Best Way to Deal With Douglas?

I've been rampaging through FE6 for the first time, and at last I'm a little stuck (to be fair, I have save stated plenty so far, but very rarely have I had to use them and try not to- had to slaughter Thite's and Klein's minions though).

I know keeping Douglas alive is the sole requirement for 16x, but he doesn't seem to make that easy. He moves, attacks, and isn't recruitable. Now insofar as I can see, I have three options:

1. Take advantage of his low move and just keep playing cat and mouse. Seems the most tedious.
  2. Place him against a wall, ideally two, and keep him there with units who cannot kill him and who get continually healed when hit. It appears Elffin he won't attack, since my one try where I thought talking would at least modify his AI didn't do so, and yet rather than try OHKOing Elffin, he tried for the more durable Roy. And I could use Sin and Igrene as well. Melee units unless disarmed I'm guessing could result in him doing a suicide attack.
  3. Give my level 12 Saul the Sleep Staff and hope he hits him for up to 15 turns of disability. That should be enough to raid all those chests (too many if you ask me, but it's the result of FE6 strangely lacking enemy droppables) and steal from Narcian, plus the Secret Shop and Zeiss. What other uses would Sleep have?

Are there any better options for managing Douglas? He seems quite unfun, second only to 14x so far (14 owing to a Sage Lugh with Pent-like offense and dodging, plus some sheer dumb luck, was surprisingly not the nightmare it should've been). Is this the trial for Aureola? Having the patience of St. Elimine with this guy?

I think I'm going to redo this battle from the beginning rather than load a save state. I should've consolidated my forces at the beginning rather than send some in via both entrances, because it sent Hugh (and Douglas) to the right where Roy was not and he became an Elfire gallinipper. Making it too annoying for Astolfo to do his lockpicking.

I usually wait until he comes out on the right and use a Sleep on him with my Clarine. While he's snoozing out in the fresh air, my units are marching in, and I'll block the entrance with Lalum. After that I just play the chapter normally.

I remember I baited him with a weaponless Rutger who just kept him in the bottom right corner while I used my other units to beat the map. 

Yeah, using one person who can survive his attacks (but won't attack back) to decoy him away from the rest of your army is how I beat chapter 16.

Keep in mind that there are two approaches to the throne room, so keeping Douglas occupied in one of those hallways while the rest of your force comes through the other should be pretty simple.

Edited by Paper Jam