Who do you think will be the main Villain?

Do you think that the Church will be evil? / Main Villain  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think the main villain will be? (final villain)

• The Church
    • Opposing countries
    • Evil religion separate from the Church
    • Other

I'm not very sure myself on who it might be. I want it to be the church but my gut tells me it will be opposing countries.

I want to hear what you think about this considering it has been one of the most confusing thing about these trailers imo.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bet is a multi-country conspiracy to create a war that would shake up the political landscape of the continent. Basically using the war to change the dynasties in power for their own in a more covert manner than straigth up rebellion. 

The thing is, we have two trailers of this entry already, and in none of them do we see any of the three protagonists fighting against even one of the other two. When it came to Fates, it was clear in both trailers that Nohr and Hoshido were fighting against each other, and in both of them we would see Xander and Ryoma directly confronting one another.

Similarly, in Echoes it was very clear the two nations of Sofia and Rigel were at war, although that one's a remake so it didn't surprise anyone.

In Three Houses, on the other hand, even though we have two trailers, they've shown the protagonists battling and even commanding their armies as if to suggest they're at war with each other but they have never actually shown them battling against one another (which would have been really cool, by the way). I mean, not even half a second of a cutscene of them sparring at least. On the contrary, they appear to be friendly with each other. So I believe IntSys just wants us to think that will be the main conflict but it's actually not.

Edited by Chopper...

6 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

My bet is a multi-country conspiracy to create a war that would shake up the political landscape of the continent. Basically using the war to change the dynasties in power for their own in a more covert manner than straigth up rebellion. 

I thought about that as well. As a xenoblade 2 fan that plot line seems very similar to the Praetorium's role in the story in which Amalthus basically controlled the war with Mor Ardain and Uraya

My hope is one of the three Lords, namely Dimitri, in conjunction with the Church in a kind of tragic conflict. Most likely it's just the Church and/or some god whose been pulling strings behind the scenes, potentially Sothis as a kind of late game twist after releasing her or something.

25 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

The thing is, we have two trailers of this entry already, and in none of them do we see any of the three protagonists fighting against even one of the other two. When it came to Fates, it was clear in both trailers that Nohr and Hoshido were fighting against each other, and in both of them we would see Xander and Ryoma directly confronting one another.

Similarly, in Echoes it was very clear the two nations of Sofia and Rigel were at war, although that one's a remake so it didn't surprise anyone.

In Three Houses, on the other hand, even though we have two trailers, they've shown the protagonists battling and even commanding their armies as if to suggest they're at war with each other but they have never actually shown them battling against one another (which would have been really cool, by the way). I mean, not even half a second of a cutscene of them sparring at least. On the contrary, they appear to be friendly with each other. So I believe IntSys just wants us to think that will be the main conflict but it's actually not.

Actually Dmitri is shown on the battlefield as an enemy in the first trailer and Edelgard is on your team.

Edit: I was wrong it was someone else

Edited by Emblemier Ben

25 minutes ago, Emblemier Ben said:

Actually Dmitri is shown on the battlefield as an enemy in the first trailer and Edelgard is on your team.

Edit: I was wrong it was someone else

It was Mercedes who is at least still part of the Blue Lion House that Dimitri heads in the initial combat and then later on we see Edelgard and Byleth fighting Hilda, Mustache Teacher and Purple haired guy from Golden Deer House. Ashe is also among them as an enemy unit even though he's from the Blue Lions.

In all likelihood that was a mock battle exercise while at the Academy where we have to face the other two houses in a challenge. Someone did a deep dive analyzing the map and it's almost certainly at the base of Garreg Mach Monestary and the same map in those scenes. 

Though I guess it could potentially be something like Edelgard and her House attempting to escape from the school and them trying to stop her. But that's a bit more unlikely.

6 minutes ago, Enduin said:

It was Mercedes who is at least still part of the Blue Lion House that Dimitri heads in the initial combat and then later on we see Edelgard and Byleth fighting Hilda, Mustache Teacher and Purple haired guy from Golden Deer House. Ashe is also among them as an enemy unit even though he's from the Blue Lions.

In all likelihood that was a mock battle exercise while at the Academy where we have to face the other two houses in a challenge. Someone did a deep dive analyzing the map and it's almost certainly at the base of Garreg Mach Monestary and the same map in those scenes. 

Though I guess it could potentially be something like Edelgard and her House attempting to escape from the school and them trying to stop her. But that's a bit more unlikely.

Yeah, realised after I commented. That last idea of yours is pretty cool, I actually think that Dmitri's army might be the army that is extremely loyal to the Church, which inevitably ends in you facing them down in a battle in Garreg Mach Monastery on your way to stopping the Church.  

1. Empires are historically portrayed as being evil

2. Colour scheme of Black and Red which are the two most commonly used colours to show someone is evil

3. BLACK Eagles even though the distinguishing colour is Red. Why not Red Eagles?

4. A push for players to choose Edelgard's House for the first playthrough.

Therefore, I hope it's Edelgard and the Adrestian Empire that tricked us into helping her to destroy the crests so they can overthrow the church and rule over the continent. 

In reality, it will probably be someone predictable like the church. 

Edited by zuibangde

7 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

I hope it's Edelgard and the Adrestian Empire that tricked us into helping her to destroy the crests so they can overthrow the church and rule over the continent. 

Great idea, but to be honest I doubt that they'd go with that because people would go mad.

59 minutes ago, Enduin said:

I know, but as I said before, nowhere in the two trailers does it depict any of the three protagonists directly fighting against one another. It's wierd, because if they were to become enemies then the trailers would have shown at least some small footage of it by now, specially since they're trying to make us believe the story is about the three houses fighting against each other.

Main issue with one of the three Lords being the antagonist is the fact that we can choose our House, Byleth looks quite important and it would be very surprising if they didn't have us stay with that House throughout the game.

While I want and would love for each to have a distinct and unique role in the story that doesn't change at all due to our House selection and we simply see the story unfold from their PoV, meaning we could end on the bad/losing side of things, I doubt that is the actual case. Most likely all three Lords will work together and there will be very little variation between our House selection and how the story unfolds and the true enemy will be the Church or some other exterior force to them.

The only alternative to that is to basically make it a Fates style situation where whoever we decide to choose as our House through the magic of Byleth become the heroes of the story and one or both of the other two Lords magically become the enemy and the only difference is who ends up in those roles. Which would most likely suck as they would have to make all three potentially interchangeable as both Hero and Villain and that sounds like a recipe for really bland and contrived characters and story events to work for all three. To customize it to fit and be unique for all three would be way more work than to just have everyone have a fixed role that we see from from their PoV.

21 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

I know, but as I said before, nowhere in the two trailers does it depict any of the three protagonists directly fighting against one another. It's wierd, because if they were to become enemies then the trailers would have shown at least some small footage of it by now, specially since they're trying to make us believe the story is about the three houses fighting against each other.

I can't say I agree with this. That we haven't seen them in either trailer fight doesn't really mean anything. The first was a teaser that was super sparse on details and the second was almost entirely focused around introducing the school elements and selling that experience with virtually no other information about the game. If the whole intention of the Academy is to be a kind of first Act only setting, as many of us suspect it is, it makes sense that they haven't really shown us much of anything later in the game. Let alone the three Lords becoming enemies if that is the case. Establishing character history and relationships before they become challenged is super basic and common and it would be really foolish to spoil that later conflict so early on in the marketing. Heck if they were smart they wouldn't actually spoil it at all and intentionally not tell us that there is ever conflict between the Three Lords so that it's a real surprise for players when they actually get the game.

Comparing it to Fates is questionable at best because the whole premise of that game was around changing Fate and how one person's choice tipped the balance. If Three Houses really is about Three friends who for one reason or another end up on opposite ends of the battlefield and our choice as Byleth doesn't alter that in any way it would make sense to not advertise that. Especially since there aren't multiple SKUs and DLC campaigns they need to justify and market to people. It's all just one game.

That all said I think it's all quite unlikely and all three will just end up working together, as boring as that is.

Edited by Enduin

I mean, for all we know, Sothis could be the final villain (or at least something tied to Sothis, hence her being put to sleep) with her being released through Byleth's actions being the folly that threatens Fodlan.

Being real though, I think it will be the Church of Sothis in some form. It might be the matron, it might be someone close by but the church will be villainous in some form.

The church people seemed good to me, they wouldn't be Fodlan's main religion for nothing. I'm saying it's some dudes trying to be Loptyr guys and try to summon a bid bad DRAGON! Or it could very well be Rapahel, his defense could make him unkillable.

2 hours ago, Enduin said:

Heck if they were smart they wouldn't actually spoil it at all and intentionally not tell us that there is ever conflict between the Three Lords so that it's a real surprise for players when they actually get the game.

The whole point is that they are already hinting at a war between the three. At present, nobody would be surprised if a war started between them because that is actually what most people are expecting.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

I mean, for all we know, Sothis could be the final villain (or at least something tied to Sothis, hence her being put to sleep) with her being released through Byleth's actions being the folly that threatens Fodlan.

I would like this :lol: but then, there are some people who want to marry her and stuff. Not that being a villain ever stopped Robin from marrying them in Awakening, though.

4 hours ago, Rose482 said:

This lady right here screams "main villain" to me

Really? She screams "I'm going to tragically die in the Avatar's arms moments after revealing I'm his mother" to me.

I'm a no on predicting Sothis being the villain. Though I'm certain Byleth will immediately trust her even when I reasonably wouldn't. I'm also a no on "The Church" being the villain when the main hub is this massive Monastery/School/Embassy location. Maybe the religious elite will have us doing their bidding around Fodlan before revealing their true intentions. This three Houses set up is probably to get the kids competing to take out as many "heretics" as possible. Guess that'd be a cool narrative. But altogether I think it's the leaders of the individual countries that will be the antagonizing force. This supposed peace between nations will probably not last, and if there is a mind controlling dark force as there often is, they're going to be taking over those leaders, and the three Houses will need to set aside their differences and convince their citizens that borders are just theoretical.

Edited by Glennstavos

It's the Church. The only other possible option is that one guy in the trailers that appears to have a big whip sword. Although actually, we have three nations and they seem to be the only three nations on the Continent. That's one nation more than Valentia but unlike Valentia, all the nations on the Continent are at peace. Maybe another nation from another continent would be the main villain similar to Valm in Awakening?

Idk, surprisingly, there's still not a whole lot we know about the game, which is surprising considering it's actually just a few months away.

I say it's the super evil looking guy with the pale skin we saw for a split second near the end of the trailer at the 4:59 minute mark.

He just looks so obviously evil it's not even funny, meanwhile Nicegirl McGoodwoman over there looks like a third helping of Emmeryn.

Plus, considering this franchise's insistence on shafting its female leads I don't see a female main antagonist anytime soon if at all.

Personally i think i will be the Church will be the main villain, but no in a evil church way, rather an in Well-Intentioned Extremist way. I also think the Empire will respond in kind and act as an Anti-Hero. It will make a game without real villain, but rather an Order vs "Chaos", than Good vs Evil.

Until a dark order came out of nowhere, and claim that they'll take control of the world by summoning an ancient dragon, as usual.

I think the enemy church that might be the main antagonist organization that is fighting the Garreg Mach Monastery and some of the other countries (either Albinea, Sreng, Almyra, Brigid, and/or Morfis) that aren't part of the three major countries run by the Garreg Mach Monastery be as the secondary antagonistic countries. I'm still think the three major countries and the Garreg Mach Monastery are still allies for the army.

Edited by King Marth 64