Parrhesia and Integrity's Guide to Surviving Wesnoth

Parrhesia

MEMOIRS 19: Just in time to entirely miss the campaign it's a prequel to

Spoiler

a0e339a3975a7bc0505d067e022a733e.png
00f51b03fad4b22e36c66f6ef7f479c7.png
... oh.
You know. I kind of figured you'd be allowed to bring in your daves from outside. Like that one Descent map, and, Christ, it's cursed to want to be bringing back elements from Descent. Still, I'm not sure you could easily avert gold haemorrhage last map. We ended with like -165. Five max-level elves should really be enough, anyway.

b279709a46dda920868b56cd8393e037.png
13df93a01f49462632818dd98ebd2c86.png
It'll be a champion.

7edc48bfb3445851740287d8ff7be135.png
Okay.

060ed86deacf006fa886e85767b27015.png
Holy water means undead. Undead means arcane, and to leave the archers at home. Why bring Atellas? I ... don't know. He was one of the first elves we met, though, on Chantal's team.

07847657decc89250ea2419bad1c83d4.png
09aab3d041806d05fd63c6c629818908.png
Chantal is nearly destroyed by a nasty trap.

b9e6c04dceb999fe527da22dcc2bb2f4.png
54b6510a2804247c8546773551ceb500.png
Not much to say here.

d496bcc0bfb912353c057de0808afd9c.png
We just... advance through a bunch of T1 and T2 dross.

46efbe053462625c96e02023824a602e.jpg
Oh, hey! It's Sagus! Don't you remember our buddy Sagus?

85637dab423110830a272897814bc256.png
Here, his literal one line from like five chapters ago.

6c33d6e626942bb38e320527e8a6ea0a.png
Delfador does not remember our good buddy Sagus.

c242606c5d16a0e39ea6bec8d2f8a463.png
dc51ea22d7062ac7231700fa5f0aa4ed.png
7a22780832e7702b4f106a6f7c77e530.png
Again; that was his One Line. All we've seen has been him in opposition to our boy.

cda138d84358bb22ff269ffded5e0c38.png
8a717ca328cbe98347bf0446d2f7c6ff.png
b6079569923c890f436ee69423c936de.png
Show, don't tell! He just all but stated outright he killed Leollyn...

647e9b6c90a7ac2abbf1567d73b050e9.png
... who died BEFORE Delfador brought the book back.

3f534b5c64ed6e63b8e331e80eb50a46.png
The final fight is going to be bloody. Wish I'd sent out another couple north, but we have 12 turns to do this.

fde01c0442808410fe9c50415c546b23.png
A bunch of skeletons, a dark adept, a ghost, a chocobone - the latter is obviously the threat. Not a full keep, so he's broke.

224db3bbeea863dce4951fa9626ac387.png
Chocobone softens up Nalim, gets murdered in exchange, dark adept finishes. The Classic Arkildur-Gwabbo maneuvre. Not much that could be done to stop that bar pulling out of the doorway entirely. Which I guess there was no reason not to, but, eh.

00e9395aa4e53e523611e4126062ec66.png
Okay, my open front may have been too open and not enough of a front.

9273a32a25663493ff8f841e0e2d692c.png
3819eb6248a338f82e560eb38f4aced3.png
8ddcd1a7a315dbcfa6b7185592c05949.png
Still, their opening shot was always gonna have to be something damn special to stop us.

7157635b28a639049d7d33405c35337e.png
Bring it home, Delfador.

3d14ec26542d914d26f845d77bf2202f.png
Sagus... does not get a death quote.

cca0afa1024808cf5822c33f32e472c6.jpg
ebb03c335aad8b8c8437f0444b12cd4c.png
That's. It. Apparently. I'm so stunned I forget to take a picture of the statistics, and had to go back into the replay to fish them out.

7aada7294156dcc7e90fe9cb895306fe.png
9d1d50aa122cf077292fe8f268404922.png
a4eba3da377ec407c4d147330b930f50.png
hagiography.

201185eb4994049879f3819e6021ddd3.png
Subtract 19 kills and a death from this; it's counting them twice.
So. That was definitely a thing. One I'm not entirely sure what to make of.

Here. I've been wanting to show this off for some time.

cb16578f0f469776070b4aaf83becf06.png
About halfway through the campaign, I actually decided I needed to consult the walkthrough, because I just... did not know what to expect from the game next. That isn't a good thing when the challenge of a Wesnoth campaign comes in large part from cultivating a powerful army. I'd gotten invested in humans, I'd gotten invested in ghosts, and now I had Chantal's fresh elves. After you cut ties with that initial human force, there was no sense of MOMENTUM. You just kinda... had whoever you had, and rolled with it. Particularly as in the final stretch you have all-promoted guys anyway. I will say that the game letting Kalenz and ... the dwarf guy recruit T2s was a really good idea that did a lot to mitigate this. But it was chaotic, and disordered. It's hard to express how much it throws you off.

It's not that a medley of forces is a necessarily bad thing. It's not a bad idea. I'm just not sure a Wesnoth campaign is the place to pull it off. Minor related annoyances; I'm still mad that the one time you get Explicitly Delfador's Retinue, it vanishes without a trace a couple maps later.

Story time! My favourite. I mean, I graduated in this shit, of course it is. But really, it's just kind of ... bland? Delfador is a very stock character in HTTT, he's the old wizard mentor. Except old wizard mentors have to have more to them. The fat guy who mentors Pug in Magician is a lazy, jovial old cunt who has absolutely peaked at Regional Scholar; Belgarath is a mood-swinging wanderer who'd really rather just be left alone doing petty crime and discovering gravity and shit, but while he's here he's absolutely going to fuck with people; Obi-Wan Kenobi is a world-weary veteran who knows his ideals are right but can't fight for them hiding out in a filthy world. Delfador is... what, kind of a bitch? Vaguely? What do you get when you strip Delfador's age and power away from him? Memoirs was their opportunity to explore that.

They don't. A young Belgarath still acts like Belgarath, and you can see young Obi-Wan's character before the bitterness of his worldview collapsing in front of his eyes. A young Delfador... is just kind of... a guy. He fights for his vale, he saves Leollyn because That's What Heroes Do. He accepts the beacon of being the Head Honcho of Light, but it literally never comes up again; the fact that he tries to evade the absolute of saying he loves the light is the most characterisation he'll ever get. He saves the elves because that's what heroic wizards do; he saves the king because that's what heroic wizards do; he saves the kingdom because that's what heroic wizards do. He says Sagus was once a good man because that's what heroic wizards say, even though Sagus was a confirmed murderer before ever even seeing the book. And, yes, it's not entirely fair to compare a narrative-light game to a novel and a film series, but this was Delfador's time to shine. He could at least have stood for something. You have the time to flesh out your protagonist. Even Mal Keshar had personality.

But, you know, it is at the very least a nice snap-shot of the struggles of the time. It's just that, bluntly, undead incursions and orc raids are kind of what Wesnoth's ALWAYS going through; and humans, elves and dwarves squabble before ultimately putting aside their differences and ending the threat. The Land of the Dead, the Book of Crelanu and Delfador's evasiveness in the face of the staff of power were massive, massive missed opportunities. What if he truly had to embrace the dark to fight it - but, unlike Mal Keshar, he does master it? He doesn't fall? That's what's remarkable about him, not just elves saying 'ohhh he glows with power!' And the fix is, for once, simple; after the return from the Land of the Dead, Delfador never loses the ability to recruit and recall his undead and magi.

Instead of constantly switching factions ENTIRELY, Delfador always keeps his core. That makes him unique. And the help being T2 (Kalenz / dwarf guy's support, and the garrison at Parthyn / the earlygame veterans) means that you can supplement him with effective support at any given moment, but he always has his core of guys, guys who could always use conventional soldiery to spearhead the charge. And of course the temptation is massive to use these hordes, and his influence, for ill; but when Iliah-Malal is dead, he's good to his word. He lets his spirits rest, his magi return to the tower. If you still have the epilogue... it was a good idea, just the maps were bad. I'm not sure if it's possible in the engine, but what if you could still recall magi after that, and they've levelled like the elves... but they're all now 'aged'. But even a crippled Mage of Light against undead has its uses... Now he's a unique faction instead of a bunch of ordinary factions rotating in and out, and he has an actual arc - ordinary guy with big destiny, faces destiny, beats destiny, becomes ultimate wizard. As opposed to guy with destiny picks up staff and is suddenly affirmed by everyone as ultimate wizard. That's less satisfying.

Maps;
1) Starter mission. Kill orcs with loys. It's FINE.
2) Starter mission. Kill orcs with loys. It's FINE.
3) Starter mission. Kill orcs with loys. Leollyn came too, nominally. It's no longer fine, in the context of what came before, and it's the weakest of the three to boot, kind of a slog; it's BAD.
4) It's another fucking filler map. But at least this one's got a new concept. Now you're killing bandits in a swamp. You can pay off blue, but why would you? It's FINE.
5) That defence map which burned everything I had to very slowly send individual skulls at you. It's BAD.
6) Darnassian flashbacks. Hilariously easy to farm. And you're basically encouraged to. It's FINE.
7) Interesting, flavourful map. It's kind of a slog, but hey. You're given an interesting gameplay challenge in an interesting setting, and it's fairly forgiving, too. Finally ... it's GOOD.
😎 You know how Ike said earlier that the Basic Wesnoth Experience was often just... 'win one engagement to crush their first wave utterly'? Given that you have ghosts against dark adepts, this is like the ultimate example of that. It's on the better edge of FINE.
9) Hey, we're elves now. Spend all your cash on a mystery engagement that never happens. BAD.
10) This is a mixed experience. I feel it needs some more signposting, a bit more encouragement to just book it south. Once I did, it all came together. There's a nice sense of urgency, and a lot of fighting going on. It's borderline, but so was 8; it's GOOD.
11) Kalenz's debut. Recruit T2s, badly outnumbered by orcs but with the terrain stacked in your favour. Probably my favourite map of the campaign; it's GOOD.
12) 42-0 K:D. The one where your small band of elves has to destroy three camps of undead, but the east one is overflowing with powerful undead, but Delfador arrives with powerful troops in the nick of time. This was a lot of fun! GOOD!
13) Save the king, rout the orcs. I like it pretty well; it's straightforward, but there's nothing wrong with that, and despite being a defend mission where you're a while away from the objective I really can't see the King dying in a reasonable time-frame, especially as the last crucial waves from the final bosses are only triggered (seemingly) when you arrive. Four GOOD maps in a row.
14) If only it lasted. Starter mission. Kill undead with loys. There's dwarves who will apparently recruit four ulfserkers and explode. Given its placement, and the fact you aren't actually training any new blood, it's a fish out of water. BAD.
15) That time where I killed the lich and he regenerated instantly back to full. What if the stretch goal actually killed you? What if the chase fucked you? This map just drags and drags and drags. BAD.
16) The climax of the campaign. You have to balance your approach carefully, and the course-correction (in my case, to send more guys west) can be painful. It's too slow in the northeast, but I think I can forgive it. It's a GOOD map, at heart.
17) Go kill Eldred except not. I kind of liked skirting through the forest, going for the objective, but it was a bit ... too incredibly easy, and there's literally no reason to do anything else. Unless I guess you didn't recruit or train any T2s? FINE.
18) Final money sink. It's a promising map! Really! Cordon off the exits and steadily move in for the kill? Except the enemy only recruits like eight guys, and you have T3s and 4s across the board. And 'find the secret exit', give me a break; it's rubbing a horseman against walls for three turns, just in case you had any more money saved. BAD.
19) Beneath Denniscombe manor, many very tangible level 1 undead refuse to be buried. It was pointless, and all to kill an antagonist we had absolutely no emotional stake in killing. BAD.

6x GOOD
6x FINE
7x BAD

Like Legend of Wesmere (which was 5/7/5), very even... on paper. Like Legend of Wesmere, there is a very, very obvious peak. Legend started very strong, while the first wave of elven maps (AFTER their debut) here is four very good maps in a row. And the start is very bland, and the end is the dampest of squibs. When Legend was bad, it was bad with passion. Legend always had personality. Memoirs... just doesn't, really, and that, more than anything else, is its downfall.

Ah, well. What's next? Well, since Ike's started slogging through Heir to the Throne, we've learned about Kalenz, we've learned about Delfador... but what about the subject of the whole damn thing?

140ab8773f7fcf368617bac675b50176.png

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't expect for the campaign to end here. If that's all that's gonna be shown from the events that set off HttT, it probably would have been better to stop after the defeat of Iliah-Malal. I mean, it's not like Sagus was some sort of great loose end that just had to be wrapped up.

Edited by BrightBow

Yeah, it was a good theory they had that they just didn't properly follow through into practice. It's like a pale imitation of the civil war that ends Legend.

It's also a wasted opportunity. I mean, you would think the part of his life where Delfador sees everything he fought for fall apart around him would be the most interesting part of his life. Delfador had been told he would be the most amazing person to have ever lived right in the prologue. Yet, all of his power could not prevent any of this, nor the suffering that the land had to endure in the next 17 years. He was asked to be a force of the light that transcends the limited time of kings and countries, but the campaign stops right before he has to actually make good on his vow.

Edited by BrightBow

Yeah, it's a shame...

I remembered really liking this as a teenager. It was in the minority of campaigns I actually finished (joining Invasion, Brothers, Liberty, South Guard on both routes... maybe another one or two). It's definitely got a lot going on, but just... doesn't build. Still. A mediocre Wesnoth campaign is still a good time, overall.

i'm not posting about heir to throne

Spoiler

23RLOJae_o.png

This man is an entire aesthetic.

T5mZekBI_o.png

XMtkZJSB_o.png

5foOXdKN_o.png

46chS05a_o.png

rt3XivZx_o.png

91XJl3w3_o.png

Basically, we're playing terrorists.

y10XdkPR_o.png

VOJG0zIN_o.png

Weirdly Eloquent Goblins return.

Sd1K03un_o.png

I shit you not, this is actually what Parrhesia looks like in real life, except a little scruffier.

xRgkwLjw_o.png

This guy's our little band leader, and he's all about bashing skulls. Note how like six frames ago the narrative said the villagers weren't allowed to train with military weaponry, but this guy's just got a fuckin' flanged mace.

K6bFJFkq_o.png

Tom Davies came too.

9WlmH3uF_o.png

jAJIkkAz_o.png

OVeD1ghS_o.png

GB3qKoso_o.png

So you remember how like twenty of Heir to the Throne's maps were pivotal engagement -> mop up, victory? Liberty is going to start in a very strong fashion of not-that.

vQ9n5ZR3_o.png

The map is tall. The enemy has four pillagers and a wolf rider; we have a mixture of tier 1 and 2 thugs, some poachers, and some footpads. The units are flavored a little differently - footpad is now Village Youth, thugs are Villagers and Village Elders, etc.

dCnffiUP_o.png

The point of the map is to kill those five guys. We could beat them in a straight fight - but they're always going to try to run north. If any of them make it to the top of the map, we lose. The footpads outspeed them due to the terrain, but the thugs and poachers do actual damage and can't catch up.

o1eDm3qf_o.png

The explicit point, as stated by Baldras, is to get your footpads to cut off the riders and gum them up in zones of control, so that your damage corps can arrive and cut them down.

ohvPagTb_o.png

If they see an opening, they'll happily dart through. They're not here to fight. Astute eyes will notice roughly eight experience on one of the torchy boys and one fewer unit.

xvIGVVvv_o.png

Anyway, this means that you also need to keep a screen of guys ahead of them, so if there's a breakthrough they won't just get ahead of you as the terrain flattens and their speed becomes a factor.

YxGHE89O_o.png

Noble poacher. The first to make it a certain distance up the map procs a conversation.

wXx2uR8x_o.png

AdtirwLn_o.png

TBwkO5fm_o.png

This spawns two extra thugs at the extreme north of the map, a final safety net. How many thugs you get varies based on difficulty, which is a smart and cool difficulty-based design decision! Higher difficulty, weaker safety net.

QX4TLKcl_o.png

The initial trap is doing good work.

HZNO4gjE_o.png

Two guys leaked through - the tier 1 got cut off by Harper, and the leader is running into the final thugs.

GQsvBDil_o.png

Wham.

ziYFbA4j_o.png

It's all over but the formalities.

J03wlauN_o.png

Liberty opens really strongly. I don't remember the rest of the campaign, but I'm really hopeful. That was more interesting design than basically any map in Heir to the Throne.

l4iwAFkh_o.png

ZYfJAPJ7_o.png

XgubRY1q_o.png

ZxRjS0gT_o.png

What a great map.

What a great map. Great art, too. Man, Wesnoth is... really, really unafraid to make its characters ugly. It's admirable!

One thing to note; 'villagers' are neutral, unlike true criminals. Fun fact, though, IIRC the 'village hunter' or w/e the reskinned poacher is will promote to village poacher-equivalent... then just straight-up the normal chaotic T3 crime archers. The others all have proper variants through to T3.

9 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

One thing to note; 'villagers' are neutral, unlike true criminals.

genuinely didn't notice nice

I distinctly remember really liking this campaign, but maybe that's just because I've always dug Wesnoth's outlaws and always kinda wished they were a proper multiplayer faction in their own right and not just kinda stapled to the dwarves.

I remember exactly one thing about this campaign and it's exceptionally minor (the rare magic class) so I'll be watching with interest.

It's incredibly frustrating that Memoirs doesn't even end with Delfador failing to save the prince's. 

map 2 update: liberty is still really good

Spoiler

jQ4XuDNz_o.png

EWZLqg0u_o.png

What a nice little town!

ZUJ5oNSi_o.png

vQu8rsMs_o.png

So this guy's Tier 3. Just for the record.

ZHlE9J5P_o.png

aBp27Cnk_o.png

p6thNRFH_o.png

nn9c7yY7_o.png

T5E5sily_o.png

ZD5Ad734_o.png

Civil disobedience is right!

rycwK06p_o.png

Check out this another really well-designed map. The guy cannot recruit - this is a party from the capital, they have no reinforcements - but they're a bunch of horsemen about to overrun our shit. Open battles are death, but there's sparse enough terrain that we can provoke profitable fights - but there isn't enough good terrain that we can really hunker down. While the proximity of them makes it look like a really intense press to begin the map, Baldras' civil disobedience means that the allied peasants milling around are combatants, so we're bought a turn of war crime being done to try to get set up. It's very clever.

dUNMO2ez_o.png

fs in the chat

Yt25nIar_o.png

The general trend is to get enough footpads to have fodder (70% def on good terrain, 60% on flat!) for your ADC, and then recruit a shitload of archers. This map is just Agincourt.

JzPgRnHj_o.png

At the cost of one recruit and the kill going to Baldras, we're poised for the counter. Also note: the map starts in Phase 3, the final daylight phase, so when you're all ready to counterattack night falls. It's clever! Liberty is good!

ncB3gRPn_o.png

Harper tanks. the remaining peasants fall, and - uh, note what's Incoming on the left.

9FBKofWm_o.png

We manage to extricate him and leave some juicy targets out. Bad news: some of my poachers are gonna get attacked. Good news: it's full dark, and they're full lawful.

afMr5GyA_o.png

Hey, that's what he was there for.

lojT2dpf_o.png

Poacher goes on a dodging spree, but he wasn't in any real danger. Time to thin the herd before it gets light.

zektZInD_o.png

That's more like it!

FF32yWu1_o.png

Looks like the explicitly-criminal option got replaced in some patch since Parrhesia played. Keeping Ranger makes sense, though.

xUCiyLDg_o.png

Three poachers against a guy weak to arrows can do a job.

8V0PooSW_o.png

All in all, a really productive night phase.

wfei1x0h_o.png

Of all the things to lose, a poacher with 1 experience is really high up on my list.

qFbwXeF8_o.png

You need to engage and, preferably, finish off Tarwen before the second daytime phase. This is at neutral time, and if I don't paste him now he'll kill someone on his turn guaranteed.

A64HDFcG_o.png

no you

IkLgiENy_o.png

I could have pegged the other cavalryman, in retrospect - I had the poachers to do it and there was nowhere else for them to go - but then the last guy hits four from four and who am I to argue?

j1MrtE2b_o.png

Nice one.

OEKOnb28_o.png

HQ2iLsUH_o.png

k9yTmxrz_o.png

5Jwkuxrn_o.png

gD4PwnDW_o.png

UYzRirlT_o.png

And with that, our guys all quietly switch off the Peasant X classes and become proper crimesmen, better at night. What a good map! What a good map that didn't at all outstay its welcome! I don't miss Heir of Thorne!

I don't know what those knights were expecting. As they say: "The pen is mightier then the sword." So if a tiny stick like that can already beat a sword, what chance could a sword possibly have against a big stick?

Sceptre of Fire 1: Well, it's not fucking Liberty, that's for sure

Spoiler

db7b81427f843784b249b03dc352bd5d.png
0377831c231e28b555f2f51bc27dba8a.png
3671ccb17e95918c9947b9e0ae6386d9.png
c11aa7da6e3bca935172e73e6ff0850e.jpg
We're going deep, deep into the past. Deep into the lore. This is, as far as I'm aware, the second-farthest campaign in the past.

cf7a943e980502154f32419509ecd790.jpg
Meet Rugnur. He is a dwarven fighter with no traits.

8e0d654ccda13e3e3bf8704e76b915bd.jpg
Haldric the Second, spitting image of Haldric the First; we'll get to HIM later.

41f7e8e31364afbd528c3f4545ef200a.jpg
05b47f33541a72f52642b0a3a2d4fde7.png
7b818a255393f3937276f3d63e725466.jpg
Mercifully, after establishing the scene, they keep the map centred on this point rather than tennissing around the map. Haldric 2's class is Konrad with a crown; he's very Effort (TM). We'll hear the story of the Ruby of Fire later, too. Part of this LP would be neater if we went in pure chronological order, but uh, Rise of Wesnoth is the longest campaign in the game. I need a run-up to that. Sceptre is short and, hopefully, sweet.

2a2f95be44635a51cb6c7e92bbd78cac.png
9c1f68e9f3446c601a302055f1ccc115.png
ce04f96b014257684c85d938158e8dac.jpg
b614c6e4b0509e8e7a68fe1a7d7d2ec6.jpg
d607acf70910fdb33289cd5c6d5d0861.jpg
Oh, God, that name again.

1adeaf1ef505dfbb3ea18a5ecc303c7b.jpg
976fa58e989b651077ffa8abac3c402a.jpg
Haldric 2's portrait is really nice. Rugnur's is powerful. He is extremely Some Guy.

efcdf7b95178d74a13d054c347f60a1f.jpg
addc59acc631f2ab5cddf9be6bff73ba.jpg
Haldric realises he's basically talking international trade deals with a random ICE guy.

c3ff8abb412a1ac9020197bceac7483d.png
0fb9c26170c80ee76a2c51045606e7ef.jpg
fed5c4c87a6f5986cb6a5bed47890254.png
Yeah, we only start with 100 gold, so make it good.

c2e18a14a94e6b74b275137fe439da15.png
6412ad561415668dd7f2a3a9147d137e.jpg
e42e659ec9090da533a6fdb30bd4b4f2.pngd7f335cbfd49411ac325f2c54cd75ca3.png
6d2380840cbb4f6613d81b141b035f20.jpg
9e08cf2f7dbd08cd1ae6dd79c03de090.jpg
You know, I was wondering if they were really gonna get full mileage from a Haldric portrait, but this scene is taking fucking forever. They probably already have more lines from Haldric than from the Two Brothers.

56b2dbeb129c3eb9d03400fabb94c3c6.png
c2c239d2ef219c131ff332a074965cee.png
10ac4e681f368be3fad825dd84bdda11.jpg
bfa61452d2cd53d247c4b36e8b8a0b79.jpg
OH FUCK YEAH. Early loyalists having this cataphract aesthetic? I am SO down with that!

1c1ada34594060ec71da91dac6799209.jpg
Note adorable caravans.

6638457f3757599f65670e82bbd7c86d.png
f9bddea6f02a96d02d20f043e049c199.jpg
9077167980193028283b279ee1420bc2.jpg
Oh, God, stop talking, please. It's not that this is too long (it's a little too long.) but just imagine six seconds between every line while I upload and paste in the screenshot.

7ae16ace1d2179790e5d63a46cd64242.jpg
f1c3591e1e6ad6946335214c1daaa342.jpg
3b07ee5ac58512a820c66686c34717ca.jpg
Iiii stand corrected. Yeah, come to think of it, Haldric II was the guy who reneged on the alliance with Kalenz. Did not realise it was that early. There's a canonical timeline somewhere.

2fa88bde9a99d80de2d0c665764d1687.jpg
5da157c5680df3a834652538add6fe2a.png
a00f699ea1035f11e76e6f7b888c7686.png
Alright. You know what this means, boys; we're going to go murder some knife-eared cunts.

37e31b8a30ed51e102fa80122877d593.png
Count the ways this is a placeholder unit. I'm particularly fond of the distinctive coppertop. But it's understandable not to put too much effort in, this is afaik the only time he appears in anything, ever.

ea8e62bf927ffe864bfdfc1964d9f8d5.jpg
Caravans only move three places a turn. We may as well kill the fucking elves just because they're there, but my mind's always on the purse-strings, as well you should know by now.

f0ef24be39cecb96f7689303b111e498.png
We have a full set of dwarven infantry, but no gryphons. You can really see why they NEEDED to add scouts.

Anyway, I immediately need to restart turn 1 because I realise that I can squeeze in six recruits as long as it's four fighters and two scouts and none guardsmen, and I don't even LIKE guardsmen.

5ac315b6d4fdb34554b872fe66416f22.png
There we go. Precisely 0 gold, 9 profit a turn. 22 villages in all means mad profits when this is said and done. Alanin's a homie dragoon and that's perfect given he's the pace of any two dwarves combined.

907bfcc01f86107d5155d72a33754d95.jpg
One can't help but notice that blue spent their turn not moving. But they do move forward in turn 3 for whatever reason, which is handy, because otherwise the caravan is fucked.

92afa6e0114d990b15bc4a95a5de1d4d.png
31c8ad7f120989a3a4c4aefc5f744801.jpg
(Ignore the first situation, I had to go find it again after clicking through when it took me by surprise). Instead of answering, a bunch of elves murder this longbowman, but he fights back strongly.

f502bc4b8ba3b6a3178820a2540a9bd8.jpg
Tempting to keep jacking villages, trust me, but Alanin's brute force is needed here and now. Hopefully blue can screen.

cda602308481b177bacf31f040ff34cf.png
2d38d8b813464a8c5eb323bf2c91f77a.png
Can't help but notice blue is getting just a little pulverised.

89a6858a2c544285fbf3e55483ca1339.png
7dda1d3a5ba0d57dfa1e8e1fa6aeea5b.png
And they've. Promoted a hero, already, that's. Great.

27f03a5860bee60a9df13757c8b0accd.jpg
14863c4eef3101d7552d9e2a91234379.png
Please, please, PLEASE send more goons north. Also, fuck Landar, he's a tiny, tiny bitch.

b8c66b8024dff3cb79652fdc9cd0ffdb.png
ea5e8718a17bd4461b8e7f7b50b48056.png
*laughs* I'm in danger!!

d0eb3ebb4eb18c38a95cf773a1aa1b1c.png
Rugnur domes this bitch.

fdba74ee4f6cecd8df8cf63da40d1f12.jpg
ded0e1f5213f828f295f5ccd40934265.jpg
dd39d286b38adf2a1c276bb3c60dfeff.png
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

e655f3162a278785a055864fe4d0d4b9.png
Also this... is a thing, I guess. You go, girl.

ebd08c6f369331ca77235dce5e336e05.png
But we can at least pick off a couple shamans.

25cd2121872d8363f3e666e0211c3f61.png
cb5e5e8b17f034bdac681b4a423361ec.jpg
THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANT TO HEAR RIGHT NOW

dbdca4c64fd1f276ad905698c5fc643c.jpg
65ba35becd314022c8c618e6c8cfc0b2.jpg
46d071320735f04243f78741cfa83c0e.jpg
Hhhhe has 500 gold suddenly. I haven't moved the caravans AT ALL.

I need to bait out and kill the captain. Immediately.

ef4906ac80d731f21930db492d9216ab.jpg
But the captain refused to be baited. What if-

5a23d53b7ffc161d5ad8568d1f9482a0.jpg
I mean.

But, no, even producing the more tempting target of Alanin OFF a house isn't taken up. And we aren't taking down the leader with six guys. Maybe if I'd kept thingy on the hill, producing guys... shredding our cash.

No, we need to restart this map from Turn 2 and move the fucking caravan, is what needs to happen. And hope it doesn't get caught up in the fight, I guess.

60d6fd362f3880ad26867e6fd4e8936a.jpg
yep just take your lumps lads
This is actually a fail-state. They do need to hang back on turn 2, let the loys take the hits, then slip through afterwards.

16701d6c2e2775be9a94da9236769c54.png
49479d14a291f15891862f458626de53.png
The human advance goes far better this time around.

9f408057c2ca4ede1b2a5a71e898cc02.png
My village, bitch.

49c31c4436c82981172477778e82750c.png
05615f3e8e99c9c6a1700d29b8266112.png
I'm not sure this is what it means to 'circle the wagons', but then, Californian settlers were never big on macro the way I am.

5ddb3f68968e1c3aa9c93fee84dee5a3.png
Loys get some big hits.

47dc34489d3b35fdff7df7f9a88efd59.jpg
8f6d6f56c7783eb87f3bb8d52ffa09a9.png
Finally. We ... are here. Ish.But we're not trapped here with them...

ec44085f38f1da108d0fc2c18980cd50.png
t h e y ' r e  t r a p p e d  i n  h e r e  w i t h  u s

c6922114b5840eae7e27ae17a035084d.png
406642a20e0b9f04ebcbc7d93653a7b2.png
And we're in time to mop up. This is... playing out far more as expected. It's not a BAD map... so much as it's one that doesn't expect anyone to take its stretch goal seriously.

f09bd3de798df4fe6b6da8db3358d2f7.png
f7c1f9893484cdcc395bd0ccb1d76a53.jpg
Improbably, the royal guard clings to life here. They get their reinforcements now. I'll pull back into the mountains and try to get experience off them.

7982b137af35934c24f497229b75b667.png
ahaha okay great they promoted a shaman...

eb3f65074b48481f1e9c558bdbbbb82f.png
I mean, like... we COULD help...

3b06a863aac4e53f4b5ec63835254eec.jpg
I...

6fa1eb23b52626084f745812e91e1557.jpg
may have overextended. Let's go back a few turns, back to the cold hard reality of the situation, where, really, we... are incidental to the map, can't really get experience at all - the map IS bad, actually. Fuck.

c1dde9f5334644e28f617290e7c5d07b.jpg
This map is TERRIBLE.

4e75a4c39790dbc3682581767bc845f6.jpg
thanks alan.

acf0616fed76a5bcb2f6daf19caa189b.jpg
Your one hope in this miserable retreat is terrain. Which. You know. Wizard.

8be5c4937efde1c1fec9a6c7aed45076.jpg
I hate this with all my hate.

d39a0e8a619e787e6553a24a0ae94494.jpg
Yep, they sure are just sweeping me off the map!

ee965ac8c486b9eb9edafcca7f8742eb.jpg
What does the map want me to do.

ceeaeb9040ddefc34a081ab62f7c8d03.jpg
great

b2f7dcec17fd6cbdc0bf22884dbda95e.jpg
bye

781aa4654c4fc373207d2df2f0e18775.png
This is the issue, by the way. This fucking miserable snowdrift clogs up your convoy by like four turns on its own. You'll notice they have riders. I spent Every Gold Piece I started with.

I could replay this map a third time with a whole new approach. Or I could save-scum.

4d87158e8778a1902bca388f0eeb97f5.png
Hey, turns are basically instant now.

a4b52ad89f5e651201a6c63617958e80.jpg
hey they're going for the snipe again

58c00abeab7e1215cfe2336c8f7ed37c.jpg
All about spreading out, blocking with ZOC as much as possible, and staying out of that fucking sorceress' way. This is not a comfortable lead; this is 5-6 turns away from finishing.

26b9eee0560a06010d7bec9b966d5dab.jpg
I don't think this map used to have the caravans. It was just Alanin.

6550cc40bb8478c89788c9ccc9bbc34d.jpg
Haldric can count in increments of 1250. Wow-ee!

dd654dcd139389dae2668983a8509041.jpg
They're dead, Rugnur.
Everybody, Rugnur.
Everybody's dead, Rugnur.
Everybody's dead, Rugnur.
They're all dead, everybody's dead, Rugnur.
Everybody is dead, Rugnur.
Yes, Rugnur, everybody, everybody's dead, Rugnur.
He's dead, Rugnur, everybody's dead, everybody is dead, Rugnur.

9df4cf8c8e751f36c8ea8d7a78823fbd.jpg
Holy shit, it's over. Between this and Blackeye 1x, remember that Wesnoth campaigns do not do fighting retreats well. Unless you count Dead Water 2. I miss Dead Water. Dead Water was my friend.

Killing the elven leader is impossible if he can't be baited. Hypothetically, I guess I could have loaded to an early state and gunned for him before his reinforcements showed up. But fighting elves on forest and fortress... kiiind of a non-starter, with just six T1 guys and both sides neutral. So why put the leader as an objective? Granted, I guess that at least avoids Wesmere situations where the map just bugs out. Still. It's map 1, you don't have your feet on the ground yet; why lead with THAT? That was awful.

How else to approach it? I guess if Rugnur sits on the fortress spitting out guys, but, again; most to all of them will die, and your economy will tank. I could have gone hard SE... and maybe won, against elves on forest, against a captain that refused to be lured out. Do I even have time for this? Depends entirely on how blue fares, out of my control beyond shoving aggressively with caravans. Yeah, and, reminder; the timer was that tight with me aggressively shoving caravans into a pitched battle.

13ccfd9bd6bbbacafac69ce16a45c376.png
606e4514f2b4bd3942ca529905bf82a1.png
Remember well these guys.

Truly Alanin is a hero.

Edit: I gave this map a shot myself. Haldrick died on the first try, so on the second one I went for a different approach. I was hoping to block the entire castle but I suppose it worked out well enough in the end.

480D6D6C0A4327556507EFF9093BDEC9955C38BE

Edited by BrightBow

map 3 update: liberty well honestly this map is just pretty good

Spoiler

DW1B48ud_o.png

qPyerSXS_o.png

cJ6odSxb_o.png

Is each dot on the travel supposed to be a day? Makes you think.

eV6X0E7B_o.png

8VFpiGRY_o.png

Relana is also a thug. She's got a unique sprite.

o46Butp0_o.png

K86ZfctT_o.png

K6uF64HH_o.png

rNoadvpb_o.png

iAAiNOzS_o.png

XIlP1tl8_o.png

z2tuRq5r_o.png

4wYOBoIC_o.png

It's a big old chaotic battle!

bqQZXGyR_o.png

In the southeast, an orc! He wants revenge for the goblins we killed in map 1.

U3xhAnKm_o.png

In the northwest, a saurian! His name is Thhsthss.

12keLkDd_o.png

hpT739LP_o.png

Fight and kill two guys, with a buddy.

hIhBzFFf_o.png

There's a little more map to the north and south, but not much. It's a pretty hefty map.

HGG0v74K_o.png

Unique (?) to Liberty is the ability to command ally factions. They can be set to attack a certain leader, defend a point, or act normally; to aggressive, defensive, or normal behavior.

JfFDzcde_o.png

Given as the orcs have more money, we'll gun for the lizards first, hold the orcs off, and then win both fights. Easy.

6b8mgCAe_o.png

The lizards also have exploitable impact vulnerabilities, and we do a lot of impact damage.

Lk7mNonK_o.png

It's a little of a hangup that they straight recruit tier 2 skirmishers, but more gold!

dPNnHENK_o.png

We're got some really nice defensive terrain in the south, given as poachers can use swamps at 50%. I can force a lot of good trading with this.

zvTaqgIB_o.png

Some of purple is splittling south, so I posture at the edge of their range to see if I can draw some out.

doElTqwi_o.png

Belatedly, I tell the AI to gun for the lizards to see if they can get those lizard wizards out of the way.

LYujNUPO_o.png

Purple took the bait.

VB6ilgEd_o.png

Green floods in. I'm done recruiting by now, but there's still some in the coffers if it turns.

NNR1Opua_o.png

Hell yeah, crime!

Ivzi7oT1_o.png

Things split perfectly in the north. The two tier 2 guys commit to me, the two tier 1s (including the wizard) commit to the new flank opened by the AI.

JdV9nNLc_o.png

This poacher dodges like five attacks.

K6qdv84Y_o.png

At this point I start to think: maybe I shouldn't be baiting largely with the fail condition footpad?

7BhsPZmg_o.png

Anyway, it's getting dark, and the damage corps has arrived.

KCnr0T1q_o.png

Yow!

ZmJCuUQe_o.png

The guy who looks like Parrhesia promotes.

PPs8b7D5_o.png

Well, purple's done. It's forgivably easy, given as this is only the second level of campaign difficulty, and I kind of set the AI to come with me and go all-in on them.

yPczSa2X_o.png

iDqox3iB_o.png

FSFiAtoW_o.png

The south is doing just fine. I'm not too motivated to move the line, though the southern flank is about to envelop.

X6hloYNM_o.png

Strange move, purple, but acceptable.

ElE1yfLY_o.png

Just the boss.

EqAg8pJl_o.png

You remember the whole thing with Black-Eye that sucks where there's literally no exploitable terrain in your favor in like half the maps? It's the opposite here. This little knot favors us absurdly.

iXaI4cuM_o.png

In case you were curious, like 95 gold of blue has failed to neutralize the lizard wizard yet.

z20ANT6j_o.png

SGqGa5VO_o.png

U7CpR0L5_o.png

Another turn of slugging against green. This has been a really long stationary battle by the standards I've gotten used to, but green's running out of guys.

m26FIO3e_o.png

Blue fuckin' near killsteals me on the boss. He's on like 6 health.

5OPALazD_o.png

u kiddin bro

JV6O51e0_o.png

Anyway, green's broken.

IKM5fLdz_o.png

Blue chokes, and the skirmisher kills his dude.

uQ6FdCSM_o.png

Thanks!

IVGCdpLF_o.png

Green came out, so that happened.

QweeiLAH_o.png

Kill the last lizard for good measure...

IciWMCbW_o.png

Nothing wrong with a luscious tier 3 thug to anchor around. You all saw what those guys could do in Heir to the Throne.

BXHWkCGs_o.png

On the other side, a tier 1 thug ups to 2 off the boss for free.

pitZa0kz_o.png

Then we pepper him with arrows and rocks and give Baldras the kill.

21D1xcTp_o.png

8eDtcgbN_o.png

036tMT5K_o.png

qQNJb7Rl_o.png

It's circumstantial, but it's better evidence than none.

Relana used to be a guy, IIRC called Relgan or Reglan, before the most recent art update for the campaign. Also, you were able to command AI around in very specifically the terrible North Elven map of Legend of Wesmere, I'm not sure if in any other missions.

SCEPTRE OF FIRE 2: Landar vs. the Spiciest Rune

Spoiler

b5b683342a5eddbb820b5f938dc8ec94.png
0dd6ef8e1f98cabc8d61c4bb487164c9.jpg
So now that the Sons of Landar have been established as Wesnoth's foremost force of military might, let's book it into favourable ground.

aa01c7b7d67d3ed133d2fddb8a79e6aa.jpg
All our veterans might be dead and our lord might be a traitless fighter, but at least we have ONE promoted unit ready to hold the lin-

71acd2135cbc6dd1018cf05bb06baa0c.jpg
72936d8adc8960030eb3efe42a0ccd75.png
Ahhhh c'mon.

add4ed01a2f0f2755fe2c2dd899872e2.jpg
Rugnur swallows. Also, lol, they're so confident you can't kill Glindur last map that he returns here.

bb1191716162a78e2ccba8b006115654.png
9f7dd198c71381496c8fd28807e14e3d.png
7a06abd192eab496567743a8a737afa2.png
Glindur's gone from 'enthusiastic guy in charge of arbitrary road toll' to militaristic warlord strong-man.

3d87027a04021143e5ec2471a8cca0ee.jpg
A wild homie appears! With retinue!

94d2b20f8ab4f03274d32578bf644d0b.png
Gotta appreciate the honesty here.

249f2419e292c70b1d19b62ca5f08148.png
5a46d70e521330c59596b9f0eb7e5a75.jpg
"no please let paul blart continue to dictate the unconditional surrender of the colony"

35725f750fc98bfd0c90ac598deb1bab.png
333058a8fc315f64436e6231985eadd3.jpg
Well. I mean. I'd just use a fucking portcullis, me.

ca9d87adde071d4f94a01ee75bf1a780.png
7f9c3b87bada35049f6896d7d76e9fb5.png
we deserve extinction.

f2522e7792f37af5d1c8ad4c586c618b.png
6351268c88e68e11a772852d09258f9a.jpg
bf9c61ab7c7b4b8c291936fdfa381533.jpg
429903ffb5f026f524bb34f86f3607cb.png
24b07fb8bcb554c0d9315c3a7f2ed5dd.png
Hhhhh. Okay.

It takes five days for me to return. I don't really want to do this.

e597b683489a106479960b49185504d8.png
Sure.

9c7f0a91ce0d053cba135b7c7ba1ddd5.jpg
Thrilling. The same guy goes on to activate the one just to his north.

a35ebb036ed696aac3897532dbce4ed0.png
Well, that's two accounted for...

1954dd8ae06c2c38fc90a54aa3749598.jpg
Have I overrecruited again? I hope not.

182474c57013a2bfdd247fd0ac90b87a.jpg
2ea445168031a304204211d6cc4d8515.png
0a956b2466864f7740500b2f4b13c6ac.png
Guardsmen take some dislodging. Don't get me wrong, though, these losers outside the gates are dead fucking meat. In the south, yeah, I know, they have a front of three against two. That's better than two against two, because I want to be attacking them, hard.

c73e1ebd815f22240e584c886aed9bf8.png
And the breakthrough in the north, where we get a better frontage.

889eccae3c7f3486857d9d39238edafc.png
acf3a0eb7ceb1c0892c8b07018a4f6e6.png
Funnily enough, I'd fancy our chances better at killing this elf than the other one.

68ab394246af9ed3cee022bf702b2029.jpg
Three down. I HAVE overrecruited, but there was literally no way to know. I don't like shroud in Wesnoth.

5afadc504c3f119c259489a90db1f3b2.png
Let's kill a couple elves for good measure. It doesn't really matter if people die, but really, elves won't chew through this line of heavy infantry fast enough for it to matter.

At this point, I notice something. The glyphs unlight if someone steps off them. Oops.

8c2329289113073cb91000f826d812d4.png
598053f08fb51d2832fa6c5420a18bc9.png
Then I realise that they light up every time you put a guy on them, and unlight at the end of the turn. So that if you have a guy just repeatedly step on and undo their move, the light effects stack on top of each other until the entire thing is just... red.

cd578d71cdd5acc908be6e131016fe23.png
df1114c0c148a9415147751101996208.png
The haters pick off a scout in the centre and a fighter in the south. More money for me!

ad7a433d75eade9c5e9ae19db192797b.png
This really is like fucking pulling teeth.

fce8df709116f819eaffdad8c6905b34.png
2cc5cc595e3748bfd36e1f6c7cf88040.png
North's clear.

3ec540509a3cc2bb6bca7fded96bc680.png
We avoid further casualties, even skewer an elf on the defensive. The spiciest rune continues to lose exactly one layer of heat every turn.

7bda8ad42a302960ba7180b57973effc.png
This guy might die, but fuck it! Map's in the bag next turn.

dfe5c440c2cc40d157b1a318f5187e4e.png
I need to start pulling back; anyone caught outside the walls, well, I'm guessing things don't turn out well for them. And as a quick scout, this is the only guy who, when slowed, can clear the gate. Unfortunately, as a quick scout, he's also made of paper. Kills a guy, though!

27b78ed9dcf7aa8b0977534f6a7336ac.png
Take a moment to respect this troll before this fighter crushes him into paste.

e530427ca806631fe4d5f1e0514112a7.jpg
Good question!

ebf947c31c90460da0fe93daf6d06bfb.png
Good answer. Rugnur, when he closes off the northwest rune, goes on to have the exact same exchange... with Baglur. So they didn't account for Baglur actually taking one of those himself...

795b901404db9b9209fd98bbdae7ce1f.jpg
24c2022f42bbacee38e9a7342b8ef10d.jpg
185d0e3bc8374350174d33763e275d34.jpg
c58fd586b2ab28f45e4fa1ff9ef6052e.jpg
The gate comes up while I wait for the gyazo to load.

e86e7fbb784fd5c024a373097516d0ed.jpg
c450f7c7c8647ba2adfdb50b3b35da1c.jpg
Do you seriously have nothing better to do? This is why Landar lost the fucking war. You should be on the scale of petty brigand war criminals, but you're more powerful in canon than the Wesnoth army is half the time.

323931c62cf3e5ec38f7d516edaa14d2.jpg
You can see the gate in action at the bottom there. It's a nice gate.

a426fa71eb72605bbb27dba621202552.png
1522a6898576e51bc34e03fad6c1df78.png
Pretty good map. Could've stood to lose the shroud. You'd imagine the dwarves would know their own caves... but it's a nice opportunity for guardsmen to shine.

What the heck does Alanin think he's doing? What good is a messenger who doesn't know their way around? And even if he finds the way, the people there don't know him. Who knows if they even believe anything he says.

SCEPTRE OF FIRE 3: The hammer of Thursagan

Spoiler

958ce180b91672a64d1c2c67d446aacf.png
e21f7077b013efd4f4a3566b81796806.png
efb828941a6ad59a15b919037ee37b4c.jpg
Pennant means cutscene, usually.

aa89fd063400177682729bbdc0d0cce1.jpg
Now THIS guy has a fucking portrait.

e5e8b79068bba55a0cf3860c90f3c841.jpg
1dbd70e99fb7d27b9f55e12dd9228148.png
67b9acad3acce06200458bdf91a49cae.png
57fb2cc974f26cf30840998f4bd1ccde.png
Well, uhm, they did.

45cccedac7907db06db13d682b81e4be.jpg
8c6d77558524306aa445e272afab72e2.png
f9210ce9f540cf6d6e367618438a63b8.png
34ecaaa415342da21a3580e5f832c068.png
Ahhhh mannn, Rugnur, didn't anyone tell you? Cavalry don't go in caves too gracefully.

a32358612806b913038a4cf04bd0b255.png
2599d748fcd0e7bc88101a9e40ce1745.png
afbef1158a504b10204ae8a2028a08fd.png
a0fac71cf8d4a9883a836d6d82d26cfe.png
fe3629b39a272a01c1c2c16662f6178e.png
ddd6cfd1a788656e6bb93fce8a9345c8.png
Yyyeah, kinda have to agree with Durry here.

c3947cb821566b386b0f1e96faf21f28.png
9bb7c74a46ec1e5bcd0c81a4019da107.png
91bb6868d725af887e3cd0ec747ac875.png
That makes... some sort of sense, I guess.

d73c1c16040f570fedd2f285504e451c.png
So, yeah, that's another level of Hero of Another Story. There are two dwarf campaigns; the Hammer of Thursagan, and this one, which actually has Thursagan himself.

dbf31c0774ba0d93efe85b42909adb12.png
3206d83a6ff950a68e8bd5bf0cbbc876.png
97cc0b3a82815b11405b71d5f91f61e2.png
27a88fdad80f73ea7964a40a54301d8c.png
And guess who turns up, but...

6d94afba73fc969922a765195cdd5f85.jpg
3255d6ff4845b84125c9a056f39dd039.png
bwam bwam bwaaamp

e28e67c173fa0a684ed93e41f41b05bc.png
ab12b61eee248165d888815ac1ce78a2.jpg
hup

5a41233ce73d49ad16a32190a586316d.png
Oh, shit. Is that the breath coming from Alanin and his horse, because it's fucking cold? The dwarves are unaffected, which is fine and IC. That's a really cool touch and reinforces him being a fish out of water here. The art has been consistently really good so far.

5a40b7770a70cb9950bb5a2a8f8b187b.png
14db066cec5c4c653af94055ad62c49a.png
b22a4e0921140933b17afb71701f0343.png
31cce6c6a7144514e23ae36f3ba67293.png
f1463abda51530443e003e248d3aa735.png
6b1bdca1f5e9b5f2829e75f760b70cbe.png
So, okay. Let's start to mosey.

04f596269dc8843545cc87511ad0fcb6.png
He's out in this... sssssomewhere.

92ce7c71b8712f6f9bff09e6e819b06e.jpg
Uuuuuhhhmmmm??

edc1d6c4db586b22d5f2e548d71978c9.png
22c58cbcc6dd624e6399589ece9a5ba2.png
Now that your midget head is on screen we can see that yes!

ae4ee3cf8fa1ad2fd52715bf80702d48.png
c0b248928b3d4205dcde1b23f72b7bf2.png
1638d1aa8c846cc7f5857a46275f4cdd.jpg
bbd696beb1266cfad575907506dbbf62.png
634e184843b7bd8b5023d92dc7a904a5.jpg
Baglur translates this line on the next page, but I'm sure you can work it out for yourself, right lads? Well, Krawg's with us now. He's a gryphon, which we have seen before - level 2 flier, 9 move, 10x3 claw. He's homie / intelligent, the latter being useless, since unlike Inky he has no promotion. But he is another scout, I won't sniff at that...

864f6620f1d1de56b20f339aacd5c455.png
This'll do, probably.

22e495fcdf7c6997dbe860d4f59e6508.jpg
Hey, nice.

5fe1ef6b7d288904ebb981104be8c7d4.jpg
d26feb7179b1f6fc3684f39ea84dd4f6.jpg
Suck My Dick
I reload to the start of the turn, since this... had been my first move. Alanin can go north instead, but drive-by some cunt first. Bet it'll be dwarves only, though...

862904985cc5c2892135d53fbc70fb99.png
Given the regeneration, the occasional fearlessness and the pierce and blade resist, really, what DOES counter trolls that we have?

3f6c26416240f0a802bc166c0f079af4.jpg
Not gryphons, apparently! Fuck!

d5ef22b9cdc76a3e215ac54efdd2bf8b.jpg
We get some good breaks this PP, when they're needed. Finishing trolls is essential. We weather EP, more or less; one dwarf clings to his 70% terrain that betrayed him against the troll but keeps him alive against wolves.

b00fcd22bcb16af9c04bb7e4949a86e2.png
These four guys use their entire collective turn finishing off one entire whelp and his 12 health.

b37977a4b840a23d4bdd77d7a94ec36e.jpg
Ohhhh, rarely have I been so happy to be wrong.

f3d0624470e3ea1342b6463b66fd421f.jpg
"Nah cunt"
THE END

d1bb84e3a7747d5d76d92eac90b1ddb5.jpg
600f3d45318f7bb52f453db8afd1e70a.jpg
This is a really, really wordy campaign. Time to condense things a bit, Integrity-style.

424505d54efcab15494fa9855b6b5aa4.png
edb3c9ef9bde5c25b41d772525e69577.png
3626caffcb825f110b992c3810dff7af.png
417577f15d3dfcec67abdc43715a8282.png
G A M E  M E C H A N I C S

aaca1b28531faf1f93cc36762489b887.png
fec92658feab7cd26204b1391842520b.png
3cc73ff7348854dc62105d77bb2439a5.png
54408884ff8d9bf0f230caf642bfb804.png
c0085db2ec765ac43bc698fda42ae0a5.png
This... will take nine turns, if totally uninterrupted. We're on 7/30.

068267177b79e72423c176241393316d.png
Thursagan is the vanilla tier 3 runemaster, the final tier of the runesmith tree; this is, I believe, the first campaign it appeared in before it became a mainstream (if bad) promotion path. Like runesmiths, they get a weaker but magic hammer and slightly superior resistances, and lose literally 31 HP, the axe and now the hatchet. Thursagan has a blue bar, though; that means he can still reach a tier 4, presumably unique.

63c31271fb371973f13e242bbbedde77.png
So we've finally been chalking up some promotions. Rugnur, a scout and now this guy.

fef1d7a0c9538bfb82b67bb5a855ffb3.png
Fighting trolls suuuucks. But we finish this guy off next turn, and then have time to collect ourselves before...

54f731c29b3044837ca3e9903c274e17.jpg
Well, I was gonna say 'the onslaught', but the wolves understandably balk at attacking anyone but this puny guardsman.

a8db4f2302efca8c4dbad018fa3b7b14.png
The other puny guardsman gets a promotion out of the deal, and the first is only one XP off.

8731378cbd8ea4641491cfdefa0a3c39.jpg
Shit! The sidewinder! But Tris fends him off, then kills the whelp on the counter. He was nearly a Tris sandwich!

9466e29aa6eb1439bb1dcc2131ab68cf.png
Everyone collapses on and kills this guy. The DPS just adds up quicker than I'd anticipated. What do you know, both these ogres are strong / resilient.

6d55e18a081cef22ddcc95d73a5237d4.png
Ike's shown these cunts off before, but cursed thought I needed to inflict upon the world; these guys are basically like. You know how there's this style of weird creepy 'hyper-realistic' Pokemon art? The ogres look like if that was applied to Obelix. You're welcome!

13a1abff41eb5e1114f958e7336fcae9.png
God, I love pathfinders. This flank needs help, though.

dd2b8f2bb3f7c40cd9a2ba8135e5a140.png
Two western promotions in quick succession, the stalwart and this new pathfinder. I send a steelclad, stalwart and scout east. Thursagan's six turns away, now...

b03247fa89dd6a873a22583ddcbe232e.png
Hhh, this much damage? Not a fan, gotta say!

2d9690c1ae5d90d1b0521be1d84caf31.png
I caught this frame. It was too perfect not to post. He missed, though. Eight more XP for Baglur, who honestly probably needs it most, being a homie with poor DPS.

b05f97618d1762756f40bd6b39f2cbc3.png
These are probably the last three enemies on the map, at this stage.

8da84b6f71789053b6d9cc15bb020237.png
4195f6aaa647b86e213d2ceef2436f16.jpg
But we wear them down eventually.

4b21264c481f4e0f09e217a77aa4cde8.png
Heading north eventually reveals this guy, but, you know. He's. In a random pond in the middle of nowhere, that's a tough ask.

501d4d61e8a664fe4d870c2a567e26b1.jpg
b5b5d1f7c3f9c26b956acf02eeb088f5.png
29a4373a58b5e96bf553e3676a6bf29d.png
Actually, I liked that map a lot. Nice and straightforward, hold your ground, and it lasts basically the perfect amount of time to kill (okay, practically) everything. You have a very clear, defensible position, weak fast enemies intermixed with slow tough ones. And you get another homie scout. No complaints, for the first time so far this campaign.

It's so strange that Gryphon's are vulnerable to impact damage of all things.

And I guess those pants actually do kinda look the ones of Obelix. Neat.

Edited by BrightBow