg
Okay, we can now set our money on fire if we want by recruiting human villagers. The game is polite enough to explicitly say they won't be recallable. The list includes the tier 0 humans - the only opportunity we'll ever get in any campaign to have ruffians, as far as I'm aware - poachers/trappers, thugs/bandits, and footpads.

2c13da77dc446ec7ab54bfee11a73b1f.jpg
HEYYY my MAN

ccc2811fa38cabe97629815d58047d54.jpg
dc085ba18d4134f2aac0abc9e19dff2e.png
d6228fcf6aacc3f906470ad4842d7711.jpg
YEAH

106b544127a45e5b56ed4a91acd7c24d.jpg
Immediately, our newfound homies celebrate by seizing this village. In a nice, Gwabbo-like touch, the footpad's dextrous.

4ece9e4e2ae803fc533ca6234c9e54aa.png
Leaving this as our final unit list.

563a1acb7c0b13f87f3ff0fcea85b480.jpg
0d2ccc5726105cc51be618a61a0599dc.png
Credit to Horwyth, he's gonna defend his homestead.

9b583a62d6914c4c1f3cda04b6637fe1.png
9165b02a099019be6dfe24db6c76d6db.png
A chocobone dives in, gets mostly annihilated by our man here, and then the outlaw finishes him off with his sling.

144ebc1cef3f276ec3051299e18763cd.jpg
Siddry shoots a ghost to death.

ae67a27822a5c4d0d5a33cfd783a4f15.png
But I beef my positioning, somewhat.

37df9809d4be7547dbd903e26db248c1.jpg
6c0c9bb09ee953e1ad28313f4b958fd5.png
This way we lose a thug, but, like, whatever. Still. Next turn could go very wrong, very quickly

62dd699e09adfc16ec8b5d0b34ca03b0.jpg
We open the right way, murdering a bat.

50639500b0cb95edab129b0d90a4fe84.jpg
This is how it's gotta be, little darlin'...

c5a6507b938a0180bed8a62b5e48040a.jpg
dc4142b1e5b22235c775a662970edb64.png
I'll be ridin' on the horses--

fcfc1f04608e31a8e0ae0ba0b2d42f60.jpg
-- fuck no.

Okay, those losses are not sustainable. Let's tread back a couple turns to like, before we were trapped in the middle. These homesteads are not, it turns out, worth fighting for. A kraken and diviner being out of position is disastrous, as well as nightfall. And just generally, I'm paying the price for letting our finances dwindle so much last map. Small margins; two fewer recruits probably make for two more recruits here, where it'd mean we have a crumple zone.

55bee70ba3db6414e0a52773c26dd34c.jpg
a06f1a50d449215776375a75b3529050.png
e06d28294d6e701f176be5ee8355fa04.jpg
And that's a much more palatable dawn 7.

0c267064a1181712adcbfc1e2d98ff32.png
da061105b8125d9e718a916a03f3a1a5.jpg
A wildly successful player phase is the result, sweeping clear the west and mostly handling the east. Oh, and I summoned another thug for crumple zone.

244dca4a54171a21a03bbaaaa171859c.jpg
Even so. Are we fortunate to escape without casualties? Yeah, somewhat.

4688577f644249d7dee3a1379f22d86c.jpg
479b538c22ccc77581700311ad966363.jpg
Yeah, this... really was a time where I just needed to sit back and kill cunts on favourable terms.

39a9027fa52a648aebc9222a1e3ed98b.jpg
Hey, it's that action shot of the spectre I spent all of Descent into Darkness failing to capture!

8cc1683c3d4e3af30acf37268e9df688.png
Mal-Govon does, in fact, have the sword, but it's hard to see him wanting to use it.

1ff62395faada63ccac63ae93fea6b1a.png
Time to creep up the map.

8b8bcd8f5a707107c3f42734ec3268fa.png
4525c457f6aa6c5d4480e34327916b89.png
Despite our best efforts, though, we can't go for the kingsnipe itself. Yet. So, hopefully he sticks around...

1d32a9114bad4970b5437a85611a644b.jpg
He doesn't.

967b297892231e253522a4b708181b41.jpg
Our advance is hella cautious, and we use this time to snipe most of the map's villages to limit our gold loss.

e9e4a236548dd47b655a701faebda5ac.jpg
SURPRISE TEELOA

9f7790252abb4b3ae8888d5dbd0cb100.jpg
Hey, let's leave this guy alone to die for the memes, I want to see his staff go nuclear.

fc02d13aca1393a59ba29d302a6075f9.jpg
c42c913e82560e868faaded2f8956cbc.png
b083d1fd7c34e6a3282822e8fa7de9e6.png
4a50fb082f7833c73156879a3168dba7.jpg
dc37644daf37e9abc7b7af4670fd8590.jpg
Dead Water rules.

3bab57b7db49591208808107a47a3953.jpg
d594723aa488fd6941cf62d7deade8d3.png
3b68633d5e0d7b5b27078fa5719e40c2.png
uhhh--

fe44cd6aad10809400e8ca4d6a813d3c.jpg
8510a98dacc575108a71e3439057349e.png
He picks up the sword - note his sidebar - then fully heals.

eeeab2be8dcd69bd2deee8c8b24bab6d.jpg
b954808dab024a6e4d596fac3fb046ff.jpg
cec1c28be783a9137f81e6250211cfda.jpg
... you know, I HAD noticed that, too. Also, the game is being really polite, letting us not necessarily drop the hammer on him if we aren't ready.

6717e3e12744d34b262fd9d48c8bba5a.jpg
5cf4fb93eb306a71553b00e1d452a351.jpg
9000ded314e9328965e64aecf7e009b6.png
... On the other hand, this is less polite. But it's fine. The game did give us a breather turn for a reason. I roll back to the save from before we threw Caledon to his death.

b199c62b1d448d1a280532a602813db2.jpg
15f489dc5a452b78b07ec4bc778a2443.png
db0da71787def9c8775c3db142e094b4.png
2e87a5b3647bae096ab5db0c53e5095f.jpg
Tempted to have the storm trident outduel him, sure, but why not just have Siddry (who promoted)'s last homie just blackjack the cunt instead?

0a4d457f0b70be9aec2d2b727462c43b.jpg
8bbe873728c92a476799c5b8ad608a75.jpg
Gwabbo is probably ideal; Gwabbo is also far down south. This is pretty weak damage for an actual melee fighter, too. Actually, the perfect unit is probably our elite spearman; he ain't using pierce against too many undead. Buuut I didn't recall him this map, for that reason.

5f2fd8c501eafe82071373ff07f90950.jpg
And with that, Siddry can go home.

08f5a8525d17716c8458c477eac8f5c1.png
b393a9dd8c5441c1c3692da1fbef88f9.png
After the mulligan, with the realisation you just can't hold the centre at night, we handled that pretty deftly. Our finances are healthy, and we have a powerful core of level 3 guys.

12 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

b85b3f20db2e31570958ce8cd9aea976.jpg
Here's the (Vemar)tea.

49d1ca426f8c44a76d7ab493aeb8d9e7.jpg

Well, Spendthrift is no fool.

Also, nice to see he's a Silver Mage. Mage of Light would have been better.

2add86d52ef12b0ac8c92eb38e9900b8.jpg
eyes emoji

That's called being just the same king, genius.

df85656884c2793abe4204a1859155a2.jpg
The ultimate party trick; he screm

He's been practising by just shouting randomly this whole time!

8f029f68ef1dc9f31a17d5f7d78b5b8a.jpg
I fuck up taking the screenshot, and sarcastically write 'Nice couplet.' while neglecting to actually cap the line, so hey, you get to imagine what yourself what line is missing here.

c695ef80214302c0b9689b8f2ef8addc.jpg

"Your kingdom's nothing more than broke

Your proclamations are just a joke"

ea637aa4d53076307d60d39767498c1e.jpg
Well, now I just have to see this.

I mean, it'll just game over, right?

33e70cc8a1cf0fb5c547edf2459e8030.jpg
Okay, we can now set our money on fire if we want by recruiting human villagers. The game is polite enough to explicitly say they won't be recallable. The list includes the tier 0 humans - the only opportunity we'll ever get in any campaign to have ruffians, as far as I'm aware - poachers/trappers, thugs/bandits, and footpads.

At least it's something.

2c13da77dc446ec7ab54bfee11a73b1f.jpg
HEYYY my MAN

Hey, he's alive!

He's here!

d6228fcf6aacc3f906470ad4842d7711.jpg
YEAH

He's being helpful!

Siddry being the bro of the day.

0d2ccc5726105cc51be618a61a0599dc.png
Credit to Horwyth, he's gonna defend his homestead.

"No bat's tilting at my fuckin' windmill!"

8cc1683c3d4e3af30acf37268e9df688.png
Mal-Govon does, in fact, have the sword, but it's hard to see him wanting to use it.

I mean, if his opponent's weaker to fire....

It does have more amounts of hits if he so happens to be fought against at melee I could see it happening.

fc02d13aca1393a59ba29d302a6075f9.jpg
b083d1fd7c34e6a3282822e8fa7de9e6.png
dc37644daf37e9abc7b7af4670fd8590.jpg
Dead Water rules.

It really does.

Good job Dead Water writers. You actually did it you mad souls.

b954808dab024a6e4d596fac3fb046ff.jpg
cec1c28be783a9137f81e6250211cfda.jpg
... you know, I HAD noticed that, too. Also, the game is being really polite, letting us not necessarily drop the hammer on him if we aren't ready.

I guess he's just really loving the sword.

5cf4fb93eb306a71553b00e1d452a351.jpg

I see the sword doesn't prevent hamming it up after all.

9000ded314e9328965e64aecf7e009b6.png
... On the other hand, this is less polite. But it's fine. The game did give us a breather turn for a reason. I roll back to the save from before we threw Caledon to his death.

A shit-ton of fire.

You'd think it'd screw with the swamp.

8bbe873728c92a476799c5b8ad608a75.jpg
Gwabbo is probably ideal; Gwabbo is also far down south. This is pretty weak damage for an actual melee fighter, too. Actually, the perfect unit is probably our elite spearman; he ain't using pierce against too many undead. Buuut I didn't recall him this map, for that reason.

I guess fishboy's the new sword wielder.

It's a shame it's only 32 damage.

5f2fd8c501eafe82071373ff07f90950.jpg
And with that, Siddry can go home.

I guess he bro'd as far as he could.

Shame.

Edited by Dayni

DEAD WATER 10: Most merman bays are haunted by murky, intangible apparitions. In Jotha, however, the bay is haunted by a very tangible human skull that refuses to be buried. When provoked, the skull's angry screams reverberate for miles.

Spoiler

680b54697014a48f935e3429e6e64627.png
1268525136d1ddaf3e34fe4907825a26.jpg
And the finale.

d6669a015926ea1a7c640471aa815b9e.jpg
448f8f6f512d19bbf3ef0b59e659c85f.png
334f705f1ddce289d172e23404123868.png
You know, I feel like his nuke staff was the real prize.

de94dcc2c95f511b17c8a0a48fcd04c0.jpg
And we can now recruit mermaid priestesses! Now there's a tier 2 worth summoning.

73f2a36106d22a1db675296810cffbc8.png
802306b086bd487f287cf5fef05dacac.png
79ee7b6286b61c36b70c866565757b47.jpg
... .mp4.

0fd5b8c72122ab63817ee83a52a251cd.jpg
c5f017ee71f1dae4b0c3e5ec0c064b9d.jpg
78ba27c5c4b5e3d14a24f47155534580.jpg
Neat touch: Nebthun here's a homie resilient fighter with 6 XP baked in. Which befits a guy who hasn't done much fighting, but has had to scrap a bit. Intelligent homie hunter Jarla has 10, and strong homie brawler Tamobo has 32.

6c0df459101178b12979963e36757bd6.jpg
637598cae90d3521e89bba4142e56a0f.jpg
d476b1934eab22bc7b0aef563cea4d71.jpg
Now there's a setup. You have my attention.

c49b1412d986e378bf41de80d1a091da.jpg
It's the first... well, first two maps, but with a bit more to the west added, and with the terrain fucked up some. Daveth's in the centre, the death knight and Mal-Kevek are where they were before. Hilariously, there's a bunch of elite skeletons guarding the northwest. We have 556 gold and unlimited turns.

36ca2dd4ba9d9eb0fd557b2add7ba95a.jpg
5c8b74f7014b68a9b6ae969614fd87a8.jpg
fdb1737a581548b8e9135d513213ed42.png
Tyegea's also dextrous.

a9f411f4e1f7dac0aeab92042f452b70.jpg
0f75ea07cf3320f8f65f00170c2cc202.jpg
46e6188e31aa3265e6d6af0691124f0c.jpg
Apprentices, am I right? Anyway, as before, the death knight summons skeletons, the lich ghosts, Daveth trash mobs.

0ddbff72979afc95d3c3f242456c294f.jpg
24b74defd2919a4998ab7e35f777a46e.png
Obviously, Dead Water is not brilliantly-written from a technical perspective. But we get a small cast of characters to care about, each with distinctive traits - Krellis going from callow prince to powerful God-King, but never quite losing his naive streak; small, wise Cylanna; thug Gwabbo; the guy who ran that AirBNB; and not one but two great enigmatic wizards in Tyegea (smug kind) and Caladon (dug-too-deep kind).

0df983c262f7774fea2c137cc567dce4.png
6a42cb5312f3ba47776a1a2823d46230.png
I recall everyone over tier 1, hire a shitton of priestesses, and then three citizens on the final turn of recruitment since there's not enough for another priestess.

280f202050571985c61d0ebb6f0c0dd7.jpg
9b09272713c0b89732837ad14bc0ac01.jpg
Time to get fucked. Our more physically-inclined crew surge north...

aeffa25797782a03522ea5a4717ea252.jpg
While the exorcists hold the south.

8a63935b5ec2ad261593fa6fa2401b43.jpg
Wow. Literally five turns and already Daveth seeks death.

390d1cea19edcc2543dc7cf8e0a11a56.png
Hey, hi, yeah, this is just about the last fight ghosts should ever be taking.

f1d6627e41c594597c098d2b69d60379.jpg
A lowly netcaster pulverises the necromancer.

be03b07f39011024f185edbf610812a0.jpg
Aww. Is it because it's a kraken, or because he's already got a magic item? I suspect the latter.

c0e9c1d6197be336b8730449098a3a8f.jpg
8566adcab68ce9ce299f5316c3a92abb.jpg
It's the latter. It increases all damage by 1, and adds some health. It might be balance reasons, as much as the need to have lines, that's why the kraken can't take it.

8de6a3a75b981ee7378501100e7e74af.jpg
Tyegea's helped us a bunch, this is the least she deserves.

ac2657d5de43bd8623c95b351126b5ab.jpg
Anyway, orange crumples.

b861ac9723278ad43d0c8fdf0d385056.jpg
28cc6dde6d707118f2b39ea03cd0ae9d.png
Ahh, fuck. Gwabbo follows in Arkildur's proud tradition by dying on the final map.

71409a130d2bd0941186364351c75c4b.png
623d35e12a252f715fdcf7b8440ea767.png
Still. We press on.

b700d71048a1345a008658d526c373ea.png
df45dd823ab267b1d5a6297135631465.png
Well. I guess it sucks to be a triton today. The southern one, I... didn't even mean to send south, for obvious reasons. The northern one helped do the job. We've been doing really well, even so, given... you know, it's night.

141a4025e6e76c4882470afa1d7e8fb5.png
For their loyal service over the time while we were away, Nebthun and Jarla get the cushy job of pinning down a bat. ... Signs point to them fucking it up, but it's the thought that counts, I guess.

95b4d463b3f95a835a65bbe183c4c904.jpg
5ac3f1f424a42e649e8880c2f2d99ee8.png
In the north, we continue to tenderise them; in the south, well. There continues to not be a southern front. Though, to be fair, the necrophage is a bitch to bring down.

45ae836b6451d837216afe9a95648d45.png
The homie brawler dies. My fault. I internalised that he was a kill away from promotion, put him in harm's way to finish an archer... then realised the kill would've needed to be higher-level. I'd have noticed if he still had a true promotion to go, the bar would've been teal and not white.

4dfb0dbc058a32c643f811f7beb16d65.jpg
We kill everyone here.

874ee48feb2d5c1e81dbeb6802b6cd56.jpg
This guy surely feels like burly-pizza-guy-returns-to-room-on-fire.gif right now.

d23cf7b56ff7ab8dcefbc223b54144a7.jpg
Oh shit.

32cba8bd9d0bc8f2ac3d9c44bb00bf5b.jpg
Well, they'll just have to wait their damn turn. In the south, the exorcists begin their slow crawl east.

804ab42df947468992eb59790459503d.png
It takes a third, but Jarla gets eaten by bats.

f939b1732d8d30fee3ddc0f83f299808.jpg
Inky gets the job motherfucking done.

3b791ced45cd064d2ae12aaeaa434eec.png
Still, things are looking a touch dicey. Three fronts? Three fronts is starting to be spread thin. On the bright side, we're finally breaking even turn-by-turn! Shame about the -99 debt. All it took was us seizing over half the map.

3b5077e2faedceeec64e8d9eee1f46ef.png
1a708415f01e2bd5cb15818e0b539122.png
We lose a citizen or two, and now it's night. Things are precarious. But we do have them where we want them.

70522ea255d6afdbe36a13cf166f65bc.jpg
Hey, look who found some more consonants.

5299fd09a88ef7f77841e158ba1b420d.png
For the first time all campaign, it's time for Rhombus Volu to stab a cunt.

e2c254ac8c45509acd902319fa7d3496.png
0f9c7c2f5160608d7f7282217da2fe1d.jpg
Third triton down.

da85d048b47a1705345188577a1fc066.jpg
The exorcists have been steadily plugging down a ghost or two a turn.

8550d6d17d59e515e882e5fd9c13c00f.jpg

dc4782342a8bfbdc7e11deefec246a3c.png
0e29cb1dd7af5f910ebaee0384fe594f.png
Down goes the last of purple. Hey, like I said at the start: an unintelligent citizen only useful in the short-term fighting undead is, in fact, prime brawler time.

9db423ab35d2ab17867f4fe116f8eeff.jpg
Not actually the last, this little shit's been going around uncapping villages. Since purple doesn't have a leader, it can't actually hold them, but it can still uncap.

e6ea419274b02a23c19929cd5272d2e6.png
Time to face judgement.

3bc9fc2355daa500d025b1e7ef9e5b16.png
Since I have nothing better to do, I ensure we at least end the day with A triton.

e1c207c58d8c4e42e51a97dbd6c26ba8.jpg
Oh, I assure you, it's possible. It's happening. Keshan does the honours.

5820e11eaa5f109ffd8ac6cf4cd8cce8.jpg
65b7b3633ced3db97f1f1fd67c4fb0fe.png
I wonder which will be higher.

5bef2d4522e617f5f830f0f22601d63c.png
That... was a massacre. But not a slog.

7318068d12e1147746d65d8d8636fbd3.jpg
5b9f2429d9df25cd9439e0200c558be0.png
Oh my God, we're gonna get character epilogues--

52f4ffa2fc7fdc6ad3b119a062dbb280.png
6843427c86bfe877024ef7e31e70793f.png
d5de66607139bac1d69beb6a14a2723a.png
There is a conspicuous missing figure, here.

ef0c8c289d4e97fca0888bf6a40b283f.png
9a7b001a47186dec04d58e0b66d5c1db.png
9ac0085a915e29dc7d1958817929d09e.png
DEAD WATER IS THE BEST CAMPAIGN IN THE FUCKING GAME.

467365b5836ffafbb2d024eae7502249.png
YEAH

1b43f045f71a99b0e5fd62b6a593dfe1.png
THANKS GUYS

5696a69ee6d6c6a370863cc6a6637ae6.png
Siddry : )

I'm glad we're onto a happy thing. South Guard feels like a long time ago. Descent was genuinely really bad, and Legend was... extremely mixed. So it's felt like a while since I could just... enjoy a good campaign, made competently, in this really good free game.

Dead Water never tried to overcomplicate things. We were in the mundane world, the mundane world became full of zombies, we fled to the dangerous world, we gained the magic helmet of a bunch of tier 3 units, we went home, we smote our enemies, and we return rejuvenated and enriched to the status quo. Straight out of uni screenwriting class. The dialogue wasn't great, but it wasn't bad, and it had a few really good lines and characters thrown in.

Designwise;
Map 1: defending your homeland. Hey, welcome to merman mechanics! You have to use some tier 1s! Good map!
Map 2: homeland overrun! The 'promote your leader before leaving' wincon is a good and really thematic idea. The triple crown is doable, and you get interesting rewards for it, but don't hugely feel like you Miss Out if you don't go for it. Good map!
Map 3: proper introduction to your forces. It's basic, it's pretty filler, but infighting wolves and a pretty map with favourable terrain let you use it to your advantage, feel clever, and get a feel for your unit set.
Map 4: Slave riots. A really interesting map that left the timing of its gimmick entirely in the hands of the player. It was just fun generally, and the swampy terrain meant both the mermen and the saurians got to shine on de facto 'flat' terrain, which is understated and clever. The campaign used swamps like this a fair bit, actually.
Map 5: Hotel Hell. This map is great. In concept, in dialogue, in gameplay. It gives you a heap of ghosts and leaves it entirely up to the player how to deal with them. Do you rely on the orcs to soften them up? Do you get it done and get out?
Map 6: The old man and the sea. A fun map against eclectic units. And you got to fucking keep a loyal cuttlefish, man.
Map 7: Drakes map. Yeah, this is filler, but at least with an unusual unit set and another pretty map. It was resolutely Okay. I played it badly.
Map 8: Caladon Swamp. Easily the worst map in the campaign, but I wouldn't call it bad, just somewhat boring and somewhat punishing (via ambush spawn bats. And. I mean. They're bats.)
Map 9: The Caladon Incident. Kill your first lich! You get random villagers, and get to feel heroic for having saved Siddry - but aren't fucked, if you didn't.
Map 10: The finale. We just saw it. You sweep through and crush the enemy. It's a victory lap, in a good way.

So yeah. 7 and 8 were kinda forgettable, not even really bad. The rest all had a real reason to exist. I guess if I had to nitpick, removing 8 and instead having a breather map between killing the first lich (and Caladon) and saving your homeland might've been better, but then, where do you find Caladon? This is fine as-is. Also, the maps were almost universally really pretty.

As a general design philosophy, Dead Water liked to reward, not punish, the player. Remember how Legend gave you nothing except favourable bugs for exceptional clears, and took away swathes of your units without warning? Contrast that to DW. That shipwreck out in the distance with no strategic value? There's gold there if you go for it. Go out of your way to retrieve a trident and it's there for you. Complete the stretch goals of Map 2 and you get unique units. You're making friends with this sea wizard hermit? You get a fucking loyal cuttlefish. You got to use the flaming sword. You got holy water and a ring on top of that. Your lord goes from feeble and pathetic at tier 0 to mediocre tier 1 to really strong tier 2-3, and your loyal troops have interesting and often unique traits - combined with the items and the handful of exotic troops, you had quite a lot of unit variety. Even shit like... Caladon threatens to nuke the earth if you let him die, and if you do, he does! No fakeouts.

8b734deecc7be7dd6534748fb8f021df.png
a35f0c570d63081bfe93fb9c7065b94f.png
This campaign literally gave us a cuttlefish, and then gave the cuttlefish a promotion, and the option to give that promoted cuttlefish holy water. Merman units are pretty wildly imbalanced, honestly (not the campaign's fault, apart from citizens (a fine T0) and brawlers (great concept, very underpowered)), but this campaign - not for the first time I've said it - felt like a love letter to underappreciated units. I'm only surprised we didn't pick up a homie duelist somewhere along the line. On the whole they managed to make our units feel... not monotonous, even when pursuing the coward option in chapter 2.

Yeah... fuck it. Dead Water is the best campaign we've seen so far, and might be the best in the game.

03f4f47ac4f767f8aba7b382e643422f.png
Next time: a change of pace.

55 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

de94dcc2c95f511b17c8a0a48fcd04c0.jpg
And we can now recruit mermaid priestesses! Now there's a tier 2 worth summoning.

All that arcane, so nice.

57 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

78ba27c5c4b5e3d14a24f47155534580.jpg
Neat touch: Nebthun here's a homie resilient fighter with 6 XP baked in. Which befits a guy who hasn't done much fighting, but has had to scrap a bit. Intelligent homie hunter Jarla has 10, and strong homie brawler Tamobo has 32.

Least they have some exp.

57 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

Now there's a setup. You have my attention.

c49b1412d986e378bf41de80d1a091da.jpg
It's the first... well, first two maps, but with a bit more to the west added, and with the terrain fucked up some. Daveth's in the centre, the death knight and Mal-Kevek are where they were before. Hilariously, there's a bunch of elite skeletons guarding the northwest. We have 556 gold and unlimited turns.

This is a finale map.

I like it.

58 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

24b74defd2919a4998ab7e35f777a46e.png
Obviously, Dead Water is not brilliantly-written from a technical perspective. But we get a small cast of characters to care about, each with distinctive traits - Krellis going from callow prince to powerful God-King, but never quite losing his naive streak; small, wise Cylanna; thug Gwabbo; the guy who ran that AirBNB; and not one but two great enigmatic wizards in Tyegea (smug kind) and Caladon (dug-too-deep kind).

RIP AirB&B Orc.

59 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

8a63935b5ec2ad261593fa6fa2401b43.jpg
Wow. Literally five turns and already Daveth seeks death.

I mean, his whole thing was messing with undead.

Him seeking his own death might make him a lich, stop! That only leads us to Mal Keshar, we don't want that!!

1 hour ago, Parrhesia said:

28cc6dde6d707118f2b39ea03cd0ae9d.png
Ahh, fuck. Gwabbo follows in Arkildur's proud tradition by dying on the final map.

Respect to him for at least trying to make it.

874ee48feb2d5c1e81dbeb6802b6cd56.jpg
This guy surely feels like burly-pizza-guy-returns-to-room-on-fire.gif right now.

Least this one has a fire extinguisher.

The wrong one, but still.

5299fd09a88ef7f77841e158ba1b420d.png
For the first time all campaign, it's time for Rhombus Volu to stab a cunt.

It's been that long since he stabbed a guy?

Wow. That's what his harpoon does!

5bef2d4522e617f5f830f0f22601d63c.png
That... was a massacre. But not a slog.

RIP so many tritons.

52f4ffa2fc7fdc6ad3b119a062dbb280.png
6843427c86bfe877024ef7e31e70793f.png
d5de66607139bac1d69beb6a14a2723a.png
There is a conspicuous missing figure, here.

ef0c8c289d4e97fca0888bf6a40b283f.png
9a7b001a47186dec04d58e0b66d5c1db.png
9ac0085a915e29dc7d1958817929d09e.png
DEAD WATER IS THE BEST CAMPAIGN IN THE FUCKING GAME.

Praise Inky!

we gained the magic helmet of a bunch of tier 3 units

The magic of experience I see.

Spoiler

I'm glad we're onto a happy thing. South Guard feels like a long time ago. Descent was genuinely really bad, and Legend was... extremely mixed. So it's felt like a while since I could just... enjoy a good campaign, made competently, in this really good free game.

Dead Water never tried to overcomplicate things. We were in the mundane world, the mundane world became full of zombies, we fled to the dangerous world, we gained the magic helmet of a bunch of tier 3 units, we went home, we smote our enemies, and we return rejuvenated and enriched to the status quo. Straight out of uni screenwriting class. The dialogue wasn't great, but it wasn't bad, and it had a few really good lines and characters thrown in.

Designwise;
Map 1: defending your homeland. Hey, welcome to merman mechanics! You have to use some tier 1s! Good map!
Map 2: homeland overrun! The 'promote your leader before leaving' wincon is a good and really thematic idea. The triple crown is doable, and you get interesting rewards for it, but don't hugely feel like you Miss Out if you don't go for it. Good map!
Map 3: proper introduction to your forces. It's basic, it's pretty filler, but infighting wolves and a pretty map with favourable terrain let you use it to your advantage, feel clever, and get a feel for your unit set.
Map 4: Slave riots. A really interesting map that left the timing of its gimmick entirely in the hands of the player. It was just fun generally, and the swampy terrain meant both the mermen and the saurians got to shine on de facto 'flat' terrain, which is understated and clever. The campaign used swamps like this a fair bit, actually.
Map 5: Hotel Hell. This map is great. In concept, in dialogue, in gameplay. It gives you a heap of ghosts and leaves it entirely up to the player how to deal with them. Do you rely on the orcs to soften them up? Do you get it done and get out?
Map 6: The old man and the sea. A fun map against eclectic units. And you got to fucking keep a loyal cuttlefish, man.
Map 7: Drakes map. Yeah, this is filler, but at least with an unusual unit set and another pretty map. It was resolutely Okay. I played it badly.
Map 8: Caladon Swamp. Easily the worst map in the campaign, but I wouldn't call it bad, just somewhat boring and somewhat punishing (via ambush spawn bats. And. I mean. They're bats.)
Map 9: The Caladon Incident. Kill your first lich! You get random villagers, and get to feel heroic for having saved Siddry - but aren't fucked, if you didn't.
Map 10: The finale. We just saw it. You sweep through and crush the enemy. It's a victory lap, in a good way.

So yeah. 7 and 8 were kinda forgettable, not even really bad. The rest all had a real reason to exist. I guess if I had to nitpick, removing 8 and instead having a breather map between killing the first lich (and Caladon) and saving your homeland might've been better, but then, where do you find Caladon? This is fine as-is. Also, the maps were almost universally really pretty.

As a general design philosophy, Dead Water liked to reward, not punish, the player. Remember how Legend gave you nothing except favourable bugs for exceptional clears, and took away swathes of your units without warning? Contrast that to DW. That shipwreck out in the distance with no strategic value? There's gold there if you go for it. Go out of your way to retrieve a trident and it's there for you. Complete the stretch goals of Map 2 and you get unique units. You're making friends with this sea wizard hermit? You get a fucking loyal cuttlefish. You got to use the flaming sword. You got holy water and a ring on top of that. Your lord goes from feeble and pathetic at tier 0 to mediocre tier 1 to really strong tier 2-3, and your loyal troops have interesting and often unique traits - combined with the items and the handful of exotic troops, you had quite a lot of unit variety. Even shit like... Caladon threatens to nuke the earth if you let him die, and if you do, he does! No fakeouts.

This campaign literally gave us a cuttlefish, and then gave the cuttlefish a promotion, and the option to give that promoted cuttlefish holy water. Merman units are pretty wildly imbalanced, honestly (not the campaign's fault, apart from citizens (a fine T0) and brawlers (great concept, very underpowered)), but this campaign - not for the first time I've said it - felt like a love letter to underappreciated units. I'm only surprised we didn't pick up a homie duelist somewhere along the line. On the whole they managed to make our units feel... not monotonous, even when pursuing the coward option in chapter 2.

Yeah... fuck it. Dead Water is the best campaign we've seen so far, and might be the best in the game.

A nice summary of what Dead Water does right and where it's limited.

As a curiosity, is there anything that's going to show a more advanced level of writing in these campaigns? Or am I getting too hopeful you'd make some sick comparing with stronger writing?

Also, next time Orcs!

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

As a curiosity, is there anything that's going to show a more advanced level of writing in these campaigns? Or am I getting too hopeful you'd make some sick comparing with stronger writing?

Writing-wise I remember Delfador's Memoirs being really good when I played it some years ago, and looking at the intro to Secrets of the Ancients, it's shown a lot of promise. Ike's covering both of them, naturally, the lucky fuck.

On 5/23/2019 at 11:14 AM, Parrhesia said:

Writing-wise I remember Delfador's Memoirs being really good when I played it some years ago, and looking at the intro to Secrets of the Ancients, it's shown a lot of promise. Ike's covering both of them, naturally, the lucky fuck.

i, the less narratively-focused and more douchey one, am covering the only possible contenders to the throne

it's a safe bet that you will all come out of this knowing in your kokorae that dead water was the best-written campaign

anyway you all waited for filler

Spoiler

Fife3XUF_o.png

ikMraQid_o.png

I started this map on Tuesday.

lqa878pK_o.png

XB3uRgWR_o.png

XEAmm1BZ_o.png

Cursory intro, unlimited turns, dark map, I thought this was something I remembered from playing on my iPad - her name is Victoria - during class a few years back.

8I13y4pN_o.png

The map looks huge. It is huge. And movement is limited.

Zm1jxvEv_o.png

We're engaged by bats from the dark, dropping a quarter of Konrad's health from nowhere.

5QxdzQlV_o.png

At this point I stop playing until today. Cool news: I did four To-Shin Do classes in three days and graduated to my second belt. Growth!

18g8OtdT_o.png

I have no idea why this picture captured my entire both screens but I'm posting it for the novelty.

2mDNzbeQ_o.png

Anyway, the bad news is my legs, arms, torso, and body feel like jelly right now, but hey, that's physical training, right? So yeah, we killed two waves of bats and

NFcj0llE_o.png

saw lava and moved forward and

jXKHf9N9_o.png

I'll just spoil you: this cutscene is the end of the map. This giant, blackened map, with no turn limit, was three turns. There are 38 screenshots to go in the update. Any modern game would have, correctly, made this whole level a cutscene.

3YG88V9p_o.png

XE5U1eVt_o.png

cc0Xn2Mw_o.png

You ever reckon that dwarf-elf drama is all Tolkein's, and by which I mostly mean Peter Jackson's, fault?

jDoBVUdN_o.png

gVHL3cNQ_o.png

Good comeback, dork.

A3t9gL3T_o.png

iWmUlssE_o.png

29emYaxk_o.png

Challenge: name a single personality trait Konrad has exhibited.

AJCSyWYE_o.png

fFfl87AA_o.png

8TGm9wYd_o.png

All of Konrad's development has been via what Delfador is pushing him towards now. A competent narrative would use this to show how Konrad is a pawn, or how he is way out of his depth right now, or anything. Heir to the Throne? Nah.

pmA3PPSy_o.png

7LFXjxKj_o.png

HVramKey_o.png

PN0Xhjnm_o.png

Konrad, directly konfronted by the dwarves, has no attempt to defend himself. Delfador defends himself and by proxy validates Konrad. Konrad is nobody.

8SJapYvL_o.png

slmF0nMr_o.png

Declaring Konrad a joke gives Delfador an extremely forgettable moment to show the dwarves what's up. Konrad? An accessory.

oB9wseJH_o.png

BcVWWTz6_o.png

euik74ZM_o.png

apdTeQ3r_o.png

H9q7pkan_o.png

We're all friends, now that Delfador's spritework changed and he yelled, while nothing happened on the map.

K5PU86I7_o.png

xi6voPpx_o.png

The map would ordinarily end there, but noble Gryphon Tender arrives.

This puts an interesting timeline on gryphon lifespans, given as they hatched about four months ago at the most unreasonable estimate.

Like, four month old chickens aren't even adults.

3zDfwEr7_o.png

6VpTpEpm_o.png

So it's established that the only canonical mounters of gryphons, dwarves, have no business doing this, and that this is just Konrad's random idea.

pdn3uNEQ_o.png

pm42G5kA_o.png

I hate this map so much.

HgkJ60GJ_o.png

yxrcfbeS_o.png

I hate this map with all of my hate.

iprEeYvQ_o.png

WmTgrKCX_o.png

QW694jgF_o.png

Hey, check it out, a Konrad problem is solved by Konrad doing nothing and Delfador suggesting the solution. Who'd figure?

GBGhVR3F_o.png

Gryphon Riders are not fearsome. They attack for 12x2 blade, with paltry durability and no resistances. Compared to noble Horsemen, they are less durable except against spears, do far less damage on player phase for slightly more damage on enemy phase, and promote to just bigger versions of themselves rather than getting bigger and gaining options.

xzVwZjej_o.png

Check out the tonal swing. Shut the fuck up.

IvO3XtVL_o.png

Woo. We did it.

next map we can recruit dwarves so i'll get a lot more enthusiastic i swear to god and jesus

7 hours ago, Integrity said:

i, the less narratively-focused and more douchey one, am covering the only possible contenders to the throne

it's a safe bet that you will all come out of this knowing in your kokorae that dead water was the best-written campaign

I don't know what kokorae means but I bet that this can only end one way.

jXKHf9N9_o.png

I'll just spoil you: this cutscene is the end of the map. This giant, blackened map, with no turn limit, was three turns. There are 38 screenshots to go in the update. Any modern game would have, correctly, made this whole level a cutscene.

There's something you missed.

There's a chest in the caverns. It's guarded by giant spiders.

I missed it too. I was wondering if you'd show it.

Yes, it's literally the only thing not making this a cutscene.

You ever reckon that dwarf-elf drama is all Tolkein's, and by which I mostly mean Peter Jackson's, fault?

I mean, maybe?

I'm not that well-read on elf-dwarf drama.

29emYaxk_o.png

Challenge: name a single personality trait Konrad has exhibited.

Being Delfadonewiththeroyalfamily's puppet. 

All of Konrad's development has been via what Delfador is pushing him towards now. A competent narrative would use this to show how Konrad is a pawn, or how he is way out of his depth right now, or anything. Heir to the Throne? Nah.

Konrad: He just is.

This puts an interesting timeline on gryphon lifespans, given as they hatched about four months ago at the most unreasonable estimate.

Like, four month old chickens aren't even adults.

I mean, they could just be too big to keep on a leash like that and still be young.

They could have bad ropes too.

Hey, check it out, a Konrad problem is solved by Konrad doing nothing and Delfador suggesting the solution. Who'd figure?

I mean, Delfador still does more damage than him.

GBGhVR3F_o.png

Gryphon Riders are not fearsome. They attack for 12x2 blade, with paltry durability and no resistances. Compared to noble Horsemen, they are less durable except against spears, do far less damage on player phase for slightly more damage on enemy phase, and promote to just bigger versions of themselves rather than getting bigger and gaining options.

I will say a bunch of them are useful as scouts, don't knock them entirely. They also use blade damage, which is less of a situational unit.

Then again, no Charge, right?

gVHL3cNQ_o.png

I know HTTT was written first, but chronologically, Kalenz's mate did sort of murder a shitton of dwarves.

BLACK-EYE 1: Kapoue vs. Confirmation Bias

Spoiler

03f4f47ac4f767f8aba7b382e643422f.png
5ceeb60c68629ad0a7332f7dac908dae.png
Welcome back. We're now stepping into Son of the Blackeye. This is the hardest campaign we've played yet, and all three of our difficulty levels are now threatening us. As always, we're playing on the average of the three. This is the only campaign that sees us as orcs.

84fe419ca97680c24bc65afff04cc732.png
28e5136fffe63f209440d595c39d2c42.png
14865922d9201b725b388d2685efe31a.png
990db3433641699fe95e73f12bf19807.png
f546bdc3eaffb662750ef13a58dcb5f6.png
a00dda187d8e70ad9c43ece1474838b5.png
bcc21bd50f18e032262c0e179ebe22d7.png
67eb643ff9712498eeb540e9f2ea3096.jpg
We're in the northern orcish homeland.

e4ebbe688f3ad01bd66c16e687bd8915.jpg
eaf55e3b902330912767384b7901d669.jpg
44524131242c49817134c0302ec8c9e7.png
After the long-winded opening, this is... straightforward, even bland. We have 100 gold to head south and kick this guy's head in.

6cc7c404e6c7eee424482b9ac633cee8.jpg
Yeah. There's a map around halfway down.

2f1db5cd3e4e0a333aac0e00ddd6e147.png
Kapoue is pretty decent as things stand. It's going to take a while for him to level, but he has a meaty 45 health, solid 7x3 melee, and passable 5x2 ranged chip. That said, Kapoue has no traits.

3131c04c534e56466555c778254426c4.jpg
They have far more gold and more guys to send, but the issue is? We can take this advance force and bundle up here with a view to slaughtering them in the night, then moving steadily down, picking them off piecemeal.

d4a303b1cef0d81126a4fc33bcd4be9a.png
The fencer lives, unfortunately.

657a6f7aa65ba754283442eb8c7cdf43.png
Paying the price: an intelligent/strong grunt. Mind, strong isn't very... good, for grunts. It's only +2 damage, +3 on promotion.

f5f1ad38030d17a8476866c36ffee89a.png
68c639594fc4512ca3a5a5156e8f535e.png
There isn't a lot to say except that we keep fucking missing. I abandon the start of the next turn when we miss all but two from eight 60% shots, and would need to make at least one more, having spent our entire action economy on one goddamn cavalryman. Our luck is almost as bad when we reload but, fuck, at least he eventually does die, and we have to keep it.

d7f5ee6ed0043587e4ebd0cb04808626.png
But that's just life, with the orcs. It's cheap.

6a04c0228caf4c511ccdeb05b8a9e8c2.png
Naturally, they make all THEIR 60%s. I hate it, but we need to pull back and recruit two more grunts, with a view to an archer next turn. They still haven't finished recruiting. Our night phase was totally squandered, so...

4e069fe8912c731cc1dfd802338a221f.jpg
Naturally, our grunt collapses.

0b57c4b55c7bf7fe96399fe7a42f4c07.jpg
At least we're doing well by sending a rider down this way. Note that there's a bunch of different flags used - this is the second time I'm certain we've had a unique flag. The South Guard had a distinct white-and-red, and now we have the black eye design. There's a bunch of different house types, too. These are, obviously, orcish ones.

6bb23cc57cc1349eeade4d6bf98b3066.png
I hope to God we don't need another archer, because I forgot to recruit one. Of course their archer continues to instagib our troops.

b2f622830f89fadd811b6fac0d61bf83.png
Two crossbows. I play it safe on the recruiting, but we really need to move south, NOW.

8b6943e0fb094cdc6489c1ba417bd167.png
65c4c4949c64059e08c4366874db4856.png
Just one of those days.

2ec25182be5f693d4d69465b2310e4bd.png
Really wanted to use all my actions killing an almost-entirely-dead fencer and this idiot, on flat ground, at night.

e4ed2915a0a982d8335108e7932a37c1.jpg
good

8b992ba13f730f1708614ed08fd4a104.png
dfe777bf84b01dbb2173225747c24e10.png
Grunts don't trade very well with bowmen in day. I, uh... I like grunts as short-term meatshields more than I like them as long-term prospects.

31feec34410bf3b88e18158720fb6b36.png
In a welcome bit of competence, the crossbowman goes on to murder the fuck out of this guy. We're extremely running out of time, though. Well. Relatively. Turn 17/24, anyway.

8e6f14b7465ca0f454a311426d98f035.png
thank lord jesus christ

a98219ad46753f3a901d04439281053c.png
84328b7260117ba5fb84676046202fdc.jpg
4914c44c46091b7f0b1ae3531940a666.png
03095377b2d8857b469df1af8c0da4f8.png
It'd be harsh to call Blackeye's art bad. It's just... very obviously some of the very oldest art left in the game. It hasn't been updated since I started playing a decade ago.

2e9d36c8d8c6cf664ad4da19bc02457d.jpg
67986a044d625d0bd94b69564feaf8ec.png
Which means he kind of clashes with, well, all the really good generic orc art. Like look at how shitty and scruffy the wolf rider is, he's amazing.

4b57a61bcf2c731eed6eb3cb00c92bb8.jpg
5537f2faa3fc89424126aa6f8826ae6d.png
0a40eeb5a436b8c46af61abb64e172eb.jpg
'Slowly and inaccurately'?

fbffe98ccc6976fec290ae3ad1592327.jpg
1154de0085d849b6a0e36515683c90eb.jpg
Saying 'yes' basically gives you an extra challenge map. I don't feel like map 1x is the right time for a challenge map. One explicitly designed to punish you for Choosing Wrong at this intersection. So... pass.

049bfb043b317b2442100bc6a67ff5e0.jpg
Vrag's the most well-spoken fucking scout.

daedd8c82a20bc0bf0aefc703fe6ad56.png
7adfabc0bcb9cf641440a55534a81fa9.jpg
d8b694c49a5e2946fbb198b5b4d49491.jpg
8c56bade11661c30caa7ba8690a2b459.jpg
So since we've decided not to get all our troops killed against the massive enemy forces, we're looking good.

c2d1203237f46993955e7dbb74b9eb0b.png
Finances could be better.

24356635b30133d61f519a18e5d8765c.png
Importantly, we got two intelligent archers in our first batch, and promoted both. With the kill on Alber, our fearless leader has promoted, too.

648fc658e0daf3a14228d46e0c3617aa.png
With 20 more health than a lieutenant, and +1 more damage on each sword and crossbow blow, we're reaping the rewards of being, essentially, a boss mob. He's in a good place, but with 120 XP left to go 'til promotion in a very long campaign, I'll go slightly less hell-for-leather in the chase for tier 3.

Edited by Parrhesia

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

There's something you missed.

There's a chest in the caverns. It's guarded by giant spiders.

I missed it too. I was wondering if you'd show it.

Yes, it's literally the only thing not making this a cutscene.

i went back and verified, yes, there is a one-hex otherwise-ordinary wall you can jam a unit into to discover a secret passage which is guarded by one (1) giant spider who will kick your fucking teeth in except kalenz dodged three 70%s in a row.

your reward is a great treasure of 200 gold.

f546bdc3eaffb662750ef13a58dcb5f6.png

Lanbeck Aitch