Jump to content
Alastor15243

How is the chapter 5 swordfight rigged?

Recommended Posts

So, this is something I’ve been wondering about, and as I was replaying Birthright, I noticed that Ryoma got really lucky and damn near killed the mystery purple guy. I know the fight is rigged to let Ryoma survive a few hits, but it seems the rest of the fight is randomized. Has anyone figured out exactly what the game’s instructions for the fight are, and whether or not it’s rigged so Ryoma can’t get a lucky kill?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes the purple dude stays alive with less than 10 hp, sometimes with more than 20. But I never saw Ryoma beating him, probably to show that this guy is a big deal. He is fought in Rev after all and he was quite strong story-wise.

That being said, he and his army got his ass kicked by Inigo, Severa and Owain BEFORE a certain power up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

....I've had Ryoma win on Lunatic, It's pure RNG as far as I can tell. It's just 9/10 he'll do around half damage to the boss and die after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like they rig it so that it's very unlikely for Ryoma to win.  So not rigged in the sense that they make set things happen in a certain way or lock out Ryoma's ability to kill the enemy, but more that they make the fight incredibly unfair for him.

Kinda has it coming, if you ask me.  I hate how he kill-steals in the chapter prior and how he's just stupid OP with that damn sword.

21 minutes ago, DemolisherBPB said:

....I've had Ryoma win on Lunatic

That would tick me off more than he as a unit already ticks me off.

That's valuable experience he's taking away that could've gone to units who actually need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

That's valuable experience he's taking away that could've gone to units who actually need it.

Eh, I'd say it was worth it to actually be amazed at Ryoma winning. He didn't actually do anything after from what I remember but this was back when I going to do my first run of Revelations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

That's valuable experience he's taking away that could've gone to units who actually need it.

Au contaire I'd rather Ryoma get it. Corrin on Hard or Lunatic is probably already approaching the soft cap on significant EXP gain. And when the only other two "combat" units in that Chapter are Rinkah and Kaze, the former being nonexistent if I went CQ, there is little lost if Ryoma scored the kill. Therefore, there is little lost if Ryoma wins, and I'm spared the headache of this chapter, which is rather difficult due to Corrin being the only one who can take two hits in this low allies, many enemies, and no chokepoints fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kaze's favourite pillow said:

That being said, he and his army got his ass kicked by Inigo, Severa and Owain BEFORE a certain power up.

Hence my conclusion it was a downgrade, but somewhat off topic.

I don't remember Ryoma winning, but I haven't played this dozens of times to try and confirm. It's likely possible, it's not the kind of situation that seems to be designed to be unwinnable for Green Ryoma. The amount of experience it's worth you could debate, especially on a difficulty where trying to attack with someone not named Corrin is essentially suicide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Au contaire I'd rather Ryoma get it. Corrin on Hard or Lunatic is probably already approaching the soft cap on significant EXP gain. And when the only other two "combat" units in that Chapter are Rinkah and Kaze, the former being nonexistent if I went CQ, there is little lost if Ryoma scored the kill. Therefore, there is little lost if Ryoma wins, and I'm spared the headache of this chapter, which is rather difficult due to Corrin being the only one who can take two hits in this low allies, many enemies, and no chokepoints fight.

The boss is the one unit on that map who gives Dragon Corrin real experience. I think it's about 50.

Kaze can defeat every other enemy in the chapter with judicious use of Sakura's aura, Azura's singing, the HP Tonic, and at least modest stat gains on his first level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did see Ryoma defeat the boss... once. But it's much more likely that he gets defeated when the boss is at about half to 1/3 health. Also, it seems that Ryoma's hard coded to never crit the boss when he has a fairly good chance of doing so.

30 minutes ago, Zoran said:

The boss is the one unit on that map who gives Dragon Corrin real experience. I think it's about 50.

Kaze can defeat every other enemy in the chapter with judicious use of Sakura's aura, Azura's singing, the HP Tonic, and at least modest stat gains on his first level.

Point taken that Corrin can only get any real exp from the boss, but I feel that it's too much work to set up Kaze to kill everything else when you consider the situation, especially since even in Conquest he's nothing to write home about imo.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DemolisherBPB said:

Eh, I'd say it was worth it to actually be amazed at Ryoma winning. He didn't actually do anything after from what I remember but this was back when I going to do my first run of Revelations.

Man, I have played this map over thirty times and I have never seen Ryoma kill the Mystery Guy. I would say that 95 % of the time Ryoma dies by Turn 4. Some times Ryoma dies by Turn 3, and only twice have I seen him survive till Turn 5-6. I honestly believed that Ryoma was 'programmed' to lose.

 

17 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Au contaire I'd rather Ryoma get it. Corrin on Hard or Lunatic is probably already approaching the soft cap on significant EXP gain. And when the only other two "combat" units in that Chapter are Rinkah and Kaze, the former being nonexistent if I went CQ, there is little lost if Ryoma scored the kill. Therefore, there is little lost if Ryoma wins, and I'm spared the headache of this chapter, which is rather difficult due to Corrin being the only one who can take two hits in this low allies, many enemies, and no chokepoints fight.

Mystery Guy is the only meaningful Experience that Corrin can get on this map, yet these Exp points only affect her getting Dragon Fang a bit earlier. And since Kaze cannot kill the boss, the Exp loss is not that important. At the same time, Kaze can get all normal kills but two in Hard, and all but three in Lunatic, to end at L7-8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my lunatic run Ryoma had him down to around 10 hp, I've had Ryoma beat him on a hard play through though. He usually lasts about 4 turns. I've noticed the same thing with Xander on the next chapter in BR. 

 

what I don't get is why he can avoid this crap but when I need him to avoid one attack anywhere else its a nnnOpe. Fates RNG be nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience, Ryoma is rigged to avoid hits until Spoilerman is in range to be OHKOed by Corrin, then the RNG is let loose. Personally, I've never seen him win, but his opponent does have about 70 % listed hit, so it's pretty unlikely to happen anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...